Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum wage increased to 11.50

Options
  • 28-09-2014 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

There's a debate ongoing about increasing the minimum wage to 11.50 an hour. While this might be appealing to those on minimum wage, it would cripple small to medium sized businesses.

As it stands food is at an all time low, utility bills have gone up but there is a lot less waste than before and my bills have reflected this. The one area that has really soared is the rental sector. Rents are currently off the wall in Dublin where the highest demand is, and thus landlords will be the main beneficiary's of this higher income!

Funny how they were the ones milking it right through the boom and collapse and the ones with the cash put by to buy up all the cheap property of recent times.

They will also prosper greatly from this as the increased wages will cause an influx of migrants looking for a better life who will gladly pay the exorbitant rent prices that in turn will go up even more with the increased demand. Even after rent food and whatever else they will have a lot of money saved to bring home where it will be worth a lot more

Just the rich getting richer.. Nothing new here!

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/minimum-wage-maximum-outrage-1.1944235

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/the-living-wage-should-11-45-an-hour-be-the-new-minimum-1.1941878

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭candytog

jay-me wrote: »
    There's a debate ongoing about increasing the minimum wage to 11.50 an hour. While this might be appealing to those on minimum wage, it would cripple small to medium sized businesses.

As it stands food is at an all time low, utility bills have gone up but there is a lot less waste than before and my bills have reflected this. The one area that has really soared is the rental sector. Rents are currently off the wall in Dublin where the highest demand is, and thus landlords will be the main beneficiary's of this higher income!

Funny how they were the ones milking it right through the boom and collapse and the ones with the cash put by to buy up all the cheap property of recent times.

They will also prosper greatly from this as the increased wages will cause an influx of migrants looking for a better life who will gladly pay the exorbitant rent prices that in turn will go up even more with the increased demand. Even after rent food and whatever else they will have a lot of money saved to bring home where it will be worth a lot more

Just the rich getting richer.. Nothing new here!

The minimum wage is currently €3.75 by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Is this a thread about minimum wage or landlords?

Confused??

But agree with both points, the wage should be raised and rent reduced to feasible levels!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Don't agree with the minimum wage increase at all .
    It would literally kill business' s over night

candytog wrote: »

Actually it's €8.65

TheSheriff wrote: »

Confused??

But agree with both points, the wage should be raised and rent reduced to feasible levels!

Keep the minimum wage and let the market raise the price. if the cost of living is high in Dublin then Dublin businesses need to raise their hourly rate. If the Dublin businesses can't afford the labour then move out of Dublin where there are plenty of people willing to work for minimum wage.

And for heavens sake scrap the bloody scambridge because if they increase the minimum wage and keep that then even more companies will exploit it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Gatling wrote: »
    Actually it's €8.65

Ah nt be falling for the trap, now he's going to go on about jobbridge or somesuch.

Gatling wrote: »
    Actually it's €8.65

Jobsbridge actually. 40 hours a week at 150 euro.

Ah nt be falling for the trap, now he's going to go on about jobbridge.

It's relevant to the debate so he is going to go on about it.

Hmmm, while I would be against a stupidly big jump like that I have to say I'm amazed someone has managed to make an argument linking minimum wage increases to increased immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

€8.65 is the minimum wage

• Advertisement

Ah nt be falling for the trap, now he's going to go on about jobbridge or somesuch.

Tooooooo late laddy

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The title of this thread really needs to be changed to include the word "proposed"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Confused??

A jumble of all the above.. Although I guess I mean that an increase in minimum wages, which is currently being debated, would benefit landlords the most, the very people who have been benefiting from the local economy throughout the ups and downs.

Small businesses would be destroyed in the short term, e.g small hotels etc where their income is pretty static and any extra outgoings would be severely felt. Although apparently in the US the increase in wage has helped the local economies by increasing spending. So to this end I guess we shall have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,482 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Confused??

We should make the €5 note the €5000 note, we'll all be the richest kings in western Europe!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Jobbridge is essentially an internship. It's not comparable or relevant here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Raising minimum wage will raise the cost of living.

Many companies who could otherwise employ people at minimum wage are employing people as interns and saving a fortune. By increasing the minimum wage it would further incentivise more companies to do so. how is that not relevant?

If landlords think there's more money to be made they will be the first to push prices up to get as much of the 11.50 ph current minimum wagers get .
    Then there's the welfare increase need to keep up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

That's not a wage but an allowance. Minimum wage is a different thing altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Hmmm, while I would be against a stupidly big jump like that I have to say I'm amazed someone has managed to make an argument linking minimum wage increases to increased immigration.

I think that is pretty clear cut!! A better wage = a better life hence the Irish diaspora in Australia and Canada etc etc. And don't get me wrong I don't blame anybody for trying to better their lives and especially if they take the risk of going to a foreign country away from their families and friends etc to do it! But there is definitely a blatant link there!

• Advertisement

I think that is pretty clear cut!! A better wage = a better life hence the Irish diaspora in Australia and Canada etc etc. And don't get me wrong I don't blame anybody for trying to better their lives and especially if they take the risk of going to a foreign country away from their families and friends etc to do it! But there is definitely a blatant link there!

There's cheaper living and stronger economies that's why not because of a higher minimum wage

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I think that is pretty clear cut!! A better wage = a better life hence the Irish diaspora in Australia and Canada etc etc.!

If your earning €8.50 an hour and the wage going up by 25%, but the price of everything also goes up 25%, how are you any better off?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

snubbleste wrote: »
    Raising minimum wage will raise the cost of living.

Nah this is left think. Economic common sense doesnt apply here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Bang_Bang

What a load of shíte, by increasing the minimum wage, SME's will suffer and the employee will see fcukall in terms of take home pay. The taxman will be laughing at all the increased revenue from taxes that will bring people to 54% effective (single person combined taxes).

If you want money in your pocket, a tax CUT is the only way it's going to happen, unless they raise the threshold over €32800, this will mean fcukall to anyone if it gets implemented.

That's not a wage but an allowance. Minimum wage is a different thing altogether.

You can call their work an internship and their salary an allowance all you like but the fact of the matter is people are working 40 hours a week for 150 euro.

You can call their work an internship and their salary an allowance all you like but the fact of the matter is people are working 40 hours a week for 150 euro.

Your still wrong .

There gaining experience that will allow them to get onto the career path of there choosing yes the system has been abused but when it's used as a stepping stone it suits a lot of people

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

They're hardly forced. They have the choice between education or jobbridge,if they choose jobbridge then they should choose a placement which will look good on their cv. If they pick something like stacking shelves for tesco then they probably deserve to be exploited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

it is very relevant here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Well they are actually working 40 hours for €50 allowance. They get the €100 anyway if they are signed on.

The point is not relevant though. It's an internship. There are plenty of interns around the world that don't get anything at all. The point of an internship is that you get something out of it. .I.e experience in a field of work. Nobody does an internship to make money.

And raising the minimum wage to over €11 would be a disaster. A tax cut or raise the ceiling on earnings would be the best stimulus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

How did the Labour party ever stand over a scheme like Jobbridge :confused:

So much for being the party for the workers

Advertisement