Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Juice diet detox

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

They're related in the sense that you can do neither and not be ill-informed.

You know how juicing affects you physically and mentally. You can't tell someone how it will affect them.

And overall, I find the benefits of eating the fruit and veg more beneficial for me.

If they are a human being, like myself, then I can tell them what is likely to happen to them through Juicing ........ I'd rather they just tried it for themselves though to really experience the health benefits.

How can you say you're diet is more beneficial to you than Juicing would be when, by your own admission, you haven't actually done it??? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

Maddog you are coming up with some outrageous stuff.

Eat the fruit and eat the veg. Have an odd juice if you can't do this but don't replace meals with juice.

http://sciencequestionswithchris.wordpress.com/2013/12/02/is-fruit-juice-healthier-than-whole-fruit/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,552 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Actually apple Juice contain poly-phenols which lower the rate of glucose absorption from our digestive tract which lessens the sugar load on our bloodstream resulting in better blood sugar regulation in our body.

Orange Juice contains citrus limonoids, beta carotene, folic acid, magnesium, potassium, thiamine, vitamin b6 and ,of course, plenty of vitamin c ........... not bad for one little fruit.

You have a peculiar way of almost totally ignoring the post you're quoting. Anyway thanks for the info on poly-phenols. I read a couple of journal articles around and it seems they can have an effect on glucose uptake but I got lost when they talked about sodium dependent and non-sodium dependent environments.

The second bit about oranges is true and also totally irrelevant to how much sugar they have.

As for the nauseating nonsense about how there is nothing a non-smoker can tell a smoker or nothing a non-juicer can tell a juicer. Why do we bother doing research on anything then? Why not just rely on human experience?

Bruno26 wrote: »

Eat the fruit and eat the veg. Have an odd juice if you can't do this but don't replace meals with juice.

http://sciencequestionswithchris.wordpress.com/2013/12/02/is-fruit-juice-healthier-than-whole-fruit/

Ah Bruno .......... haven't spoken to you since ........ well since you were banned :) Are you actually telling me what to do!?! :D

Don't think I'll bother conversing with you here, it didn't work out too well for you last time ........ see ya! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If they are a human being, like myself, then I can tell them what is likely to happen to them through Juicing ........ I'd rather they just tried it for themselves though to really experience the health benefits.

How can you say you're diet is more beneficial to you than Juicing would be when, by your own admission, you haven't actually done it??? :confused:

I have a brain. That's why I can say it.

You have a peculiar way of almost totally ignoring the post you're quoting. Anyway thanks for the info on poly-phenols. I read a couple of journal articles around and it seems they can have an effect on glucose uptake but I got lost when they talked about sodium dependent and non-sodium dependent environments.

The second bit about oranges is true and also totally irrelevant to how much sugar they have.

As for the nauseating nonsense about how there is nothing a non-smoker can tell a smoker or nothing a non-juicer can tell a juicer. Why do we bother doing research on anything then? Why not just rely on human experience?

I think it is relevant to mention what else is an orange if you we are going to talk about an orange ........ after all it would be biased to say "an orange has sugar in it" and leave it at that wouldn't it?

I didn't bring up the "smoking analogy", that was another poster, I simply responded .........

I would certainly trust human experience over research to be honest ........ in any case isn't a lot of research actually based on human experience???

I have a brain. That's why I can say it.

Just remember you're also speaking to someone with a brain ........ someone who is far more knowledgeable about Juicing than you are ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

Anyway I do smoke (on and off these days) so I actually know how smoking effects you physically and mentally ......... you can't tell a smoker anything about smoking that he/she doesn't already know and know better than a non-smoker.

So you can't know anything about anything unless you yourself do that thing?

Okay, so a respiratory consultant can't hope to know anything about the damage smoking does to your lungs unless he smokes.
    An oncologist can't hope to know anything about tumours unless he himself has a tumour. A virologist can't hope to know anything unless he has the virus in question. That's the level of logic you are using here and points to you being un-educated more so than anything else.

I think it is relevant to mention what else is an orange if you we are going to talk about an orange ........ after all it would be biased to say "an orange has sugar in it" and leave it at that wouldn't it?

I didn't bring up the "smoking analogy", that was another poster, I simply responded .........

I would certainly trust human experience over research to be honest ........ in any case isn't a lot of research actually based on human experience???

Have it your way maddog. The sugar in juicing doesn't count as its nautral and if we want to crack cold fusion or cure cancer we'll just send the researchers to you for an interview. That should be all we need.

Good night and good luck

OP dont mind doing a 3 day detox. It's very hard to find research suggesting there is any truth to the 'detoxing' that can be done in 3 days. Its basically just a calorie restricted diet for 3 days. If you want to 'detox' before Xmas, just eat more fruit and veg.

• Advertisement

SeaDaily wrote: »
    So you can't know anything about anything unless you yourself do that thing?

Okay, so a respiratory consultant can't hope to know anything about the damage smoking does to your lungs unless he smokes.
    An oncologist can't hope to know anything about tumours unless he himself has a tumour. A virologist can't hope to know anything unless he has the virus in question. That's the level of logic you are using here and points to you being un-educated more so than anything else.

Ah ............ Bruno's mate!! :D

I didn't say that, what I said was ......... ah forget it, don't think I'll bother conversing with you either ......... been there, done that :rolleyes:

I would certainly trust human experience over research to be honest

Your lack of an education is showing...

Have it your way maddog. The sugar in juicing doesn't count as its nautral and if we want to crack cold fusion or cure cancer we'll just send the researchers to you for an interview. That should be all we need.

Good night and good luck

OP dont mind doing a 3 day detox. It's very hard to find research suggesting there is any truth to the 'detoxing' that can be done in 3 days. Its basically just a calorie restricted diet for 3 days. If you want to 'detox' before Xmas, just eat more fruit and veg.

Thank you!! :)

OP you don't need research .......... do it yourself and you'll see for yourself, good luck and enjoy!

Ah ............ Bruno's mate!! :D

I didn't say that, what I said was ......... ah forget it, don't think I'll bother conversing with you either ......... been there, done that :rolleyes:

Ah yes, classic. You've been proven to be talking nonsense so you decide you don't want to discuss it any more. Very childish.

SeaDaily wrote: »
    Your lack of an education is showing...

Why would you need an education when you could juice? Looks to me like juicing makes you a know all! Nothing to be gained by conversing with the like of you... mumble mumble... what do they know about the world... mumble mumble... they probably never juiced a day in their lives...

Why would you need an education when you could juice? Looks to me like juicing makes you a know all! Nothing to be gained by conversing with the like of you... mumble mumble... what do they know about the world... mumble mumble... they probably never juiced a day in their lives...

The only way to be educated in Juicing is to Juice .......... and it kinda does make you a know-it-all .......... when it comes to Juicing that is ;)

• Advertisement

The only way to be educated in Juicing is to Juice .......... and it kinda does make you a know-it-all .......... when it comes to Juicing that is ;)

No, It gives you an opinion based on your experience. You told me about poly-phenol earlier and I looked up the research to confirm it. I presume you know that the research I looked up didn't involve giving a guy a juice drink and asking his opinion on glucose absorption... right? If it wasn't for the research you wouldn't know a poly-phenol from polythene Pam.

No, It gives you an opinion based on your experience. You told me about poly-phenol earlier and I looked up the research to confirm it. I presume you know that the research I looked up didn't involve giving a guy a juice drink and asking his opinion on glucose absorption... right? If it wasn't for the research you wouldn't know a poly-phenol from polythene Pam.

Even if I/we didn't know what was in vegetable/fruit Juices and why it has the effect it does on humans it wouldn't change the benefits you experience through Juicing ......... research is nice but not always necessary.

Me telling you how great Juicing makes you feel isn't good enough for you ........... you need/want research "proof" so I gave you some ....... you're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Paddywiggum

if the OP is still around....

forget the idea of 'juice detox' or any other gimmick. If you want to detox i.e. cleanse your body, then your liver is your friend. To give your liver a hand drink lots of water, 3 to 4 litres a day. Combine with staying away from processed food and alcohol for a few days.

Just remember you're also speaking to someone with a brain ........ someone who is far more knowledgeable about Juicing than you are ;)

More experienced, yes.

More knowledgeable? You have no idea.

forget the idea of 'juice detox' or any other gimmick. If you want to detox i.e. cleanse your body, then your liver is your friend. To give your liver a hand drink lots of water, 3 to 4 litres a day. Combine with staying away from processed food and alcohol for a few days.

Good advice regarding the water and staying away from processed food & alcohol.

OP give your liver an extra hand by drinking freshly extracted fruit/vegetable Juices as well as taking on some of Paddywiggum's advice ..........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Even if I/we didn't know what was in vegetable/fruit Juices and why it has the effect it does on humans it wouldn't change the benefits you experience through Juicing ......... research is nice but not always necessary.

Me telling you how great Juicing makes you feel isn't good enough for you ........... you need/want research "proof" so I gave you some ....... you're welcome.

I juiced for three days in a row and got diabetes. That is 'true' as I experienced it. If experience is all you value you have to place as much trust in my claim as your own.

Can someone here please define 'detox' for me?

More experienced, yes.

More knowledgeable? You have no idea.

So now you're saying you are more knowledgeable than me when it comes to Juicing!?! :D

You, by your own admission, have never even tried it!!!! :D:D:D

I juiced for three days in a row and got diabetes. That is 'true' as I experienced it. If experience is all you value you have to place as much trust in my claim as your own.

Can someone here please define 'detox' for me?

You "got" diabetes because you drank Juice for three days ........... is that really what you're saying!?! :D

OP give your liver an extra hand by drinking freshly extracted fruit/vegetable Juices as well as taking on some of Paddywiggum's advice ..........

Juicing is a process. Saying 'stay away from processed food' and 'drink fruit and vegetable juice' is contradictory.

Which is it? drink fruit/vegetable juice or don't eat processed foods? because it can't be both.

You "got" diabetes because you drank Juice for three days ........... is that really what you're saying!?! :D

Yes. You might have read that that can't happen, but I've experienced it.

So now you're saying you are more knowledgeable than me when it comes to Juicing!?! :D

You, by your own admission, have never even tried it!!!! :D:D:D

Again, you don't need to try something to know about it. And I never claimed to know more than anyone about anything. I said you have no basis for claiming to get more knowledgeable.

What you 'know' is your experience.

Knowledge =/= experience.

But look, good luck with it. I'll do what works for me, you do what works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 tealcottage

Juc

Juicing is a process. Saying 'stay away from processed food' and 'drink fruit and vegetable juice' is contradictory.

Which is it? drink fruit/vegetable juice or don't eat processed foods? because it can't be both.

So exactly what "processed foods" were you advising the OP to avoid ......... and what alternative food were you advising the OP to eat .......... or were you advising the OP to just drink water??? :confused:

Yes. You might have read that that can't happen, but I've experienced it.

Good man yourself ........... get well soon :)

Again, you don't need to try something to know about it. And I never claimed to know more than anyone about anything. I said you have no basis for claiming to get more knowledgeable.

What you 'know' is your experience.

Knowledge =/= experience.

But look, good luck with it. I'll do what works for me, you do what works for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Paddywiggum

nope just water will do.

but to wade in on this....

no fruit < juicing < whole fruit.

nope just water will do.

but to wade in on this....

Just water?? That's starvation ......... not good advice at all :(

Just whole fruit?? What about all the "sugar"!!??!!!

Ok ......... so my advice to the OP differs from yours then :)

Ah Bruno .......... haven't spoken to you since ........ well since you were banned :) Are you actually telling me what to do!?! :D

Don't think I'll bother conversing with you here, it didn't work out too well for you last time ........ see ya! ;)

Not telling you- telling others. You've been brainwashed. Your posts about juicing are simply false. Your smiley faces make them appear even more ridiculous. You get the best parts of fruit and veg from eating them whole- this is fact.
    I actually did the juicing craze years ago after discovering Jason Vale. Thankfully I saw sense. As for juice satisfying your appetite that is total bull.

So exactly what "processed foods" were you advising the OP to avoid ......... and what alternative food were you advising the OP to eat .......... or were you advising the OP to just drink water??? :confused:

I've never once advised anyone to avoid 'processed food', it's a meaningless term. If you wash a food it's processed, if you package food it's processed. Certain foods contain toxins that can only be eliminated through cooking/heating/sterilised - all forms of processing, telling people not to eat processed food is the height of stupidity.
    Good man yourself ........... get well soon :)

I started eating whole foods, I'm cured.

Not telling you- telling others. You've been brainwashed. Your posts about juicing are simply false. Your smiley faces make them appear even more ridiculous. You get the best parts of fruit and veg from eating them whole- this is fact.
    I actually did the juicing craze years ago after discovering Jason Vale. Thankfully I saw sense. As for juice satisfying your appetite that is total bull.

:p

Just whole fruit?? What about all the "sugar"!!??!!!

You still don't understand the sugar discussion. The point was that the sugar in fruits is treated the same as table sugar, not that table sugar is as good as fruit.,

Aaaaaaaaand that's a wrap, folks.

:p

The juice continues to decrease your maturity.

You didn't supply the evidence. The researchers supplied the evidence. You're using words you don't understand and I'm kind of embarrassed for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Iv juiced ... not as a way of eliminating meals but I have juiced ... nada difference here and I did it for a while in order to increase my F/G intake .... juicing doesn't satiate my appetite ... So, in essence, my intake increased and my solid food intake stayed the same as it didnt fill me.

I much prefer to chew and sit and enjoy me F/G and all other food. That makes me satisfied.

It's utterly ridiculous to claim that one persons experience stands for more people. Food and satiety and nutrition as a science is in its infancy and different people prefer and react and thrive om different things in different manners.

Oh ... and it's pretty much FACT (you know - PROVEN, not anecdotal) that one of the many things the liver and kidney do are 'detox' (hate that word - made up to make people buy into things like in order to feel good and holistic - fantastic marketing and branding efforts). Juicing doesn't help detox. Yes, go ahead and juice veg - it's good but its not better than eating it whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

When you drink fresh-made Juice, it is almost like receiving an intravenous infusion of vitamins, minerals, and enzymes because they go straight into your system without having to be broken down.
    Drinking your juice first thing in the morning can give you a natural energy boost without resorting to stimulants like coffee. Since the juice is already in an easily digestible form, it can help revitalize your energy levels within as little as 20 minutes… and this is only the beginning of its benefits.
    Juicing helps you absorb all the nutrients from the fruit and vegetables. This is important because most of us have impaired digestion as a result of making less-than-optimal food choices over many years. This limits your body's ability to absorb all the nutrients from the fruits and vegetables. Juicing will help to "pre-digest" them for you, so you will receive most of the nutrition, rather than having it go down the toilet.
    Juicing allows you to consume a healthier amount of fruits and vegetables in an efficient manner. Virtually every health authority recommends that we get six to eight servings of vegetables and fruits per day and very few of us actually get that. Juicing is an easy way to virtually guarantee that you will reach your daily target for vegetables.
    You can add a wider variety of fruits and vegetables in your diet. Many people eat the same vegetables, salads or fruits every day. This violates the principle of regular food rotation and increases your chance of developing an allergy to a certain food.
    Plus, it limits the number of different phytochemicals in your diet, as each vegetable and fruit will offer unique benefits. With juicing, you can Juice a wide variety of vegetables that you may not normally enjoy eating whole.
    Additionally, Juicing can help promote weight loss. In one study, adults who drank at least 250mls of vegetable and fruit Juice as part of a diet lost four pounds over 12 weeks, while those who followed the same diet but did not drink the Juice lost only one pound. The fruit and vegetable Juice drinkers also significantly increased their intake of vitamin C and potassium, while decreasing their overall carbohydrate intake.
    Juicing boosts your immune system by supercharging it with concentrated phytochemicals. Raw juice also contains biophotonic light energy, which can help revitalize your body.
    Juicing increases your energy. When your body has an abundance of the nutrients it needs, and your pH is optimally balanced, you feel energized. Since it can be utilized by your body immediately, those of us who Juice feel the "kick" of energy almost instantly.
    Juicing supports your brain health. People who drink Juices (fruit and vegetable) more than three times per week, compared to less than once a week, were 76 percent less likely to develop Alzheimer's disease, according to Medical research.

you mention biophotonic light energy?
    What exactly does that mean in dietary terms? The digestive system doesn't receive any light source?

I've been turning my diet around to improve my health and the advice I've been following is to eat plenty of vegetables and not too much fruit (have it as a treat) and avoid juicing because the insoluble fibre is also important to gut health. Also the calories are on the high side apart from the sugar. That is because a glass of juice contains the sugar of multiple fruits.

I've never once advised anyone to avoid 'processed food', it's a meaningless term. If you wash a food it's processed, if you package food it's processed. Certain foods contain toxins that can only be eliminated through cooking/heating/sterilised - all forms of processing, telling people not to eat processed food is the height of stupidity.

I started eating whole foods, I'm cured.

Eh ......... it was Paddywiggum who advised not eating "processed foods" .......... he just called you stupid Paddy, you gonna take that?? :)

You still don't understand the sugar discussion. The point was that the sugar in fruits is treated the same as table sugar, not that table sugar is as good as fruit.,

I don't misunderstand you ........... I just don't agree with you

You didn't supply the evidence. The researchers supplied the evidence. You're using words you don't understand and I'm kind of embarrassed for you.

The researchers supplied the evidence ......... which I then gave to you .......... is that the best you can come up with? :rolleyes:

Iv juiced ... not as a way of eliminating meals but I have juiced ... nada difference here and I did it for a while in order to increase my F/G intake .... juicing doesn't satiate my appetite ... So, in essence, my intake increased and my solid food intake stayed the same as it didnt fill me.

I much prefer to chew and sit and enjoy me F/G and all other food. That makes me satisfied.

It's utterly ridiculous to claim that one persons experience stands for more people. Food and satiety and nutrition as a science is in its infancy and different people prefer and react and thrive om different things in different manners.

Oh ... and it's pretty much FACT (you know - PROVEN, not anecdotal) that one of the many things the liver and kidney do are 'detox' (hate that word - made up to make people buy into things like in order to feel good and holistic - fantastic marketing and branding efforts). Juicing doesn't help detox. Yes, go ahead and juice veg - it's good but its not better than eating it whole.

I'm not talking about Juicing in the way you have Juiced ........ it's more of a lifestyle for me not just dipping my toe in the water so to speak.

Just to clarify, I never said Juice "detoxes" the body ............

• Advertisement

Eh ......... it was Paddywiggum who advised not eating "processed foods" .......... he just called you stupid Paddy, you gonna take that?? :)

A bit immature.

Are you going to answer my previous question?

Should someone drink fruit/vegetable juice or avoid processed food?

Oh, speaking of stupid;
    When you drink fresh-made Juice, it is almost like receiving an intravenous infusion of vitamins, minerals, and enzymes because they go straight into your system without having to be broken down.

Drinking your juice first thing in the morning can give you a natural energy boost without resorting to stimulants like coffee.

Since the juice is already in an easily digestible form, it can help revitalize your energy levels within as little as 20 minutes… and this is only the beginning of its benefits.

Juicing helps you absorb all the nutrients from the fruit and vegetables. This is important because most of us have impaired digestion as a result of making less-than-optimal food choices over many years. This limits your body's ability to absorb all the nutrients from the fruits and vegetables.

Juicing will help to "pre-digest" them for you, so you will receive most of the nutrition, rather than having it go down the toilet.

Many people eat the same vegetables, salads or fruits every day. This violates the principle of regular food rotation and increases your chance of developing an allergy to a certain food.

Additionally, Juicing can help promote weight loss. In one study, adults who drank at least 250mls of vegetable and fruit Juice as part of a diet lost four pounds over 12 weeks, while those who followed the same diet but did not drink the Juice lost only one pound. The fruit and vegetable Juice drinkers also significantly increased their intake of vitamin C and potassium, while decreasing their overall carbohydrate intake.

Juicing boosts your immune system by supercharging it with concentrated phytochemicals.

Raw juice also contains biophotonic light energy, which can help revitalize your body.

Juicing increases your energy. When your body has an abundance of the nutrients it needs, and your pH is optimally balanced, you feel energized.

Since it can be utilized by your body immediately, those of us who Juice feel the "kick" of energy almost instantly.

Every line here is stupid, pseudo-scientific, Dr. Oz & Oprah worthy claims made to con gullible folk.

I don't misunderstand you ........... I just don't agree with you

You mean you don't agree with biology. What reasons do you have to believe that fructose isn't converted to glucose in the liver?

The researchers supplied the evidence ......... which I then gave to you .......... is that the best you can come up with? :rolleyes:

Yeah you really aren't keeping up with the discussion at this point. It was about how you think your anecdotes are evidence while back in reality the actual evidence comes from the research... never mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

aside from cherry picking some web MD articles do you have any sources for these fruit claims.

All I can seem to find are articles stating there is no measured benefit to juicing fruit instead of eating it.

The only benefit, it seems, is that the sugars and other nutrients are absorbed faster. Personally I don't see that as a benefit as long as they are absorbed. Since my body is processing food 24 hours a day and storing and utilising fats proteins vitamins sugars on a constant basis the rate of their absorption doesn't seem to matter, if its an hour or 3 hours. until it is something urgent, such as immediately after exercise to revive energy stores, or if im on the brink of starvation I don't think it makes much difference. however, as stated a lot of the vitamins we need are fat soluble and even though they are digested fast they aren't used or stored by the body unless they are taken with fats. So cooking or serving with some healthy fats will actually be more beneficial.

Drawbacks however, included: increased sugar intake, over consumption of calories, insulin spikes, lack of protein and fibre leading to increased appetite. as well as the inconvenience of purchasing expensive juicers and cleaning of them. Incorrect cleaning, according to the Food and Drug Administration, can, lead to foodborne illness. All raw food can harbor pathogens that cause vomiting, diarrhea, and in worst case scenarios conditions like E.coli, hepatitis, and even kidney failure.

The main reason the OP wanted to start juicing was for a detox, and since our body is a self-regulating system it is more than capable of removing the toxins from even the most abused bodies in a matter of days the detox benefit is entirely fabricated. No-one has ever shown that your body needs assistance in detoxing itself.

if you want ot juice for 3 days well you're an adult you can make decisions yourself, personally I think its a bit of a hassle and expense and the time and effort will be better served actually eating some veg. By all means juice if you want some juice, but don't try to convince yourself that it will turn your life around just cos some quack who wants to sell an eBook tells you so.

Drawbacks however, included: increased sugar intake, over consumption of calories, insulin spikes, lack of protein and fibre leading to increased appetite. as well as the inconvenience of purchasing expensive juicers and cleaning of them. Incorrect cleaning, according to the Food and Drug Administration, can, lead to foodborne illness. All raw food can harbor pathogens that cause vomiting, diarrhea, and in worst case scenarios conditions like E.coli, hepatitis, and even kidney failure.

Many nutrients are in found in the skin of fruits which aren't present in the juice.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement