Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fall (RTE1/BBC2) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

sabat wrote: »
    Could we see a kettle in the room? Most 5 star hotels don't have them.

The Merchant Hotel has Tea/Coffee facilities in all it's rooms.

jezzer wrote: »

Good point regarding using cash, but regarding katies alibi, that surely is now cast aside after the cops found her breaking into spectors home, surely they now piece together that spector has her working for him, although i'm not sure why he got her to do the break in and the pic in his bathroom?

Regarding the car turning around, no, she only sent the patrol car after it when she had them run a check on the reg, way to late obviously, seriously any cop worth their salt would be straight after a car which does a u-turn when approaching a crime scene.

I disagree that they have very little to go on, surely they can use voice recognition from the phone calls he made to gibson and the interview he did, also they know he is/was peter who know rose, he has a dubious alibi from katie who was seen breaking into spectors house

I'm pretty sure he sent her to break into his house for 2 reasons. 1 - So the police would phone Gibson and keep her out of her room. 2 - If she was caught she could be written off as an obsessed weirdo and even if she told them anything to incriminate him it could be argued away as her being a bit of a freak.

I'd have to watch it again but I think the patrol car came back to her as she was telling the other officer to check if any cars had been stolen. So it was all happening at once.

I'm not saying they have nothing to go on but all of their evidence so far could be thrown into doubt by a half decent lawyer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Well we don't know that, he hasn't been given the opportunity to play anything other than intense psychotic loners.

True. I am speculating without having seen him in anything else.

Has anyone seen him in that Once Upon a Time series he was in?

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    True. I am speculating without having seen him in anything else.

Has anyone seen him in that Once Upon a Time series he was in?

I saw him in Once Upon A Time. He was alright. The character wasn't given much to do and was only in about 7 episodes before they killed him off. Played a much nicer character, believably, but as I said wasn't given much to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

I saw him in Once Upon A Time. He was alright. The character wasn't given much to do and was only in about 7 episodes before they killed him off. Played a much nicer character, believably, but as I said wasn't given much to do.

He is male model turned actor I believe

• Advertisement

He is male model turned actor I believe

I think he was actually pursuing acting when he was spotted as a model. He did initially have success as a model though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I think he was actually pursuing acting when he was spotted as a model. He did initially have success as a model though.

He's only gawjus so he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Dub.

I'm pretty sure he sent her to break into his house for 2 reasons. 1 - So the police would phone Gibson and keep her out of her room. .

Why would the police phoning Stella keep her away from her room?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,341 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

bazermc wrote: »
    You mean the Wire was real?

Well, no, but it's often praised for its apparent depiction of realism and being partly based on real characters. But enough, I've dug myself into a hole on that one. :pac:

Re not pursuing him as he approached the site they were searching - this isn't a show that relies on the police 'tooling up' or instantaneous forensic bollocks to catch him. How long might have taken for a uniformed officer to to jump into the patrol car and give chase? I don't know. I don't imagine the keys are left in the ignition as a general rule. I think heart of that scene was really what Paul verbalised once he started turning the car - 'fcuk you, Stella', and this is what drove (excuse the pun) the rest of the ep. I agree there's no harm in questioning the apparent lack of reaction, however.

With the hotel, this is a fairly standard tactic of contemporary murder or drama shows. Recent Nordic noir imports such as The Killing, The Bridge all have elements that are perhaps a bit OTT in some regard, and that's not unusual. It falls into the he's right behind you thing. If we want to get into more farfetched shows then 24 has moles, ease of access to restricted sites despite protocols and procedures, all that lark. Not to say this is cut from that cloth.

I would presume he's a few quid kept somewhere as he's trying to stay off the radar. UHT milk? Obligatory Father Ted reference.

Dub. wrote: »
    Why would the police phoning Stella keep her away from her room?

Well if they thought it was him or there was something happening they would call her and she may be inclined to head down there. Maybe he was hoping Katie would get caught again causing Stella to be away from the hotel. Just spit balling there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I think your second theory is probably more likely. He knows the cops will be watching his house. If she turns on him later he can now say she was an obsessed stalker who'll say anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

Dornan is a dreadful actor, but seems to have found a genre for himself between this and 50 shades of grey.

Yes i tend to agree, not a lot of acting required for his role in the fall

I'm pretty sure he sent her to break into his house for 2 reasons. 1 - So the police would phone Gibson and keep her out of her room. 2 - If she was caught she could be written off as an obsessed weirdo and even if she told them anything to incriminate him it could be argued away as her being a bit of a freak.

