Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Epic snow at knock!!

I can see the cloud hanging out over there - while you got snow we got a whiteout with hail.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

Was just out for a run and half way round it began to rain and then turned to snow in waterford city, about 18.15

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

12Z ECM shows Monday's low just barely grazing the far southwest coast. Looks like no snow potential from that unless it shifts east. Showers in the north.

150130_1200_72.png

Tuesday looking a bit better.

150130_1200_90.png

Still a few days to go so changes are possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

Negative DPs in a number of spots at the moment. May explain the various reports of snow this evening.

pointrosee_uk_brf9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

If Monday's low does hit right it could be a snowfest for some. It'll be an interesting one to watch either way.

15020206_3012.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Very very light sleet here in Clare. I guarantee if I was 500m to the west I would have snow. It's like I have an invisable snow barrier around my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

hopfully the east coast will get a good snow fall mon/tue and a few streamers off the irish sea could produce some good snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

Thickness chart for early Tuesday morning looks good as well on the 12Z run.

90-526UK_olr4.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

uksnowrisk.png

Looks like a nice bit of snow on Monday Night!

uksnowrisk.png

High snow risk all down the east coast and midlands (Away from sea level)
    Doesn't this look like a rainbow?

These snow risk charts sure are promising!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

RED L4 0TH wrote: »
    Negative DPs in a number of spots at the moment. May explain the various reports of snow this evening.

pointrosee_uk_brf9.png

That would explain rain turning to snow in Waterford City earlier. Currently we have a temp of 2.7c DP 0.0c but no showers on the radar heading in this direction.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Carnacalla wrote: »
    uksnowrisk.png

Looks like a nice bit of snow on Monday Night!

uksnowrisk.png

High snow risk all down the east coast and midlands (Away from sea level)
    Doesn't this look like a rainbow?

These snow risk charts sure are promising!

Promising yes, false promises. They should be banned in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭vizualpics

For all the newbies or not so newbies, this is a good post to brush up on your forecasting skills, posted by Su Campu back in 2011. Worth a read! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056447334

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

Jean mentions some wintery showers for Monday/Tuesday. Anything outside 48/60 hours with a pinch of salt currently ;)

I like Jean she ...... I like Jean . Gerry must be on a break after his rough week. Bet it's Evelyn all weekend - oh the misery berries postmen and bunnies are all traitors to their species.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Evelyn is missing for weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Evelyn is missing for weeks

She has been seeding clouds with snow sprinkles

I hope Evelyn is on for the weekend. Id say she loves the cold as much as us.

Could be a good omen if she is on....:D

Ah Hah hah ! just saw this !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

:(:(:(:( that's not a good forecast at all. well for cork mostly

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭vizualpics

Ground white here in Castlebar with Graupel/ice pellets/hail (not sure what the difference is between all 3?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

I think the next 24 hours brings a good chance of the type of thing we're seeing at the moment - showers giving some more (wet) snow at low levels, apart from during the middle of tomorrow - with activity retreating to shallow convection along Atlantic coasts tomorrow night as upper heights and temperatures rise from the west. There will be a good supply of cold air with less low-level modification in the stiff northerly, but this flow slows down into Sunday, leading to a good 24 hours of stagnation of low levels before any system arrives on Monday. This means that if any precipitation does arrive on Monday - which is looking less likely - it will be falling through well-modified low levels (eg. +3 °C 975 hPa at around 200-250 m amsl), so it would more likely mean only snow for very high ground in the southwest.

Tuesday is the money shot for me. That low looks like moving down from Iceland, dragging some very cold air behind it, with minimal modification. This time the GFS is showing 975 hPa level a good 3 or 4 degrees colder than Monday, and very dynamic lift will mean a much better prospect of a good snow event for many. Still a lot of things to fall into place though.

ecm0125_nat_msl_t850_6urk_2015013012_090.jpg

• Advertisement

Jeans forecast was a joke and very inaccurate.

1 she said showers be of snow mainly at night by day rain sleet.

No Jean all charts support snow to all levels

2 she said it will be cold

No Jean it will be bitterly cold with a biting northerly wind adding significant wind chill

3 she said staying cold into next week with patchy rain n sleet with snow on high ground

Again no Jean next week will be bitter with ice days and risk of widespread snow on Tuesday

If you agree please like my post

FWVT For We Very Thrilled

always by your words thanks

Jeans forecast was a joke and very inaccurate.

1 she said showers be of snow mainly at night by day rain sleet.

No Jean all charts support snow to all levels

2 she said it will be cold

No Jean it will be bitterly cold with a biting northerly wind adding significant wind chill

3 she said staying cold into next week with patchy rain n sleet with snow on high ground

Again no Jean next week will be bitter with ice days and risk of widespread snow on Tuesday

If you agree please like my post

But it's Met E and it's early to be committing, (I still like Jean)

NMB wrote: »
    But it's Met E and it's early to be committing, (I still like Jean)
    2-3 days away with every chart showing -8 uppers.
    Are they waiting for a state guarantee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    :(:(:(:( that's not a good forecast at all. well for cork mostly
    Aye but don't despair,that was a Holding Forecast if ever I saw one :)

You can bank on that

18 shows temps maxing at 2/3 degrees for the next 7 days.
    This is an exceptional cold spell in the offing

Perhaps disappointment over lack of snow this week has people dispondent not sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

But the 850 hPa level is rising all the time from tomorrow, by about 250 m higher than today. 850 hPa temperature alone is only one factor of a lot to look at.

FWVT wrote: »
    But the 850 hPa level is rising all the time from tomorrow, by about 250 m higher than today. 850 hPa temperature alone is only one factor of a lot to look at.

Hell of a lot of nice things to look at though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Aye but don't despair,that was a Holding Forecast if ever I saw one :)

Definitely. "And there'll be showers on Tuesday"

I swear I heard her mutter "showers of some description ;-)" under her breath!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement