Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

step back week stepping a bit too far back....

Friday - the usual runmute in and out. I'd been thinking of doing the parkrun Saturday but calves were quite tight all day so decided against it

Saturday - went up to do the warmup anyway, lots of ice on the path. Slipped and went down myself on one bit, by the mast. The run route was changed (taking out that section by the mast) and times weren't recorded because the new route wasn't measured, fair play to them for putting on the run anyway

Sunday - club run from Knocklyon up through Marlay, Kilmashogue to the masts at Ticknock (?) No ice for this luckily, wasn't even cold until you got to the very top. Back down again for tea and cake...

Monday - platelet donation, no run

Tuesday - planned to do the club session but a combination of dodgy stomach and ****ty weather meant I skipped it

Wednesday - runmute home. Legs were in bits. Don't know if it was aftereffects of Sunday or Monday/Tuesday - maybe the combination, but this was slow and painful, glad I didn't do the UCD loop first

This morning - another slow runmute in

Tomorrow will be a day off too, club bagpack followed by work party, so this week will be 4 runs instead of 9 :eek:

Saturday - no running, just helped out at Tymon Kilkeel

Sunday - easy Kilkeel up to Phoenix Running, around the outside and trails. Passed Maria McCambridge on the Kilkeel Glen Road, then Caitriona McKiernan in the Kilkeel Running. Was expecting to run into Kilkeel or Running next but no sign of them...

Monday - Kilkeel

Running - back in again

Wednesday - 6 x Kilkeel Running up in Tymon
    Kilkeel - 3.25
    Kilkeel - 3.28
    Kilkeel - 3.27
    Kilkeel - 3.32
    Kilkeel - 3.29
    Kilkeel - 3.35
    Running home

Kilkeel Running - Kilkeel Running to Tallaght, Kilkeel and Running drove up and Kilkeel Running for the Kilkeel Running. Nice way to start the day, but Kilkeel Running! (6.18 with the Kilkeel Running)

Kilkeel Running - Kilkeel Running up to Kilkeel Running, and then Kilkeel Running at the end

Saturday - Tymon parkrun (Garmin should really make Tymon one of their locations) Small crowd for this, only about 60 runners. I was in a group of three going around the first lap, and for a minute thought I'd be stuck out in front, but by the time we got back to the start line someone else had taken the lead - great, someone to chase :) First k was 3.29, getting carried away as usual, and declined from there, 3.34, 3.41, 3.47. The guy behind was gradually falling away, the guy in front gradually extending his lead - until around the 4k mark, where he stopped to stretch for 30 seconds :pac: and left me to struggle on :( for about a minute, until he steamed past me again. Managed to pick things up in the last k anyway, and finished in 18:09. Happy with that, fastest parkrun so far, and fastest 5k in a while, should be able to go a bit better on Thursday.

Sunday - just the usual 10k up and around Tymon, followed by diagonals.

Month|2010|2011|2012|2013|2014
    January|38.8|105.61|187.46|257.13|202.59
    February|35.5|106.68|191.79|212.8|217.1
    March|53.2|121.83|214|45.93|249.45
    April|72|106.33|201.18|51|150.36
    May|75.9|107.13|175.21|41.9|123.51
    June|90.2|64.85|150.09|89.72|150?
    July|118.1|126.92|242.21|147.92|200?
    August|124.4|168|240.27|173.96|227.51
    September|154|171.75|203.69|178.55|202.86
    October|108.7|191.2|229|196.88|201.55
    November|58.4|128.9|283.87|208.34|177.62
    December|83|166.58|285|233.23|219.01
    Total|1012.2|1578.1|2604|1837.3|~2300

Monday - up to Phoenix park. Didn't do the usual loop, just turned down Chesterfield and Furze to come back down the Upper Glen Road and out. 90 minutes is long enough for a long run these days...

Tuesday - runmute home, ending with diagonals. Also a bit shorter than usual, just over 10k

Today - runmute back in

Enjoying the running at the moment. I think the marathon was quite mentally draining, but I'm getting the appetite back, liking the (slightly) shorter and faster training, and keeping up with the flexibility and strength work. Weather is supposed to be mild again tomorrow, but could be wet and windy :( ... we'll see how it goes...

I decided to run the Tom Brennan a few weeks back for two reasons - I need to race more anyway, and it's a good time to set down a marker for the rest of the year. Didn't run any 5k road races last year, that needs to change this year
    A few days ago I was worried the race would be off - or not raceable - because of ice. Much milder now, but lots of wind and rain :( Got to the park in plenty of time and bumped into Chinguetti - good run! - collected my number, and wandered around for a bit before going for a warmup. Felt the usual ****e before a race - stiff, slow, stomach grumbling - but at least the rain was holding off and it wasn't too cold. Joined the pack from the front and waited a few minutes for a couple of rows of runners to finish their warmups.
    Race started on Furze road, running right into the wind. Fairly crazy start, not because of people in the wrong place but because we were all being blown over to the side of the road as we ran. 500m down the road though and we turned onto Ordnance Survey road and the wind was behind us! 3.25 for the first lap and it felt fairly comfortable
    Turned onto Chesterfield and there was the wind again, coming from the side though so not too bad 3.28. Turning onto Furze road was tough. No crowds to break the wind, it felt like running on the spot at times. But those first 2k gave me something to build on, I knew I was on for a PB if I held it together, so I just focussed on reeling in the Liffey Valley woman in front and working through it, 3.38 for the third k.
    Back onto OS road and starting to hurt, but tried to use the wind and close the gap on the group in front. There was a guy right behind me too getting a lot of shouts from spectators and getting closer. Fourth k was 3.35 and both gaps were getting smaller. Guy behind made a move coming up to Chesterfield but I took the corner fast and stayed ahead, one guy in the group in front was coming back to us. Coming up to the last corner and the guy behind is level again (and able to tell me we take the outside lane), guy in front is 5/10m ahead. Went for the line as soon as we turned the last corner - fecking wind again! - and was able to drop the guy behind and pass the one in front... but only for a second, he came back and got in a second ahead of me. 3.25 for the last k
    17:41 overall, 15 second PB, 45th overall, 3rd M40

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Thanks Ray, delighted with my time but great job by you. A PB in that wind down the Furze Road (twice) was cracking work. A great way to start the year for you.

Friday 2nd - runmute in and out of work

Saturday 3rd - 10k up and around Tymon

Sunday 4th - as above, but ending with diagonals in local park

Monday 5th - 10k home, plus diagonals

Tuesday 6th - easy runmute in the morning, session in the evening 2x15 minute tempo. 3.43 pace for the first, 3.47 on the second. Another windy evening. First half of each run we were straight into the wind, I was trying not to let theboyblunder disappear completely and waiting desperately for him to turn and signal it was time to start back. Second half I'm trying to run fast enough to keep the effort level up :pac: (2nd k 4.02, 4th 3.28, then in interval 2 4.05 and 3.27)

Wednesday 7th - short lap of UCD and home, just 65 minutes (long run!)

Thursday 8th - runmute back in. Wrecked after doing circuits with the kids in the evening :pac: (deck of cards workout, it wasn't only the kids groaning when we got 10 press-ups, 8 burpees, 9 press-ups in a row :)

today - runmute in and out, taking it very handy

pretty tired the last couple of days, getting a massage this evening and will be taking it easy tomorrow, racing on Sunday...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

What's the race Ray?

Dublin Masters XC
    Feeling a bit tired - stayed in bed for a lie-in this morning - and a bit battered after the massage yesterday, but will give it a bash. Have to start faster than I did in the intermediates...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Good luck with it Pops, don't envy you slogging around that muck, hopefully the wind will die down

TbL

• Advertisement

22.06 in the Dublin Masters XC, supposed to be 6k but I have it very short, 5.68k

Think I messed up this race before it even started :rolleyes: In the Intermediates I took things too easy at the start and settled into an (uncomfortable) rhythm, took it too easy. This time I wanted to go out harder, but I started about 4 rows back from the front (in a very wide start), and it was too far back :(. Spent the first k at least looking for gaps to go through, losing touch with the people I should have been racing. Spending the race passing people out may look good, but I shouldn't have been behind them in the first place!

Anyway, cold day but otherwise a nice race. The course has changed slightly, taking out a couple of mucky bends, a bit through trees near the finish, a cambered straight near the start. In exchange we got more traily bits and a (tiny) jump over a fallen tree trunk. We had an M35 and an M50 team out, which was great - a few injuries on the way around though - no women unfortunately

results are out - 48th of 208 runners, 15th of 48 M40
    My kid brother - who I beat by 20 seconds at the Tom Brennan - was 20 seconds and 16 places ahead of me - I didn't even know the fecker was running!
    next winter I'm doing all the cross country

