Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2015 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Hi, newbie here... Looking for advice... My partner did a pregnancy test 4 weeks ago with came back positive (we actually took 4 tests each one positive) we seen her GP who did bloods etc and we handed them into the hospital with a urine sample, he told us she's due July 11th and wanted to see her every four weeks. Basically that has been it, no more contact with anyone and no contact from the hospital, we haven't even got the results of the urine so the only thing that has informed us she's definitely pregnant is the pregnancy test. What now? Do we just wait to hear back for scans appointments etc or do we ring them ourselves? We're both 27 and have told nobody about this yet as she wants to wait the 12 weeks before breaking the news.

Sorry for any spellchecks, writing off a new phone and still getting the hang of it.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Have you contacted the hospital? Usually you need to do this yourselves, sometimes the GP will fax a letter to them but you still might need to ring. What did the GP advise?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

You need to contact the hospital yourself. Pick a hospital, go onto their website, print off the form, fill it out and post it off. They'll be back in touch with an appointment for booking in and usually a scan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

^Depends on the hospital, there's not always a form. I had to ring mine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Thanks for the replys.

The doctor never recommended anything to us, just that he'll see her every week weeks up till 6 months I think then every 2 weeks until 8 months and every week there after (I think)

I said to him after he told us we could go (he was brilliant otherwise) that all we had to go on she was pregnant so far was the test, like it isn't confirmed off a doctor, & he replied that he has the urine sample & would be in touch if there was any problems but that usually urine samples are only taken to see if there's major problems like HIV & I think rubela & one or two more things.

Basically we both thought that either the doctor or hospital would've been in touch by now but as we're keeping this a secret for the moment we are both totally clueless as to the next step & what we should be preparing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

A positive test is all anyone has to 'confirm' pregnancy until the first scan, which is generally around the 12 week mark. Most women opt for what's known as combined care which means pre natal appointments are split between your GP and the hospital. It sounds like that's what the doctor was explaining to you. There was obviously some crossed wires with your doctor but you need to now contact the hospital your partner wants to give birth in and find out how to register with them.

I had my baby in the coombe and as detailed above I sent off the form available on their website and they got back to me quite quickly with a first appointment letter. As Dolbert said, she needed to ring hers.

Either way your partner needs to contact the hospital, they're not going to contact her

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Duberlin Chick

And it was all going so well! I got a whiff of Thai food at breakfast in the hotel the other day and I can't be near anything like it since. Unfortunate given where I am in the world. So nauseous!!

Hope you guys are all getting on ok and it's good getting tips off everyone to help ward away the sickness.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Wholeheartedly

Still so sick. Eating has become such an ordeal! Off lettuce, eggs and any meat or fish. The mere thought of eggs makes me queasy! Ugh.

Just over the six week mark so hopefully half way to feeling normal. Fingers crossed. A relative kindly told me yesterday that on her first baby that she didn't stop vomiting until 10 hours after the baby was born. 40 weeks and 10 hours of solid vomiting! :(:( I nearly started crying!

Haven't even had the heart to post, I am have been feeling so crap. Hope everyone else is doing a bit better**

And it was all going so well! I got a whiff of Thai food at breakfast in the hotel the other day and I can't be near anything like it since. Unfortunate given where I am in the world. So nauseous!!

Hope you guys are all getting on ok and it's good getting tips off everyone to help ward away the sickness.

I feel your pain being away, I just got home and was so much better off just by being home and relaxed in our own space. The food away makes it even more difficult. I just didn't want anything "different" or "new".

Went to a Japanese restaurant last night with friends for sushi, just veggie of course! Couldn't eat the starter or main course I ordered. Ordered another main course hoping I would fair better. Oh no, couldn't eat that either. :( Ended up eating a small bowl of miso soup and about 30 cashew nuts for my whole dinner!

Hope it isn't too hard for you and you are home soon! Xx

Still so sick. Eating has become such an ordeal! Off lettuce, eggs and any meat or fish. The mere thought of eggs makes me queasy! Ugh.

Just over the six week mark so hopefully half way to feeling normal. Fingers crossed. A relative kindly told me yesterday that on her first baby that she didn't stop vomiting until 10 hours after the baby was born. 40 weeks and 10 hours of solid vomiting! :(:( I nearly started crying!

Haven't even had the heart to post, I am have been feeling so crap. Hope everyone else is doing a bit better**

Lettuce?? Oh god you poor thing! I cannot even entertain the thought of being sick for 40 weeks so I'm trying to laugh it off as an impossibility!!! Not sure that's an effective method of avoidance!

Chin up everyone! Most of us wished for this madness! :o Oh sweet lord help us!!!

• Advertisement

I feel your pain being away, I just got home and was so much better off just by being home and relaxed in our own space. The food away makes it even more difficult. I just didn't want anything "different" or "new".

Went to a Japanese restaurant last night with friends for sushi, just veggie of course! Couldn't eat the starter or main course I ordered. Ordered another main course hoping I would fair better. Oh no, couldn't eat that either. :( Ended up eating a small bowl of miso soup and about 30 cashew nuts for my whole dinner!

Hope it isn't too hard for you and you are home soon! Xx

I'm gonna turn into a cashew nut I think. I'm just snacking on them by the pool as I've an Awful taste in my mouth for some reason. Dreading picking restaurant for dinner later. My poor OH!!!

Very brave going to a Japanese restaurant. Fair play to you xx

• Registered Users Posts: 15 cork044

I am sooooo so so nauseous ALL the time. Its terrible. I cant put anything in my mouth and i start gagging. Im just gone 7 weeks. Id settle for a few hours of feeling someway normal a day. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I'm gonna turn into a cashew nut I think. I'm just snacking on them by the pool as I've an Awful taste in my mouth for some reason.

Thats a common symptom fyi, sometimes a metallic taste or for me for a few weeks it constantly felt like I hadn't washed my teeth!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

My nausea has eased off the last day or two. This has happened a couple of times and just when I get worried it comes back with a bang. I've had the rotten taste in my mouth for weeks now. Unfortunately during my last pregnancy it lasted for ages. Think it only stopped when the sickness/nausea fully went away so about 18/19 weeks. For me it's not a metallic taste more like I haven't brushed my teeth or something. And the funny thing is I've been brushing my teeth even more than normal to try and get rid of it!

Went to a party last night. I was home and in bed by 12 and had a bit of a lie in this morning and I still felt hungover even without drinking!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭greenorchard

I could have written most of this post! I've had an awful week, have been feeling miserable. And eating really is an ordeal now! The thought of most foods makes me queasy but I still have to force myself to eat constantly or the nausea gets unbearable. I'm sick of the sight of food.

I bought those seasickness bands, they do seem to have taken the edge off slightly. I started wearing them on Friday and haven't vomited since. The nausea is still there but I'm not spending my mornings with my head down the toilet.

The only thing getting me through this is telling myself I'm going to be one of the lucky ones whose nausea only lasts a couple of weeks so I'll be fine in another week or two. I'm not even entertaining the thought of being one of those people who have it well beyond 12 weeks. Lalalalala, not gonna happen me!

Had a bit of a scary moment early in the week too with some bad cramping followed by spotting. Went into the Coombe & they did an ultrasound & everything looked normal which was a huge relief. I'm still getting spotting on and off but not letting it worry me as it's just been brown & never bright red.

The only thing getting me through this is telling myself I'm going to be one of the lucky ones whose nausea only lasts a couple of weeks so I'll be fine in another week or two. I'm not even entertaining the thought of being one of those people who have it well beyond 12 weeks. Lalalalala, not gonna happen me!.

The power of positive thinking! I will start this line of thinking too! Just a few more weeks, not months, definitely not months!! I know it can be difficult but I find the days I keep active & sort of busy are much easier. Maybe it just helps me forget about it. I have no idea but am just so much happier when it eases up! My OH joked this morning that if I start keep walking for the next six weeks I should be right as rain. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Drdoc

Sorry you're all feeling so rotten girls. I'm right there with you. Can't stand the sight of meat, fish, fruit, vegetables leaving only white carbs as an option and even then it's not enjoyable. Last pregnancy it lasted through til about 14 weeks, I can't handle the thought this time that it might last that long.
    I have an early scan this week so am looking forward to that at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Us July mamas are sick sick sick! Just to add insult to injury, my son's vomiting bug caught up with me last Friday. I initially though it was a really bad day of morning sickness but I was vomiting for 18 hours :( I was really worried about getting dehydrated so I rang the out of hours doctor and spoke to one of the nurses. Worst case scenario was being brought into hospital and being put on a drip. Thankfully it didn't come to that and I'm back to my normal nausea ugh! I haven't had a proper dinner since last week and I've actually lost weight instead of putting it on.

Best of luck with your early scan Drdoc.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

Hope the morning sickness eases up soon! Real nightmare for the time of year that is in it! How are you managing the Christmas lunches, dinners, drinks? When I read this, I definitely consider myself lucky to have avoided the worst of it!

I had my second scan today! Exciting - could see the heartbeat. Such a relief. The first was last week in A&E so was a bit of a panic, but today was in the EPU, so was more relaxing and we got to ask loads of questions. Delighted everything is going well, but the spotting is still there. She tried to reassure me by saying that 50% of spotting cases DON'T end in miscarriage. Would have rathered not hear that. Was also told I can't fly for another 4 weeks, which is crap as I was supposed to be visiting a friend and her month old baby next weekend. Also have to keep away from exercise and himself til it's all calmed down for at least a fortnight! Small sacrifices for long term gain I know, but right now Christmas (i.e. 12 weeks pregnant) seems forever away!!

Really want to start telling people next weekend and that was our plan after the 8 week scan, but now feel kinda guilty as the few people we have told are now on this anxious journey with us! If I go a day or two without updating them, they're onto my husband to make sure everything is OK! Another 4 weeks just feels like so long away though... And so much rushing and fussing and non drinking to get through in the meantime, even though I'm being ordered to "take it easy". How are those of you with kids and hectic Christmas schedules managing the "taking it easy" thing?? Especially without other people suspecting. I slept for 12 hours on Saturday night (despite the 6 or so trips to the loo) which was amazing. Felt like a new woman Sunday! But I can't be doing that every day, or even every weekend unfortunately!

kkcatlou wrote: »
    Hope the morning sickness eases up soon! Real nightmare for the time of year that is in it! How are you managing the Christmas lunches, dinners, drinks? When I read this, I definitely consider myself lucky to have avoided the worst of it!

I had my second scan today! Exciting - could see the heartbeat. Such a relief.

Really want to start telling people next weekend and that was our plan after the 8 week scan.

How are those of you with kids and hectic Christmas schedules managing the "taking it easy" thing?? Especially without other people suspecting. I slept for 12 hours on Saturday night (despite the 6 or so trips to the loo) which was amazing. Felt like a new woman Sunday! But I can't be doing that every day, or even every weekend unfortunately!

Ahh. So lovely that you had another nice scan. I have one for the 15th of Dec. Very excited. It will make it all feel real and it just still feels surreal that something in my tummy has a beating heart.

The spotting must be really worrying. :( haven't had any myself, but even so I still find myself checking all the time. I keep getting cramps, that feel just like period cramps and I am half convinced I must be getting it. Although with the insane level of nausea I have, I am trusting I am definitely still pregnant. Got up this morning for a pee and half way through peeing I just had to throw up, so suddenly I was violently throwing up into the bath while I was sitting on the loo. :(:(:(

I thought my body was trying to get rid of some of my internal organs the retching was so strong. Ended with me just crying into the bath.

Sorry if this is too much info. Just need to get it off my chest.

We have told one friend each and some close family. Disappointingly all but two had already guessed, based on the fact I was so sick and we cut our trip away short. It's not so exciting when you tell someone and they say 'oh sure we knew that'. His mum said Ah I have known for weeks (claims to be a bit physic ;)..) so I said 'that's amazing, we have barely known for weeks!' haha.

It's interesting how people already seem to think it is fine to tell you what to do, what to eat, etc etc... Especially people who have never been pregnant!! In the space of 20 minutes I got told I can no longer eat any mayo at all, not even shop bought (rubbish), can't use any essential oils, not even a few drops in a bath, etc (more rubbish) and definitely not eat peanut butter, as I will have a child with an allergy to peanuts if I do. (triple rubbish) ;) I was fine, I think I was prepared for people giving you their unwanted opinion but my OH was going mad. It was his sister so left them to it. Family fun!

I keep thinking about the mums-to-be with little ones already. Heroes! I can hardly even keep myself together, never mind anyone else.

• Advertisement

I spoke too soon when I said my vomiting had eased off. I spent all day yesterday being violently ill :-( I couldn't even keep a little bit of water down, everything came back up and I spent the day in work running to the toilet to be sick.

Went to the doctor this morning and she told me to take the rest of the week off and rest as much as possible. I've a lot on in work though so I feel really guilty about taking so much time off, but I'll definitely take tomorrow and then see how I feel on Thursday.

I never in a million years thought I'd be this sick, it's horrible.

God girls. I haven't been physically sick yet although I've come close a few times. I really feel for you guys :/

Is anyone else really uncomfortable in bed already?!?! My boobs are killing me and I usually sleep on my stomach but it gives me a weird sensation. Tossing and turning all night! Feckin exhausted!!!

Is anyone else really uncomfortable in bed already?!?! My boobs are killing me and I usually sleep on my stomach but it gives me a weird sensation. Tossing and turning all night! Feckin exhausted!!!

Yep, I'm the same. I sleep on my stomach a lot & I'm finding it really uncomfortable now with the sore boobs.

How's everyone getting on? At the risk of jinxing it, I'm feeling a good bit better than I was during the week, hoping & wishing it lasts. Hopefully I can start to enjoy the build up to Christmas as this is usually my favourite time of year.

Also have my early scan booked for Thursday so I'm looking forward to that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

First day wearing a maternity bra today...boobs seem to have grown overnight and I can't cope with the underwire anymore :rolleyes:

Nead21 wrote: »
    First day wearing a maternity bra today...boobs seem to have grown overnight and I can't cope with the underwire anymore :rolleyes:

Snap! Well I got three last Thursday, my boobs have been killing me since week one, no joke. The lady who fitted me said ill fitting underwired bras can interfere with the development of your milk ducts! Yikes. But even with none of that, I needed them so bad. They are still uncomfortable but not as bad at all. And I have no idea what is going on with my tummy! I have a bump, which is clearly not baby at only 7 weeks, but more like constant bloat? I can't possibly have put on weight. I have been eating less than usual due to all the sickness. Have a scan next Monday, couldn't come sooner, I haven't gotten excited at all yet, due to how sick I have been I think, hard to stay positive, when I feel so down. So I am really hoping the scan will confirm all is well and remind me what is happening in there aside from all the sickness! Fingers crossed..

I spoke too soon when I said my vomiting had eased off. I spent all day yesterday being violently ill :-( I couldn't even keep a little bit of water down, everything came back up and I spent the day in work running to the toilet to be sick.

Went to the doctor this morning and she told me to take the rest of the week off and rest as much as possible. I've a lot on in work though so I feel really guilty about taking so much time off, but I'll definitely take tomorrow and then see how I feel on Thursday.

I never in a million years thought I'd be this sick, it's horrible.

You poor thing. This sounds the absolute worst. I feel very lucky to be on scheduled time off at the moment, I really don't think I could work through this. Even without the sickness I have such low energy at the moment. I feel useless!

Hope things are a bit better for you by now.

***Pick up the slack. If you think you're tired at the end of the day, think about this: Your pregnant partner expends more energy lying down now that she's building a baby's body than yours does when you're, well, body building. Which makes her a lot more tired than you've ever known her to be.***

This came to my email via 'what to expect when you are expecting' for dads to be. Some of you may have already seen it but I actually found it helpful and showed himself too, although he is like my full time Butler at the moment. Amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 maidonamission

Hi everyone,
    I'm new to this thread, am 7 weeks today, due 27/7 and, after reading about what you're all going through with morning sickness I'm feeling very lucky - have definitely been nauseous but am keeping it under control (so far, at least) by just eating small amounts regularly. Can't say the same for the exhaustion though - the only way I got through work last week was by taking Wednesday off and my god I needed it - can't wait for the Christmas break! Also, was happy to get through my first Christmas party on Saturday without anyone sussing I wasn't really drinking (had a few sips of wine) - it was a meal so was worried it would be obvious (I'm normally a BIG wine fan!) but I don't think anyone noticed - I think the trick is not to say you're not drinking and not draw attention to it. Have my big xmas party this Fri and think I'm going to skip the meal part (won't be able to eat most of the starters anyway-pate etc.) and just go to the dancing, thankfully v+t is my usual so soda+lime won't look out of place!

One thing I wanted to ask you guys - has anyone been feeling pressure in their lower abdomen? The best way I can describe it is it feels like someone is pushing a thumb (gently) into my left lower side near my hip. Haven't had any pain/spotting or anything so am pretty sure it's fine, just wondering if anyone's had anything similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

One thing I wanted to ask you guys - has anyone been feeling pressure in their lower abdomen? The best way I can describe it is it feels like someone is pushing a thumb (gently) into my left lower side near my hip. Haven't had any pain/spotting or anything so am pretty sure it's fine, just wondering if anyone's had anything similar?

Just saw your post - am in the due May 2015 thread myself. I had the most horrible pulling stretching crampy pressure feelings between week 5 and week 10. One day the pain in my lower back was so bad I was 100% convinced I was miscarrying but all normal apparently! 19 weeks along now and all healthy, consultant said its a combination of ligaments starting to stretch and placenta developing so try not to worry too much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 maidonamission

Just saw your post - am in the due May 2015 thread myself. I had the most horrible pulling stretching crampy pressure feelings between week 5 and week 10. One day the pain in my lower back was so bad I was 100% convinced I was miscarrying but all normal apparently! 19 weeks along now and all healthy, consultant said its a combination of ligaments starting to stretch and placenta developing so try not to worry too much

Thanks angeldelight, was reading in my what to expect book about round ligament pain and it sounded exactly like that except that it is way too early for the time frame they were giving but the more I'm reading boards I'm getting the idea that every pregnancy is different! It gets worse when I've been sitting in an uncomfy chair for any length of time so that def made me think it was more ligament/muscular related than anything to worry about - 1st pregnancy though so every little twinge sets off a new bout of 'oh god, what was THAT about??' ;)

Advertisement