Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Topics/Category Organisation Update 20:45 - Post 100

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

adox wrote: »
    So I have all the "ask" forums at the top of the page now with the feedback etc next and then every other category all scrunched up in one small box? I presume this isn't the future?

Hope not....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Is there an A-Z of topics that's really obvious but I just can't find it? :o

I can imagine being a new user, clicking on a few headings, not being able to find a specific forum for what I want to discuss, searching in the search bar which shows no results (it never works for me anyway!) and assuming there isn't anything for my topic of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

argh my forums are out of order.

**** change!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Posy wrote: »
    Is there an A-Z of topics that's really obvious but I just can't find it? :o

I can imagine being a new user, clicking on a few headings, not being able to find a specific forum for what I want to discuss, searching in the search bar which shows no results (it never works for me anyway!) and assuming there isn't anything for my topic of interest.

Indeed.. from that point of view it's a massive step backwards.. makes it look like the site is about a quarter of the size it is.

No-one is going to spend ages trawling through sub-menu after sub-menu to find something they want. Sure it's not as bad for existing users who have My Forums lists but even there there'd be forums I'd dip into now and then but not on a regular enough basis to add it to my own list that are now buried.. somewhere!

So, it doesn't benefit new users and it doesn't benefit existing ones.. who's supposed to be the winner here?

And for the record.. this isn't a rant against change "just coz" but from what I've seen so far and reading the last thread, I can't see why this has been done in the manner it has - especially if (per Dav's update above) these menus aren't final yet? That's only going to confuse people more?

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Indeed.. from that point of view it's a massive step backwards.. makes it look like the site is about a quarter of the size it is.

No-one is going to spend ages trawling through sub-menu after sub-menu to find something they want. Sure it's not as bad for existing users who have My Forums lists but even there there'd be forums I'd dip into now and then but not on a regular enough basis to add it to my own list that are now buried.. somewhere!

So, it doesn't benefit new users and it doesn't benefit existing ones.. who's supposed to be the winner here?

And for the record.. this isn't a rant against change "just coz" but from what I've seen so far and reading the last thread, I can't see why this has been done in the manner it has - especially if (per Dav's update above) these menus aren't final yet? That's only going to confuse people more?

Strongly agree. And needing a couple of clicks every time you want to access a forum when you could access it in just one click in the past is just tedious.

Really makes boards look so much less than it is, not great for new users, and although I read updates, cannot see what the benefit i meant to be.

And nope definitely not just moaning cos we don't like change.

• Advertisement

I'm just happy that I've subscribed to the forums that I actually frequent, so all I have to do is click on "My Forums" and it shows me.

There better not be ever any intention of changing that. It's the best part about boards. Also I somewhat think that After Hours should be placed outside of "Social and Fun" and be its own category alongside the likes of Zombie Survival. It's arguably the most popular forum within boards, so should be given more of a highlight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

I don't like this at all, it's a big step backwards in my opinion. Now instead of simply being able to hover over the menus at the top and get to the forum I want without a single click, I have to click two or three times and scroll for many of the forums I want to access.

Why not just leave well enough alone? It was fine as it was but now it's a complete pain in the ass to navigate.

I don't like this at all, it's a big step backwards in my opinion. Now instead of simply being able to hover over the menus at the top and get to the forum I want without a single click, I have to click two or three times and scroll for many of the forums I want to access.

Why not just leave well enough alone? It was fine as it was but now it's a complete pain in the ass to navigate.

The easiest way would be to subscribe to the forums you like. Even before, to visit a random forum there would have been two clicks to access them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Why was there a need for a change ?
    What does this bring to the site, that the old look wasn't ?

Even before, to visit a random forum there would have been two clicks to access them.

Nope I don't think so. Not on a desktop at least.

Hovering over something brought an extension to it, to view the forums available, and then just one click to choose the forum.

Now it seems less user friendly to even browse for forums of interest, cos they're all on this one big list, rather than spread out so you can easily see what may be of interest to you.. and then more clicking and extending to find and get into what you want.

Meh.

• Advertisement

Why was there a need for a change ?
    What does this bring to the site, that the old look wasn't ?

As just an ordinary user, from a desktop perspective at least, is that it looks a little less clunky at the top of the screen - but ultimately giving the impression that there's less to the site than there is, and making everything harder to access.... so, em, yay :D

There must surely be some benefit but honestly no idea.

While we're on the topic of the format, is there any way to move the bar on the left a bit to the right by a few pixels? I only just now noticed (after a decade of being here) that my name looks like:

boneyarsebogma
    n

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Increase the font size in the menus or someone come over here and find those glasses I got from specsavers about 3 years ago that I haven't needed since .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Don't like the change at all to many clicks now in the one drop down menu to find what your looking for. And the drop down menu if you leave two of them open it fills my screen and my RES i am working off is 2880 x 1800 so as you can say its no small area at all. Disappointed with the change needs to go back to the way it was.

The old way was perfect and didn't need a change. As they say if its not broking don't fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

They're turning into Reddit :eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Touch site not working, just keep getting... 500 internal error

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

deco nate wrote: »

Working fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Can i suggest that if you open a second "master" category that the previous one closes automatically to negate the need to scroll so far down the list to get to what you want.

e.g. click Topics, click politics>General Politics, then click Recreation and Hobbies - upon clicking recreation and hobbies, politics should automatically minimize.

I think this would make the whole thing a lot neater and easier to use

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Zymurgist wrote: »
    Can i suggest that if you open a second "master" category that the previous one closes automatically to negate the need to scroll so far down the list to get to what you want.

e.g. click Topics, click politics>General Politics, then click Recreation and Hobbies - upon clicking recreation and hobbies, politics should automatically minimize.

I think this would make the whole thing a lot neater and easier to use

Dav mentioned further up the thread that this is a bug and they're working on it, so hopefully they should have it fixed soon.

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Zaph wrote: »
    I'd also like to see the box go horizontally when you click on a heading to make more use of the screen space available, rather than just going vertically.

Horizontal menu expansion of the categories would solve most of the issues with (a) delineation between categories and (b) screen real estate and scroll bars, that posters seem to be having. Moving the 'Topics' heading to the leftmost side of the page (where 'Talk to...' currently resides) would also allow for more room for the menu to expand right.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Also I somewhat think that After Hours should be placed outside of "Social and Fun" and be its own category alongside the likes of Zombie Survival. It's arguably the most popular forum within boards, so should be given more of a highlight.
    I would muse that AH is a little less prominent for just that reason. It is the most popular forum on the site and it has been suggested that the theory was it was taking posters from other forums by dint of this and its easy to find spot. I'd not be surprised if this change will drop the number, especially new members posting on AH.
    While I agree the drop down and categories required looking at, adding steps is a retrograde move, the aim should be to reduce steps to get to somewhere. It's like UI rule 101. Goes triple for mobile devices. Having pretty much everything under one drop down is kinda odd too. Splitting topics into at least two drop downs would make for easier navigation. Why the Boards.ie section requires its own menu is beyond me TBH.

Plus as whatismyname notes it makes Boards look like there is less to the site.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

deco nate wrote: »

I'm getting this too. Can navigate about the forums but as soon as I open a thread it gives the error.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I'm not a fan either. I don't understand why Regional gets it own section on the menu bar at the top and everything else is in Topics. When I expand a topic and scroll down it can scroll the page down too - I really dislike that. I find it hard to read everything in the long list, the older way made it easier to read the forum titles. When I expand a topic its hard to know where it begins and where it end, if the text was a different colour I could see what forums are in what topic but at the moment its not easy to tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Boards.ie forging along the path of uselessness as hacked from the jungle by the guardian and the bbc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Well this is the end of Boards for me it was good while it lasted, what next are going to start charging to post here too. Who ever thought this was a good idea I just don't know. Call me when you change it back. Can't find a thing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,693 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Dav wrote: »
    Hey all,

As we were getting ready to start pushing all this out, we realised that the existing menu was going to cause is some problems, so we've turned off the Javascript that controls it and manages it's drop-down functionality. I expect it'll be that way for the rest of the afternoon whilst we're making the category changes.

that explains my issue browsing from work..

Can you guys, possssssibly, add an option in the control panel to have the Topics menu as a 2nd bat under the main 5-categories bar or something?

edit: or what that clever bastard Zaph said

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Don't like the new changes at all. Makes looking for categories slower, not faster. It's also inconsistent. The boards.ie and adverts.ie menus are well presented, but "topics" is not and is - more importantly - horrendously clunky. This is 2015, not 1995; it looks and feels like a retrograde step

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I honestly think it's very poor. Not impressed at all. Lots of drilling down in the topics dropdown, where 90% of forums are. How many people regularly use, Talk to, Boards.ie and Regional? It just doesn't make any sense at all. Don't know how this one got off the drawing board.....Goodness knows how much of a pain it will be on a mobile....:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

One thing I don't like is that when you scroll up and down on the Topics dropdown, the whole page scrolls with it

That's no good

Advertisement