Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Hate it cooked but love raw turnip.

Anyone else like raw turnip? ANYONE? :)

My little sister would probably eat an entire raw turnip if she came across one peeled & diced. I'm not a big fan of it raw or cooked, even roasted in a fancy way, all just tastes of being 4 and getting a mouthful of mashed disappointment!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BaZmO* wrote: »
    It does make you wonder why Irish Mammies, in their infinite wisdom, spent so much time and energy trying to get their children to eat stuff that they didn't like.

Not always.
    I remember an educated mummy (she was very much a mummy as opposed to a mammy) declaring that as her son doesn't like sandwiches, she had no choice but to give him sweets for lunch.

Roast turnip is quote nice.
    Did turnip three ways with haggis not so long ago.
    Turnip rosti - large white turnip rather than yellow swede.
    Pickled turnip - small white turnip.
    Turnip with honey and thyme - small white ones again.

Not always.
    I remember an educated mummy (she was very much a mummy as opposed to a mammy) declaring that as her son doesn't like sandwiches, she had no choice but to give him sweets for lunch.

Well that's going to end well! Wish my mam had been the type to fall for that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

I love turnip. My mother-in-law cooks it perfectly and I get brownie points for eating it while everyone else moans. I don't think I'd like it in mashed potato though.

Anyone have turnip and carrots mashed together?? Its just lovely with a nice bit of butter! Yum! Raw turnip is lovely too!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

My dad cooks the best turnip - he boils it in with the bacon.

My mother never hid turnip in mash, but she did put parsnip in stews and swear blind they were potatoes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Ugh turnip!!! Turnip mash is the reason I will only eat green veg now. Mam thinks I’m a weirdo for only eating green veg but she made me this way dammit!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Mashed turnip with nutmeg and cream was a favourite in our house growing up!
    As is roasted turnip, with some honey or balsamic vinegar on it.

I presumed everyone loves turnip. I didn't realise it got a bad rep in some quarters!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Sweartagad I'm never letting another turnip pass my lips. Boiled into the middle of the next century is how we used to get them and I'm now just DONE with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    That's the same link I posted above

Great minds Mrs. F! :) Missed that so apologies!xx

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

fiddlechic wrote: »
    Mashed turnip with nutmeg and cream was a favourite in our house growing up!
    As is roasted turnip, with some honey or balsamic vinegar on it.

I presumed everyone loves turnip. I didn't realise it got a bad rep in some quarters!

Oh never heard of nutmed added to it - that sounds lovely!! Going to add that to the Christmas dinner list!

I know, alot of turnip hate here! If it was parsnip I could understand it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Vivisectus

Emergency and crisis! The wife has to go on a vegetarian / piscetarian diet for health reasons. The kids are exempt, but I must do my husbandly duty and join in to show support.

I shall start with a lovely grilled salmon with teriyaki glaze served on some nice noodles with slivers of pepper, chillies, green bean, been sprouts, water chestnuts and mushrooms, flavoured with a bit of sesame oil and soy sauce.

The problem is, my veggy repertoire is an absolute disgrace. Do we have any veggy chefs here to help me out?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Faith wrote: »
    I make the best mashed potatoes around -- in Ireland. It's not like this is the first time in my entire life I've attempted mash. Read back and you'll see that I'm having trouble because A) I'm using different varieties of potatoes that I've never used or even eaten before, and B) I'm using an entirely different technique than I'm used to (boiling versus steaming). No need to be "astounded" that in a new kitchen in a new country with new utensils, new ingredients and new methods that I needed to ask advice on a previously straightforward dish ;).

boards.ca doesn't exist :pac:. I think the other boards were dropped a few years ago?

I have to agree with Bazmo about turnip in mash - no!!

I realise I'm a bit late to the party, but I usually cheat when making mash.

I peel the tatties, cut them into 2cm cubes, put them into a plastic bowl, add a bit of water (just covering the bottom of the bowl), place a plate on top and pop it all into the microwave for about 12 minutes.
    They come out ready to be mashed up.

I'm kind of the opposite to you, I come from a country with firm potatoes and haven't yet figured out how to boil those Irish bags o'flour properly.
    The above works for all types of potato.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

* stands up *

"Hi. I'm the Hill Billy, & I love mashed potatoes & turnip."

:o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Vivisectus wrote: »
    Emergency and crisis! The wife has to go on a vegetarian / piscetarian diet for health reasons. The kids are exempt, but I must do my husbandly duty and join in to show support.

I shall start with a lovely grilled salmon with teriyaki glaze served on some nice noodles with slivers of pepper, chillies, green bean, been sprouts, water chestnuts and mushrooms, flavoured with a bit of sesame oil and soy sauce.

The problem is, my veggy repertoire is an absolute disgrace. Do we have any veggy chefs here to help me out?

