Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

realweirdo wrote: »
    No attempt to negotiate with McStay by the looks of it.

There should have been an attempt at a compromise by both sides.

It just seems like McStay was written off very easily.

maybe they did, maybe it wasnt possible, maybe the CB preferred Connelly/Holmes. lets ee if McStay outlines what his package was. of course he wont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

So to sum up.

The nominated candidates were McStay and Connelly/Holmes.

Each had give a presentation of what they would do and what they needed.

A committee agreed that both should be interviewed.

Paddy Mc decided (and others may have thought this way too) that what was being requested by McStay was not realistic.
    So he calls McStay to tell him as much and that the other pair are likely to get the job.
    McStay says fine I'm not changing the package.

Then a few PR disasters on Saturday night and now Connelly/Holmes are ratified without the expected bloodbath at the CB.

All happy ?

Not happy...satisfied but sceptical...the whole thing was handled badly. Still think McStay was the better option. However what's done is done.

Connelly/Holmes have to prove themselves and hit the ground running. Horan left behind a very good setup and most of the backroom staff have been retained. There is no reason why Mayo shouldnt be competitive next year.

Rockfish wrote: »
    maybe they did, maybe it wasnt possible, maybe the CB preferred Connelly/Holmes. lets ee if McStay outlines what his package was. of course he wont.

McStay is litterly in a no win situation. If he outlines his package, people will say he should have kept quiet.

If he does come out in the media tomorrow I hope people don't criticise him for giving his side of the story. We've mostly heard the CB side of the story so far.

I think Kevin will simply want to move on from this situation. As I think we all should.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

so is it joint managers or which one is assistant ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

km79 wrote: »

Hopefully the detail of that will be revealed at this stage now that its official

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

And McHale has said he wouldn't get involved in a mayo team again after this.

So does that preclude McStay rom taking the job at some future time ?
    I'd love to see him get a go at it

McNicholas rang McStay on Saturday morning to ask him to change some of his proposals as they wouldnt get past the Co Board. McStay refused and asked would he have the backing of the co board and asked to know where he stood as he didnt want to be left hanging. McNicholas told him truthfully, No. It then ended up in the national media, wonder who was responsible for that?? The executive then made a balls of things PR wise and struggled to keep up with events. It's over thankfully.

McStay is litterly in a no win situation. If he outlines his package, people will say he should have kept quiet.

If he does come out in the media tomorrow I hope people don't criticise him for giving his side of the story. We've mostly heard the CB side of the story so far.

I think Kevin will simply want to move on from this situation. As I think we all should.

I also think it would be unfair of the CB to divulge details without McStays consent. Agreed, time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Rockfish wrote: »
    Well it seems the Co Board delegates didnt agree with the 'mob' on here. As one delegate said the whole process was clumsy rather than sinister

The mob you speak of on here simply want transparency and accountability.An explanation of why proper procedures were'nt followed should be furnished.Why on earth can't an outline re the package be revealed if it was on such a prohibitive scale(no specifics required)?Surely the delegates are entitled to form an opinion on this themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Joint managers same as 2006-09 with the U-21s.

• Advertisement

Joint managers same as 2006-09 with the U-21s.

has a joint management team ever won Sam ?

I don't think a county with as high a profile as Mayo currently have has even had joint managers at this level.

I don't think a county with as high a profile as Mayo currently have has even had joint managers at this level.

yeah I'm wracking my brains and can't think of one.
    There is a reason for that I suppose....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Rhetorical question ?

Rhetorical question ?

not really. I'm pretty sure it has never happened ? and there is a reason for it.I hope its Connelly boss and Holmes assistant or whatever he will be called!
    There has to be one boss!

not really. I'm pretty sure it has never happened ? and there is a reason for it.I hope its Connelly boss and Holmes assistant or whatever he will be called!
    There has to be one boss!

Well many of us would have likeed it if there was another "manager" on the sideline along with Horan a few times during his tenure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Predict whats in the package time. I reckon elements will be revealed. In all likelihood progressive (termed radical) but I reckon no big addition of costs. I cant see Kevin McStay demanding extra backroom/logistics/equipment costs at proposal stage.
    McStay has never managed a big budget team n demanded a big budget? Unlikely. If there was something calamitous in it Paddy McNicholas would've revealed it under pressure of questioning at tonights meeting.

Well many of us would have likeed it if there was another "manager" on the sideline along with Horan a few times during his tenure.

yeah I can see that side of it too BUT when the pressure is on one man will have to make the call. He should have someone to consult with but ultimately he should have to make the call. Now there are 2 men with equal responsibility .....what happens on the big day when the big call needs to be made quick if they don't agree? I've been there myself with school teams. It doesn't work. There a just has to be one named boss. the decision making power can be as little 51:49 in his favour for all I care but there has to be one named boss.
    History has shown us this..... no joint managers I can think of........I hope its not joint managemen I really do

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Tyrone had Art McRory and Eugene McKenna and were robbed of a possible All-Ireland
    Armagh had Brian McAllinden and Jim Smyth? or a priest who's name escapes me.

Tyrone at the time were a superb football side one of the best in the country on the back of successful U/21 sides. They could have won All-Ireland in 1986 and should have won 1996 when Peter Canavan got awful treatment on the field.

LeoB wrote: »
    Tyrone had Art McRory and Eugene McKenna and were robbed of a possible All-Ireland
    Armagh had Brian McAllinden and Jim Smyth? or a priest who's name escapes me.

Tyrone at the time were a superb football side one of the best in the country on the back of successful U/21 sides. They could have won All-Ireland in 1986 and should have won 1996 when Peter Canavan got awful treatment on the field.

Yea I knew Tyrone had them but was not sure when.
    They were just at the beginning of their rise to prominence in 1995 though, they only really became high profile after they started winning All Irelands under Harte

It was 1995 by the way not 1996.

• Advertisement

Nope!

Nor anything big in soccer either I believe. Or any sport. I stand to be corrected on that.

The nearest thing to joint managership in soccer was Clough-Taylor but Clough was still the head guy. Taylor was the man who could spot talent. Clough was the guy who knew how to motivate them and get the best out of them, plus they were all scared sh*tless of Clough. John Robertson, even after winning European Cups, used to hide from Clough for fear of his tongue.

I agree its time to move on.

But if Connelly/Holmes management is a failure and of course I hope it isn't, then McStay needs to be given the job next time out, no ifs, ands or buts.

3 years to win Sam, that's how long Connelly/Holmes have. No pressure!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

y
    History has shown us this..... no joint managers I can think of........I hope its not joint managemen I really do

Will it be truly 'joint' management though? I suspect one party, namely the younger and more 'glamorous' one, will be more equal than the other in this partnership...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Nope!

Nor anything big in soccer either I believe. Or any sport. I stand to be corrected on that.

The nearest thing to joint managership in soccer was Clough-Taylor but Clough was still the head guy. Taylor was the man who could spot talent. Clough was the guy who knew how to motivate them and get the best out of them, plus they were all scared sh*tless of Clough. John Robertson, even after winning European Cups, used to hide from Clough for fear of his tongue.

jaysus i don't think there was ever any doubt who called the shots there in fairness. They were some partnership.

Predict whats in the package time. I reckon elements will be revealed. In all likelihood progressive (termed radical) but I reckon no big addition of costs. I cant see Kevin McStay demanding extra backroom/logistics/equipment costs at proposal stage.
    McStay has never managed a big budget team n demanded a big budget? Unlikely. If there was something calamitous in it Paddy McNicholas would've revealed it under pressure of questioning at tonights meeting.

He couldnt reveal it though as the had a confidentiality agreement wit Mc Stay
    Will it be truly 'joint' management though? I suspect one party, namely the younger and more 'glamorous' one, will be more equal than the other in this partnership...

I would imagine this has been discussed and decided who will make the vital calls in the throes of battle, a leas i would hope so

Chairmans statement at tonight's at CB meeting. Fair enough imo,
    "After the resignation of James Horan and his management team the Officers of Mayo County Board met and decided that it would be in the interests of Mayo football to have a new manager in place as quickly as possible. This would allow for planning for the upcoming league and hopefully to continue with the progress that has been made over the last four years by James Horan and his management team. The Executive of Mayo GAA decided to look for nominations for the position and that these nominations should be in by Thursday September 18th 2014.

We were aware that Kevin McStay was interested in the position as he had stated on the Sunday Game that he would get a call. We decided to make that make that call to see was he interested in it and he said that he was. We arranged a meeting with him, which took place on Monday, September 8. This meeting was a preliminary meeting so we could assess common ground and we could lay out our parameters to him. At that meeting Kevin McStay requested that we wouldn't mess him around and we wouldn't leave him hanging, if he wasn't the preferred choice. We agreed that we wouldn't mess him around.

It became clear at the meeting however there were elements of his package that we were concerned about and he was aware of our concerns. The only other nomination was that of Noel Connelly and Pat Holmes and we met them on September 19, again this was a preliminary meeting to set out parameters and to see did we have common ground. It became clear there were no real issues between us in that regard.

Later on Friday, September 19 at an executive committee meeting an interview committee was set up comprising of the chairman, secretary, treasurer, coaching officer and PRO of the county board. Its purpose was to interview the nominated candidates. I did not notify the executive of of our concerns of Kevin McStay's package out of deference to the understanding I had with Kevin McStay. I decided I would contact him the next day to clarify matters and to see could we come to an understanding that would be acceptable to him and the county board and we could then arrange the interview. I telephoned him on Saturday morning and again told him of our concerns of an element of the package that he proposed. It was not possible to reach common ground with him in this regard. I said would not be able to recommend his candidacy as a result, he asked did the other officers of the board have the same view and I said they were. In light of his request and my commitment to not mess him around, I thought he would withdraw his nomination at that stage. Instead he said he was disappointed and there was no point in his attending for an interview if he had not got the backing of the principal officers of the county board. At this point I would like stress I had no interest or there was no agenda against Kevin McStay. I was delighted that we had interest from two great management teams, all former Mayo players, any group would have been a great addition to Mayo football. I knew however that Kevin McStay's package would not be acceptable to Mayo county board and I as chairman would be failing on my duties to the board if I did not act on that. He said would be issuing a statement later in the day, I asked him not to do so until after the Hollymount-Carramore match as Noel Connelly was involved in that match and he agreed to that. I then contacted the secretary and treasurer and brought them up to speed on what had happened during the day. I contacted the PRO and coaching officer who were the other members of the interview committee and arranged a meeting for MacHale Park, that Saturday evening. I got a call from Kevin McStay at 4.20pm to say, he'd been contacted by Newstalk and a local journalist who said they were aware he would not be attending for an interview. I told him that neither I or the secretary or treasurer had contacted any media organisation in relation to these matters.

The interview committee met at MacHale Park at approximately 6pm, we discussed the situation and we were all concerned with the turn the events had taken. We decided to contact Kevin McStay again to see would he reconsider his position and attend for interview. We called Kevin McStay to see would he meet with us, he declined to meet. I then contacted by telephone all available members of the executive and I told them that Kevin McStay would not be attending for interview and there was only one valid nomination and we the interview committee would be recommending that subject to interview, Noel Connelly and Pat Holmes be appointed. The committee the prepared a statement that was agreed with Kevin McStay and this was subsequently released to the media. This statement was prepared and approved by all available members of the executive, it was incorrect in one respect. It stated that the Mayo senior football team interview committee met with the executive of the county board, there was no such meeting. And I regret this error. The available members of the executive were however informed of our proposed recommendation of Noel Connelly and Pat Holmes subject to interview.

There has been a huge amount of criticism of the way the whole thing was handled by the county board and of me in particular. I regret in particular the statement that said there was a meeting between the Mayo senior football manager interview committee and the executive. In our defence we were dealing with an evolving situation, part of which was being played out on the national airwaves and on a day when there were county semi-finals taking place in MacHale Park. We were reacting to the situation and not in control of it, I accept that with retrospect we could have done some things differently. Hindsight is wonderful and looking in the cold light of day some of the decisions made, they must appear clumsy, but there was no conspiracy at no stage did we try to favour one candidate over the other. It was clear to us, there were parts of Kevin McStay's proposals were not acceptable to the county board officers, and there was no point interviewing him. Kevin McStay himself has accepted this. If you look at any of the statements made in person by Kevin McStay, there is very little that can be disputed and there is very little disagreement between us. However statements made by others who were not present at any of these meetings are misleading and are disingenuous. Our opposition to Kevin McStay's proposal was not based on it being to radical and to much change for the county board. He was not told that his proposal was not good enough, but there were some aspects of his proposal that were simply unacceptable to the county board. These were his proposals and terms, and I do not feel that I'm at liberty to disclose them and I will not be doing so.

We are now in the fortunate situation,to have a competent and committed management team, Noel Connelly and Pat Holmes to recommend whole heartily to the county board for approval. It would be a shame to lose sight of this after a process that has generated more heat that light and for which I have to take some responsibility.”

that's what I suspect too as do a lot of people so just give them their correct positions/titles ! it will lead to problems down the road otherwise
    Anyway good luck to them hopefully they can buck the trend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I would like to think that's a line drawn under the whole thing and matters return to what's important- retaining division 1 status and blooding a few players.

I can't help feeling though, McStay and his denied proposals will cast a long shadow over the next couple of years....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Assistant Treasurer Michael Diskin has resigned according to reports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Panrich

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Assistant Treasurer Michael Diskin has resigned according to reports.

We're a laughing stock :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement