Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

KMFCross wrote: »
    Who is saying that Buckley would go if McHale was a coach?

To the best of my knowledge Connelly\Holms had Buckley as part of their team.

McStay did not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

KMFCross wrote: »
    The word is that McNicholas is going to tell the board this evening that McStay & McHale were looking for too much money for the job so it automatically ruled them out of the running.

nobody gets paid apparently :rolleyes:

i thought it was a set amount of expenses as the revenue were looking at this closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

irishgeo wrote: »
    nobody gets paid apparently :rolleyes:

i thought it was a set amount of expenses as the revenue were looking at this closely.

Cash is king as they say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

So first it was because Mcstay's presentation was too radical. Now its because they were looking for too much money?

I doubt it was money for themselves, it was money to put in place the correct structures and training camps, and proper preparation to get Mayo over the line.

Clearly the CB think the next management team can do it on the cheap.

So far, I have seen absolutely no reason to justify why McStay/McHale weren't given a fair go through the full process that was agreeed at the meeting on Friday night.

And there is absolutely no question that McNicolas has to go and one or two others along with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

realweirdo wrote: »
    So first it was because Mcstay's presentation was too radical. Now its because they were looking for too much money?

I doubt it was money for themselves, it was money to put in place the correct structures and training camps, and proper preparation to get Mayo over the line.

So far, I have seen absolutely no reason to justify why McStay/McHale weren't given a fair go through the full process that was agreeed at the meeting on Friday night.

And there is absolutely no question that McNicolas has to go and one or two others along with him.

True. Whatever the opinions people have about the nominations, due process has to take precedence. All guys should have the stage to explain their presentation and ideas irrespective of any issues around money, trainers etc.

I do feel for McStay and McHale as they should have got their moment to present their case. It also raises questions over Connelly and Holmes especially with Connelly's brother as the vice chairman.

Chairman must go. If he cannot understand the basics around been transparent, upfront and applying due process to these guys that put their name forward, then I hate to see what he does with other aspects to Mayo GAA.

It reminds me of people voting in the village clown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭boosabum

allegedly, it would have been compensation for loss of media duties which had to be addressed at an early stage, allegedly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

But McStay had his chance to present is case obviously, of course the agreed procedures should have been followed but to say he didnt get a hearing is way off the mark. I'm curious as to what form the meeting/presentation took

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

I hear Enda Kenny is taking over as chairman of the county board and he's proposing some McNulty fellow for the managers job, seems he played junior for ballyporeen and is therefore highly qualified. He made his first appearance for ballyporeen at Conor forward two weeks ago during the last game of the season😀

Anyone going to the county board meeting tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

Anyone going to the county board meeting tonight :)

Every delegate in the county even those that never go will be there i'm sure. Would love to be there. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

There will be no vote of no confidence tonight anyway.

I believe that McStay didnt want to go through the formal inerview process and asked the chairman straight out if he was getting the job, he didnt want to be messed around. Also the money they were looking for was a big stumbling block

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

realweirdo wrote: »

That is not clear. The CB have a responsibility to do these things within a reasonable budget and not run themselves into a big debt. I see no evidence anywhere that Connelly / Holmes are the 'cheap' option and it is not fair to suggest that they are.

I am stunned at the abuse thrown at Liam McHale on this thread. I dont particularly like him as a media commentator. But holy god, whether you like his personality or not, that guy gave a lot for Mayo football. He does not deserve some of the things said in this thread.
    allegedly, it would have been compensation for loss of media duties which had to be addressed at an early stage, allegedly

I would find it hard to believe that. I wonder if that is the norm though. I'd imagine that the sunday game gig is a nice earner. I wonder if Loughnane got anything when he went to Galway hurlers.
    There will be no vote of no confidence tonight anyway.

In who?

Paddy McNicholas has to go after all this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Paddy Mc wont tell what McStay was asking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Panrich

According to the twitter machine, the chairman is still digging. He now says that nobody in their right mind would have accepted McStay package.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Paddy Mc said at tonights meeting. no man in this room who would have accepted Kevin McStay's package a non runner he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Paddy Mc said at tonights meeting. no man in this room who would have accepted Kevin McStay's package a non runner he said.

yes but the debate is not whether or not mcstay shud have got it or not BUT whether correct procedures were followed .......the chairman is doing a great job of distracting from this tonight . pure politics . disheartening

Connelly and Holmes have been ratified anyway.

He should do the right thing an resign

• Advertisement

Edwin McGreal ‏@edmcgreal

The meeting has moved on. No move against Mayo GAA Paddy McNicholas over his handling of appointment debacle.

Rockfish wrote: »
    Edwin McGreal ‏@edmcgreal

The meeting has moved on. No move against Mayo GAA Paddy McNicholas over his handling of appointment debacle.

MAYO FOR SHAM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Just what was in McStay's package? I MUST KNOW

Well it seems the Co Board delegates didnt agree with the 'mob' on here. As one delegate said the whole process was clumsy rather than sinister

I'd say that this will force McStay to comment further. He's been branded as a fool by the chairman tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Stop thinking about another man's package

Panrich wrote: »
    I'd say that this will force McStay to comment further. He's been branded as a fool by the chairman tonight.

Sorry?? He never said anything of the sort.

Panrich wrote: »

Will he say what was in the package? You can bet your arse he won't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

No attempt to negotiate with McStay by the looks of it.

There should have been an attempt at a compromise by both sides.

It just seems like McStay was written off very easily.

• Advertisement

So to sum up.

The nominated candidates were McStay and Connelly/Holmes.

Each had give a presentation of what they would do and what they needed.

A committee agreed that both should be interviewed.

Paddy Mc decided (and others may have thought this way too) that what was being requested by McStay was not realistic.
    So he calls McStay to tell him as much and that the other pair are likely to get the job.
    McStay says fine I'm not changing the package.

Then a few PR disasters on Saturday night and now Connelly/Holmes are ratified without the expected bloodbath at the CB.

All happy ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement