Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

Anyone know if The 40 foot has sorted out their cask ale supply problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Chelon wrote: »
    Anyone know if The 40 foot has sorted out their cask ale supply problem?

Not as of 2 nights ago

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Broadside in fine form in TTT today.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Mynamehere

How does the the Three Tun and the 40 foot turn a profit with those prices with staff to pay, rates and other expenses? I would love to see their accounts for their Dublin pubs. They surely cant be making much even if they are busy.

Had a chicken panini in a wetherspoons recently in the UK. If those two pubs in Dublin are serving similar standard food then i don't think the local chippers/ food pubs have anything to worry about. The food was of a similar standard to a pre packed sandwich reheated in a microwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I have enjoyed their curry night, not amazing but good value.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

Mynamehere wrote: »
    How does the the Three Tun and the 40 foot turn a profit with those prices with staff to pay, rates and other expenses? I would love to see their accounts for their Dublin pubs. They surely cant be making much even if they are busy.

Had a chicken panini in a wetherspoons recently in the UK. If those two pubs in Dublin are serving similar standard food then i don't think the local chippers/ food pubs have anything to worry about. The food was of a similar standard to a pre packed sandwich reheated in a microwave.

Its a clever business model, because its cheap, punters come back more often.

Their pubs in parts of the north of England are even cheaper, two meals for £6.47 in places like Barnsley. The chain still made a £ 79 million profit in 2012.

Shows how punters in expensive pubs and restaurants are being fleeced.

In the UK wetherspoons has got more expensive, not so long ago they were doing 99p pints.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-2753418/More-pub-openings-help-boost-profits-JD-Wetherspoon.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Its a clever business model, because its cheap, punters come back more often.

Their pubs in parts of the north of England are even cheaper, two meals for £6.47 in places like Barnsley. The chain still made a £ 79 million profit in 2012.

Shows how punters in expensive pubs and restaurants are being fleeced.

In the UK wetherspoons has got more expensive, not so long ago they were doing 99p pints.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-2753418/More-pub-openings-help-boost-profits-JD-Wetherspoon.html

Just because Spoons are cheaper it doesn't necessarily mean that you are being fleeced in other bars. I would imagine the reason why Spoons still make massive profits is down to scale and buying power. Other places might have higher overheads or maybe are just not as savvy when it comes to buying or just the general running of the pub.

It's impossible to know any of this without seeing their books though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Just because Spoons are cheaper it doesn't necessarily mean that you are being fleeced in other bars. I would imagine the reason why Spoons still make massive profits is down to scale and buying power. Other places might have higher overheads or maybe are just not as savvy when it comes to buying or just the general running of the pub.

It's impossible to know any of this without seeing their books though.

Well, as you or I are not going to be seeing the books of 'spoons or any other Irish pub it is a pointless argument.

The "buying power" justification has already been destroyed by the Heineken spat. Heineken already clarified the they were not selling to JDW in Ireland at lower prices than to other customers, they were just butt hurt that their "premium" pisswater was being sold in a high profile location at bargain prices.

It is not as JDW were unique in selling much cheaper booze than normal in a licensed premises, the likes of Dicey O'reilley's and Blacker's (Welfare Wednesday) were and still are selling beer including "premium" Heineken for €3 or less without bother.

The difference is that JDW are taking non-scum custom from established pubs and will potentially be doing so on an ever increasing scale over the next few years and the 100% Irish cute hoor pub barons do not like the idea of their profits being hit by an incomer that doesn't play by the Irish cartel game.

The economy of scale justification is pretty thin also as JDW has a grand total of 2 open pubs in ROI at the moment. No doubt they are importing certain products to Blackrock and Dun Laoghaire from their UK or NI operations but that is hardly a cheap method of supplying cask or keg beer to an Irish pub unless the prices charged by local suppliers are so high to offset the additional logistics costs of bespoke imports.