I'd have to watch it again but I think the patrol car came back to her as she was telling the other officer to check if any cars had been stolen. So it was all happening at once.

I'm not saying they have nothing to go on but all of their evidence so far could be thrown into doubt by a half decent lawyer.

Yes good and relevant points regarding getting katie to break in

regarding evidence yes it is possible that a good lawyer could get him off however i suspect the girl in the hospital will get her memory back and give evidence against him

regarding the scene where he drove off, no way, if a cop ever saw somebody approach a crime scene and then turn around they would be up their ass in seconds...

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Yes.

For Some Reason I can get it on the ipad but its not showing up on the app on the smart TV! :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,341 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

For Some Reason I can get it on the ipad but its not showing up on the app on the smart TV! :(

You're likely out of luck here, I'm afraid. This is what they said when I asked about Xbox access.
    Thank you for contacting the RTÉ Player with your query.

While most RTÉ Player content can be accessed through the Xbox app, some programmes may not be available due to rights restrictions. This includes some programmes such as The Fall. We will continue to add new content and programmes as we acquire more rights.

In the meantime you can catch-up with the latest episode on the desktop Player

We hope you find this helpful and enjoy using the RTÉ Player.

Kind regards,

RTÉ Player Team
    www.rte.ie/player

Well, no, but it's often praised for its apparent depiction of realism and being partly based on real characters. But enough, I've dug myself into a hole on that one. :pac:

Re not pursuing him as he approached the site they were searching - this isn't a show that relies on the police 'tooling up' or instantaneous forensic bollocks to catch him. How long might have taken for a uniformed officer to to jump into the patrol car and give chase? I don't know. I don't imagine the keys are left in the ignition as a general rule. I think heart of that scene was really what Paul verbalised once he started turning the car - 'fcuk you, Stella', and this is what drove (excuse the pun) the rest of the ep. I agree there's no harm in questioning the apparent lack of reaction, however.

With the hotel, this is a fairly standard tactic of contemporary murder or drama shows. Recent Nordic noir imports such as The Killing, The Bridge all have elements that are perhaps a bit OTT in some regard, and that's not unusual. It falls into the he's right behind you thing. If we want to get into more farfetched shows then 24 has moles, ease of access to restricted sites despite protocols and procedures, all that lark. Not to say this is cut from that cloth.

I would presume he's a few quid kept somewhere as he's trying to stay off the radar. UHT milk? Obligatory Father Ted reference.

Yes true the hotel scene was far fetched and stupid to say the least but i guess i could get over that in a way as it was a very over exaggerated way of getting spector into gibsons room, however i just wont accept anything other that the scene where he drove away from the crime scene as beyond stupid, a patrol car can be up someones ass in a matter of seconds, no doubt about that, cops always always go straight after anybody they see acting suspiciously in a car, its their specialty, you will see it at crime scenes, checkpoints and in regular driving, there was a patrol car parked directly behind gibson all she had to do was shout and they would have had him, a very stupid scene as it was played out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

This series is getting a bit out of hand, though it's still entertaining enough.
    I know he still has a hostage (though I'm not sure what exactly convinced them she was still alive?) but Spector is still wandering about Belfast without a care in the world. Surely it was time to have his face plastered around every media outlet as soon as they had it?

Hrududu wrote: »
    I think your second theory is probably more likely. He knows the cops will be watching his house. If she turns on him later he can now say she was an obsessed stalker who'll say anything.
    This bugged me immensely. Gibson was convinced immediately that Katie was covering for Spector. Why didn't she have her tailed right there?

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    This bugged me immensely. Gibson was convinced immediately that Katie was covering for Spector. Why didn't she have her tailed right there?

Excellent point, that would have led them straight to spector, they are making a p*ss poor job of tracking him down

plus the other point which was made, belfast is a small enough city, it wouldnt be terribly difficult to track spector down by making a few enquiries, if i was the family of rose who is missing i would be going ape at the cops for their stupidity and ineptness, firstly for putting her in danger in the first place then secondly for making a b*llocks of finding spector, i could see a potential laws suit over the cops negligence there, i know cops can be pure useless at the best of times but this is farcical and we are led to believe gibson was brought in from the met as some sort of expert??? all she is doing is lapping it up in a 5 star hotel on a good holiday at the tax payers expense, i also though bringing a relationship between the indian professor and roses husband into it was stupid and as much as i would have liked to see the indian professor and gibson lez up, it was another stupid situation to add to the mix, gibson is a high profile cop in belfast to track a killer and she decided to lez up in front of everybody....serious lack of professionalism there, the show is gone to sh*te really...credibility gone.

Well, all we can do at this stage, whether the show has merits or not, is to keep yapping about it. If it's provoking a reaction that's more than some shows manage. Roll on the denouement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

regarding the scene where he drove off, no way, if a cop ever saw somebody approach a crime scene and then turn around they would be up their ass in seconds...

The way I see the car scene is that Stella had no real reason to assume that it was him at first. They were at that spot because it's where he made the phone call from, they weren't expecting to find him. The police cars were blocking the road, have you never been driving somewhere and see a checkpoint or an accident blocking the road and just turn around and go another way? Sure you could argue she should have been on high alert anyway and shouted for a car as soon as he turned his lights off.

Someone else mentioned them not following Katie. I refer again to the constant references the other week to budget cuts on their investigation. They've got a full surveillance operation on Specter's house which must be costing a few bob, as well as a team watching Rose's husband's house.

Personally I find it all a bit more believable than these cop shows where they solve murders by silly coincidences or jumping to the right conclusion every single time. I imagine in real life things like this are messy and take time. Remember that woman in Bristol who was murdered around Christmas a few years ago? They had her landlord hauled through the press for days as the murderer and he had absolutely nothing to do with it. Police make mistakes all the time.

Well, all we can do at this stage, whether the show has merits or not, is to keep yapping about it. If it's provoking a reaction that's more than some shows manage. Roll on the denouement.
    Please tell me there isn't a third series... I'd almost forgive them if they wrap it up shortly.

i also though bringing a relationship between the indian professor and roses husband into it was stupid and as much as i would have liked to see the indian professor and gibson lez up, it was another stupid situation to add to the mix, gibson is a high profile cop in belfast to track a killer and she decided to lez up in front of everybody....serious lack of professionalism there, the show is gone to sh*te really...credibility gone.

Why would Gibson "lezzing it up" be unprofessional?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Please tell me there isn't a third series... I'd almost forgive them if they wrap it up shortly.

Jamie Dornan said
    If there was a 3rd series it was unlikely he'd be involved. The way he worded it though sounded like Specter's story is wrapped up one way or another this series.

The way I see the car scene is that Stella had no real reason to assume that it was him at first. They were at that spot because it's where he made the phone call from, they weren't expecting to find him. The police cars were blocking the road, have you never been driving somewhere and see a checkpoint or an accident blocking the road and just turn around and go another way? Sure you could argue she should have been on high alert anyway and shouted for a car as soon as he turned his lights off.
    As soon as I saw him phoning Gibson from the old shed location I assumed he had the cop on to know not to go back there and was a bit WTF when he nearly drove right into half the PSNI there. Even if he hadn't returned there, he should have known he was leading them straight to a place where they'd have loads of extra evidence to nail him?

As soon as I saw him phoning Gibson from the old shed location I assumed he had the cop on to know not to go back there and was a bit WTF when he nearly drove right into half the PSNI there. Even if he hadn't returned there, he should have known he was leading them straight to a place where they'd have loads of extra evidence to nail him?

That's true but I think he's shown quite a few times that he enjoys taking risks. He's arrogant and extremely self assured. I mean coming back to Belfast at all was risky. Replying to the call from the foundation set up for his first victim was risky. Going to visit the girl who survived his attack was unbelievably risky. Everything he does is risky. Returning to his shack was probably one of the less risky things he's done :D

I don't think he phoned her from the actual shed although it seems likely it was on the same road so same difference really.

That's true but I think he's shown quite a few times that he enjoys taking risks. He's arrogant and extremely self assured. I mean coming back to Belfast at all was risky. Replying to the call from the foundation set up for his first victim was risky. Going to visit the girl who survived his attack was unbelievably risky. Everything he does is risky. Returning to his shack was probably one of the less risky things he's done :D

I don't think he phoned her from the actual shed although it seems likely it was on the same road so same difference really.
    There's certainly plenty of what he says that indicates he's fully expecting to be captured imminently and perhaps not even particularly bothered if he is.
    Maybe he's as upset with the PSNI's performance as we are!

• Advertisement

There's certainly plenty of what he says that indicates he's fully expecting to be captured imminently and perhaps not even particularly bothered if he is.
    Maybe he's as upset with the PSNI's performance as we are!

Yes, his line to Katie about serial killing being a slow suicide and even the stuff he said to the girl in hospital suggest he knows fine well what's in store for him. It seems to be more a case of him being determined to take Stella down with him.

I do wonder if his father being British Army has any relevance to anything? He clearly doesn't like women much anyway but Stella being English must really grind his gears.

Advertisement