Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Started playing tales of phantasia on my phone for something to do when I get bored. It came out on the GBA originally, its a cracking little game! 40 hours into it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,823 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Correction, it was a SNES game first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Correction, it was a SNES game first.

I'll be damned, so it was! Great little game anyway. Wanted to get a bit more into the tales series so thought I'd start from the beginning and see what their roots were :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,823 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I can see how it could catch you out. It came on a weird cart with tonnes of memory and a special chip for decrypting the compressed data on the cart. He'll it had a full vocal opening theme, something that you don't expect from a snes game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Well I can see how it could catch you out. It came on a weird cart with tonnes of memory and a special chip for decrypting the compressed data on the cart. He'll it had a full vocal opening theme, something that you don't expect from a snes game.

It came on a 48 megabit cart, I think only Star Ocean and Street Fighter Alpha also had the same size cart.

• Advertisement

Both those games had the decompression chip as well. I remember it was a couple of years before they were emulated since the decompression algorithm took a while to find.

Has anyone played Natural Doctrine yet, it had a comparatively poor buy rate in Japan and has not reviewed well in most places, I would usually avoid but seeing it will also be on the PS4 has my interest piqued due to lack of output, it seems to be one of those love or hate games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Xenji wrote: »
    Has anyone played Natural Doctrine yet, it had a comparatively poor buy rate in Japan and has not reviewed well in most places, I would usually avoid but seeing it will also be on the PS4 has my interest piqued due to lack of output, it seems to be one of those love or hate games.

Its meant to be insanely hard with a complex battle system, seems its something for the hardcore gamer,rpgamer gave it a good score though,so I might pick it up when its cheaper.

It's one of those games I'll buy when it's on sale and play years down the line :)

Here's an actual screenshot of Natural Doctrine.... confusing is not the word:

2664667-naturaldoctrine1.jpg

Apparently it's the type of game that if you have the right strategy you will destroy the enemy but the same can happen to you if you mess up. And by strategy I mean you set up your moves so you completely break the battle system. There was an easy mode patched into the Japanese version since people complained it was way too hard with too much grinding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

Picked up Persona 3 fes on psn. Any tips for first time pes3 player? I've played a bit of the first and innocent sin. Also SMT strange journeys. No spoilers obviously.

Can I join more than one club?

I'd have recommended the us version over the European one which is a very poor PAL conversion but sure you've bought it now.

You have a choice of a few clubs, once you make that choice you have to live with it. Social links are the most important things in the game so you want to maximise your links. Getting your charm up when you have free time a d bringing a matching persona to the social link you are going on will give you a significant boost in the social link.

As for combat, as a smt veteran you'll know status buffs are massively important against bosses. Spells that buff defense or agility or debuff enemies should be used a lot!

I got the EU persona 3 fes. Is it just a visual difference?

Ahh I joined the track team even though I haven't checked the other clubs. I should research permanent choices before I do them. I didn't want to spoil it. Any other permanent choices that will lock my play through in a specific direction?

Actually I didn't think much of buffs I just exploit elemental weakness primarily. I'll keep that in mind to focus on buffs.

Going to pick up digital devil summoner after this.

The EU version of the game runs a good bit slower than the US version. The US version is a much faster paced and playable game as a result. I didn't really notice it myself until I played Persona 3 Portable which just feels so much better. I can't believe it had a crappy PAL port, it's the same with Persona 4, in this day and age.

Buffs and debuffs will factor in big time later on. As long as you are fully exploring each floor and not running from any fights you should be properly levelled up for any boss. A lot of people get stuck on bosses and think they have to grind but really they've just come up against a boss with no elemental weakness that just needs careful use of stat buffs. Even in easier boss battles they will make things go a lot smoother.

As for plot choices there's I think another club you have to join. Just choose what you want, you can only pick one and it levels up the same social link anyway so it's not a big deal. There's another choice later on that gives you a bad ending or moves to the path of the good ending but it's easy to figure out the correct choice and if you choose the wrong one it's just a case of reloading your save file after the bad ending.

I did play P3P for a bit when I had a PSP. Ill stay away from the US version so I don't know what I'm missing. P4G on Vita I hear is an amazing port. That's the only reason I'd pick up a vita for xmas. I miss the monster negotiating part that the older games had.

I have no problem with bosses yet, but I will keep buffs in mind. Being unable to control the other characters is not to bad. The AI is clever enough.

Is this a game to save rotate? I like just keeping one save file so I live with my choices and make them more meaningful. Unless the game is buggy.

The game isn't buggy at all. I usually have two saves though. I save once I get to a boss on Tartarus and then have a second save for when I fuse my demons together in case I make a bad combination. I like to play the game living with the decisions I make as well, it's hard to really mess up a social link in the game. Just remember to go out with people on sundays and breaks when they call. Gives big social link bonuses, you'll have plenty of time to do the sunday social links.

The portable games are good ports because all portables run at 60 fps. On consoles some European tvs that are old runat only 50 fps but most games have been offering 60Hz since the Dreamcast which makes the Persona games so baffling.

So KH3 has been moved to Unreal 4. Seems to have been a big shake up in Square Enix. The Kingdom Hearts team have probably been moved off of FFXV and replaced with Tabata's team, freeing them up to work on KH. KH is one of Squares last marketable IPs from japan so they are desperate to get one out the door. I'd say the game wasn't even started and the stuff we have seen so far have been mock ups (they looked appalling) so not like it's a blow to development.

Atelier Ayesha Plus is coming to the EU PS Store in January, it will be dual audio and digital only as usual.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

So KH3 has been moved to Unreal 4. Seems to have been a big shake up in Square Enix. The Kingdom Hearts team have probably been moved off of FFXV and replaced with Tabata's team, freeing them up to work on KH. KH is one of Squares last marketable IPs from japan so they are desperate to get one out the door. I'd say the game wasn't even started and the stuff we have seen so far have been mock ups (they looked appalling) so not like it's a blow to development.

Are the KH games worth playing? I never played them, I don't know why I never did tbh, I was thinking of getting KH 2.5 When it releases.

Atelier Ayesha Plus is coming to the EU PS Store in January, it will be dual audio and digital only as usual.

Ps3 only?

It will be Vita only, it will have all the DLC from the PS3 version, new characters and enemies and a harder difficulty.

• Advertisement

Are the KH games worth playing? I never played them, I don't know why I never did tbh, I was thinking of getting KH 2.5 When it releases.

I would say not really. KH1 I enjoyed and it had a bit of challenge but it's very hard to go back to. Chain of Memories is a bit rubbish. It and KH2 are when the story turned to absolute ****e. KH2 is an extremely easy button masher with a god awful story but it is kind of fun. Stay away from the god awful DS game, 423032490/2312 days. Birth by Sleep is actually surprisingly good and while the story isn't great it's not offensive like the rest of the series. Tabata directed that one so check it out if you are interested in what he can do with FFXV. He did Crisis Core as well which I wasn't a fan of but not bad for a first effort and 3rd Birthday which had a horrible story but really fun third person combat.

I'm not sure about the 3DS game but by all accounts it's horrid.

The wizardry article on hg101 has a great section on how it influenced future RPGs including jrpgs.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/wizardry/wizardry.htm

Very interesting :)

Xenji in your opinion is akiba trip worth paying 40 euro for ?

Very interesting :)

Xenji in your opinion is akiba trip worth paying 40 euro for ?

It depends really, every run of the game takes about 8 hours and it has 8 different endings based on the choices you make in the game, if your willing to try and get them all then it is worth it, but if you one do one playthrough probably not.

I did enjoy the game a lot, it is very well written and very quirky, it never takes itself seriously and the combat system works very well and you have so much to do and explore in Akihabara which Xseed have done a great job recreating.

The only issue I had with the game is that the loading times are a bit long, but that is about it.

An 8 hour RPG sounds perfect to me. So many RPGs stretch themselves out too long.

It depends really, every run of the game takes about 8 hours and it has 8 different endings based on the choices you make in the game, if your willing to try and get them all then it is worth it, but if you one do one playthrough probably not.

I did enjoy the game a lot, it is very well written and very quirky, it never takes itself seriously and the combat system works very well and you have so much to do and explore in Akihabara which Xseed have done a great job recreating.

The only issue I had with the game is that the loading times are a bit long, but that is about it.

Are there boss fights?

There's been some big fan translations released recently.

Grand Knights History which was slated for a US release but cancelled at the last minute has been fully translated. it's a vanillaware game so expect gorgeous 2D art.

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2259/

Megami Tensei was also supposedly translated 9 months ago but the author wanted to wait for the series anniversary in September to release it. Typical for a fan translation it was late to release by a month and in the meantime another translator came out of the woodwork to complete a project he started years ago, namely Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei, a SNES remake of Megami Tensei 1 and 2 with new content using the smt2 engine which makes the other release obsolete. oh well.

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2287/

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2263/

Are there boss fights?

Yep and they can be quite difficult in otaku mode.

Oh Akiba's Strip is made by Acquire, I knew it reminded me of something. They make the Kenka Bancho games, they are a lot of fun!

Edit: Ignore that, they make wizardry not Kenka Bancho! :(

• Advertisement

SMT4 out 30th of October. Buy it you fools!

Advertisement