Even if their expansion plans continue at a high rate it will still be a few years before JDW have more licenced premises than any of the big Irish pub chains (and they are chains even if they hide their common ownership under a shroud of "Genuine Irish Local Pub" branding) but never mind that, anyone selling beer at €3 or under must be doing something dodgy, otherwise it is really true that we have all been gouged by the LVA and Diageo/Heineken for decades for the defining Irish past time of boozing in a pub.

All that has happened is that JDW has demonstrated the prices that alcohol should be sold at in a pub. €2.50-3.00 for beer in a regular venue, maybe up to €4.00 in an exceptional premises, not the €5 upwards as is standard now in urban pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Rumor has it barracuda in bray is there next outlet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Just heard a rumour about the Castle Inn in Rathfarnham. Although a lot seem to be nothing more than rumours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,976 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

oblivious wrote: »

Yeah, I heard that at the weekend while drinking in Blackrock.

It was voted best restaurant in Bray in 2014 for what it's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Yeah, I heard that at the weekend while drinking in Blackrock.

It was voted best restaurant in Bray in 2014 for what it's worth.
    by whom? They must have no taste buds. I've been to the barracuda 5 times, and only once by choice. Food is bog standard, service is slow and inaccurate. Nephew ordered fish, they served him up a steak even though no one at the table even ordered steak.

Campo the italian restaurant opposite it, is much much better and in or around the same price too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,976 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

by whom?

Bray Chamber of Commerce, no less. Michelin called in to try it out for a star but they got on the wrong Dart's and gave it to Bon Appetit in Malahide. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

oblivious wrote: »

Away games against Bray Wanderers on Saturdays from next season: a JDW and the Harbour Bar within walking distance of the ground

Sorted. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

anncoates wrote: »
    Away games against Bray Wanderers on Saturdays from next season: a JDW and the Harbour Bar within walking distance of the ground

Don't force them to bring in a no club colours rule like in Enger-land :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Harbour Bar is a dire place, living off it's own legend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

Just had lunch in my local spoons in Essex, Baked potato with chilli and a salad and a large mug of coffee £ 3.86.

The healthy stuff, pasta etc is not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Someone in the Galway city forum claims JDW have agreed to open in the former Cottage bar in Lower Salthill, announcing in a couple of weeks so he says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Someone in the Galway city forum claims JDW have agreed to open in the former Cottage bar in Lower Salthill, announcing in a couple of weeks so he says.

That's far too small for a weatherspoons

• Registered Users Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

RasTa wrote: »

Yep id agree but thats what the rumours say. Very few/if any large sized venues available in Galway though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Yep id agree but thats what the rumours say. Very few/if any large sized venues available in Galway though.

Are you just thinking pubs and restaurants though, look at the premises they bought in Waterford!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

RasTa wrote: »
    Big enough if you include all the rooms though isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Big enough if you include all the rooms though isn't it?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Any update on the time frame for the Swords and Dublin City locations?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭squonk

I thought the Cottage in Salthill was being run by GBB? Have they pulled out of late?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Registered Users Posts: 14,766 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Was in the Forty Foot today, food was ok, prices obviously very good and the building is nice (though much more of a restaurant than a bar), but the service was atrocious - not sure I'd go back. Was there for 2 hours, I'd say I spent 40 minutes of that queuing to order; I had to ask a waiter to go and find our food twice and I was overcharged (and saw someone else also complaining of being overcharged).

They have a lot of staff wandering around the place, it would be much simpler to give them tablets and let them take the orders rather than their farcical "go to the bar" system.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,342 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

loyatemu wrote: »
    They have a lot of staff wandering around the place, it would be much simpler to give them tablets and let them take the orders rather than their farcical "go to the bar" system.

Unless the tablets were attached to the staff by sturdy chains, they would probably go 'missing' before long plus you have the issue of how to handle the cash - they'd all need cash (float) bags and credit card machines.

But I agree that it's silly that they can't at least go and get the coffee that you paid for when you ordered your meal, it really annoys me when I'm in the TTT and have to go back to the counter for my coffee even if there's lots of staff flouncing around with nothing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

In my personal opinion having been to both a few times, there's a problem in the 40ft as regards service, the long bar needs more staff, something the TTT doesn't have to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Advertisement