Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Topics/Category Organisation Update 20:45 - Post 100

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

There's a log out link on the bottom of every page on the site.

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Del.Monte wrote: »
    No drop down menu - I can't sign out - am I trapped here forever? :eek:

at the bottom of the page there should be a log out option ;)

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

No drop-down for me either, but if you click on the arrow alongside your name, you'll find all your followed threads with recent postings :)

Great work to all involved in this though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Is there anything to be said for another mass?................. given the day that's in it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have cleared cache but still cant get the little my forums menu. I also had to follow the most convoluted route to get into Sys as the Boards.ie tab doesn't do anything.

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

looksee wrote: »
    I have cleared cache but still cant get the little my forums menu. I also had to follow the most convoluted route to get into Sys as the Boards.ie tab doesn't do anything.

The javascript that powers that menu has been disabled temporarily, while the changeover is taking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Is there anything to be said for another mass?................. given the day that's in it

Post of the day! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I've gotten so used to using 'My Forums', it's very noticeable not to have the function of it now.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

looksee wrote: »
    If you start typing the name of any category or forum in the search box, it will provide the link for you.
    Myrddin wrote: »
    I've gotten so used to using 'My Forums', it's very noticeable not to have the function of it now.

You'll appreciate it all the more when it's back! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Any ETA as to when normal service will be resumed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Any ETA as to when normal service will be resumed?

never, it's been turned off so it can be changed, so it won't going back to the way it was.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Except for the "My Forums" and profile dropdowns, which will.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,074 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Although it'll take some getting used after all these years, it does make everything visible at a glance on the old (superior) skin's index page.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

So I have all the "ask" forums at the top of the page now with the feedback etc next and then every other category all scrunched up in one small box? I presume this isn't the future?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Seems to be working away now. I have to say, I like it :) It's very neat & functional. Great work by all involved

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

never, it's been turned off so it can be changed, so it won't going back to the way it was.
    Dades wrote: »
    Except for the "My Forums" and profile dropdowns, which will.

Yes I know :) I meant when the drop-downs would be working gain.. which they now seem to be.

On first impression, again I have to ask.. why? We now have a massive waste of horizontal space at the top and everything lumped into a single list with far too many sub-headings/folders.

I know the whole thing about moving away from vBulletin and I don't claim to be able to speak to whether that's good or not, but I don't see why the UI has to constantly suffer every time these changes happen.

Is this all to make it more "mobile friendly"? If so, what about those of us who primarily still browse on a laptop/desktop or does that not matter anymore?

EDIT: On that single Topics list.... is it not possible to expand that down and across the full width of the screen when you hover on it rather than a single list vertically? (like has actually been done with the Talk To/Boards.ie list) Would that not make better use of the screen real estate?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,074 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Is the huge lump of adverts.ie redirects really warranted?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Can you make the drop down the same width as the heading above it?!

11143233_10155411932105307_7877114832133906565_n.jpg?oh=74a67357fc4b21d9b90f8b0d99dbfd5c&oe=55973EDE&__gda__=1436159259_c2e515e7bda863bfae98f9a588a20e8a

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It'll take some getting used to but it's definitely an improvement

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Can you make the drop down the same width as the heading above it?!

11143233_10155411932105307_7877114832133906565_n.jpg?oh=74a67357fc4b21d9b90f8b0d99dbfd5c&oe=55973EDE&__gda__=1436159259_c2e515e7bda863bfae98f9a588a20e8a

The heading scales based on page width - the dropdown doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Adverts category goes out of the page.

346120.png

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Can the team please have a look at Politics - cheers.
    ref
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057317106&page=35

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Right, so here's the latest:

The forums have all been moved as you can see.

The menu has a bug, Chris is working on that right now. It's supposed to be rolling itself back up when you expand into a different category or sub-category. I don't have an ETA on that just at this moment, but I'll ask him to post here to let you know how he's getting on.

Couple of points:
    Is this menu permanent? No. It's temporary. The reason we've rolled it out is because 1) we didn't want to delay the new categories any longer and 2) the responsive re-design work that's underway will also be including a new menu.

Why couldn't we just copy all this over from our test environment in 10 minutes instead of faffing about with it all day? Well, we thought we could until we started poking at it this morning and VBulletin started threatening meltdown. So I had to spend the day re-doing all my work :(

WHY DO YOU MAKE THESE STUPID CHANGES THAT I HATE? Not everyone hates it and we did try to involve everyone in this process. :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

There needs to be a clearer distinction between categories, and even forums within categories when you click into one on the dropdown list. If I click into Arts, for example, it gives me the list of all the forums under Arts, and then continues the high-level list with Business & Finance. However there's nothing to distinguish the last forum in Arts (Theatre & Performing Arts) from the Business & Finance heading. I'd also like to see the box go horizontally when you click on a heading to make more use of the screen space available, rather than just going vertically.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I....

I...

*sigh*

(*pushes feelings of inadequacy down*) :)

I cannot find After Hours in the menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Oh no, found it.

Should kept going down the menu.

Slydice wrote: »
    I....

I...

*sigh*

Social & Fun > After Hours

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Slydice wrote: »
    I....

I...

*sigh*

It's under Social & Fun :)

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    On that single Topics list.... is it not possible to expand that down and across the full width of the screen when you hover on it rather than a single list vertically? (like has actually been done with the Talk To/Boards.ie list) Would that not make better use of the screen real estate?

This is about the only issue I'd have with it. It's one of those things where having the vertical scroll bar within the menu frame often means I end up at the very bottom of the page and have completely lost the menu altogether.

I presume that plans are afoot to have the "Topics" menu expand out the way the old larger category menus did to avail of screen width as well.

As a full site user on mobile, there may be other issues, though I understand I'm in a minority on that front!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Boards.ie: Chris

The code exists for pretty much all the points raised so far. I'm having trouble getting the app as a whole to register with it though.

Advertisement