Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marriage Equality Referendum

Options

Comments

Who here was in the Clontarf Castle Kick Off tonight? It seemed pretty tame and unmotivated a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

Who here was in the Clontarf Castle Kick Off tonight? It seemed pretty tame and unmotivated a little.

I wasn't there but I'm finding a huge amount of unmotivated people .

Also people who are afraid of saying the wrong thing at a canvas.

Worrying

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Do you mean canvassers being afraid to say the wrong thing, or the general public in response?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

Aard wrote: »
    Do you mean canvassers being afraid to say the wrong thing, or the general public in response?

Generally saying the wrong thing when knocking on doors.

You're really not expected to know everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Hi there. I intend on voting Yes on the 22nd but unfortunately I'll be out of the country from the 15th to the 30th of May. Is anyone here aware of a system that exists for me to vote in absentia?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Stompbox wrote: »
    Hi there. I intend on voting Yes on the 22nd but unfortunately I'll be out of the country from the 15th to the 30th of May. Is anyone here aware of a system that exists for me to vote in absentia?
    Postal voting availability is very restricted, unfortunately. Still bitter about the schnakey way Bertie waited until I'd a holiday booked before calling a general election!

I would ring them.

Thanks. Sent an email last night, if I don't have a reply by the end of the week then I'll certainly ring them or call in in person.

I just don't know if it's standard procedure to acknowledge receipt of the form or not? I guess it might be awkward considering the volume they receive but on the other hand it's not quite fair for someone not to know whether their form has been received or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Doug89

Thanks. Sent an email last night, if I don't have a reply by the end of the week then I'll certainly ring them or call in in person.

I just don't know if it's standard procedure to acknowledge receipt of the form or not? I guess it might be awkward considering the volume they receive but on the other hand it's not quite fair for someone not to know whether their form has been received or not.

Hi Homer,

I emailed DCC the other day about a RF3 form I sent in - it's not standard procedure to acknowledge them getting it. I sent an email with my voter number (which you can find linked to your old address on checktheregister.ie) and I got an email back within 15mins saying that it'd been updated correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Daith wrote: »
    I wasn't there but I'm finding a huge amount of unmotivated people .

Also people who are afraid of saying the wrong thing at a canvas.

Worrying

The problem is an awful lot of Irish people are actually scared and intimidated to canvass.

The reality is - its a pleasant and friendly experience on this issue at 99% of houses. Even most no houses I've called to are pleasant and friendly.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭feardeas

Fair play to the canvas teams. Good to hear the positive experiences. I've donated to the campaign and will again.

Understandable that people are fearful of saying the wrong thing especially given what is in play. I doubt I'd be able to hold my tongue if the experience of listening to Senator Mullen this am was anything to go by.

Hope the get out the vote plan is on place. Turnout will be key.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭tom_k

Hi Stompbox,

Have a look at this, you may qualify to be added to the supplement to the Postal Voters list. If so, apply to your local authority for an application form ASAP.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/elections_and_referenda/voting/registering_to_vote.html#leb892

Daith wrote: »
    I'm finding a huge amount of unmotivated people .

Im finding this everywhere now. This "Why bother vote on a sure deal" mentality is permeating too many people ive met.

It depends in your reason for being out of the country.

If you are away for work reasons then you might get a postal vote.

If its just a holiday then you just cant vote.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Im finding this everywhere now. This "Why bother vote on a sure deal" mentality is permeating too many people ive met.

The referendum is not won.

It is winnable.

Low turnout will lose it.

It is 1 million percent crucial for every yes voter to turn out.

In 1995 9000 voters made a difference for divorce. Thats roughly 1 voter per ballot box in the country.

1 vote in 1 ballot box could make a crucial difference.

This needs to be repeated again and again and again and again and again to every single Yes Voter

Terry Pratchet

feardeas wrote: »
    Fair play to the canvas teams.

Yes Equality badly needs more canvassers everywhere in the country. Please please please please everyone consider doing it. You can do 1 afternoon or 10 afternoons between now and May 22nd - it really is upto you But I think if lgbt people dont engage and canvass on the doorsteps its another hampering of the campaign.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Was going to start a thread but saw this.
    Anyone notice it seems to be a trendy campaign but the people then wont end up voting?

The referendum is not won.

It is winnable.

Low turnout will lose it.

It is 1 million percent crucial for every yes voter to turn out.

In 1995 9000 voters made a difference for divorce. Thats roughly 1 voter per ballot box in the country.

1 vote in 1 ballot box could make a crucial difference.

This needs to be repeated again and again and again and again and again to every single Yes Voter

a "please use your vote" campaign is a strange one when the polls predict such a land slide. Me and the girls are voting. And I have persuaded the Nozz to come home and vote from germany. And most of my mates too.

Id love to see nozz or nugent speak to the non voters on this. Or just anyone. I havent seen much of a yes campaign. But on the streets I havent see much of a VOTE campaign either. Where is panty bliss or nozz or any of the real speakers on this issue? Its been so quiet from the yes side. :(

a "please use your vote" campaign is a strange one when the polls predict such a land slide.

Yes

It would have been strange to ask people to please use their vote in 1986 when the polls indicated divorce would pass comfortably. It failed.

It would have been strange to ask people to please use their vote in 1995 when the polls indicated divorce would pass comfortably. It nearly failed.

It would have been strange to ask people to support the Childrens rights referendum when polls indicated 80% support. It nearly failed.

Complacency that this is a done deal will kill this

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/same-sex-marriage-why-the-proposal-may-not-be-accepted-by-voters-1.2034752

I havent seen much of a yes campaign. But on the streets I havent see much of a VOTE campaign either. Where is panty bliss or nozz or any of the real speakers on this issue? Its been so quiet from the yes side. 

It may seem like that but to me there has been a huge amount of work done.

40 something Yes Equality local constitutency organisations set up from nothing. Many many videos created on the #votewithus website. Numerous fundraising activities going on around the country. A succesful register to vote campaign that got 40,000 new registrants. Street and door to door canvassing going on in all counties. St Patricks Parade events. Local media reporting on all of this.

Again though reread the Noel Whelan article. Strategically 39 days out is not the right time to be heavily campaigning.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Sometimes I get the impression the campaign is appealing more to people who are already going to vote Yes than people who still do not feel comfortable or bothered about voting.

J_E wrote: »
    Sometimes I get the impression the campaign is appealing more to people who are already going to vote Yes than people who still do not feel comfortable or bothered about voting.

Indeed but thats why the campaign messaging will be more subtle in the next few weeks.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Doug89 wrote: »
    Hi Homer,

I emailed DCC the other day about a RF3 form I sent in - it's not standard procedure to acknowledge them getting it. I sent an email with my voter number (which you can find linked to your old address on checktheregister.ie) and I got an email back within 15mins saying that it'd been updated correctly.

Thanks Doug. Got an email today confirming that my details have been updated. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Neyite wrote: »
    Civil Partnerships are not the same as Civil Marriage. A civil partnership will afford a couple some rights that married couples benefit from, but not all, and there are some very important rights that gay partners are not legally entitled to even if they are a civil partner.

I've been trying to understand the main differences between civil partnership and marriage but I can only seem to find vague information like in this link. A lot of the links to further information on www.marriagequality.ie seem to be down.

Does anyone know where or how I can find specific details of what real world differences marriage will make to LGBT couples if this goes through?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

elekid wrote: »
    I've been trying to understand the main differences between civil partnership and marriage but I can only seem to find vague information like in this link. A lot of the links to further information on www.marriagequality.ie seem to be down.

Does anyone know where or how I can find specific details of what real world differences marriage will make to LGBT couples if this goes through?

Did you see the List Of Differences off that previous link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Did you see the List Of Differences off that previous link?

No, I missed that somehow, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭feardeas

I've said somewhere else that I have been a follower of politics since i was a child. Remember watching the results of the divorce ref in 95. It was ding dong stuff til the end as has been pointed out.

In my view the engagement and ground level stuff on this has been good. I know that campaigners are on local radio stations the length and breath of the country, articles are appearing in local media. The social media angle is well covered and that is where young people seem to live their lives. 300 students registered in NUIG today alone. There is engagement. I think it looks like the people at the helm have a good grasp on this. The fact that there is door to door stuff at all in a referendum is remarkable. There is a long time to go yet and absolutely now is not the time for real active campaigning. In a way less is more at this stage. People who have no direct interest will be turned off if it incessant.

This is just my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭xrp

Photos like this aren't helpful if the YES side wants to win the undecideds:

http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/90236231.jpg

But hey, I'm just an ordinary NO voter who's probably not welcome here.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

xrp wrote: »

What exactly is wrong with that photo?

You're welcome here once you stick within the charter

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056425742

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭xrp

Mr.Frame wrote: »
    What exactly is wrong with that photo?

Mary
    Virgin blue
    Crock of gold rainbow
    Stupid regal look on her face

• Advertisement

Mary
    Virgin blue
    Crock of gold rainbow
    Stupid regal look on her face

Is that it? :rolleyes:

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement