Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭omega42

Hi Folks

Hoping someone can help. I have a Nat. Dip in computing which is now equivalent to an Ordinary degree, I also have a Cert in training & continuing education from NUI 2.1.

I also have done the old Train the trainer and was registered with Fas as a trainer (this was over 10 years ago though).

I have tried the teachers council and emailed all the course's listed on there website the same question but always get a stock reply.

I am aware that a level 7 degree with additional qualification would require me to do an interview.

My question is would my qualification allow me to the interview stage

I'm looking to get into further education teaching with the ETB's or similar.

Thanks all for reading

Omega

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kraj

Hi there,

I'm just wondering if anyone has done their interview for the Professional Master of Education in Primary Education for the Hibernia March 2015 intake? I know there are loads of posts about the interviews... but with this being the first intake for the masters course I'm wondering if there are any changes. I know the Irish interview now comes first, but if anyone has done it already it would be great to hear what the format/questions were like!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Rua88

I did the PDE with them the last year. Apparently its the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Byrno_02

Got called for my interview next week. Weekend full of study, revision for irish and nerves :/

• Registered Users Posts: 8 caromar

Hi I'm starting the PME this March. There was an intake for the Masters in September too.The interview seems to be the same.I had english first though and then irish.The questions are pretty much what youve probably already read on other threads.My english interview was based on what was on my application, then questions about technology, computer use, working in groups or teams and the challenges that may occur with doing so. How I might use my own degree in the classroom.They take it in turns asking questions,while one asks the other is making notes, this was not the same in the irish interview, only one asked questions as the other made notes.My irish interview was general chat about myself, home, area, family, work, college, favourite tv show tell us about it, last book I read tell about it.They also asked about information I had on my application in relation to work.What are the traits of a teacher was another question.Did I have a favourite teacher and why.Lots of tense changes.Modh Coinn was What would I do if I won the lotto.Also was asked how would I make a cup of tea! They dont let you ramble on for long on any one topic.Hope this was helpful. Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Saoi_

I'd like to do a PME in history but I only did 5 ects of my degree in Irish history. Will this prevent me from doing a PME in history?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Byrno_02

Is there only one question for the Modh Con? I have no teaching experience so I'm worried about that, I have worked in an Irish College, but as a kayaking instructor. My level of Irish is good(ish), just need to get back in the habit of speaking as Gaeilge. Were you waiting long to hear back from them?

Hi I can only remember being asked those two modh c questions. Maybe there were more but I didnt realise! The experience you have in Irish College is of benefit. Theyll see you enjoy working with young people/children.Sports will stand to you.Id say prepare some vocab for sports questions for irish interview. I was waiting two weeks for an email to say I was approved.I found out just before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Hunter gatherer

Hey guys. Seeing as you are all educators or newly qualified teachers I would like to draw your attention to this petition and ask that you consider signing it or sharing it anywhere you deem appropriate.

It is regarding the 300 teaching hours that are required and is hoping to pressurise the teaching council to clarify what countries or states are recognised. Or indeed, ask that ones outside of Ireland or the UK alone are recognised for those who do end up going further afield. May not change the world, but it is worth a try if it affects NQTs and their teaching options.

http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/Newly_Qualified_Teachers_Ask_for_teaching_experience_abroad_to_count_towards_PQE/?cjJBmab

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gavwaldo

Saoi_ wrote: »
    I'd like to do a PME in history but I only did 5 ects of my degree in Irish history. Will this prevent me from doing a PME in history?

you have to have studied at least 15 credits but i'd say could've done that already as there must have been core modules in irish history? ie when i did it in ucc there was a compulsory 5 credits in 1st year and 3rd year. i know that leaves another 5 credits for you to have come up with but could that be the 5 credits you were talking about?

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/_fileupload/Registration/Subject%20Criteria%20from%20January%202017.pdf

The qualifying degree must carry at least 180 ECTS (European Credit Transfer System)
    credits (or equivalent) with the specific study of History comprising at least 60 ECTS
    credits (or equivalent) and with not less than 10 ECTS credits (or equivalent) studied at
    third-year level or higher (or modular equivalent).
    2. The study of History during the degree must show that the holder has acquired sufficient
    knowledge, skills and understanding to teach the History syllabus2 to the highest level in postprimary
    education (see www.curriculumonline.ie). To meet this requirement the degree must
    include the study of a minimum of 15 ECTS credits (or equivalent) in Irish History.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Michael Doyle2

Hi Byrno. How long were you waiting to get called for your interview? I'm looking at submitting my app online this week. Thanks

Thanks caromar! My interview is tomorrow, fingers crossed!

I applied at the start of December and was told just before Christmas that my interview would be on Jan 12th.

Hi everyone, I had my interview and these were my questions - hope they help!

Gaeilge
    - Where did I live
    - How did I get to the interview
    - Did I watch Charlie (the TV show), what did I think of it?
    - Were my parents interested in politics
    - How did I prepare for the interview
    - What did I watch on TnaG
    - What are my hobbies
    - Tell us about your voluntary work abroad (it was on my application)
    - Where would you like to go next
    - What are you doing next weekend
    - What would you do if you won the lotto

English (not in the exact wording, but you get the jist!)
    - Tell us about the person who has had the most significant influence over your educational experience so far.
    - Tell us about a time you described/taught something to a group of people
    - What do I think the most challenging part of the PME will be
    - How would I use IT to facilitate learning in the classroom
    - How would I deal with a difficult colleague
    - How would I deal with a complaint about my work
    - What are the challenges of working in a group
    - What are the characteristics of the ideal leader
    - What are the differences and similarities in volunteer work abroad and in Ireland (I had both on my application so they drew from that).

Thats all I can remember right now!

Good luck to anyone yet to do theirs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Michael Doyle2

Thanks Kraj!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jellytots159

Hi all,

I have my Interview at the end of month and just wondering of any of you's have done yours? My subjects are Business and Accounting and would love to know what kind of general questions they ask for these subjects?

Thanks Karj for some of the general questions you posted below ...great help :)
    How did you think your interview went and also how long does the interview last?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

Hi guys!

I'm just wondering if you have sufficient credits to teach 3 subjects, are you able to teach all 3? Or does the PGDE only allow you to teach 2 subjects?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 aoifewadding

I had my interview last Tuesday and I received my offer by email on Friday. They asked me :

Irish- About myself, where I live, my hobbies, where I have travelled to, if I have ever been to the Gaeltacht, how I travelled up, my life in college, my degree, irish language, secondary school, where my secondary school friends are now, if I would like to go to Australia, if I could pick anywhere in the world where would I go, how did I prepare for the irish part of the interview.

I messed up a good bit with my tenses to be honest! I mostly had stuff learned off!

English- why I chose this course, what will be the most difficult aspect of this course, am I an objective person, how I would encourage technology in the classroom, why is it important to be motivated, my experience, then they talked a lot about the things that I had on my application (results, experience etc), how would my previous degree help me in this particular course, what was the most difficult thing that I have overcome in my educational life so far.!

The interviewers were so nice, especially the man!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jellytots159

Thanks Aoife
    Congratulations:)
    that's a great help and guidance for me to follow. I have mine now next week so fingers crossed I get it :/
    Also I see in the email that they sent to confirm interview that their will be a reflective task 15 prior to the interview did you have this ? X

Hi Jellytots,
    Best of luck next week! I didnt have any task with my interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 aoifewadding

No I didn't have any tasks like that either !! Best of luck ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭ShamrockGirl

Thanks Aoife
    that's a great help and guidance for me to follow. I have mine now next week so fingers crossed I get it :/
    Also I see in the email that they sent to confirm interview that their will be a reflective task 15 prior to the interview did you have this ? X

I interviewed too, didn't have any reflection task either, just to arrive 15 mins early before scheduled time :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tipplad90

Does anybody know that if one can defer starting until september if they get an offer??? Kind of jumping to conclusions here seen as I havent even done an interview yet but i'm starting a new job next week and i feel i would be in a better place to start the course then...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ChanelMalone

Hi,

Has anyone else had an interview yet? I'm so confused as to what to look at for the Irish interview. I used to have really good Irish but I haven't used it since I did my Leaving Cert. I only sent in my application on Tuesday an got a call about an interview the net day, in a week!! :O I thought I would have had a lot more time to go over my Irish. I'm afraid to learn off questions and answers as (from what I've heard) they seem to cut you off if they think you're rhyming off stuff. Can anyone even recommend any sites online for like quick refreshment of basic gaeilge.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Skittles80

@Tipplad Maybe you should do the interview first

• Registered Users Posts: 12 chloeccc44

Thanks Aoife

Hey how did the interview go,
    I have mine this wed and was also wondering about the reflective task too??? any help at all would be great thanks. my subjects are biology and ag science

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Giggles90

Hi,

Congrats to anyone who secured a place. I have my interview tomorrow. My subjects are geography and history. Do they go into much detail about your chosen subjects???

Giggles90 wrote: »
    Hi,

Congrats to anyone who secured a place. I have my interview tomorrow. My subjects are geography and history. Do they go into much detail about your chosen subjects???

They asked me how I would bring my own degree subject into the classroom.Good Luck!

No but you do need to know what is on d curriculum. My subjects are ag science and biology and I had to give examples of experiments.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭poster2525

NOS3 wrote: »
    Hi guys!

I'm just wondering if you have sufficient credits to teach 3 subjects, are you able to teach all 3? Or does the PGDE only allow you to teach 2 subjects?

I studied with Hibernia - you're required to teach 2 subjects(approx 84 hours each) over 3 placements.

Students find if very difficult to get hours in schools. If you had a 3rd subject, the training college/school may accomodate you and allow you to teach a few hours of that subject as part of the required total number of hours. You'd have to ask!!!

• Advertisement

Did any1 get word from the interview yet

Advertisement