Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fall (RTE1/BBC2) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

Yes dan solo, in actual fact it seems he is upset with the p*ss poor efforts of the PSNI performance, especially gibson, regarding lezzing up in public, the cops have enough to deal with in the papers with the fact that gibson is staying in a 5 star hotel on the taxpayers whilst a murderer is still on the loose, they could do without tabloid fodder showing her lezzing up with a professor who is linked to the husband of the missing woman (the cops fault she is missing also)
    The show seems hell bent on bringing lesbianism into the show with the other female cop telling gibson she was a lezzer, whats the point of this? it also seems gibson has rode all round her and would even lez out, again whats the point??? why are they portraying the deputy chief constable as a wino, sex mad bag of sh*te who tips off his mates who are about to be arrested?

Last season the show concentrated on spector and his double life family man/ killer, this year its just all over the place

tickle as you say "have you never been driving somewhere and see a checkpoint or an accident blocking the road and just turn around and go another way? "

Are you seriously taking the p*ss??? i've seen it happen and the cops would be on top of you before you could change gear

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I do wonder if his father being British Army has any relevance to anything? He clearly doesn't like women much anyway but Stella being English must really grind his gears.
    That was my take too, his mother was on the other side of the NI fence I think so probably something will be made of his history to "explain" his evil streak?

jezzer wrote: »
    Last season the show concentrated on spector and his double life family man/ killer, this year its just all over the place
    Isn't Cubitt directing it himself this season as well as writing? That doesn't explain it really, as it's the writing that has suffered from what I see.

yes good point on his father being in the army, i'm sure it will form part of why he is doing these horrible things, i think you are right, he knows he will be caught and is hell bent on creating more devastation before he is caught, obviously his reference to slow suicide means he will kill himself before going to prison

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Isn't Cubitt directing it himself this season as well as writing? That doesn't explain it really, as it's the writing that has suffered from what I see.

yes the directing is still ok, the show is pretty well made just the writing is deplorable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Why would Gibson "lezzing it up" be unprofessional?

Because she's already been in hot water having slept with Olsen.

I should imagine engaging in sex with anyone involved in the case/investigation be they male or female would be out of bounds had she learned her lesson from her previous mistake.

That scene had me rolling my eyes very hard.

I'm still enjoying it though and will watch it to the end.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Because she's already been in hot water having slept with Olsen.

I should imagine engaging in sex with anyone involved in the case/investigation be they male or female would be out of bounds had she learned her lesson from her previous mistake.

That scene had me rolling my eyes very hard.

I'm still enjoying it though and will watch it to the end.

I have to agree I thought that scene was unnecessary. I know they're trying to make Gibson out to be a modern woman who doesn't feel the need to live up to any ridiculous preconceptions of what a female police officer should be but I thought they'd already made that abundantly clear. To me that scene read like it was written by a 14 year old perv or one of these slash fan fiction writers. It had no relevance really to anything. I did think Gibson kissing her to put yer man off and then pretending she thought he was the waiter was hilarious but beyond that it was unnecessary.

a professor who is linked to the husband of the missing woman
    I'm still missing the relevance of this affair to the whole story. In fact, now I think of it, the whole Munro family stuff seems pretty irrelevant. If they're tied up in any believable fashion Cubitt will have earned his paycheque.

yes, there just seems to be this want by the writer to involve lesbienism and needless sexual instances which have no place or relevance

• Registered Users Posts: 22,586 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

there just seems to be this want by the writer to involve lesbienism

One brief kiss in 8 episodes = "a want by the writer to involve lesbienism"? Ok. There's no reason to suggest that the kiss was anything more than a minor scene designed to introduce a bit of light relief. On the contrary, your repeated references to "lezzing it up", whatever that actually means, indicate that you're too immature to handle such a scene without making a big deal out of it.

• Advertisement

One brief kiss in 8 episodes = "a want by the writer to involve lesbienism"? Ok. There's no reason to suggest that the kiss was anything more than a minor scene designed to introduce a bit of light relief. On the contrary, your repeated references to "lezzing it up", whatever that actually means, indicate that you're too immature to handle such a scene without making a big deal out of it.

While I agree that referring to it as "lezzing it up" is immature and ridiculous it was more than one scene of light relief. Gibson kissing her to put the other guy off was light relief. Them heading off to the elevator to go back to Gibson's room was more. Personally I have no problem with a character being gay or sleeping with anyone who offers, don't care, but this particular scene felt very strange and unnecessary. It felt like "hey, let's make her a lesbian too, she's a modern woman, that's what modern women do, right?"

Can somebody clear something up for me from Season 1? When Peter has his little roll on the floor with Katy, at the end does she not say "you can kiss it better for me". I had assumed he had sex with her there (off screen) but it turns out that not only was there no three month affair, there was no affair at all?

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Can somebody clear something up for me from Season 1? When Peter has his little roll on the floor with Katy, at the end does she not say "you can kiss it better for me". I had assumed he had sex with her there (off screen) but it turns out that not only was there no three month affair, there was no affair at all?

There was no affair. Paul (or Peter if you like) needed his wife to lie to the police about where he was the night of one of the murders. He obviously couldn't tell her the real reason so he told her he'd been having an affair. Katie being underage would mean he'd be arrested if he told the police "the truth" so he convinced Sally to lie to the police for him. She fully believed him though and he manipulated Katie enough that she thinks there is something between them too.

There was no affair. Paul (or Peter if you like) needed his wife to lie to the police about where he was the night of one of the murders. He obviously couldn't tell her the real reason so he told her he'd been having an affair. Katie being underage would mean he'd be arrested if he told the police "the truth" so he convinced Sally to lie to the police for him. She fully believed him though and he manipulated Katie enough that she thinks there is something between them too.
    I knew there wasn't really any 3 month affair, it's just I had assumed at that scene they'd ended up doing it. I remember the episode just ended when Katy said "why don't you kiss it better" to Peter. Maybe the idea was that we wouldn't know what happened to leave it open.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

The references to Stella "lezzing" it up are hilarious. It's perfectly believable that she could be bisexual. It's perhaps the least unbelievable of some of this week's scenes.

I think Paul is setting up Katie so that when they close in on him he'll take her down too.

I still find the show engaging even when it's unbelievable. Gillian Anderson is brilliant and is definitely carrying the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Which episode are you guys on I'm on season 2 ep 2 on the iplayer no lesbian kiss.:confused:

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Which episode are you guys on I'm on season 2 ep 2 on the iplayer no lesbian kiss.:confused:
    Ep 3 was just on RTE on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Episode 3 RTE showed it on Sunday, you must be a Thursday viewer when they show it on BBC 2.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I hope he starts killing some more people, season 1 was more interesting for that, I presume somehow he will be picking up a few fresh victims but he will probably have to move on to an area a few neighbourhoods away from the recent murders as a lot of it is under surveillance.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

That episode was all over the shop.

What did she say before she left Stella at the lift. 'I'm sorry I was brought up in Croydon', what's that got to do with anything. That whole episode didn't feel like it fit right, the other woman coming to the bar to apologise. Then Jim who has been a desperate mess from word go, how he got to where he is I don't know. And Katie taking selfies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Folks Just started watching the fall season 2 and really enjoying it, however never watched season 1.

Question is there any point is getting season 1 and starting at the startn, given I know most of the outcome?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Yes!

bazermc wrote: »
    Folks Just started watching the fall season 2 and really enjoying it, however never watched season 1.

Question is there any point is getting season 1 and starting at the startn, given I know most of the outcome?
    Definitely.
    Though TBH I'm not sure I would've even stuck with it if I hadn't seen season 1...

While I agree that referring to it as "lezzing it up" is immature and ridiculous it was more than one scene of light relief. Gibson kissing her to put the other guy off was light relief. Them heading off to the elevator to go back to Gibson's room was more. Personally I have no problem with a character being gay or sleeping with anyone who offers, don't care, but this particular scene felt very strange and unnecessary. It felt like "hey, let's make her a lesbian too, she's a modern woman, that's what modern women do, right?"

Plus there was the reference to the uniformed cop helping gibson who said she was a lezzer when gibson asked if she had a boyfriend...i just think the constant references to lesbiens is pointless and unneeded for the show, it tires to make out that most women are lesbians and as far as i am aware that is not the case, the instance with gibson and the indian professor was just ridiculous, i'm not a woman but as far as i can say straigh women do not meet each other for a drink and decide to lez off, it just doesnt happen and as part of the series is very stupid to be introducing it, unless of course they are going to try and bring in the fact that gibson is sex mad, something that spector clearly has an issue with these types of women and thats why he goes after her, but again that would just be stupid

That episode was all over the shop.

What did she say before she left Stella at the lift. 'I'm sorry I was brought up in Croydon', what's that got to do with anything. That whole episode didn't feel like it fit right, the other woman coming to the bar to apologise. Then Jim who has been a desperate mess from word go, how he got to where he is I don't know. And Katie taking selfies.

Yes i completely agree, the croyden thing was bizarre, plus it was like something out of a soap opera when jim coincidentally knocked on the door
    as you say they whole episode didnt fit, it was like they were trying to kill an hour, to the guy who only watched the second series, there is no way i would be watching this crap unless i watched the first series, i only want to find out what happens to spector

Plus there was the reference to the uniformed cop helping gibson who said she was a lezzer when gibson asked if she had a boyfriend...i just think the constant references to lesbiens is pointless and unneeded for the show, it tires to make out that most women are lesbians and as far as i am aware that is not the case, the instance with gibson and the indian professor was just ridiculous, i'm not a woman but as far as i can say straigh women do not meet each other for a drink and decide to lez off, it just doesnt happen and as part of the series is very stupid to be introducing it, unless of course they are going to try and bring in the fact that gibson is sex mad, something that spector clearly has an issue with these types of women and thats why he goes after her, but again that would just be stupid

What's with all the 'lezzer' 'lezzing it' references do you work for the Irish Daily Star or something? Lesbian or gay woman is fine.

First of all I assume that Gibson is bisexual. Does it further the plot particularly no, does it add to her character profile that sex is a release for her and she likes sleeping with attractive people yes. Her sleeping with Olsen didn't further the plot particularly either but did you object to that, no. You could argue that there is a lot of stuff thrown in that doesn't directly further the plot but good thrillers flesh out the details.

Yes the series has a strong feminist vibe to it and Stella is a very controlled woman with desires who as they say 'can have both' so why shouldn't she? The gay female cop only said she was gay because Stella asked her if she was in a relationship with a man. There aren't many gay/bi characters on our screens so it's a welcome sight in my opinion. I get annoyed when people say 'if they're gay why do they have to go on about it'. There have been several references to straight sex, relationships, scenes in the series and you're bothered by 2 reference points to being gay.

FYI Gillian Anderson is bisexual and proud.

What's with all the 'lezzer' 'lezzing it' references do you work for the Irish Daily Star or something? Lesbian or gay woman is fine.

First of all I assume that Gibson is bisexual. Does it further the plot particularly no, does it add to her character profile that sex is a release for her and she likes sleeping with attractive people yes. Her sleeping with Olsen didn't further the plot particularly either but did you object to that, no. You could argue that there is a lot of stuff thrown in that doesn't directly further the plot but good thrillers flesh out the details.

Yes the series has a strong feminist vibe to it and Stella is a very controlled woman with desires who as they say 'can have both' so why shouldn't she? The gay female cop only said she was gay because Stella asked her if she was in a relationship with a man. There aren't many gay/bi characters on our screens so it's a welcome sight in my opinion. I get annoyed when people say 'if they're gay why do they have to go on about it'. There have been several references to straight sex, relationships, scenes in the series and you're bothered by 2 reference points to being gay.

FYI Gillian Anderson is bisexual and proud.

what has feminism got to do with lesibanism? regarding her sleeping with olsen, i thought it shouldnt have been added in to the show either but i would accept it as a once off, then we find out she was up on jim and then she tries to get up on the indian professor woman, its all a bit too much and to me it tries to portray that women in such a position are rather loose which i dont think is fair, also why does the female cop have to be a lesbian and why does gibson have to be a bi trying to cajole the straight indian professor to lez off with her, aside from all that, it takes away from the main plotline of the show and very needlessly so

what has feminism got to do with lesibanism? regarding her sleeping with olsen, i thought it shouldnt have been added in to the show either but i would accept it as a once off, then we find out she was up on jim and then she tries to get up on the indian professor woman, its all a bit too much and to me it tries to portray that women in such a position are rather loose which i dont think is fair, also why does the female cop have to be a lesbian and why does gibson have to be a bi trying to cajole the straight indian professor to lez off with her, aside from all that, it takes away from the main plotline of the show and very needlessly so

But why not indeed her be a lesbian if it makes no difference at all? I suppose I think of feminism as being more about choice and self empowerment not necessarily pertaining to gay woman. Lots of detectives have their personal 'vices' ways to let off steam alcohol etc., Gibson likes a wild night now and again. That whole scene with the pathologist was a bit odd granted but not necessarily because they kissed. Plenty of shows have all kinds of moments that don't necessarily further plot.

But why not indeed her be a lesbian if it makes no difference at all? I suppose I think of feminism as being more about choice and self empowerment not necessarily pertaining to gay woman. Lots of detectives have their personal 'vices' ways to let off steam alcohol etc., Gibson likes a wild night now and again. That whole scene with the pathologist was a bit odd granted but not necessarily because they kissed. Plenty of shows have all kinds of moments that don't necessarily further plot.

well the part with them kissing, whilst unnecessary, was explained away as getting rid of the lawyer, but there was absolutely no need to take it any further, they included the uniformed cop as a lesbian which was fair enough but why also show gibson as having lesbian tendencies, again a step too far and i dont know why gibson cant just be a woman in a high ranking position without having to be a feminist etc, no need for it, in this day and age i would have imagined in this day and age that wouldnt have to be explained away. Also i'm sure the majority of detectives dont hop up on one another at an alarming rate, in the show this is taking away from the main plotline which this year has fallen flat

• Advertisement

well the part with them kissing, whilst unnecessary, was explained away as getting rid of the lawyer, but there was absolutely no need to take it any further, they included the uniformed cop as a lesbian which was fair enough but why also show gibson as having lesbian tendencies, again a step too far and i dont know why gibson cant just be a woman in a high ranking position without having to be a feminist etc, no need for it, in this day and age i would have imagined in this day and age that wouldnt have to be explained away. Also i'm sure the majority of detectives dont hop up on one another at an alarming rate, in the show this is taking away from the main plotline which this year has fallen flat

No need for her to be a feminist? Surely everyone should be a feminist?

Advertisement