Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lovelyhurler

Took them long enough to figure out the number for 999 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭e92335i

Gosub wrote: »
    I got this one guys...

140? speed blah blah... dangerous rabble rabble.:D
    Spook_ie wrote: »
    Has to be mentioned though, what's the speed limit in the north for a dual carriageway? 60 mph is only 96 km/h
    70mph/110kph
    This post has been deleted.

IMO It's 'safer' driving @ 140 with my car than 110kph in a.... lets say... 1.1 Peugeot 206. Or a 99 Avensis for that matter. Especially on what are statistically the safest roads in the country.

TBH if I was a passenger in any car(within reason) I would always choose a competent driver driving in excess of the speed limit over your average daily driver at the speed limit.

Cop-on, reaction speeds, car and driving competence need to be considered before labelling/judging someone for driving over the speed limit. After all the ‘limit’ is there for the average car being driven by the average Joe. Anything outside of this is a matter of law, and there's a separate forum for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,706 ✭✭✭✭josip

e92335i wrote: »
    IMO It's 'safer' driving @ 140 with my car than 110kph in a.... lets say... 1.1 Peugeot 206. Or a 99 Avensis for that matter. Especially on what are statistically the safest roads in the country.

That the one with the steering lock fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭e92335i

josip wrote: »
    That the one with the steering lock fault?

Sure I had that replaced ages ago.....

Anyway that issue only affects a locked car, not one that's so shockingly breaking the speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭obriendj

Sherfin wrote: »
    So, hopefully not as controversial :P :(
    Saw this a couple of weeks ago on my way home

Looks like she tried to pull a u-turn and ended up stuck perpendicular to the road, at night in a black car.:eek:

Was going to see if she needed help but she got the car in gear just as the video ended and went on her way

I am surprised the advert on the radio wasnt for Noyeks Newmans - Kitchen floors decks and doors

"Its almost 7 o'clock..." I hate those ads!!

Sorry for bumping an old video.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

TBH if I was a passenger in any car(within reason) I would always choose a competent driver driving in excess of the speed limit over your average daily driver at the speed limit.

tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

IMO It's 'safer' driving @ 140 with my car than 110kph in a.... lets say... 1.1 Peugeot 206. Or a 99 Avensis for that matter. Especially on what are statistically the safest roads in the country. TBH if I was a passenger in any car(within reason) I would always choose a competent driver driving in excess of the speed limit over your average daily driver at the speed limit.Cop-on, reaction speeds, car and driving competence need to be considered before labelling/judging someone for driving over the speed limit. After all the ‘limit’ is there for the average car being driven by the average Joe. Anything outside of this is a matter of law, and there's a separate forum for that.

I agree with you. I just wonder if these "speeders" are the same people who take delight in pointing out other minor transgressions in other drivers.

In other words, you can't pick and choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I actually find speeders to be completely inconsiderate morons who have absolutely no idea of why speed limits exist. However the majority of those reasons don't exist on a motorway so I've very little problem with someone doing 140Kph on a motorway; assuming the road conditions are appropriate.

I actually find speeders to be completely inconsiderate morons who have absolutely no idea of why speed limits exist. However the majority of those reasons don't exist on a motorway so I've very little problem with someone doing 140Kph on a motorway; assuming the road conditions are appropriate.

Ahem...
    Jesus. wrote: »
    In other words, you can't pick and choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Ahem...

Ahem... You don't exist and therefore your opinions don't count, even if they did they'd be just that.

Still gonna celebrate your birthday though.

• Advertisement

:pac::p:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I put a video with compilation from Poland few pages back, but now I found links for all individual videos from that compilation - some of them I though were quite interesting.

1. Bus driver strikes a tunnel, and then after reversing he damages traffic lights.

2. Tram is in blind spot of an artic truck.

3. Quite unusual fender-bender

4. Why it's always worth having a good look around before going on green light. Watch from about 0:50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

He did. There were traffic lights, and he was on green (you can see in the right corner of the video that green light comes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

Yeah, that seems to be just a pedestrian crossing light.

But this sign does not apply when traffic lights are in operation.

OK, I'll explain.
    In Poland (and nearly everywhere on the Continent as far as I know), right of way on junctions is either decided by general law rules, road signs, traffic lights, or policeman directing traffic.
    Priority is in order I listed.
    So if there is junction without any signs, traffic lights, or policeman, then general rule of giving way to vehicles coming from the right apply.
    If there are road signs (establishing which road had priority), then you forget about general rule of giving way to vehicle coming from the right, but just obey the signs.
    If there are traffic lights, then you forget about general rule and the signs, and follow traffic light.
    And if there is policeman on the junction, you forget about anything above, and just obey his signals (f.e. if you have red light but policeman points you to go, then you just go).

Every single junction with traffic light, is equipped with traffic signs showing priority. This is just for case when traffic lights are off or broken. Then people need to obey traffic signs. But when traffic lights are in operation, then you discard the signs.

In that video, camera drive had green light, and clio driver was going on red.

Gosub wrote: »
    Yeah, that seems to be just a pedestrian crossing light.

No it's light for the whole junction.

Cinio, do you think it'd be just as safe to drive a 12 year old Corsa at 100mph as it would a new 5 series for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Cinio, do you think it'd be just as safe to drive a 12 year old Corsa at 100mph as it would a new 5 series for example?

Do you have a dashcam video to prove otherwise? Or is it just another attempt to ruin the dashcam thread? Genuine question btw.

• Advertisement

Does this question relate to any conversation recently, or is it just completely out of the blue??? :p Whatever...

IMO assuming the same road conditions, the same place, and the same driver with the same level of concentration, tiredness, etc, it will surely be safer in 5 series, just because it has better handling abilities, better braking, etc, and better crush zones and safety features in case accident happens.

On the other hand, safe speed will be different for everyone in every car and place.
    It depends on circumstances, like type of car, driver and his abilities, skills, concentration, tiredness, road conditions, traffic amount, visibility, and million other factors.

It's very possible, that certain driver in certain road conditions will be perfectly safe in 12 year old corsa at 100mph, while for other driver, doing 40mph in new 5 series will be a big hazard.

It's all very relative.

PS - my dad had 00 Corsa 1.0 (14 year old) and fastest I managed to do with it was 155km/h (according to speedo so in reality if was even less). Not that easy to find a corsa which will do 100mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Jonblack

getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/watch-terrifying-moment-car-driver-ks

dash cam saved this driver. you need to add www. as i can not post links

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

It won't work even with www added.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Chippy01

CiniO wrote: »
    He did. There were traffic lights, and he was on green (you can see in the right corner of the video that green light comes on.

No he didn't. Traffic lights or not, the cam-car was entering a major road from a minor road, through a Yield sign.
    Green does not mean GO, and go without care and attention; it means that you are allowed to proceed provided that it is safe to do so. In the cam-car's case, it certainly wasn't safe.
    Straight through a Yield without checking that it was safe (i.e. some idiot barrelling through a red light, which seems to be very common judging by some of the vids on this thread) puts the cam-car in the wrong.
    As for a police officer controlled junction, yes you would obey his directions; as I doubt he would let you proceed into the path of other vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Oh look a video
    (no mine just felt we needed a video in this thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Chippy01 wrote: »
    No he didn't. [...]

Yes he did!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

No he didn't. Traffic lights or not, the cam-car was entering a major road from a minor road, through a Yield sign.
    Green does not mean GO, and go without care and attention; it means that you are allowed to proceed provided that it is safe to do so. In the cam-car's case, it certainly wasn't safe.
    Straight through a Yield without checking that it was safe (i.e. some idiot barrelling through a red light, which seems to be very common judging by some of the vids on this thread) puts the cam-car in the wrong.
    As for a police officer controlled junction, yes you would obey his directions; as I doubt he would let you proceed into the path of other vehicles.

You are so wrong that I don't even know where to start.

There are plenty of junctions where the lights control the junction. If you ran a red light against a car that had a green light you are at fault.

The bit you are reffering to: provided that it is safe to do applies to every single road user, but it does not change who is at fault.

No he didn't.
    Are you really going to argue?
    Video is from Poland, so Polish law applies there. And believe me - I do know it.
    Traffic lights or not, the cam-car was entering a major road from a minor road, through a Yield sign.
    No he wasn't.
    As traffic lights are there, there's no major and minor roads. Car which had green light has a priority. Car which had red light doesn't have priority. That would be about it.
    Triangular sign "give way" is applicable only if traffic lights don't work.
    According to Polish law green light means you are allowed to drive through it. It doesn't say only if it's safe to do so.
    On the other hand indeed there's another law in relation to junctions, which obliges driver to take extra care and attention when driving through the junctions.

I agree with you that for camera car it wasn't safe to go, as some idiot was breaking the red light. If he was more careful, accident wouldn't happen, but it's hard to see everything, and normally you wouldn't really expect someone to break the red light.
    It doesn't put camera car in the wrong.
    It's very simple situation - two cars colliding at the junction. One had red light, other had green light. Fault is very clear, and it lies 100% on side of driver who had red light. Road signs are completely irrelevant in that case.
    And it's not really that common for drivers to be barrelling through red lights. Maybe through late-amber, but this clio driver definitely was going straight through red light.
    Well in short if you see policeman from his side it mean go. If you see policeman from front or back it means stop (same as green or red light). That way policeman can control traffic on junction by only twisting 90 degrees every minute or so.

And now question to you - I see you are of the opinion that in that video camera driver was at fault, as he went on green light through "yield" sign without checking for traffic coming.
    If there was no "yield" sign there at all, would you still be of the same opinion?

• Advertisement

Jonblack wrote: »
    getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/watch-terrifying-moment-car-driver-ks

dash cam saved this driver. you need to add www. as i can not post links
    Try this one.
    http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/watch-terrifying-moment-car-driver-7984426

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement