Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling etiquette, meeting other cyclists

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Most people in high viz are confused "motorists"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Schecter01 wrote: »
    This may seem a daft question, but what is the etiquette when a cycling alone and you cross paths with a fellow cyclist.
    My reason for asking is a really sound cyclist pulled pulled up alongside me today and started chatting away asking me how my ride was going etc, was a grand bit of Then he went his way and I went mine. Felt really good to have that, wouldn't happen when walking!

Would it be common place to slide up along a fellow chap on his evening spin and engage in chat, or a quick nod suffice? I don't want to come across a weirdo sponging on someone's spin but I don't want to be a rude tit either, what are the "unwritten rules " of cycling etiquette??
    Etiquette Rule number 1, dont do the Nelson Muntz(The Simpsons) aka point and laugh when you pass fellow cyclists for they may catch you and beat you with their water bottle or your water bottle!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

I’ll often talk to other riders no bother and give a nod to other lads on the same commute.
    CramCycle wrote: »
    If they sit on your wheel without permission or without you knowing them, either hammer it and drop them or after a few minutes turnaround and tell them to F off and call a taxi if they want a lift :eek:

i hang on the back of wheels but its more a "try to keep up" than sucking a wheel tbh so don't care if they push on

I used to see a guy all the time on the canal “the bearded Giant” I called him coz he had a beard and rode a Giant.
    And the hardest mornings were when I'd see him miles behind and then go hell for leather to try and keep in front of him, which didn't happen that often

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

One of the lads I cycle with would talk to the wall. He waves at every one, says hello to joggers, walkers, people at traffic lights etc. The club is sponsored by Jons engineering and Panda waste, and he loves nothing more that seeing the bin lorry or the big green diggers coming towards him. Big wave, howerya doing etc. It makes his day, but confuses the hell out of the workers. I'm sure if he was on his own, he would talk to himself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I feel like a bit of a dick saying hi to guys I pass out. It feels like I am making fun of them or something. I never feel that when people pass me out though, I think it's nice. I clearly need to adjust my thinking on the matter!

I get a bit awkward when I'm out on my own an there's a group or a few people riding at exactly my speed. I can't hang on and join the back of them as I don't want to interfere with their spin, and I don't want to pass them out and end up just in front of them. I have no idea what to do in such situations. I usually do intervals when that happens, so hang back, interval, recover, interval and so on. That way I avoid the whole situation and get some extra training in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

lennymc wrote: »
    One of the lads I cycle with would talk to the wall. He waves at every one, says hello to joggers, walkers, people at traffic lights etc. The club is sponsored by Jons engineering and Panda waste, and he loves nothing more that seeing the bin lorry or the big green diggers coming towards him. Big wave, howerya doing etc. It makes his day, but confuses the hell out of the workers. I'm sure if he was on his own, he would talk to himself.

Are u talking about yourself lenny :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Schecter01

I'm glad I didn't buy a high viz, though I'd say it's quite clear im a noob, I hate the noob phase, I'll look back on meself in a years time and shudder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

whats a high viz person? i cycle the odd time and wear a hi viz jacket? do cyclists refer to them as noobs?

I'm glad I didn't buy a high viz, though I'd say it's quite clear im a noob, I hate the noob phase, I'll look back on meself in a years time and shudder

Nothing wrong with being a noob, everyone has to start somewhere. I don't see myself ever leaving the noob stage. Once you know a bit you realize just how much else there is to know! (That and my general lack of both knowledge and experience. But still!)

Back in my fred days or noob days, way before hiz viz became compulsory for every outdoor activity i used to wear football socks right up to my knees, oh and football shoes with holes drilled in them for cleats and then there were the shorts that were too baggy around the thighs, little did i know.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

gadetra wrote: »
    I get a bit awkward when I'm out on my own an there's a group or a few people riding at exactly my speed. I can't hang on and join the back of them as I don't want to interfere with their spin, and I don't want to pass them out and end up just in front of them. I have no idea what to do in such situations. I usually do intervals when that happens, so hang back, interval, recover, interval and so on. That way I avoid the whole situation and get some extra training in!

I had the opposite of that before, when a fella passed me and went about 100m up the road and eased off, looked behind to see me catching up (I should say I hadn't changed pace at all, it was the same as when he passed me.) a look of horror shot across his face and sprinted off for about 100m and then eased up again. I duly closed the gap, again without changing pace. He looked behind, saw me closing again, audibly tutted, and sprinted off for a bit, then eased off again. This went on 3 or 4 more times until I eventually reached the turn for home. It was bizarrely amusing, each time the tutting got louder and I swear I heard him say "FFS" at one stage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

whats a high viz person? i cycle the odd time and wear a hi viz jacket? do cyclists refer to them as noobs?

Wouldn't worry about it. If you look at any longish sportive in wet weather you see a mass of neon yellow waterproofs, lots of people use them myself included. Others can't abide them, matter of personal choice.

Kav0777 wrote: »
    I had the opposite of that before, when a fella passed me and went about 100m up the road and eased off, looked behind to see me catching up (I should say I hadn't changed pace at all, it was the same as when he passed me.) a look of horror shot across his face and sprinted off for about 100m and then eased up again. I duly closed the gap, again without changing pace. He looked behind, saw me closing again, audibly tutted, and sprinted off for a bit, then eased off again. This went on 3 or 4 more times until I eventually reached the turn for home. It was bizarrely amusing, each time the tutting got louder and I swear I heard him say "FFS" at one stage.

I get that an awful lot. I thought it maybe cos they don't want to be 'beaten' by a woman. Even though I'm out doing my own thing, and presumably they are too. I'll never understand that. I had one in particular tell me, after the had done what you describe above to me when I was on my elderly commuter (or superbike to give him his full due!) from UCD to Leeson Street/canal, "You can beat all the boys if you had a bike like mine". Err, I was just cycling into town, completely minding my own business. He had a hole in the árse of his shorts too. that was unpleasant to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

smacl wrote: »
    Wouldn't worry about it. If you look at any longish sportive in wet weather you see a mass of neon yellow waterproofs, lots of people use them myself included. Others can't abide them, matter of personal choice.

Ah the question is. Are Neon Yellow jackets the Hi Viz being referred to.????

Is it not the HiViz waistcoat that every Co.Co and the Nat Road Saf Authority hand out .

I've even seen dogs wearing hi viz...like.....WTF !

cats will be wearing them next..........

Forgot to mention the jersey hanging around me arse during fred days too, arms like 2 match sticks in the sleeves.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I generally give a wave hello as if I am out Solo then I've got earphones in :eek:

Last Autum though I was out for a quick spin around home. I spied two lads coming home from GAA practice but fairly moving on bikes ahead of me…… I gained on them nice and slowly and just as my front wheel was passing the first cyclist I went in a really low voice "boo"

Retrospecitvely, that wasn't a great idea because I scared the jeepers out of him and he put the foot down trying to chase me down. Best ride I've ever had. never been so wrecked trying to get away :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

If I catch someone
      Say hello Pretend to be fresh Mention the weather General small talk about routes Offer them shelter from the wind Slowly up the pace to drop them without appearing to be doing so

If I'm caught
      Stare straight ahead and pretend they don't exist Slowly up the pace to drop them without appearing to be doing so If that doesn't work, pretend to have a mechanical

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

Not immediately relevant. But not long after I started cycling, I came in one day and Rambling Woman asked me if there were many cyclists out.

I told her "loads, but almost all of them on the other side of the road" She sat me down and after going through a few diagrams I realised I'd had a Dougal moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I find cycling etiquette a bit bizarre tbh. I mainly cycle alone and usually meet 3 or 4 cyclists coming the other direction. I also ride a motorbike and (in general) when you meet another biker coming the other way he will give a nod and I'll do likewise. I've had some bikers go further than that such as sticking their leg out as much as possible as they go by, just to give you a bit of a laugh. But when I first got back into cycling I presumed the tradition in motorbiking would hold true in cycling too and I used to nod constantly at cyclists coming the other way, just as a kind of an acknowledgement that we're both into the same sport and also for the sake of friendliness. Not once did I get a nod back so I stopped doing it as I felt like a twat never getting an acknowledgement from other cyclists.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Muahahaha wrote: »
    But when I first got back into cycling I presumed the tradition in motorbiking would hold true in cycling too and I used to nod constantly at cyclists coming the other way. Not once did I get a nod back so I stopped doing it.

Not once? Maybe you're nodding to the wrong cyclists( wouldnt give 'the nod' to someone on a dublin bike like) but if I'm out on a spin I'd say the vast majority of cyclists I give 'the nod' to will return it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I find cycling etiquette a bit bizarre tbh. I mainly cycle alone and usually meet 3 or 4 cyclists coming the other direction. I also ride a motorbike and (in general) when you meet another biker coming the other way he will give a nod and I'll do likewise. I've had some bikers go further than that such as sticking their leg out as much as possible as they go by, just to give you a bit of a laugh. But when I first got back into cycling I presumed the tradition in motorbiking would hold true in cycling too and I used to nod constantly at cyclists coming the other way, just as a kind of an acknowledgement that we're both into the same sport and also for the sake of friendliness. Not once did I get a nod back so I stopped doing it as I felt like a twat never getting an acknowledgement from other cyclists.

And I thought it was only me!!.. (biker too).

Although I still give the nod its half hearted as I really don't expect it to be returned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I wouldn't worry about it - sometimes you might be lost in thought and not notice someone and visa versa.

Unless they are nod-snobbing ( you nod at them, and they just stare back ....grrr :pac: )

colm18 wrote: »
    Not once? Maybe you're nodding to the wrong cyclists( wouldnt give 'the nod' to someone on a dublin bike like) but if I'm out on a spin I'd say the vast majority of cyclists I give 'the nod' to will return it

Yeah, not once, which surprised me. And this is out on backcountry roads behind Dublin airport. I'd never do it in a city centre or anything, same with motorbiking, you only really do it in rural areas. But yeah in the perhaps 12-15 spins that I did do it I never once got a nod back so I just stopped doing it. Whereas with motorbiking I'd say you get a nod back 80-90% of the time, its just common motorbiking etiquette really which is why I was surprised it didn't (to me anyway) seem to translate to cycling. Maybe its just the roads I'm on and other cyclists are fully concentrated on beating personal bests or something but to me nodding at another cyclist coming the other direction on a quiet country road doesn't seem to be part of cycling etiquette whereas if you didn't do it to a another motorcyclist he'd be probably thinking you're an ignorant twat or something, its just that common amongst bikers that it happens far far more frequently in my experience.

Just wondering is there any etiquette with cyclists with a flat tyre? Last summer I repaired one on the side of the road in the Phoenix Park and had probably 30+ cyclists ride by with none asking if everything is ok. Its probably not the done thing or something but that day I really could have done with a hand I was at it that long. I didn't want to ask anyone as you kinda feel you're interrupting their workout, but I was having such an obvious struggle getting the tyre off the rim I really hoped someone would offer, none did though :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Just wondering is there any etiquette with cyclists with a flat tyre? Last summer I repaired one on the side of the road in the Phoenix Park and had probably 30+ cyclists ride by with none asking if everything is ok. Its probably not the done thing or something but that day I really could have done with a hand I was at it that long. I didn't want to ask anyone as you kinda feel you're interrupting their workout, but I was having such an obvious struggle getting the tyre off the rim I really hoped someone would offer, none did though :o

Aaaaaand again, same here!.. I ran through a curse of punctures at the start of this winter (f*ck you Maxxis Detonators, hello Gatorskins) and not one offer of help (I didn't need any, but its nice to know you're not alone too).

Like on the motorbike I'd never pass a broken down cyclist, never.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Again, I'd always ask someone if they needed a hand and most I've the time a cyclist has passed me while I'm fixing a flat they've asked do I need help!

colm18 wrote: »
    Again, I'd always ask someone if they needed a hand and most I've the time a cyclist has passed me while I'm fixing a flat they've asked do I need help!

Lol, I must be cycling in the wrong spots :D

In fairness I always find other cyclists pretty friendly when I meet them outside shops, supermarkets, etc and I've often struck up conversations. But out on the road less so in my experience, at least compared to bikers anyway.

I think amongst bikers there is a general feeling that what we do (and the speeds we do it at) is genuinely dangerous so perhaps the camaderie comes from that point of view somewhat. I know whenever I hear of another biker being killed on the roads my heart always sinks as I know it could have been me and know how easily your end can happen on a motorbike, whereas cycling doesn't appear as dangerous.

I snowboard a lot too in the winter and in that sport (and skiing too) you'd never pass someone who looks anyway in trouble, again it might be because the people who snowboard and ski have a genuine appreciation for how dangerous it can be, therefore they tend to look out for others a lot more than in less dangerous sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...Just wondering is there any etiquette with cyclists with a flat tyre? Last summer I repaired one on the side of the road in the Phoenix Park and had probably 30+ cyclists ride by with none asking if everything is ok...
    Most of those were probably fair weather short distance leisure cyclists or short distance commuters who may not know how to assist you (i.e. the type who will call home/a taxi if they get a puncture). If you get one in an isolated remote area such as in the Wicklow mountains, you're much more likely to get offers of assistance. I've assisted a few people in such scenarios and have given spare tubes, gels, drinks etc. (Most of those who I've helped had a low quality mini-pump which didn't work).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

This may seem a daft question, but what is the etiquette when a cycling alone and you cross paths with a fellow cyclist.
    My reason for asking is a really sound cyclist pulled pulled up alongside me today and started chatting away asking me how my ride was going etc, was a grand bit of Then he went his way and I went mine. Felt really good to have that, wouldn't happen when walking!

Would it be common place to slide up along a fellow chap on his evening spin and engage in chat, or a quick nod suffice? I don't want to come across a weirdo sponging on someone's spin but I don't want to be a rude tit either, what are the "unwritten rules " of cycling etiquette??

Haven't pulled the bike off the turbo yet but this thread is moving me one step closer in doing so; just miss it out there peddling!

The Cycling Etiquette when meeting other cyclists: What are you generally like when you meet other people?
    When I first started cycling I would smile & nod & even wave. I've had fellow cyclists come out behind me and join me in my singing a few times :o

Always found it great when others would just spend a few mins chatting; just a few mins company used keep me quite content tbh. It would break up my spin and break up my thoughts.
    I have encountered cyclists who would just stare you outta it when I said hello to them; rude to it was. Not in slightest bit friendly.

Was never a serious cyclist; just out for a spin, clear the head, stretch the legs and just feel so much better in myself on returning, regardless of the weather - just felt energised & fresh.
    Anyone I've caught up with and knew I could spend a few mins with I did; just general chat; a laugh; just saying hello & ask how they are etc.

You won't be long in finding out if someone doesn't want company. It costs nothing to smile and say hello. You encounter another with a similar interest as yourself and you meet; I always found it nice to just smile & say hello or nod or wave or even share a few lines of a song.

You'll meet them all. Lookit though, people can have off days too and I learned not to be taking ignorance seriously or personally (which I used to and it would just leave me deflated at very least!)

Keep Smiling,
    Happy & Safe Peddling,
    kerry4sam

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Aaaaaand again, same here!.. I ran through a curse of punctures at the start of this winter (f*ck you Maxxis Detonators, hello Gatorskins) and not one offer of help (I didn't need any, but its nice to know you're not alone too).

Like on the motorbike I'd never pass a broken down cyclist, never.

You're cycling in the wrong places. Any time I'm stopped when out for a spin I get offers of assistance and offer assistance to others.

I was waiting for a mate on the N81 near Brittas last summer, he was coming over the Sally Gap, and recieved at least 20 offers of help.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Brian? wrote: »
    ...I was waiting for a mate on the N81 near Brittas last summer, he was coming over the Sally Gap, and recieved at least 20 offers of help.
    I was having a well earned break on a ditch on the N81 a while back (after a horrible climb over the Wicklow Gap in a headwind) and quite a number stopped offering help assuming I had a mechanical. Must be an N81 thing!

Advertisement