*raises hand*

10 years a vegetarian and still chubby :)

What kinds of food does she like? Any particular dislikes or allergies?

I've become a huge fan of all things bean-y and pulse-y since becoming vegetarian - how about a pumpkin and chickpea curry (nice and seasonal)?

Out of interest, are you guys actually referring to turnips or swedes? Mr. Merkin is from Laandaaan and takes the piss out of me and all other Irish people for confusing the two :o

Merkin wrote: »
    Out of interest, are you guys actually referring to turnips or swedes? Mr. Merkin is from Laandaaan and takes the piss out of me and all other Irish people for confusing the two :o
    I hate both tbh. Isnt a turnip the round one?

Mr Tilly is from laandaan too and wants me to make him coddle tomorrow. I've explained what it is and shown him pics and he still wants it. Imma gonna make him eat every last bit :)

Yeah the turnips are the little rotund pinkish fellows while swedes are the big purple knobbly ones. I have always called swedes just turnip but I'm reliably informed that this is in fact wrong. I still insist on calling it turnip.

Very funny on the coddle, he'll probably love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Turnips are the huge round ones that cattle will eat, swedes are the odd shaped/triangular-y ones that are purple and yellow.

We boil it until just cooked in some stock. But we grow our own and won't eat it until the frost hits them at night as it changes the flavour.

Now I'm off to look at the soup thread as I need to cook before a tooth is out on Monday!:(

They're all turnips to me. Although I do sometimes call them mangle wurzel's which is for comic affect & also a complete misunderstanding of what a mangle wurzel is.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

BaZmO* wrote: »
    How something is cooked makes a huge difference too. Boiling the bejaysis out of vegetables doesn't make them taste great!

This was the default cooking method of The Irish Mammy I think. OH's mother goes one step further and boils every veg dry until they burn the pot. No wonder the man hated* vegetables.
    kylith wrote: »
    My dad cooks the best turnip - he boils it in with the bacon.

My mother never hid turnip in mash, but she did put parsnip in stews and swear blind they were potatoes.

My mother never needed to hide the veggies as we did like them and she could cook them properly but would give us Mystery Meat and not tell us what it was until we ate it all. It was usually tongue or heart. :(

Turnip with a knob of butter and pepper is lovely.

*not really anymore as I cook them properly. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Hate it cooked but love raw turnip.

Anyone else like raw turnip? ANYONE? :)

ME! I love it - it's much nicer than raw carrot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Sometimes the outer bits can be a bit tough raw; but the more moist and orange inner bits are fabulous.

My folks grew their own, and their turnips raw are great. Tesco's, not so much.

My favourite way to do turnip - put it in the magimix raw and whiz it up into tiny pieces. Then boil in water, when soft and it only takes a few minutes, drain, and add a little sea salt, black pepper, grated nutmeg and cream (during the week milk does the job!).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I like turnip mashed with carrot.

*cowers.....

I used to like you :(

Little sister's colleague once told her that turnip needs to be boiled for 'at least' an hour and a half. Either it's a seriously tough vegetable that I don't understand because I don't prepare it or little sister's colleagues kids are getting some old school mammy style dinners of colourless mush

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Little sister's colleague once told her that turnip needs to be boiled for 'at least' an hour and a half. Either it's a seriously tough vegetable that I don't understand because I don't prepare it or little sister's colleagues kids are getting some old school mammy style dinners of colourless mush

I think thats the correct length of time to boil a shoe. Easy mistake to make I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Made turnip for the kids this evening. To be honest they are ok...roasted in the oven with olive oil and butter. "What are these Da Da?" I was immediately asked. "Eh....new potatoes" says I. 3 seconds later...."Da Da, I don't like those potatoes" !!!!!!!

Loire wrote: »
    Made turnip for the kids this evening. To be honest they are ok...roasted in the oven with olive oil and butter. "What are these Da Da?" I was immediately asked. "Eh....new potatoes" says I. 3 seconds later...."Da Da, I don't like those potatoes" !!!!!!!

Ah, so Irish dads do it too :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Looking for some recommendations please folks, will be in Dublin with himself in a few weeks, we're looking to go to Asador - is it better for lunch or dinner? Never been before so haven't a notion about the place, but read mixed reviews online before so wanted to ask some boardsies opinions/thoughts.

We're also looking to visit another restaurant, somewhere reasonably priced, centrally located that has a decent menu and does awesome chicken wings.

We've been to the Elephant and Castle and loved it, esp their wings, but it was expensive for what it is (in our opinion) so we're looking for somewhere cheaper.

We've been to Bison, Elephant & Castle, Captain Americas, Milanos and Luigi Malones, so would rather not go back to those places :o

All recommendations appreciated. :)

• Advertisement

I think the food is great for lunch & dinner in Asador but it is a little pricey so could be better to go for lunch. Don't normally get wings out so no help there unfortunately :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement