Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the differences between ISIS and the IRA?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I do fail to see how you have managed to equate that to systemarically killing entire villages
    That's 'cos I didn't.

Here's what I responded to:
    ....there is no reports of the ira systematically killing innocent civilians after rocking upto there village ???
    The IRA did rock up to Warrington and did systematically kill innocent civilians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭LeeMajors

Agreed.

Mind you, if you were having a pint in the local, you'd want to be careful not to look at anyone sideways. Ask Robert McCartney. I suppose they didn't actually behead him, but they did gut him. :(

Here we go again.
    Who killed Robert McCartney and why was he killed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Phoebas wrote: »
    That's 'cos I didn't.

Here's what I responded to:

The IRA did rock up to Warrington and did systematically kill innocent civilians.

I think you've a different meaning/understanding for systemarically to me :)

I meant where Isis rocked up and killed all the civilians deliberately....like went door to door seeking them out executing them until they had them all killed

I do apologise if the wording I used caused issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭RecordStraight

LeeMajors wrote: »
    Here we go again.
    Who killed Robert McCartney and why was he killed?
    You tell us, Lee.

At least ISIS suicide bombers seem to be volunteers.

True that. Proxy bombers are amongst the most evil tactic ever used by any terrorist organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Being fair Robert McCartney bravely intervened in a row between the ira and an armed robber (friend of his) and got stabbed for getting between both of them....No one suggests they set out to kill him that night

Sorry, he what now?!

It was all just a big accident was it?!

I've had someone earlier (not sure was it you) tell me it was a "rouge element" I.e. individuals who happened to be IRA members, but now you're saying it was "the IRA".

Which was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,456 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

As far as the PIRA were concerned at the time, she was an informer.

And that was reason to drag her from her house in front of her kids, take her away, shoot her dead and then bury her body for decades all the time lying to her family about what happened to her?

You tell us, Lee.

Is there something wrong with you?
    You made claims here, again, and you want me to back them up for you.
    I'm beginning to wonder exactly what I'm dealing with here.
    Obviously, you have a problem of some sort and perhaps I shouldn't be exacerbating it by conversing with you.

Best to leave it at that I think.;)

Sorry, he what now?!

I've had someone earlier (not sure was it you) tell me it was a "rouge element" I.e. individuals who happened to be IRA members, but now you're saying it was "the IRA".

Which was it?

If they are member of the ira the ira is responsible for there actions (like any other army)

It was actually him intervening on behalf of a criminal friend (convicted armed robber) who was fighting with ira members that he got stabbed in the fracas

Not as some would have you believe that the ira rocked up,pulled him out and gutted him!!!

You tell us, Lee.

Yes please do Lee.

Tom reckons it was the IRA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,456 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

The ones where your beloved brit state jailed innocent people for 16 years?

No

The ones where your beloved IRA planted bombs in a packed pub on a Friday night with the full intention of killing innocent civilians.

If they are member of the ira the ira is responsible for there actions (like any other army)

It was actually him intervening on behalf of a criminal friend (convicted armed robber) who was fighting with ira members that he got stabbed in the fracas

Not as some would have you believe that the ira rocked up,pulled him out and gutted him!!!

How do you know that?

Were you one of the 70-odd people in the jacks at the time??

Just to be clear, are you saying he wasnt slit from chest to navel?

Sorry, he what now?!

Which was it?

Two people went on trial if I remember correctly.
    An Englishman and an Irishman.
    Nobody was convicted.

Nobody was convicted.

That's not the answer to the question I asked, is it?

But in response to your non-answer - So what, does that mean he wasnt murdered?!

Yes please do Lee.

Tom reckons it was the IRA.

One of the killers was member of the IRA afaik.

Someone was going on about football teams earlier.

If a player from a football team goes on the lash at the weekend and kills someone, is the whole football team responsible?
    Is the team , the league and the governing body responsible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Probably the dumbest title I've seen on boards, and I have seen fairly dumb ones.

How do you know that?

Were you one of the 70-odd people in the jacks at the time??

Just to be clear, are you saying he wasnt slit from chest to navel?

It was widely reported at the time like....I assumed most people knew this already

Afaik even his family said as much!!

No...he was 100% stabbed of that I've no doubt :rolleyes:

As far as the PIRA were concerned at the time, she was an informer.
    Nobody was convicted.
    Gotta love the double standard.
    McConville is fair game because as far as the IRA were concerned she was an informer. But there was no conviction in the McCartney case, so who's to say who was involved in it.

If a player from a football team goes on the lash at the weekend and kills someone, is the whole football team responsible?

No...but a military is responsible for its members....curiously enough his family turned down the option of having his killers executed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭RecordStraight

Ok, so this is more comparable to the way Sinn Fein/IRA was moving rapists and paedophiles around the place without warning anyone, like the Catholic Church?

• Advertisement

Gotta love the double standard.
    McConville is fair game because as far as the IRA were concerned she was an informer. But there was no conviction in the McCartney case, so who's to say who was involved in it.

Yea grand, perhaps you didn't see my post above where I stated that as far as I know, one member of the PIRA was involved in his killing?

Ok, so this is more comparable to the way Sinn Fein/IRA was moving rapists and paedophiles around the place without warning anyone, like the Catholic Church?

Listen, and just for your own wellbeing, I'm putting you on ignore, ok.
    I've a feeling something's not quite right, so it's for the best.

Regards,
    Lee.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Is there something wrong with you?
    You made claims here, again, and you want me to back them up for you.
    I'm beginning to wonder exactly what I'm dealing with here.
    Obviously, you have a problem of some sort and perhaps I shouldn't be exacerbating it by conversing with you.

Best to leave it at that I think.;)

Mod: banned for personal use for 24 hours. I only wish I did it sooner

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Exactly....no one in their right mind views what the ira did to be in anyway comparable to Isis

Where are the tales of the ira going around beheading children???
    Warrington?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Gerry Adams has yet to deny being in ISIS :)
    Don't worry, the Indo is working on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

True that. Proxy bombers are amongst the most evil tactic ever used by any terrorist organisation.

An absolutely grotesque tactic and one presumably sanctioned at the highest level of the IRA given different 'brigades' deployed it.

An army isn't a football team - proper armies have things like a chain of command, internal discipline structures etc

No...but a military is responsible for its members....curiously enough his family turned down the option of having his killers executed

Perhaps not so surprising - a family going through the trauma of losing a member to violence knows what it feels like. Perhaps the expression about not wishing something on your worst enemy applies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

Wouldn't see much difference between the two groups.

Both are comprised of murderous fanatics who believe their political beliefs justify the cold-blooded slaughter of civilians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Godge wrote: »
    A comparison between ISIS and the IRA is overblown but the IRA were not boyscouts.

I think the Accrington Stanley/Chelsea comparison is apt. Both are soccer teams yet play in a different league. ISIS and the IRA are both terrorist organisations.

An even better comparison might be Barcelona and Finn Harps. One is a soccer team on an international world-wide level, the other is a soccer team whose support is confined to a small part of Ireland.

Best comparison on the thread IMO.

I don't want to belittle any of deaths/crimes committed by either group but if you look at cold hard facts ,The IRA over a 25/30 year period are responsible for a fraction of murders/crimes compared to what ISIS have carried out in a few years.
    Yes every murder/crime is undefeatable but think Godge is right not even in the same park.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement