Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10%

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

A lot of what we have actually been delivered are knick-knacks, bells and whistles as you call them. RTPI signs are nice, but not really necessary with the advent of smartphones. This was a €25m project, and the RTPI doesn't really work that well. Wi-fi on buses is another item that is not as expensive but doesn't really bring any benefit for the vast majority of bus passengers. If it had been implemented 5 years earlier, it might have delivered on some sort of vision. Having such a young bus fleet is also nice, but is it really necessary?

A minimal level of late night services are not really bells and whistles in a city which operates 24 hours a day.

We are still paying more per kilometre of bus operations than anybody else in Europe (except maybe London, which has similar levels of cost, but that is a very exceptional situation)

If the cost per km could be reduced by just 10 percent, it would mean that the fleet could be increased in size by 10 percent. This would result in a massive practical improvement in comfort, capacity and frequency.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

can easily be implemented with dublin bus. it will be most likely the NTA implementing it all anyway.

Then why haven't they? DB have had the opportunity to do this over the last 25 years but they never bothered their ass to do it before. These aren't new things, they have been done everywhere else for the past 25 years.

That is why the NTA is now forcing DB to do all of these best practices with the BRT.

Because the reality, DB hasn't improved in any real sense in the last 25 years.
    for dublin, 2 doors is probably enough for many routes with 3 for the busiest. not 4 though.

Again, DB was happily buying single door buses for years. It was the NTA who again had to bring them kicking and screaming into the 21st century and bought the dual door buses for them. But it is still DB who aren't properly using these dual door buses by using the two doors at all stops.

2 doors minimum, 3 door, dual stairs double deckers like you have in Germany and now London again, on busier routes, 4 doors on the single decker bendy buses on the busiest routes.

and how many of these employees would actually use the bus.

Most I would say. After all most of these IT companies are in the city center and most private sector employees don't get free parking. I work for one of these companies and me and most of my colleagues use the Bus/Dart/Luas/Bike to get to work.

Remember, many of the people working in these companies come from mainland Europe (spain, Italy, Poland, Germany, etc.) and expect mainland European style living and services. That often means high quality apartment living and high quality public transport services.

These are the people who are using public transport every day. These are the people that made Dublin Bikes such a resounding success. Dublin is a very different, very young and very multinational place today.

I don't think our government and cerntaily not CIE companies have realised this yet. And from a government perspective it is imperative to keep these IT and Financil service companies and their staff happy as they are at the heart of the Irish economy.

most people want a bus that gets them from a to b with integrated ticketing. not the shiny bells and whistles.

Exactly, just like you had in Poland 10 years ago, just with stamped paper tickets rather then bells and whistles, but doesn't work properly smart cards.

luas is the way it is because of its regulatory body, not because of the private sector.

Luas is the perfect example of the model the NTA want to implement with bus services in Dublin. Luas is basically the same model as London Bus.

Owned and regulated by the state, who sets schedule, ticket prices, maintenance levels, etc. but operated and run on a day to day by a private company.

This model works extremely well for Luas, it works extremely well for London Bus and there is no reason why it shouldn't also work extremely well for bus services in Dublin.

It really makes no logical sense to have bus services in Dublin run by one state owned company with some of the highest per/km costs in Europe and which is heavily unionised and can hold the government hostage whenever it wants.

Frankly from the costumers point of view, it makes much more sense to have a couple of private companies operating the routes, in a highly regulated fashion, all competing to offer services at a cheaper rate to gain more routes and where no one is too powerful and able to hold the government and the people of Dublin hostage.

I mention the private intercity services, not because they are directly equivalent to city bus services, but because they are another clear examples of how private enterprise can deliver a far superior service then state owned companies.

Many of the arguments we are hearing on this thread I heard in the past about BE when the private companies first started up. BE said there was no demand on the Cork route after 6pm! Full Aircoach coaches running hourly almost 24 hours shows the clear lie in that.

i would rather a functional basic public transport system that operates through as much of the day as possible without all the bells and whistles rather then something with all the bells and whistles that may potentially end up being badly implemented.

I want the same and clearly DB aren't delivering that.

Multi door operation, zero driver interaction, true integrated ticketing, accurate timetables at every stop. These are the bread and butter of any decent city bus service and DB has failed miserably to deliver on any of these over the past 25 years.

It is now finally time to give someone else a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Ah the EU.. is there anything they can't do screw up?

Orbital routes are needed yes, but I don't see why they need to get a new operator (which as posted above may not have the depot facilities - and which it seems the NTA/taxpayer? will fund in such cases??) to take them on.

you do realize i'm agreeing with this stance. all i stated was that apparently we had to do all this because of some pointless EU directives, not that i agree with tendering, i don't, as with the NTA most likely implementing all the ideas, i can't see what more it can deliver that couldn't be delivered with the current model and the NTA implementing them.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

bk wrote: »
    It really makes no logical sense to have bus services in Dublin run by one state owned company with some of the highest per/km costs in Europe

many of the routes they run are long socially necessary routes that are probably loss making, so that may be pushing costs up a bit.
    which is heavily unionised and can hold the government hostage whenever it wants.

nothing wrong with it being heavily unionized, such companies should be to ensure workers have good conditions and pay. they don't hold the government hostage whenever they want, but remind them that if they don't listen to greevences, they can, and will, withdraw their labour. which is their right and something i support whatever the cost.
    Frankly from the costumers point of view, it makes much more sense to have a couple of private companies operating the routes, in a highly regulated fashion, all competing to offer services at a cheaper rate to gain more routes and where no one is too powerful and able to hold the government and the people of Dublin hostage.

who's paying for it. to offer cheeper rates won't subsidy have to go up. it is right that we have a company very powerful and able to hold the government to task when needs be to ensure staff are treated fairly and to ensure the government don't get away with trying to pull a fast one.
    I mention the private intercity services, not because they are directly equivalent to city bus services, but because they are another clear examples of how private enterprise can deliver a far superior service then state owned companies.

in your opinion. a coach to me would never be superior to a train.
    Many of the arguments we are hearing on this thread I heard in the past about BE when the private companies first started up. BE said there was no demand on the Cork route after 6pm! Full Aircoach coaches running hourly almost 24 hours shows the clear lie in that.

but bus eireann aren't having their routes taken from them. to offer dublin bus services like that would mean de-regulation, that would be the only way to ensure a few operators could operate on each route. or if tendering, dublin bus can continue to operate the route along with a private operator with dublin bus being protected for socially necessary reasons.
    It is now finally time to give someone else a go.

its not if its at my expence. if i'm having some of my tax go to subsidizeing bus operations, i want that money to go to a state company owned by me and the people. they're might be very rare exceptions, very rural bus services operated by local people, but thats probably it. if the NTA can run the lot off the fare box revenue alone, then whatever they want, but i can't see that happening. if an operator wants to come in on the same route along with dublin bus, that is fine also but dublin bus must have minimal protection incase the other operator has to pull out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

you do realize i'm agreeing with this stance. all i stated was that apparently we had to do all this because of some pointless EU directives, not that i agree with tendering, i don't, as with the NTA most likely implementing all the ideas, i can't see what more it can deliver that couldn't be delivered with the current model and the NTA implementing them.

No I know.. I was agreeing with you :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭s8080

T

They don't seem to realise that Dublin is now a modern European capital, with the highest percentage of people under 30 in Europe and pretty much the silicon valley of Europe with almost every single major IT company having it's European base here.

These young people expect modern, European style, efficient public transport services that service their needs, not what we had in the 1950's. Companies that are focused on their costumer needs and not beholden to the unions. People are frankly sick and tired with the low quality service currently delivered by the CIE companies and are seeing how the private sector can and those deliver far higher quality service (e.g. Luas, Aircoach, Citylink, Dublin Coach, etc.)

don’t fool yourself ,these tech business are here for tax break reasons only, they don’t care about their staff transport needs. they will up sticks and move in the morning if they can get a better tax deal

they you say Dublin bus fares are too high and private operators give a better service, you forgot to mention the private operators all cost more than dublin bus. Maybe because they charge more they can give a better service?

you had a nice rant about the mighty dublin bus unions, care to give us any examples of their omnipotent power? or is it only in your head?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

s8080 wrote: »
    they you say Dublin bus fares are too high and private operators give a better service, you forgot to mention the private operators all cost more than dublin bus. Maybe because they charge more they can give a better service?

Private operators also have to pay for
    - ALL Buses and Coaches
    - Commercial Rates for Insurance
    - Their own Infrastructure

They also get no subsidy at all and not to mention they have to compete with a giant incumbent.

devnull wrote: »
    Private operators also have to pay for
    - ALL Buses and Coaches
    - Commercial Rates for Insurance
    - Their own Infrastructure

They also get no subsidy at all and not to mention they have to compete with a giant incumbent.
    every business has at least one giant in their field.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭currins_02

Cost base will be DB/BE/CIE's biggest issue in a tender market. Despite the many free buses (supplied by the NTA at absolutely no cost), despite the subsidy, despite the free infrastructure (which they have been selling off in bits to shore up the subsidy deficit AFAIR) they will not be able to compete with lean efficient companies. Too many layers, way too much management - look at Victoria Coach Station for instance, handles multiples of the movements (from multiple operators) on a daily basis on Bus Aras, yet Bus Aras requires multiples of the the staff on a daily basis to run it on much higher packages.

