Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pub trade is dying - Minimum price for Alcohol?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Not that I'm a supporter of this (far from it in fact) but I presume he's thinking that pricier alcohol will mean less consumption which will will mean less alcohol illnesses and visits to A&E which indirectly could ease the pressure in hospitals.

Too much of a leap? Probably but that might be some part of the justification.

You're giving his ideas too much faith, the real driving force behind this is the VFI who have been whinging for years that their trade is dying because of cheap alcohol in supermarkets and off licences (nothing at all to do of course with the extortionate prices of drinks in their members pubs).

This is all bluster at the moment anyway, it is not a decision that the government can just implement regardless of what soundbites Leo comes out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

What is the deal with the VFI? do pubs have to join or are there independent pubs?

I think a boycott of VFI pubs until this is reversed could be the answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

We should organise a boycott of pubs/off-licences connected to politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

hi ho
    hi ho
    its up the north i go
    for a **** load of cans in my hiace van
    hi ho hi ho

The govt. are waiting until minimum pricing is introduced up North aswell to stop us doing this.The booze will probably still be cheaper up there.

It's a tenner for a day trip on the ferry to Wales,bring a suitcase & fill it with booze over there and head home again.

More Nanny State sh1te in this country.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I know the off licence body isn't as strong or as influential as the VFI but hopefully in the next few months they can lobby the Government(with help from the Supermarkets) to ensure that the minimum price isn't actually in the 90-110c region that we've been hearing but lower and in the region of 70-75c or so which wouldn't be the end of the world

This battle has a long way to go yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Could be time to look into homebrewing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

gerrybbadd wrote: »

Watch them introduce new taxes on that too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭elefant

If cheap drink is the cause of problems with drink in Ireland, the rest of the world must be falling apart with all the issues they're having with alcohol abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

If you have any money left. Gather it up and leave the country asap. The government only want rich multinational companies all us plebs can gtfo. Pricing the tax payer into small dark caves while taking everything but the shirt off their backs to pay back the IMF.

More taxes, stealth taxes, double taxes, rent through the roof, lack of housing supply, harder to buy property to fall back on, insurance cost up, private health insurance up, energy prices up, transport prices up year on year, now minimum beer prices. No point in saving money either as you don't get interest on it anymore. May aswell well give the government my full paycheck each week and live off the social.

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Boohoo, fecking, hoo...

When they charge almost €5 for a bloody pint what the hell do they expect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Anyone who thinks this is being done for our health needs to take off the blinkers.

Tax.

Cameron didn't introduce it as he saw the legal ramifications of it. How does it work with products 'on sale'?

Again, the Government announce something without thinking it through or looking at other countries.

The UK are in the process of scrapping continuous assessment in secondary schools because it doesn't work and yet our Government goes ahead and tries to bring it in despite evidence showing otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

elefant wrote: »
    If cheap drink is the cause problems with drink in Ireland, the rest of the world must be falling apart with all the issues they're having with alcohol abuse.

So they tell us that raising the price of drink stops people drinking as much.

We have some the highest prices for alcohol in Europe as it is, yet our nanny statists tell us that we drink far too much. How come our *existing* high prices havent *already* made us one of the lowest consumers of alcohol then?

Could it be because there is no correlation between the price of alcohol and the level of consumption? *gasp*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

9 euro minimum for a bottle of wine? The p!ss we pay 9 euro for now is often found in milk carton like containers for under a euro on the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Watch them introduce new taxes on that too!

They can introduce all the taxes they like on home brewing. You can source everything you need for home brewed beer or cider without buying from a company.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    They can introduce all the taxes they like on home brewing. You can source everything you need for home brewed beer or cider without buying from a company.

Gonna malt your own barley are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Boohoo, fecking, hoo...

When they charge almost €5 for a bloody pint what the hell do they expect?

They whinged when Wetherspoons first toyed with the idea of moving into Ireland,now they are here suddenly the push begins for minimum pricing.How many drunkards has anyone seen falling out of JD's in Dublin? None.

Protectionism by the VFI & their friends in Government plain & simple.

drumswan wrote: »
    Gonna malt your own barley are you?

Yep.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Yep.

Nice one! How?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,885 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

zerks wrote: »
    They whinged when Wetherspoons first toyed with the idea of moving into Ireland,now they are here suddenly the push begins for minimum pricing.How many drunkards has anyone seen falling out of JD's in Dublin? None.

Protectionism by the VFI & their friends in Government plain & simple.

Ehhhhh....:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

gerrybbadd wrote: »

I may go down this route myself, but it's hardly ideal. What could possibly go wrong with increasing the numbers of people around the country producing hooch in the bath?

I don't believe the majority of people voted for this. But ultimately, we elect a government that can do whatever the hell it wants for five years. And we know that despite all the broken promises about "democratic revolution", they've bowed to the same vested interests as the last crowd.

I won't be voting for them next time. That's the only power we really have.

• Advertisement

animaal wrote: »
    I may go down this route myself, but it's hardly ideal. What could possibly go wrong with increasing the numbers of people around the country producing hooch in the bath?
    Homebrewing hasnt been about 'producing hooch in the bath' since the 1980s. Decent quality kit beers can be produced easily by anyone and nothing can 'go wrong' other than producing less than optimal flavours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

If the minimum price of a can goes up to €2.20 will the more expensive brands (Heineken for eg.) up their price even further or will they remain the same?

If they remain the same I can see this killing the likes of Bavaria, Dutch Gold, Tuborg etc. as there won't be too many that will pick that stuff up when they can get more 'respected' brands for much the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

Blatter wrote: »
    If the minimum price of a can goes up to €2.20 will the more expensive brands (Heineken for eg.) up their price even further or will they remain the same?

If they remain the same I can see this killing the likes of Bavaria, Dutch Gold, Tuborg etc. as there won't be too many that will pick that stuff up when they can get more 'respected' brands for much the same price.

that is an interesting question...and if the rest do go up - and i think they will - we are screwed...decent beer is way overpriced already...

They'll increase their regular prices as, say Diageo, will have to maintain profit levels that will be hit by a fall in sales for Tuborg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Moaning Joan Burton on radio right now explaining how buying 15 bottles for €15 is "very cheap". You can buy 15 bottles of beer on much of the continent for under €8 and she is calling €15 cheap for the same thing. Under the new rules even the cheapest of table wine will cost almost €10 a bottle for stuff that the French would baulk at paying more than €2.50 a bottle for. 15 bottles of beer will cost more than €25 on these new rules

I suppose €25 is nothing if you get paid €170,000 a year like she does. But for normal people its a huge price.

€2.20 a can will have me ramping up my homebrew operation significantly, no way am I paying €2.20 a can when I can brew it myself for under 50c a pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Will it not cut down on the amount people spend on alcohol?

Severely doubt it.

Nobody is saying it's exactly rational pressure from the usual lobbyists. Off sales will still be cheaper but they just want to make drinking at home as expensive and unattractive as they possibly can. Any bleating on their behalf about health benefits is utterly risible, given the culture of binge drinking in Irish pubs; their opposition to the smoking ban and the eye-watering cost of minerals in pubs.

The government gain because their 'stance' on binge drinking will appeal to a certain segment of gullible morons in the electorate and there's the extra revenue too.

It's also an unfair affront to people on tight budgets. You can argue that a lot of wine drinkers usually pay over the proposed minimum price anyway. Likewise most so called craft beer drinkers. It's a sneaky move to pull on people that just want to have a few cheap drinks at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just a few of the regular prices from Carrefour, France's main supermarket. And Irish politicians tell us that beer in Ireland is cheap :rolleyes:

12 résultats pour "biere"

Bière Blonde 6,6°
    20 bouteilles, 20x25cLPrix : 14.53 €

Bière Blonde 6,6°
    12 bouteilles, 12x25cLPrix : 9.21 €

Bière Blonde 6,6°
    8 bouteilles, 8x25cLPrix : 6.51 €

Bière 8.6 Absinthe 8,3°
    Le pack de 6 boîtes, 6x25cLPrix : 4.58 €

Bière Blonde d'Abbaye Aromatisée à la Poire 6%
    6 bouteilles, 6x25cLPrix : 5.49 €

Pack Découverte : 2 Bières Blanche 4,9° & 2 Bières Rosée 3°
    4 bouteilles, 4x25cLPrix : 5.38 €

Bière Aromatisée au Rhum 5,9%
    3 bouteilles, 3x33cLPrix : 4.78 €

Spécialité à Base de Bière et Jus de Pamplemousse Rose 2.5°
    6 bouteilles, 6x25cLPrix : 5.05 €

Bière Blonde d'Abbaye Fleur de Sureau & Houblon Floral 6,7°
    6 bouteilles, 6x25cLPrix : 6.03 €

Bière Blonde d'Abbaye Brassée en Belgique depuis 1074 6.7°
    6 bouteilles, 6x25cLPrix : 5.17 €

Bière Aromatisée Tequila 5.9°
    12 bouteilles, 12x33cLPrix : 17.64 €

Bière Aromatisée Tequila, Menthe, Citron Vert 4.7°
    3 bouteilles, 3x33cLPrix : 5.41 €

Spécialité à Base de Bière et de Jus de Citron 2.5°
    6 bouteilles, 6x25cLPrix : 4.90 €

> Commander ce produit et me faire livrer à domicile
    > Voir tous les produits

Bière Aromatisée Tequila 5.9°
    4 boîtes, 4x50cLPrix : 7.27 €

Bière Blonde Aromatisée 5,5%
    6 bouteilles, 6x25cLPrix : 5.78 €

Bière Aromatisée Vodka & Agrumes 6%
    3 bouteilles, 3x33cLPrix : 4.48 €

Bière Aromatisée Tequila, Guarana, Cachaça 5.9°
    3 bouteilles, 3x33cLPrix : 5.62 €

• Administrators Posts: 53,542 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Varadkar is on twitter, feel free to let him know your opinion on this.

https://twitter.com/campaignforleo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Leo's very presumptuous that they'll (FG and Labour) still be governing come summer time.

Meanwhile Irish Water slowly strangles them.

I say gather the lot of them up, put them in a big vat of their own piss and boil them.

Bunch of clowns.

Advertisement