Monday, platelet donation, day off
    Tuesday morning off as well
    Tuesday evening 2 x 20 tempo runs.
    This was supposed to be on our usual Firhouse Road route but the paths were lethal last night, no way we could run fast on them. So we jogged around to a green nearby where the juniors and older juveniles train and did our tempos there. It's a good enough spot, used to do 800s there. The whole green is on a slope, but you have the wind behind you running uphill and against you on the downs so even enough effort.
    4.06 pace on both tempos, well down on last week. Mainly because of the slippy, uneven surface, maybe a bit of a hangover from Sunday. Still, a good hard session

Wednesday - usual lap of UCD and home

Thursday - back into work

Friday - very easy in and out of work

Saturday - up early for a hill session in Tymon. Lots of frost and patches of ice on the paths, enough for them to cancel the parkrun and for me to run on the grass instead of the path. Wasn't really feeling it on this run. Switched to shorter hill after about 10 minutes, still no love for it :(
    Had an old man nap for a couple of hours in the afternoon, felt much better

Sunday - up early again, Phoenix park this time. In the Islandbridge gate, up through the s-bends and furry glen, then looping back down Upper glen road and out again, only 80ish minutes. Frosty again but no ice. A pack of deer were wandering along by the road at the s-bends, and at one point a few stags were hanging back, seemed to be keeping an eye on me, so I took a short cut through one of the dips on the south of the road :)

Monday - the usual thing, run home, loop around Bushy on the way, stop off for diagonals in the park closer to home

Tuesday - runmute in the morning, club session in the evening. The plan had 6x800 @ VO2 max, those of us racing Sunday were told to do 4 @race pace instead
    2:51 (slight drag up)
    2:42 (and back down)
    2:53
    2:43
    close enough ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

How far is your typical runmute Ray?

pistol_75 wrote: »
    How far is your typical runmute Ray?

The most direct route through Terenure and Rathgar is 7.2k, but I only take that on Fridays
    Usually I run through Bushy Park, but there are lots of variations, 8.6k is the shortest.
    A lap around UCD first adds about 6k
    Diagonals at the end add about 2k

some real numbers -
    last Wednesday (UCD lap first) - 14.4k @4.43
    Thursday am run - 9.5 @ 4.46
    Friday am and pm - 7.23 and 7.26 @ 5.22 and 5.17
    Monday (w/diagonals) - 11.47 @4.35
    Tuesday am - 8.61 @ 4.40
    yesterday (UCD) - 14.89 @ 4.31
    this morning - 8.59 @ 4.39

Wednesday - UCD and home, 14.89@4.31
    Thursday - runmute in, 8.59@4.39
    Friday - 7.22 and 7.19 @ 5.23 and 5.36
    Saturday - rolled over and went back to sleep! kind of manic week, between work and club stuff, definitely needed the rest

today - Raheny 5! One of my favourite races, and we had about 60 coming out from the club to run. Bit distracted unfortunately in the last few days, not as focused as I could have been. Anyway, got out around 2, spent a while chatting with the clubmates, then dropped in the bag and went for a bit of a warm-up, still not really feeling in race mode.

Lined up in about the right position for once and waited for the start. Got out at a reasonable pace, no real congestion, and hit first k in 3.30, turning onto the main road about the same time as a man-mountain from Raheny I realised must be christeb :) Adrenaline was starting to wear off a bit and pace to drop slightly, but I was just a little off a group with David Carrie and a Crusaders woman and kept that distance constant. Still wasn't feeling comfortable in the race though, the pace wasn't too hard but didn't feel that I was relaxed enough, wasn't flowing, didn't even enjoy the downhill on Sybill Hill Road.

Tunguska strolled by on Mount Prospect Avenue, dressed for an early morning recovery run and apparently working about that hard :pac: Seems to be a bit of a sneaky drag around where we turn back towards the park, after 3.30, 3.35, 3.35, 3.32 I was up to 3.41 for the 5th k, but holding position and staying uncomfortable but manageable. Back down to 3.31 for the downhill and the coast road.

Last year I lost a lot of time on the hill. This year I knew sub-29 was still on so I kept the cadence high on the way up. Passed a woman from Ballina at the bottom, and kept that gap from the group ahead to 5-10 metres. Time still way down though, 3.52. Last k was just a blur (a painful blur!) of telling myself I only had three sides of the park to run because the final straight is free! more or less worked! k8 was 3.28, fastest of the day, I managed to pull in to the group in front by the final corner, sprinted like **** to the line and made a few places up. 28.53 on the watch at the end, think I'm safely under 29 :)

28.50 gun, 28.47 chip, 86th overall, 78th male, 7th M40 (only 3:33 behind the first :eek::eek:)

Great to meet so many boardsies out running and spectating, fantastic race yet again from Raheny

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

RayCun wrote: »
    Wednesday - UCD and home, 14.89@4.31
    Thursday - runmute in, 8.59@4.39
    Friday - 7.22 and 7.19 @ 5.23 and 5.36
    Saturday - rolled over and went back to sleep! kind of manic week, between work and club stuff, definitely needed the rest

today - Raheny 5! One of my favourite races, and we had about 60 coming out from the club to run. Bit distracted unfortunately in the last few days, not as focused as I could have been. Anyway, got out around 2, spent a while chatting with the clubmates, then dropped in the bag and went for a bit of a warm-up, still not really feeling in race mode.

Lined up in about the right position for once and waited for the start. Got out at a reasonable pace, no real congestion, and hit first k in 3.30, turning onto the main road about the same time as a man-mountain from Raheny I realised must be christeb :) Adrenaline was starting to wear off a bit and pace to drop slightly, but I was just a little off a group with David Carrie and a Crusaders woman and kept that distance constant. Still wasn't feeling comfortable in the race though, the pace wasn't too hard but didn't feel that I was relaxed enough, wasn't flowing, didn't even enjoy the downhill on Sybill Hill Road.

Tunguska strolled by on Mount Prospect Avenue, dressed for an early morning recovery run and apparently working about that hard :pac: Seems to be a bit of a sneaky drag around where we turn back towards the park, after 3.30, 3.35, 3.35, 3.32 I was up to 3.41 for the 5th k, but holding position and staying uncomfortable but manageable. Back down to 3.31 for the downhill and the coast road.

Last year I lost a lot of time on the hill. This year I knew sub-29 was still on so I kept the cadence high on the way up. Passed a woman from Ballina at the bottom, and kept that gap from the group ahead to 5-10 metres. Time still way down though, 3.52. Last k was just a blur (a painful blur!) of telling myself I only had three sides of the park to run because the final straight is free! more or less worked! k8 was 3.28, fastest of the day, I managed to pull in to the group in front by the final corner, sprinted like **** to the line and made a few places up. 28.53 on the watch at the end, think I'm safely under 29 :)

Great to meet so many boardsies out running and spectating, fantastic race yet again from Raheny

That's a class time in fairness RC.

Impressive, well done.

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

Great result Ray fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah, +1 to that, great running.

Super running Ray, getting into great shape. Big 10k PB possible too in the right race.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Well done Ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭P_Fitz

Nice one Ray, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Super result, very impressive.

(damn you) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Good job. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Great run yesterday Ray.
    Well done.

Month|2010|2011|2012|2013|2014|2015
    January|38.8|105.61|187.46|257.13|202.59|199
    February|35.5|106.68|191.79|212.8|217.1
    March|53.2|121.83|214|45.93|249.45
    April|72|106.33|201.18|51|150.36
    May|75.9|107.13|175.21|41.9|123.51
    June|90.2|64.85|150.09|89.72|150?
    July|118.1|126.92|242.21|147.92|200?
    August|124.4|168|240.27|173.96|227.51
    September|154|171.75|203.69|178.55|202.86
    October|108.7|191.2|229|196.88|201.55
    November|58.4|128.9|283.87|208.34|177.62
    December|83|166.58|285|233.23|219.01
    Total|1012.2|1578.1|2604|1837.3|~2300

Mixed month - on the one hand, two PBs I'm very happy with, and a decent run in the Masters XC. On the other, a lot of missed days this month. It has basically been short-term gain at the expense of long-term progress. I think the major issue has been losing control of my easy run pace, so fatigue is building up.

I was thinking about this anyway, then we had Chris Jones over talking to the club, one of the things he was talking about was base-building, and the importance of taking the easy days easy (never heard that before:rolleyes:). Which is why I'm been following up on lactate/VO2 testing, if I establish paces there, it could help keep me disciplined.

(Some of the other things he talked about - the importance of learning the skill of running, to improve running economy, instead of just putting in 'work', and alternating paces around a goal pace instead of sticking at that pace, to change the mechanical stresses involved. More to think about in planning my training in the next few months)

Curious to hear if Jones said anything about doing speedwork during base-building (either positive or negative?). Also, what's the main goal for the next few months?

• Advertisement

My rough memory (must take another look at the presentation) is that he said speedwork was good, but at below max effort and the total session should not be too taxing.

I think he'd be happy to go out and talk to your club too...

Advertisement