Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

In the wake of Willis' retirement, I was having a look back at the 2007 draft class. What a great class that was!

In the first couple of rounds alone there was Megatron, J.Thomas, Landry, Peterson, Willis, Lynch, Revis, Timmons, Meriweather, Staley, Grubbs, Olsen, Beason, Bowe, Weddle, Z.Miller, Rice, Woodley and S.Smith.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

.. and we got Justin Harrell.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Paully D wrote: »
    In the wake of Willis' retirement, I was having a look back at the 2007 draft class. What a great class that was!

In the first couple of rounds alone there was Megatron, J.Thomas, Landry, Peterson, Willis, Lynch, Revis, Timmons, Meriweather, Staley, Grubbs, Olsen, Beason, Bowe, Weddle, Z.Miller, Rice, Woodley and S.Smith.

Good draft for the niners that year. Walked away with Willis, Staley, Ray McDonald and dashon goldson I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

As a Raiders fan I'll never forgot the 2007 draft. Just horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Just read today that of the 60 players currently on the Packers roster, Julius Peppers is the only one to have played for a team other than Green Bay. There are players who've been on other teams but have never played (i.e. Scott Tolzien). That's a pretty incredible statistic given the level of turnover in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Just read today that of the 60 players currently on the Packers roster, Julius Peppers is the only one to have played for a team other than Green Bay. There are players who've been on other teams but have never played (i.e. Scott Tolzien). That's a pretty incredible statistic given the level of turnover in the league.

They've only signed something like 5 players in FA since 2007 as well, I believe.

Not NFL I know, but 30 for 30's 'The U Part 2' is a great watch:

Look at how good that 2001 Hurricanes roster was, pretty crazy when you look at the draftees. 38 of the whole roster drafted, with 17 first round picks. Madness!

27bccec97bb14975580acef7ddbb2c95.png
    ee82a447e0154c226e366bf615938294.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

49ers not having a great off season and this is a weird one. Borland is a player with tremendous talent and only 24 and now decides to retire

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000479460/article/san-francisco-49ers-chris-borland-retiring-from-nfl

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Look at how good that 2001 Hurricanes roster was, pretty crazy when you look at the draftees. 38 of the whole roster drafted, with 17 first round picks. Madness!
    That's a great squad. Crazy to think they were all on the same college team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

JCTO wrote: »
    49ers not having a great off season and this is a weird one. Borland is a player with tremendous talent and only 24 and now decides to retire

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000479460/article/san-francisco-49ers-chris-borland-retiring-from-nfl

I just heard and he was the one bright light from last season he was outstanding to say I'm shocked is and understatement.

• Advertisement

JCTO wrote: »

Disappointing to see him walk away but I really can't blame him.
    San Francisco 49ers linebacker Chris Borland told ESPN's Outside The Lines on Monday that he is retiring from the NFL due to concerns about the long-term health effects of head trauma. The 49ers later announced the retirement in a statement.

Borland, a standout rookie linebacker who led the team in tackles in 2014, said he notified the Niners of his decision on Friday. Monday's announcement comes a week after linebacker Patrick Willis stunned the 49ers and the NFL by announcing his retirement after eight seasons.

"I just honestly want to do what's best for my health," said Borland, who met with prominent concussion researchers before making his decision. "From what I've researched and what I've experienced, I don't think it's worth the risk."

Borland, 24, said he has been diagnosed with two concussions in his life -- once while playing soccer in eighth grade and again while playing football during sophomore year of high school. He said he believed he may have suffered a third concussion during training camp, but played through it because of his concern about making the team as a third-round pick out of Wisconsin.

"I just thought to myself, 'What am I doing? Is this how I'm going to live my adult life, banging my head, especially with what I've learned and knew about the dangers?'"

Totally can't blame him it takes a lot for someone that has worked all those years to give up their dream after just one season.

Wonder how many more will begin to walk away from the game early

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Knex. wrote: »
    Wonder how many more will begin to walk away from the game early

Ya see this is it knex. While we are all saying that we can't blame him for walking away from the game, but how many Young players who might be of the same mind set might follow now that someone has taken this step ?

I mean american football isn't a contact sport it's a collision sport as someone once said.

I think it is certainly going to make guys think about it. It is going to give the powers that be in the NFL a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I'd love to say I'd do the same thing, but given the immediate opportunity in front of them to make millions versus something that may happen to you down the line that you're not yet feeling the effects of, it's such a brave and difficult decision. I honestly don't know if I'd have the balls to make the same choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I'd love to say I'd do the same thing, but given the immediate opportunity in front of them to make millions versus something that may happen to you down the line that you're not yet feeling the effects of, it's such a brave and difficult decision. I honestly don't know if I'd have the balls to make the same choice.

I agree. Tbh i dont think it'll catch on too many people see it as a better life/a way out/way to get a free ride for college/way to look after their families. If anything it'll end up with a fighters mentality. Aye **** it some might be damaged in life but I will be fine

Baltimore aren't playing around. Bernard Pierce released after being done for DUI at 2am this morning. Much easier decision when it's someone who is fairly crap I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,982 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

TBH, I'd say he is still in a pretty rare category of NFL pros, at least for now. You simply can't get to any half decent level of a football career while having any real insight into your mortality or destructibility. He is rare too in how he is making the decision on the back of the general risk factor, and not in direct response to a serious injury, or string of minor to moderate injuries (not withstanding his 3 previous concussions, but I'd say 3 is quite low over the lifetime of an NFL pro).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Baltimore aren't playing around. Bernard Pierce released after being done for DUI at 2am this morning. Much easier decision when it's someone who is fairly crap I suppose.

He was the starter on the depth chart week 1 last season. By mid season he was 3rd string :p

No loss, Baltimore will be drafting a back mid rounds anyway

• Advertisement

Sounds like Mr. Pierce knew what was coming as soon as he got arrested last night. From the police report:

CAZTOc5WEAEmQHJ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17 nothrowaway

Not NFL I know, but 30 for 30's 'The U Part 2' is a great watch:

Reggie Wayne went in the first the year before too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Proposed Rule Changes

Here's what you need to know about all the rules that will be discussed and potentially voted on by the owners next week:

1. The first proposal asks for coaches to call a timeout instead of throwing the beloved red flag to challenge a call. Teams would earn the timeout back if the challenge is upheld.

- Seems a bit stupid.. basically the same thing

2. The Detroit Lions submitted a proposal that would make all penalties reviewable. We don't expect this to be passed.

- Nope. not for this

3. A less-aggressive proposal by the Tennessee Titans calls for all personal foul penalties to be reviewable through a coach's challenge. The Redskins made a similar proposal without asking for reviews to be tied to a challenge.

- Agree with this, challenge it yes but lose your ability to challenge if you **** up. 1 and 3 tied together

4. The Patriots were again active with suggested rule changes: New England proposed a tweak that would eliminate the ban on challenges in the final two minutes of the half and overtime.

- Dont agree with this

5. The Patriots also proposed fixed cameras on sidelines, end lines and goal lines to supplement those provided by broadcast networks. This is something Gregg Rosenthal and Around The NFL have been lobbying for since way back.

- Seems sensible

6. Bill Belichick wasn't done there. New England also proposed to push back PATs to the 15-yard line, with two-point tries staying at the 2-yard line. The Pats aren't giving up this request.

- Agree

7. The Colts are asking for the league to consider an intriguing new scoring system in the preseason. Their proposal calls for a "bonus field goal" that would allow teams to kick an extra point following a successful two-point try. The trick? The tacked-on PAT would come from 50 yards out. This feels like a long shot.

- all for this :cool:
    8. The Chicago Bears presented a rule change that would award possession to both teams in overtime.

- Agree with this.

9. One bylaw proposal calls to eliminate the summertime roster cut down from 90 to 75 players. Instead, teams would be asked to chop their squads from 90 to 53 players.

- on the fence on this tbh

10. We learned during the question-and-answer portion of the call that the NFL will discuss the language in the rules of what constitutes a catch, but no specific proposal is on the table to overhaul that murky topic.

- one of those things that no matter what the rules say its so open to interpretation

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Challenge of DPI calls should be brought in. I wouldn't be against the college system of limiting them to 15 yards either.

Don't like 1, 2, 7 and 9.

The rest, sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Why on earth would anybody be against allowing challenges in the last two minutes and overtime? It seems like something that should happen imo.

Also challeging a PI call is a good thing.

Now put both of these together. You get an awful PI call against you with less than two minutes remaining. You challenge it and its overturned and a fair result to the game occurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

number 7 sounds very cool id be curious to see if it would lower or raise a kickers profile it may due to it being harder to find a guy that can hit it from 50 but on the other hand it could end up reducing the number of pats.
    adrian522 wrote: »
    Challenge of DPI calls should be brought in. I wouldn't be against the college system of limiting them to 15 yards either.

id like this in theory but i can't ever see it coming in as it could add hours onto games

How would it add hours onto games?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

adrian522 wrote: »
    How would it add hours onto games?

I'm exaggerating with hours but constant challenges could be a disaster theres dpi on pretty much every play these days constant challenges would get tedious

• Advertisement

You only get 3 challenges anyway though(only 2 if one of the first 2 fails) so you can't challenge every play.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement