Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2015*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Nocofee

ronivek wrote: »
    The mature results are out; I'm not sure I believe mine just yet though!

Why are they high or low? Extremes?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Caolan

Nocofee wrote: »

Centiles seem like they remain pretty much same as last year, this would lead you to believe points required for undergrad entry shouldn't change dramatically from 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 vladd25

Caolan wrote:
    Centiles seem like they remain pretty much same as last year, this would lead you to believe points required for undergrad entry shouldn't change dramatically from 2014.

If you don't mind, could please tell us your result?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Nocofee wrote: »

Mine were at the extremes so they won't be much help figuring out the percentile curve.

Hopefully a few more matures will post theirs so people can get some idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Yeah come on out with it mature students

• Advertisement

Here are some of the results I've seen:
    • 164 - 70th Percentile
    • 186 - 94th Percentile
    • 232 - 100th Percentile

I think Caolan mentioned earlier he got a similar raw score and percentile as last year so presumably the curve will be roughly equivalent to 2014.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

• 164 - 70th Percentile
    • 186 - 94th Percentile
    • 232 - 100th Percentile

I think Caolan mentioned earlier he got a similar raw score and percentile as last year so presumably the curve will be roughly equivalent to 2014.

If that 232 is your score, seriously well done.. could easily be the highest score in the country..

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mhf55

• 164 - 70th Percentile
    • 186 - 94th Percentile
    • 232 - 100th Percentile

Was 164 around the 65th percentile last year?

mhf55 wrote: »

Based on the graph I would say just above 70th: http://hpat-ireland.acer.edu.au/files/HPAT_-_Ireland_2014_Candidate_Performance.pdf

Gallagher1 wrote: »
    If that 232 is your score, seriously well done.. could easily be the highest score in the country..

A mistake I'm sure; but thanks! Either that or I should have played the Lotto that day too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

A mistake I'm sure; but thanks! Either that or I should have played the Lotto that day too...

Would be a bit dreadful it its a mistake! Grats man

• Registered Users Posts: 24 BBHenry

• 164 - 70th Percentile
    • 186 - 94th Percentile
    • 232 - 100th Percentile

Wow congratulations!

Asking in general, are there any med students here who got in after resitting the HPAT for the second time? If so, how many points did you miss it by the first time? And did you improve greatly your second time around?

I sat it last year completely blind, and ended up in the 50th percentile. Studied since october this year with ME and hoping I get a lot higher.. In saying that I still felt I made a few mistakes on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CGMed

mhf55 wrote: »

For the record, hpat score of 164 in 2014 ranked 65th percentile.
    This might suggest that overall scores are down this year.

BBHenry wrote: »
    I sat it last year completely blind, and ended up in the 50th percentile. Studied since october this year with ME and hoping I get a lot higher.. In saying that I still felt I made a few mistakes on the day.

I definitely made a number of mistakes; especially in section 1 and 3 and yet still achieved a very good score. I really feel like it's virtually impossible to guess how well you may or may not have done.

There was a large study undertaken on the UMAT which is effectively identical to the HPAT and in general students achieved their best results at their 2nd sitting. In particular students who hadn't done any preparation before their 1st sitting. This is regularly attributed to the non-verbal reasoning section but section 1 also improves in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Great news!

The Irish Medical Times wants to talk to people who were in Goldsmith Hall - they're very interested in the story, and are guaranteeing absolute anonymity.

Please send an email to hpatsu@gmail.com if you're willing to do this and, with your permission, I'll pass on your email address to the IMT.
    If you could do so before Sunday night that'd be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Pidge96

Yeah, you're right, 164 was 72nd percentile in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

Does anyone get into medicine on less then 550? The minimum entry is put down as 480 but does anyone actually get in on that? (Or anything less than 550?)

Seanf999 wrote: »
    Does anyone get into medicine on less then 550? The minimum entry is put down as 480 but does anyone actually get in on that? (Or anything less than 550?)

From UCD WEBSITE

In 2014:
    The minimum combined score was 730*.
    The minimum points at which anyone was admitted were 540 (which required HPAT 190)
    The minimum HPAT score at which anyone was admitted was 165 (which required 625 leaving cert)

Obviously it depends on your HPAT, for example if someone got a 232 hpat, they would get place in NUIG/UCC with 490.

Caolan wrote: »
    From UCD WEBSITE

In 2014:
    The minimum combined score was 730*.
    The minimum points at which anyone was admitted were 540 (which required HPAT 190)
    The minimum HPAT score at which anyone was admitted was 165 (which required 625 leaving cert)

Obviously it depends on your HPAT, for example if someone got a 232 hpat, they would get place in NUIG/UCC with 490.

But realistically you need as close to 550 as possible to be in with a chance.
    Is there any point where you would say 'ok so you can get in with less but without needing a flawless hpat *** should be sufficient'?

But realistically you need as close to 550 as possible to be in with a chance.
    Is there any point where you would say 'ok so you can get in with less but without needing a flawless hpat *** should be sufficient'?

Realistically yes, you need close to 550

You need an excellent-exceptional hpat/ accompanied by an excellent-exceptional leaving cert.

A leaving cert of 550+ is top 3% in the country, while a leaving cert of 500+ is top 9%

To get into medicine you realistically need to be closer to the 3% than the 9% with a hpat to match. That's why it's such a hard course to get into. No one ever said it was easy ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Okay, I've three names to give to the IMT. Anyone who was in Goldsmith want to add themselves to that list before I send it off?

Realistically yes, you need close to 550

You need an excellent-exceptional hpat/ accompanied by an excellent-exceptional leaving cert.

A leaving cert of 550+ is top 3% in the country, while a leaving cert of 500+ is top 9%

To get into medicine you realistically need to be closer to the 3% than the 9% with a hpat to match. That's why it's such a hard course to get into. No one ever said it was easy ...

Not to mention virtually all the 'little helps' when it comes to bumping up points for the leaving cert do not apply to med hopefuls.

If you don't mind me asking, how many hours (give or take) did you/are you studying for the leaving cert?

Not to mention virtually all the 'little helps' when it comes to bumping up points for the leaving cert do not apply to med hopefuls.

If you don't mind me asking, how many hours (give or take) did you/are you studying for the leaving cert?

Ha- not enough. I'm a mature student but repeating LC. I've family so my study patterns are prob slightly different.

Other potential Med students I know are arriving in study at 8am and leave about 8-9pm. But time doesn't always equal result. It's application and prob a bit of luck.

Ha- not enough. I'm a mature student but repeating LC. I've family so my study patterns are prob slightly different.

Other potential Med students I know are arriving in study at 8am and leave about 8-9pm. But time doesn't always equal result. It's application and prob a bit of luck.

A doctor I know (he was a few years older went to Ns school with him) told me he studied non stop, majority of the people who are in studying medicine just seem to be dedicated more so then wiz kids..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What are these 'little helps' and why can't people going for med get them? The SEC have no idea what course anyone is applying for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JF77

164 wasn't 65% last year as 162 was 68% last year. Thus implying that 164 was about 70% if not more.
    So it would seem that the results are quite similar to last years. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dawn96

So do mature students do the same HPAT? Are the results that are out now from the same exam as the results that will be out in June?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 mir71

Dawn96 wrote: »
    So do mature students do the same HPAT? Are the results that are out now from the same exam as the results that will be out in June?

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dawn96

mir71 wrote: »
    yes
    Thanks! Another question - what's the difference between mature students and .. not-mature students? I thought mature students did the GAMSAT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭LauraaWhelann

Dawn96 wrote: »
    Thanks! Another question - what's the difference between mature students and .. not-mature students? I thought mature students did the GAMSAT

No, postgrad students (those who have done an undergraduate degree) do the GAMSAT.

Mature students are people over the age of 23 who have no yet completed a third level course. They also sit the HPAT.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement