Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Topics/Category Organisation Update 20:45 - Post 100

Options
  • 20-04-2015 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Following on from this thread (and thank you all for your help with it), we're going to be rolling out the new Category structure on Tuesday. With it comes a change in the menu on the top of the site to try and clean things up somewhat.

345974.jpg

When you roll over Topics you'll see this:

345975.jpg

That in turn expands out into the forums within that topic just like the existing menu.

We think this is a much neater means of presenting our list of categories and makes for a much less daunting wall of forums. So yes, there's an extra step to get to all forums, but My Forums link is of course still on the top right so all your followed forums will still be listed there and non of them have changed - you won't need to update anything to keep following what you were following before.

[EDIT]
    Today, Tuesday 21st, the Menus on the top of the site aren't working whilst we're carrying out these updates. We'll keep you posted here on how things are progressing.

[EDIT]
    Update at 20:45: See Post 100
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

It looks a lot cleaner IMO, much more appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Arrrrrgggghhhh.....change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭FluffyAngel

is it true that theirs free burgers for each like ?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

For those few of us still using the old look (the old, old, vbulletin 3.8.x style that is unsupported) will there be any change? Is this being removed as part of this update or left there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Seems as good a time as any to pull the plug on it, but I'm not certain. I'll confirm tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Sorry to be a nuisance Dav, but I never got an answer in the last thread about dropping the "Health" from "Health and Fitness". Is there anything happening there?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Actually Dav in addition to the post from Brian? above, I'm curious if feedback will be given from the office in relation to all the suggestions given in the initial thread. Some posters and mods were not entirely happy with the first re-org but I don't recall anything further from you in relation to that. Apologies if I've missed it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Science, Health & Environment

Excellent category title Dav.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Could you clarify if it expands outwards (wider), or downwards? I can't see it working if it's downwards, half the categories will be off the screen. The topics list will take up nearly 5" on a 1920x1080 display, when you include ~1" for tabs/address bar/bookmarks, that's just shy of half the screen space un-expanded. It's over half the screen size on my 2560x1600 macbook.

I took the suggestions made in the other thread and applied them as best I thought - I'll get the listings posted very shortly for you.

The menu expands downwards and if you open one sub-category, it closes up the others to shorten the size of the list on-screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I'm guessing this has just gone live now as I have no drop down menus at all at the moment. All the categories at the top and My Forums are no longer working. Do I need to clear my cache or anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

El Weirdo wrote: »
    I'm guessing this has just gone live now as I have no drop down menus at all at the moment. All the categories at the top and My Forums are no longer working. DO I need to clear my cache or anything?

Same here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Yep same here

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

All ok for me on IE & Chrome.

Borked!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

El Weirdo wrote: »
    I'm guessing this has just gone live now as I have no drop down menus at all at the moment. All the categories at the top and My Forums are no longer working. Do I need to clear my cache or anything?

Same here. I'm using the SRWare Iron Chrome clone

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Same here on both FF and Chrome. Cache cleared on both with no difference, i.e. showing the old top menu but no drop down menus at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Yeah, me too on chrome

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I was just figuring it's the change rolling in. I can still select the categories and drill in so at least there is that until the new structure fully hits us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

no dropdown menu and notifications stuck at 1

Taltos wrote: »
    I was just figuring it's the change rolling in. I can still select the categories and drill in so at least there is that until the new structure fully hits us.

Doesn't work if you can't remember what category the forum you want lies under.....:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

type the forum name into the search, that works

type the forum name into the search, that works

Yup I was using the search box there alright, I'm not *that* stupid :o

But The_Morrigan - the first test on being a mod was to be able to recite on memory each forum, where it sits and who mods it... ;)

Hey all,

As we were getting ready to start pushing all this out, we realised that the existing menu was going to cause is some problems, so we've turned off the Javascript that controls it and manages it's drop-down functionality. I expect it'll be that way for the rest of the afternoon whilst we're making the category changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Think ye need a banner notification across the top of all pages lads or ye'll be flooded with "the menus aren't working" mails/posts.

For myself I'm reserving judgement until it's installed but I'm not sure why everything has to be in one long list.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

I'm male , 48, and I don't like change :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

5starpool wrote: »
    For those few of us still using the old look (the old, old, vbulletin 3.8.x style that is unsupported) will there be any change? Is this being removed as part of this update or left there?
    Dav wrote: »
    Seems as good a time as any to pull the plug on it, but I'm not certain. I'll confirm tomorrow.

#vbulletinforever.

jonski wrote: »
    I'm male , 48, and I don't like change :(

You're a male & 48. But don't like change?

Look down - waist line.
    Look up - hair line.

Totally understandable.... I remember what hair was like too...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

No drop down menu - I can't sign out - am I trapped here forever? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Boards.ie: Chris

Del.Monte wrote: »
    No drop down menu - I can't sign out - am I trapped here forever? :eek:

There's a log out link at the bottom of the page.

Advertisement