I'm all for good pay and conditions but there has to be a line. We have a situation were most driving staff are paid more than many nursing grades and junior doctors, that is indefensible to me. Getting a bus licence costs approximately €1,500 - €2,000 on the private side at the minute (state funding available to unemployed in some cases) and takes very little time. Becoming a nurse takes years, loads of money and involves saving lives. Their package deserves to reflect that.

There has been 100's of applicants (if not 1000's) for the jobs in DB but most are being rejected along the line by the company not the other way around. That problem affects private sector too. Driving is not a first choice career for many and complex to get into (4-5 tests now including CPC etc but process is twisted as hell). Many have been flagging an increasing driver shortage. All that said I know of an applicant who recently failed DB driving assessment for missing a couple of mirrors and being "late" with signals. If they were so stuck they have an in house training division who should be able to address that - he was complimented on his all round drive otherwise! It should be noted they are only taking licenced drivers and not training new ones. I suspect part of the game is to hold vacancies for the displaced worked on any routes lost (if that happens) who don't want to go down the TUPE transfer route if that is invoked - simply move them into vacanices they "can't" fill. Also bear in mind that the vacancies, I beleive are primarily on nights and duties that are less desirable, with our cushy dole system that may not tempt many off the dole I reckon.

To be fair though, Victoria Coach Station in London is in a rather depressing state internally, but I agree it is pretty efficient even if the place is second only to Holyhead for the depressing stakes.

• Advertisement

currins_02 wrote: »
    Cost base will be DB/BE/CIE's biggest issue in a tender market.

apart from potentially the wage bill i can't see how.
    Despite the many free buses (supplied by the NTA at absolutely no cost), despite the subsidy, despite the free infrastructure (which they have been selling off in bits to shore up the subsidy deficit AFAIR) they will not be able to compete

and who's fault is it they have to sell off infrastructure. those who fail to realize public transport has to be payed for. i can't see any reason why they can't compete.
    lean efficient companies.

who apart from potentially the wage bill, will most likely have more or less the same costs. maintenence fuel and so on will remain the same most likely. so about as lean and efficient as dublin bus and the NTA implementing everything, which they will probably be doing even with a private operator if they win.
    Too many layers, way too much management - look at Victoria Coach Station for instance, handles multiples of the movements (from multiple operators) on a daily basis on Bus Aras, yet Bus Aras requires multiples of the the staff on a daily basis to run it on much higher packages.

well when i used to use Bus Aras i only saw staff a very odd time. i agree they're are a lot of management though much of which could be retired, or demoted to replace retiring staff.
    There has been 100's of applicants (if not 1000's) for the jobs in DB but most are being rejected along the line by the company not the other way around.

maybe they aren't suitable for the job. i don't know but it is a fair point to make, not everyone is cut out to drive a bus and deal with the public.
    That problem affects private sector too. Driving is not a first choice career for many and complex to get into (4-5 tests now including CPC etc but process is twisted as hell). Many have been flagging an increasing driver shortage.

hence why wages may rise within the private sector to encourage people to take it up
    of course i couldn't say that for definite but if they're is a shortage that might be the only choice.
    It should be noted they are only taking licenced drivers and not training new ones. I suspect part of the game is to hold vacancies for the displaced worked on any routes lost (if that happens) who don't want to go down the TUPE transfer route if that is invoked - simply move them into vacanices they "can't" fill.

well in fairness its much better to take on qualified licenced drivers first and then if that isn't enough train up more. many businesses and companies look for qualified staff for a speciffic job or jobs.
    Also bear in mind that the vacancies, I beleive are primarily on nights and duties that are less desirable, with our cushy dole system that may not tempt many off the dole I reckon.

oh possibly. but then again it might be the case that the people you referr to who wouldn't do a job because of the dole, wouldn't do one no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

But bus eireann aren't having their routes taken from them. to offer dublin bus services like that would mean de-regulation, that would be the only way to ensure a few operators could operate on each route. or if tendering, dublin bus can continue to operate the route along with a private operator with dublin bus being protected for socially necessary reasons.

If i'm having some of my tax go to subsidizeing bus operations, i want that money to go to a state company owned by me and the people. they're might be very rare exceptions, very rural bus services operated by local people, but thats probably it. if the NTA can run the lot off the fare box revenue alone, then whatever they want, but i can't see that happening. if an operator wants to come in on the same route along with dublin bus, that is fine also but dublin bus must have minimal protection incase the other operator has to pull out.

Bus Eireann are indeed having some of their routes "taken from them"

http://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/3._Technical_Report_on_Contract_Options_-_Bus_Eireann_September_2013.pdf
    The preferred competitive tendering scenario is to select between 7%
    and 10% of services from the following suite of options:
    o
    All city services in Waterford
    o
    Some city services in Cork
    o
    Some rural stage carriage services in the south east region
    o
    Certain Dublin commuter services

The issue of Ownership has,it seems surfaced in the very recent past as being one of increased relevance to the NTA's plan.

The high-profile success of the Nationwide anti Water Charges campaign,has led to some "Pooling of resources" amongst Politically like-minded interested parties.

It is very likely that no statements will now issue from the NTA or Government on the Tendering Proposals until after 10th December (for VERY obvious reasons).

It is only now being realized (and publicized) that the NTA's only Private Sector Operated PSO contract services DO NOT ACCEPT THE DSP FREE TRAVEL PASS,except for a 50% discount off the full adult fare.

Given that the routes concerned significantly predated the 2010 Freeze of DSP funding,the ending of the universal Free Travel entitlement has been played at a very low-key indeed.

http://www.shannonside.ie/news/nta-confirms-that-longford-cavan-bus-link-will-be-maintained-in-the-longterm/
    This news follows the announcement by Wharton’s Travel of Crossdoney recently that it is forced to withdraw from providing the service between Longford and Cavan that it has provided for some 40 years.
    The service due to be ended on SATURDAY, has been loss making for the last eight years, despite significant subvention being provided by the Department of Social Protection.

http://www.whartonstravel.com/longford-bus.html

http://www.nationaltransport.ie/news/whartons-travel-crossdoney-wins-contract-for-publicly-funded-bus-route-between-cavan-and-longford/
    Adult and concessionary Fares to be charged have been set by the Authority and broadly match the previous fares charged. As the Free Travel Scheme operated by the Department of Social Protection is closed to new entrants, Holders of Free Travel Passes wishing to travel on the service will now be required to pay 50% of the appropriate Adult Fare.

The same situation also exists with the M&A Coaches operated route 828 which operates over a surrendered long-running Bus Eireann route.

http://mandacoaches.com/

Irrespective of these pre-existing routes,the "New" NTA Tender does not continue the availability of FREE TRAVEL on them,something which is now assuming some relevance given recent developments.

I would be surprised if Politics does not re-enter this debate quite soon,in which case,many bets will be off.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,138 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Also, the issue of wages is key here. Any tendering process that will be fought and won on the basis of new companies offering lower wages needs to be resisted at all costs imo.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Also, the issue of wages is key here.

No, what is key here is the level of service provided to the public.

That should always come first in any public service.

Also, the issue of wages is key here. Any tendering process that will be fought and won on the basis of new companies offering lower wages needs to be resisted at all costs imo.

Whilst staff costs will be a relevant issue,I would not see it as being the major one.

The considerable upgrading of Bus & Truck driving to "Professional" status,complete with it's attendant Certificate,added to the significant increase in Driving Licence costs (€25 for a 10 Year Licence has now become €55 for a 5 year licence with a requirement for a Medical Report at each renewal).

Up to this year,the sourcing of qualified Drivers from the EU accession states was one of the most eagerly practiced in the Industry.

However,indications are that this supply is not as plentiful as heretofore,and also that these people are becoming more realistic about their wages and conditions.

Realistic to the worker = Greedy to the employer ;)

Lower costs will,of course be an issue,but as has been shown by the inventor of the term in Europe,Ryanair,this does not necessarily equate with lower pay to staff.

The reality of operating any services on a 20/7/364 basis is that you will not get the staff if you don't pay reasonable rates...it has been attempted elsewhere and on many occasions,with the same result.

There is a corollary between lowering wage rates generally,and that lowering principle eventually reaching those in charge of the lowering process...:eek: smarter folks appreciate this,the rest just bellow about slashing wages,taxing the rich and so on....;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

this!!!!!!!!!!!!! times 1000000

As an infrequent boardie I am surprised that a story of last week seems to have been missed. Following challenges by Marion Harkin MEP (www.marionharkin.com) at EU level the cap on new services joining the free travel scheme has been lifted following been ruled uncompetitive. This was following lobbying at local and national level by representatives of McGonagle Bus Company in Donegal (who took over ex Lough Swilly route between Derry and Buncrana) and Leydon's Coaches of Cavan for their Swanlinbar services.

http://www.northernsound.ie/news/private-bus-operator-take-case-to-europe/
    http://www.donegalnow.com/article/6756

Both operators had been offering a concession on free travel passes out of their own funds in the interim. To some extent that blows arguments around new services being subject to the caps wide open does it not?

With regard to Bus Aras, as someone who has driven in and out of it on many many occasions and also transit it at least once weekly I can assure anyone that inspector grade staff are often in the double figures. Many of those guiding reversing buses out of parking bays are inspector grade staff (a job that bottom level staff would do in any lean efficient company but we have senior high paid staff doing it) for instance. Victoria only has 2-6 inspector grade staff working at any one time but handles multiples of the people and vehicles Bus Aras controls. I fully agree Victoria is a depressing place but is efficient none the less.

With regard to why I don't consider DB/BE/CIE lean or efficient I will give some examples. Firstly, despite an ongoing moratorium on employment (recently lifted at DB), DB have retained a fully resourced and staffed training school. Yes they deal with a few mechanics annually but broadly speaking an absolute waste of money. Vehicle utilisation is poor by international standards across the companies in general (yes some vehicles are worked to death but in general they are not hard worked). Two of the reasons ex DB vehicles sell so well in the UK and beyond are a) few companies would be selling such vehicles at such a young age and b) the mileage is low compared with similar operators on a per annum average. I was told this personally by a UK based operator who runs a large number of ex DB vehicles. Look at trade press when a batch comes up they are far younger than anything else for sale from large companies.

Here is a recent real example a CIE group vehicle (not saying what, which company or what depot for fear of making trouble for some involved) had to go to a main dealer for a relatively minor mechanical/electrical repair. This is despite it's home depot having a fully equipped and fully resourced garage. Why? Because company policys and union agreements forbade mechanics with electrical specialisations looking at or repairing the minor mechanical overlap in the issue and vice versa for the mechanics with mechanical specialisation. There was no co-operation so the vehicle had to be towed (at a cost in the €1,000's I would guess) to a main dealer where the repair was done in a matter of hours. the vehicle had been off the road for at least a week at this stage. Now that's an efficient company for you. BTW the vehicle was long out of warranty so that was not a consideration. That is 100% fact and I have proof of it.

As far as I am concerned the semi state companies should be front and centre of our public transport but as taxpayers we deserve a reasonable level of customer service and certainly value for money. At present the customer service is patchy at best and poor in general while we don't get value for money. The type of companies who I would imagine will compete hardest in these tenders will be companies who are not overladen with overpaid, underworked (4 day week?!) and indecisive management, will not have senior staff reversing vehicles out of parking bays, will not outsource simple repairs because of nonsense procedures, drivers who damage vehicles wantonly would suffer disciplinary action or sanction, customer would be king and yes, staff should be paid a good (but fair and equitable wage).

There are crazy scaremonger allegations of all privates paying crap money. Yes it happens but in the main they pay quite well. For instance GoBus and Citylink are both known to pay well and treat staff well. Matthews are known to be a good employer who look after staff. In all 3 drivers would be expected to at least sweep out their bus during paid duties (as would be the norm in the UK and beyond), would most DB/BE staff know where the brush was?

I'm not criticising the staff, they are working under the conditions they have gained over many years. Do they represent what I consider a lean and competitive company? absolutely not, all these things add to the cost base and that's where major savings will be made by new entrants. Yes they are better than they were before, are they as good as they could be, no where near it IMO

With regard to Bus Aras, as someone who has driven in and out of it on many many occasions and also transit it at least once weekly I can assure anyone that inspector grade staff are often in the double figures. Many of those guiding reversing buses out of parking bays are inspector grade staff

good. i've no issue with this as a bus is rather a large vehicle.
    (a job that bottom level staff would do in any lean efficient company

not necessarily
    but we have senior high paid staff doing it) for instance.

yeah. thats fine
    Victoria only has 2-6 inspector grade staff working at any one time but handles multiples of the people and vehicles Bus Aras controls.

it depends on the work these particular staff do in that particular station but if they are reversing busses, then that sounds to low for my liking.
    despite an ongoing moratorium on employment (recently lifted at DB), DB have retained a fully resourced and staffed training school.

because the moratorium won't last forever i should imagine. if they were to get rid of it, once the moratorium goes do they have to rebuild the training school again or do they just keep what they have and reactivate when needed?
    Yes they deal with a few mechanics annually but broadly speaking an absolute waste of money.

how do they train them then if its a waste of money and should be scrapped.
    the mileage is low compared with similar operators on a per annum average.

of course, the routes are less frequent and probably shorter.
    Here is a recent real example a CIE group vehicle (not saying what, which company or what depot for fear of making trouble for some involved) had to go to a main dealer for a relatively minor mechanical/electrical repair. This is despite it's home depot having a fully equipped and fully resourced garage. Why? Because company policys and union agreements forbade mechanics with electrical specialisations looking at or repairing the minor mechanical overlap in the issue and vice versa for the mechanics with mechanical specialisation.

well if one mechanic is qualified for one particular thing he should hardly be expected to do something he isn't qualified to do. if he did and fecked it up people would be complaining.
    There was no co-operation so the vehicle had to be towed (at a cost in the €1,000's I would guess) to a main dealer where the repair was done in a matter of hours. the vehicle had been off the road for at least a week at this stage.

thats unfortunate but if they don't have the particular mechanic to fix it what else can they do?
    In all 3 drivers would be expected to at least sweep out their bus during paid duties (as would be the norm in the UK and beyond), would most DB/BE staff know where the brush was?

its their job to drive the bus, no more no less. whether a driver cleaning his bus is the norm in other places makes no difference, dublin bus i should imagine has cleaners to clean when time allows
    I'm not criticising the staff, they are working under the conditions they have gained over many years. Do they represent what I consider a lean and competitive company? absolutely not, all these things add to the cost base and that's where major savings will be made by new entrants. Yes they are better than they were before, are they as good as they could be, no where near it IMO

for our system, they are a lean enough company these days. lean isn't always best.

We'll have to agree to disagree, Frustrating that everything has to be spelt out and even then can't be accepted.

There would be a number of lower grade staff working in Victoria on any day but no where near the number of senior (inspector and management grade) staff that Bus Aras enjoys. Those senior staff would be doing senior jobs, not reversing buses as one example (there are many others but each and every one will be fine to those who can't see that is neither efficient nor lean nor, more importantly, competitive in a tendered market place).

On the breakdown example, both mechanic teams involved were fully qualified to do both ends of the work but post qualification they specialise. There is no issue at all re qualification. In fact the fully time served mechanic (who is now an electrical specialist) fully diagnosed the problem, recommended the correct repair, had the parts and tools to hand and was laughing that he was prevented from doing it by company policies/union rules not his qualifications or skills. All of these type of things add to the cost base. The main dealer were laughing too - as they did the invoice!

My point re the training school was lost. Training inspectors are incredibly well paid, despite a reduced need for them they have remained in those positions, retained the packages and been less than productive in any efficient sense (not their fault but simple effective management would redploy them somewhere until the tide rises), a fleet of training buses was retained which until the current driving assessments were largely invisible etc. I never ever said scrap it. What I implied was it could have been massively downsized to relfect it's usage to save a large sum of money but that would upset union applecarts. Equally, they claim to be unable to fill the current vacancies and at a recent job fair a DB rep said they had 1000's of applications of unqualified people. So, they have the qualified staff getting the pay to do the job, they have the buses, they have the facilities, would it not be prudent management to get working? Nah, just burn more cash and keep the cost high. Never suggested scrapping it I must repeat - just make good and efficient use of it.

Equally while what others do may be seen as irrelevant it is only irrelevant in the 1932 protected timewarp some in the CIE group are stuck in. In a competitive market place what others are doing is incredibily relevant. At the end of the day if a company has a much lower cost base they can compete better, some level of basic vehicle cleaning is an industry standard outside state owned companies (and yes deep cleaning could still be left to cleaners), but in terms of customer service it's a winner too - Some BE vehicles work 20 hour duties (2 laps of an Expressway service and no one looks at them in terms of cleanliness in that time, regardless of long (way in excess in legal requirements) breaks. I know unions would find it controversial but just another example of how they could improve. These are realitys of the competitive market place and through time I suspect they will slowly have to be addressed but at what cost in the meantime.

Anyway I'm off, I have no doubt every point will be dissected with disdain but illusions that the overheads, legacy costs, management costs etc all suffered by CIE group leave them competitive are missplaced in my opinion and I have seen nothing here to suggest otherwise. We do what we do well because we've been doing it looks ok here but will win nothing on a tender submission.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If Dublin Bus is recruiting 100 drivers, why is there an expectation of a TUPE situation?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

We'll have to agree to disagree, Frustrating that everything has to be spelt out and even then can't be accepted.

There would be a number of lower grade staff working in Victoria on any day but no where near the number of senior (inspector and management grade) staff that Bus Aras enjoys. Those senior staff would be doing senior jobs, not reversing buses as one example (there are many others but each and every one will be fine to those who can't see that is neither efficient nor lean nor, more importantly, competitive in a tendered market place).

On the breakdown example, both mechanic teams involved were fully qualified to do both ends of the work but post qualification they specialise. There is no issue at all re qualification. In fact the fully time served mechanic (who is now an electrical specialist) fully diagnosed the problem, recommended the correct repair, had the parts and tools to hand and was laughing that he was prevented from doing it by company policies/union rules not his qualifications or skills. All of these type of things add to the cost base. The main dealer were laughing too - as they did the invoice!

My point re the training school was lost. Training inspectors are incredibly well paid, despite a reduced need for them they have remained in those positions, retained the packages and been less than productive in any efficient sense (not their fault but simple effective management would redploy them somewhere until the tide rises), a fleet of training buses was retained which until the current driving assessments were largely invisible etc. I never ever said scrap it. What I implied was it could have been massively downsized to relfect it's usage to save a large sum of money but that would upset union applecarts. Equally, they claim to be unable to fill the current vacancies and at a recent job fair a DB rep said they had 1000's of applications of unqualified people. So, they have the qualified staff getting the pay to do the job, they have the buses, they have the facilities, would it not be prudent management to get working? Nah, just burn more cash and keep the cost high. Never suggested scrapping it I must repeat - just make good and efficient use of it.

Equally while what others do may be seen as irrelevant it is only irrelevant in the 1932 protected timewarp some in the CIE group are stuck in. In a competitive market place what others are doing is incredibily relevant. At the end of the day if a company has a much lower cost base they can compete better, some level of basic vehicle cleaning is an industry standard outside state owned companies (and yes deep cleaning could still be left to cleaners), but in terms of customer service it's a winner too - Some BE vehicles work 20 hour duties (2 laps of an Expressway service and no one looks at them in terms of cleanliness in that time, regardless of long (way in excess in legal requirements) breaks. I know unions would find it controversial but just another example of how they could improve. These are realitys of the competitive market place and through time I suspect they will slowly have to be addressed but at what cost in the meantime.

Anyway I'm off, I have no doubt every point will be dissected with disdain but illusions that the overheads, legacy costs, management costs etc all suffered by CIE group leave them competitive are missplaced in my opinion and I have seen nothing here to suggest otherwise. We do what we do well because we've been doing it looks ok here but will win nothing on a tender submission.

just on the training school you are wrong on a number of counts, most driving instructors in Dublin bus are drivers, they work in the school as required when not needed they do their normal driving duties.

Second the school is not just to train new drivers it also puts the 2000+ drivers through the CPC every year.

It also offers corrective training to drivers who fail their plain clothes inspection or to drivers sent by a manager following an accident or incident or a report from an inspector.

it also does refresher driving for drivers returning after long term illness or assault.

they also introduced the vigil vanguard driver assessment, which most of the 2000 drivers have done at this stage.

They also train other grades like mechanics who need a full license as well etc etc

So it is untrue the impression that you give of a fully staffed school, sitting around for the last 6 years waiting for DB to start hiring again.

I won't bother dissecting the rest for now so as not to upset you further.

BTW I think the school has 4 full time employees including the manager.

Victor wrote: »
    If Dublin Bus is recruiting 100 drivers, why is there an expectation of a TUPE situation?

Because that is what the company are saying, that they won't have work for them so they will have to go, if the company lose 10%. Allegedly the unions have already agreed this and it won't be last in first out, it will be drivers marked in on the routes tendered, allegedly again allegedly.

While I note Currins_02 statement concerning his relative lack of posts on Boards,that does'nt make his opinions any less valid.

However,all we have on this great facility is Opinion..whether from Customers,Providers or Observers it remains just that..... OPINION.

Which is why I would question the need for "frustration" due to these "Opinions" not being accepted by others.

The holding of Opinions should not be at the whim of general acceptance,if you hold them,then be confident of this in itself,rather than seeing the imposition of those views on everybody else as some form of crusading necessity.

As it happens I do not concur with currins_02's views,but he's fully entitled to hold and espouse them wherever he wishes.

I would'nt in a million years expect any other poster to concur with my own views,as I'm of the belief that we gain better understanding of our environment from taking note of what others believe,whether or not it's accurate.

I see cdebru has comprehensively addressed some of the issues raised,to which I would add my 2c worth.

The role of Staff Training has altered significantly over the time I have been working in and around CIE.

In the days of the flying snail and broken wheel,the term "Training SCHOOL" was the favoured description,reflecting the ethos and practice of what was then regarded as Training.

During the "School" era,training was indivisible from discipline and order,and therefore it was compulsory to have it delivered by a full supervisor Inspector grade.

The information and instruction given,was delivered always with the proviso of it being compulsory instruction and not up for debate and/or discussion.

Today,Dublin Buses Training facility is no longer a "School",but a Training CENTRE.

The requirement for all Company Training to be delivered by supervisory INSPECTORS no longer exists,with agreement having long ago been negotiated on this issue without recourse to any form of Industrial unrest.

Not that there would have been any requirement for action,as the Company's training policies have tended to be ahead of the curve on many different aspects,with Company input being sought into many HSA and RSA areas of policy.

The current Training policy now focuses on Trainers being drawn from the active Driving grade,recognizing the benefits of such trainers being au fait with the issues that occur in today's environment,rather than senior Inspectors who may have been away from the sharp-end for two decades or more.

The requirement for Training is ongoing and covers a broader canvas than Driving Instruction alone.

With Drivers CPC now accounting for a large proportion of Training,something likely to increase as the RSA takes further control of it's own remit,the benefits of a centralized Training regime covering c.2700 Drivers can be appreciated.

With the majority of Training Centre staff now comprising Driver/Trainers on revolving duties,it would appear Currins_02 may simply be unaware that significant change occurred without any "Union Applecarts" being upset,something which for many commentators is akin to being asked to believe in the Tooth-Fairy.

The issue with the specific vehicle being worked on in a Manufactures Dealership,is also unusual,even if the insinuation is that it represents everyday practice.

I cannot speak on this specific case,however it is worth noting that DB's maintenance staff now operate under multi-skill/multi-role agreements which see ALL trades working both independently and together as the tasks require.

Area's of specific note would be Vehicle Electricians apointed as Shift Supervisors and being trained to D driving licence standard (By the DB Training Centre ;) )

Demarcation at the level inferred in the post is most certainly NOT the current norm in DB engineering operations.

The issue of Inspectors performing safety related banksman type duties at a busy (long outdated) Bus Station,whilst superficially capable of supporting accusations of poor management,tends to backfire if the on-site accident statistics are low enough.

It could also be of note that many of the BE staff described could well be Temporary Inspectors or "Half-Caps" who float between driving and inspector duties as required...as covered by yet more agreements between Company and Worker Representatives.

Equally,all DB vehicles are vacuumed and washed every night,as well as having heavy material taken up by hand.

It may disappoint the committed,demarcation based Trades Unionist,but I tend to do a sweep of my own bus at each terminus to take up bottles,cans, paper cups and uneaten food thrown around by customers.

I know many other drivers who do the same,encountering no ill feeling or Union sanction for so doing,however,such is the volume of such garbage strewn about on a busy route,it can be a King Canute exercise in futility....;)

I do hope that my response to currins_02's post does'nt qualify as "disdainful dissection",however as he himself states at the end,it is only his opinion and,misplaced as my own contrary opinion may well be,I'll stick with it for now :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

good. i've no issue with this as a bus is rather a large vehicle.

How many years of experience do you think one should gain before being qualified to guide a reversing bus out of it's spot?

Is there a special educational/certification process before you're granted a Masters in Reversing Bus Guidance or is it an entirely vocational qualification?

Graham wrote: »
    How many years of experience do you think one should gain before being qualified to guide a reversing bus out of it's spot?

Is there a special educational/certification process before you're granted a Masters in Reversing Bus Guidance or is it an entirely vocational qualification?

PhD
    Doctorate
    or you can just enter the Konami code on the dash

plenty of rants about the mighty dublin bus unions, but when asked not one poster can give a example of their omnipotent power.
    so we can take it they already know they are only powerful in their imagination.
    Sad stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

plenty of rants about the mighty dublin bus unions, but when asked not one poster can give a example of their omnipotent power.
    so we can take it they already know they are only powerful in their imagination.
    Sad stuff.

Network Direct. How long did that take again?

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Network Direct. How long did that take again?

What way was it delayed by trade unions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

plenty of rants about the mighty dublin bus unions,
    2000 - 20% pay claim followed by strike
    2009 - LRC proposals rejected followed by strike
    2013 - similar strike

Was there a strike in 2014? It's all a bit blurry, but we the travelling public have become used to strikes from woorkers in CIE companies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

cdebru wrote: »
    What way was it delayed by trade unions ?

It still hasn't been completed... Sure only the other week NBRU were reminding drivers not to accept new schedules. Some of them had last bus departures of 2335. Imagine that, five minutes later. Completely unacceptable :eek:

Not to mention the 18 months it took for the implementation of the "cost cutting plan" which nearly bankrupted the company... Mind you I'd be curious to see how long the current fares will last when that brief programme ends this year.

Advertisement