Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Radio 1 on 252!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Antenna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Longwave Listener

The elephant in the room here is nobody living in the uk pays a licence fee to RTE. Running a 300kw longwave transmitter so that a few hundred oaps in manchester can listen to Ceili House is hardly the best use of tax payers money. The protests also have an air of rent a mob about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Infoanon

The elephant in the room here is nobody living in the uk pays a licence fee to RTE. Running a 300kw longwave transmitter so that a few hundred oaps in manchester can listen to Ceili House is hardly the best use of tax payers money. The protests also have an air of rent a mob about them.

Nobody in Ireland pays a licence fee to the BBC to listen to BBC4 or 5live etc

RTE 1 extra does not have anything close to full coverage while FM is only 98% coverage so its a lot more than 'a few hundred oaps'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

It's a TV licence we pay for, not a radio licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Infoanon wrote: »
    Nobody in Ireland pays a licence fee to the BBC to listen to BBC4 or 5live etc

RTE 1 extra does not have anything close to full coverage while FM is only 98% coverage so its a lot more than 'a few hundred oaps'

We don't but we have no more right or entitlement to a service from the BBC than people in the UK have to get RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Infoanon

padd b1975 wrote: »
    It's a TV licence we pay for, not a radio licence.

Its called a TV licence but is also used to fund radio services.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Infoanon wrote: »
    Its called a TV licence but is also used to fund radio services.

If you own a radio but don't own a TV, you don't need a licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

padd b1975 wrote: »
    If you own a radio but don't own a TV, you don't need a licence.

RTE radio is funded by money collected via the TV licence.

Wasting money on lw is a waste of TV licence money.

I think it's a bit hypocritical for the Irish to be complaining about the British receiving Radio 1 on LW when we've been leeching their TV and radio for the last 60 years.

I was using the RTE Radio Player on a bus earlier. Not long after I entered open country, my phone switched to 2G/EDGE and therefore couldn't buffer the stream due to insufficient bandwidth. More proof that internet radio is not viable for reception on the move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Karsini wrote: »
    I think it's a bit hypocritical for the Irish to be complaining about the British receiving Radio 1 on LW when we've been leeching their TV and radio for the last 60 years.

Nobody has been complaining about the British receiving Radio 1.:eek:
    Nor have anyone here been "leeching" their TV and radio. It's there for all to receive at no detriment to the supplier.
    To leech is to attach oneself to another for personal gain or to drain from the source.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

More proof that internet radio is not viable for reception on the move.

Nobody said it was.......

As a matter of interest, how was reception on LW on your phone?

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Nobody said it was.......

As a matter of interest, how was reception on LW on your phone?

RTE seem to think it is. I'm guessing you're picking on me with that last comment. :rolleyes:

In any case, a cheap portable radio could deliver continuous reception where a €700 smartphone cannot.

Nobody has been complaining about the British receiving Radio 1.:eek:
    Nor have anyone here been "leeching" their TV and radio. It's there for all to receive at no detriment to the supplier.
    To leech is to attach oneself to another for personal gain or to drain from the source.:rolleyes:
    Do we pay a UK licence fee? No we don't.

RTE seem to think it is. I'm guessing you're picking on me with that last comment. :rolleyes:

In any case, a cheap portable radio could deliver continuous reception where a €700 smartphone cannot.

More fool you for buying a 700 Euro smartfone:p

Seriously, show me a quote from RTE where they say you can listen to Radio 1 continuously on the move listening to a stream.

Do we pay a UK licence fee? No we don't.

I know we don't. What's your point?

So Infoanon can make the same point as me and not be ganged up on? I know I'm not wanted here so I'm out.

So Infoanon can make the same point as me and not be ganged up on? I know I'm not wanted here so I'm out.
    You made a couple of points that I don't agree with. There's no been ganged up on.
    Infoanon has been challenged on his points by others.

I think the point is that because we don't pay the UK licence fee, we would have no right to tell bbc what they should or should not be broadcasting.

Ditto people in Britain can't expect to tell RTE how to spend Irish TV licence money.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭shaunandelly

Now that rte have strangely given in to a few complaints (probably all from cranks) and postponed the switch off untill January 19th, What can they really do in that time ? Put R1 on freeview ? give aid to irish oaps in uk to install freesat ? give aid to them to buy a smartphone ?

"Probably all from cranks" kinda stops any valid points you may have made after that.Shame really. Although....go on. I wonder what the revenue stream would be for r1 on freeview and what is International thinking on maintaining a long distance radio footprint? There must be net benefits. Or is it just a case of short termism above all?

"Probably all from cranks" kinda stops any valid points you may have made after that.Shame really. Although....go on. I wonder what the revenue stream would be for r1 on freeview and what is International thinking on maintaining a long distance radio footprint? There must be net benefits. Or is it just a case of short termism above all?

What sort of net benefits? I can think of none.

Not sure short termism is a good description,
    LW has been on the way out for many years, it's not like RTE are failing to plan for the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 realistic anorak

At the end of the day Fart TE have only got themselves to blame, Why did they launch a longwave service and purchase longwave Infrastructure in the mid and late 2000s ? It was hardly the way of the future.... As for a few gombeen politicians and lobby groups jumping up and down, Rte most have expected that would happen surely ??? Whenever eircom withdraws a payphone that hasnt been used since 1998, Paschal Mooney or Mattie McGrath will issue a statement calling it another attack on the vulnerable

At the end of the day Fart TE have only got themselves to blame, Why did they launch a longwave service and purchase longwave Infrastructure in the mid and late 2000s ? It was hardly the way of the future.... As for a few gombeen politicians and lobby groups jumping up and down, Rte most have expected that would happen surely ??? Whenever eircom withdraws a payphone that hasnt been used since 1998, Paschal Mooney or Mattie McGrath will issue a statement calling it another attack on the vulnerable

The infrastructure was already there; RTE were majority shareholders in Atlantic 252.

Agree re gombeen politicians though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The replacement will have paid for itself in reduced power costs since it was put in so its not a valid stick for a beating attempt.

MYOB wrote: »
    The replacement will have paid for itself in reduced power costs since it was put in so its not a valid stick for a beating attempt.

I know that but my point is that had they kept the old A252 rigs they would now have a much stronger argument for closing them on environmental/cost/age grounds. RTE say the listenership for Radio 1 on lw is very low. When was it ever not very low ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I know that but my point is that had they kept the old A252 rigs they would now have a much stronger argument for closing them on environmental/cost/age grounds. RTE say the listenership for Radio 1 on lw is very low. When was it ever not very low ?

If its not viable now it'd have ceased being viable on the 1980s gear many years ago - so it really is of zero relevance to the debate how long ago the kit was replaced.

MYOB wrote: »
    If its not viable now it'd have ceased being viable on the 1980s gear many years ago - so it really is of zero relevance to the debate how long ago the kit was replaced.

The american woman who has the save RTE LW252 online petition and facebook page is always pointing out the young age of the rig and how the running cost is only 250k per year. I suppose 250k per year is not huge money, but if the cost was 900k in 2011, how is it fallen to 250k now ?

The american woman who has the save RTE LW252 online petition and facebook page is always pointing out the young age of the rig and how the running cost is only 250k per year. I suppose 250k per year is not huge money, but if the cost was 900k in 2011, how is it fallen to 250k now ?

I've wondered the same. There will have been a saving in electricity due to the power decrease, but not that much. So where are the other savings? Perhaps a better deal with 2RN on maintainence?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

possibly they were paying off the most of capital cost of the thing over a few years or taking a heavier hit on depreciation, so the first couple of years could include something of the actual upgrade cost, whereas now it might be little or no capital repayments/ depreciation.

If someone would post the accounts then we could have a look at them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Longwave Listener

Is it just me or is there a kind of an irony in an online petition ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

RTE R1 252 seemed to be on lower power earlier. Now being wiped out by Algeria here -> http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/

Advertisement