Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

If you agree please like my post

Well, in the interest of a democratic poll, your question implies that anyone who doesn't like your post, disagrees with your point.

80 users online, 10 likes so far...........:o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I havent switched off the electric blanket at all. The bed is like a furnace!

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

Feck What Various Thrushes it's not going to happen - looking at charts now through your eyes ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

FWVT wrote: »
    But the 850 hPa level is rising all the time from tomorrow, by about 250 m higher than today. 850 hPa temperature alone is only one factor of a lot to look at.

The actual amount of precipitation forecast for Tuesday should also be watched. Each of the GFS runs today appears to be downgrading it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

So some here are predicting snowmagedon for early next week whilst M E are being a little more cautious. Lets see how this plays out.....

• Advertisement

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I havent switched off the electric blanket at all. The bed is like a furnace!

Winter is coming Jon Snow......

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Easterly Beasterly

@Clonmel1000 .. who predicted snowmageddon?
    For me yesterday, met Eireann got it wrong. Some people here were much closer to the mark.

What will be will be - and we don't have long to wait - I'm disregarding all the old time wise scientific apparatus users- and putting a bet down on frog Green - Dublin late Monday will be a serious SNO event after a few cold nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

So some here are predicting snowmagedon for early next week whilst M E are being a little more cautious. Lets see how this plays out.....
    They always do that wen they no there is a threat of cold and snow a few days away. The 9 o clock forecast tomorrow nite will tell all.

It's funny though she said " tomorrow will have rain, sleet. snow on high ground but also at low levels to"
    She really covered her self there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

FWVT wrote: »
    But the 850 hPa level is rising all the time from tomorrow, by about 250 m higher than today. 850 hPa temperature alone is only one factor of a lot to look at.

Quick question. What chart gives us the 850 hPa level? Is it the thickness charts? Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

@Clonmel1000 .. who predicted snowmageddon?
    For me yesterday, met Eireann got it wrong. Some people here were much closer to the mark.[/QUOTE
    But EB - It Can Still Happen xxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Aye but don't despair,that was a Holding Forecast if ever I saw one :)

hope so, that forecast broke my heart, i was waiting for Evelyn to do the forecast as well. Jean pffft

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

had a nice wee snow shower here in Dunshaughlin about 6.45 earlier, lasted for 10 minutes nice fluffy flakes, didn't stick but still very unexpected and nice to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Gonzo wrote: »
    had a nice wee snow shower here in Dunshaughlin about 6.45 earlier, lasted for 10 minutes nice fluffy flakes, didn't stick but still very unexpected and nice to see!

Ninja snow is great, even if it's just a flurry. The shaolin monks descended on Dublin yesterday. I wasn't even mad :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Dew/Temp both 1 and it rained. Marginal. More hopeful of seeing snow tomorrow evening evening/night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Wont someone please think of the wet bulb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Quick question. What chart gives us the 850 hPa level? Is it the thickness charts? Thanks in advance.

The 850 hPa geopotential charts give the height of that level above sea level. I like the www.wetter3.de ones

00_3.gif

The 850-1000 thickness is next (looking for sub-1290 m) and the 700-1000 hPa (looking for sub-2820 m). The 500-1000 thickness is the least valuable of the 3 and is only useful for a first approximation of snow potential (sub 522 dm in Ireland).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The M8-N75 Junction outside Thurles. Within a few minutes the M8 was white going northbound. Died out at Urlingford.

10426240_719072341540221_520145385923093745_n.jpg?oh=68292a8cb570e797e28bf8465c64f38c&oe=5568A504&__gda__=1432699705_c7a66c5800613cb178176b312665cf8c

This was at 11pm this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭lolie

Can anyone in Mayo tell is there much snow on Croagh Patrick these days??
    My sister and a few of her friends are in Westport for the weekend and are planning on climbing it today Saturday.
    Surely after this weeks weather there must be a foot or two on top of it.
    Also I see met eireann have gale warning for coastal areas so it might not be the smartest of ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Well, in the interest of a democratic poll, your question implies that anyone who doesn't like your post, disagrees with your point.

80 users online, 10 likes so far...........:o

Can you agree but not like the post? Maybe some will not want to jinx things, as soon as we get cocky the moisture will disappear or the uppers will warm up.

Thank me if you feel humble and just want it to snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,128 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I have found this post in the LOLercoaster thread, and I felt it perfectly described the current atmosphere of the thread.
    endacl wrote: »
    555360_549103141776469_1112320167_n.jpg?oh=df20eae801d40b48120f31ef863f4731&oe=5554B191&__gda__=1432159768_40a896b07c52e32487b26b6e5036d6b6

• Registered Users Posts: 4 samiboy

You wouldn't be long getting frost bit

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Still on track more or less for early next week. An easterly can not be ruled out later though yet which would continue the very cold period well beyond Friday if it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

we are a small country with a huge death rate from road accidents farm accidents etc,our whole infrastructure is completely different to new York as is our weather. They can give out alerts warnings what ever they like it may just save someone from undue hardship or even death. :o so nothing pathetic about these services to me.cheers

Well said; thank you. Of course it depends on your motive for coming here! For thrill seekers, God love them, of course everything less than the entire country being buried in SNOW is a let down.. I always wish they would volunteer to dig us lesser mortals out! I am deeply grateful for any warnings and advice. Living my chosen lifestyle way up here and alone and being a very independent soul I was glad to see that one day of peace between gales early in the week so was able to get eg coal and food in and can now sit and enjoy whatever comes. I see the weather board as a wide ranging and enjoyable service to everyone.I would hate to have to get anyone out to help with supplies as we are all in this together. Information is power and there was nothing hyped as far a I can see.. but that depends on your reading skills and whether you take time to really read! Bad weather IS dangerous. That of course is the appeal to many... well come up here and cut wood or go for groceries by all means! I make a good cup of tea!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

With the ECM Monday night's event becomes a question of how much snow at this stage. The trough is well defined. Temperatures and air mass are perfect.

ECM0-72.GIF?31-12

ECM1-72.GIF?31-12

Snowchaser wrote: »
    Anyone know if there is still snow up the Dublin Mountains? Mad to build a snow man

You go man! ENJOY!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

With the ECM Monday night's event becomes a question of how much snow at this stage. The trough is well defined. Temperatures and air mass are perfect.

ECM0-72.GIF?31-12

ECM1-72.GIF?31-12

yes would agree
    What about sun night though does the low system not move over us rather than slide to our southwest??
    Difficult to judge

we are a small country with a huge death rate from road accidents farm accidents etc,our whole infrastructure is completely different to new York as is our weather. They can give out alerts warnings what ever they like it may just save someone from undue hardship or even death. :o so nothing pathetic about these services to me.cheers

Amen to this....I am deeply grateful for all the warnings. Incidentally before this last bad spell when I said I was planning out to shop etc, Kermit assured me NO NEED TO PANIC. As I explained, I am way up unmetalled lanes and with age and disability always stock well in advance. The alert are a deeply valued resource ... what is the old saying? Hope for the best but prepare for the worst... Trouble here is that some think the worst is no deep snow and the best is to be buried in it!

• Advertisement

samiboy wrote: »
    You wouldn't be long getting frost bit

Never a truer word... am abed and still hands are numb with cold

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement