Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭llambert

Hey CandyAB. That's alot for you to take on board on the back of a breakup so hope you're doing ok.

I don't know how successful ivf is with frozen eggs. When we went through ours they asked my hubby if he wanted to freeze sperm incase the pressure to perform on a certain day was too much. They said that fresh is always better but not sure if same applies with eggs.

There is an annual cost in our clinic so that's something you need to consider. Plus I take it you will have to go through the ivf process to harvest more folicles for collection.......would you only have to do this once?? What would happen if you didn't have any or not many folicles of the required size??

Sorry I can't be of more help but definitely get your research in before you go. Write down your questions before you go in cos it can be very emotional and all thoughts could go out the window.

Best of luck x x

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭TomeeTipee

CandyAB, I'm sorry to hear what you are going through at the minute. I don't have any experience of freezing eggs, but I'm going through ivf at the minute and I have very low amh, among other issues.

I just wanted to reassure you regarding the amh result. When I first found out my result was low, I was pretty devastated and kept hearing that it meant I had a very low egg reserve. But I've done a lot of resesrch on it since and have heard many many stories of people with low amh who have conceived naturally with no problems. I have also heard of lots of people who have been re tested months later only to find their amh has gone way up, which in theory shouldn't happen. It is actually quite a new test and I think it is not fully understood at the minute. Some of the top fertility clinics in london don't use it anymore as there seems to be too many doubts about it and it seems that it can be artifically supressed in some circumstances, hence results changing when re tested.

Since low amh should in theory suggest a low egg reserve, an ultrasound scan should also in theory show only a small number of follicles on each ovary. Many women with low amh actually have lots of follicles, which is good news, and this seems to be a better indication of egg reserve. I'm sure at sims they will do an internal scan to measure your "antral follicle count" and if not, ask them about this. You may find your egg reserve is actually ok after all. It is something worth discussing with your doctor. Best of luck with everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 CandyAB

Hi llambert and TomeeTipee, thank you both so much for your replies.

I actually had my appointment today, and wow have I a lot to process now!

I had a scan in May which showed a small number of very small follicles.. so not 100% hopefull there :( The Dr in SIMS was lovely, and talked through so much with me. With all my history taken into account, he as told me to only hope for about 3 eggs per cycle, and at €3k a pop this is adding up quite quickly, esp as it is recommended to have at least 10 eggs per hoped pregnancy, and from those 10 you only have a 50% chance of a pregnancy.. I am not liking the whole stat thing at all!! And to be honest the whole frozen egg thing is much less sucessful than frozen embryos so a decision again needs to be made there...do I go down the donor sperm route and freeze embryos and then if I meet someone what happens then.. O God.. so many decisions!! Freezing egg storage does carry an annual cost of €350 a year which when you look at all the other costs this actually seems like a bargin!

I think the only logically thing to do is to try the egg harvesting cycle on my next day 1, which will be in early Sept, if we discover on day 10 that I only have one follicle then we will abandon it (and I actually get a refund if I dont go ahead with the harvesting/freezing procedure!) and relook at my options.. which are donor IUI, this is of course a MASSIVE step so I need to take some time to think about it, esp as being on my own, but time is not my friend at the moment. For every one session of harvesting I can get 3 IUI attempts for the same cost (there abouts) I know it is not all down to money but it is a factor of what gives me the best chance, this might be my only option to have a child, and my God do I really want one, always have.

So there you go! I am very lucky that my family, friends and work are being super supportive which it a great help. :)

I have a scan on Thurs to check that little bugger of a cyst, to make sure it is still 1cm, only when it gets to 4cm will I need to get it removed, so at the moment it can stay put, which is great as every surgery depletes my ovarian reserve even more and that I do not need!

Sorry for the download but actually typing it out really does help process things... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

7th day of flashing smily face :-/ Supposed to identify the 4 most fertile days?!? Have just about managed every second day for the last while but baba is miserable with an ear infection so we're up a lot with her at the moment so I'm afraid I'll hit peak and just not be arsed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Roesy exact same happened to me first month using them!

• Advertisement

Roesy exact same happened to me first month using them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I'm out AGAIN :(

yellow hen wrote: »
    I'm out AGAIN :(

Sorry to hear that Yellow Hen :( are you going to start temping now?

Neyite how's the Clomid going?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭TomeeTipee

CandyAB, sorry to hear of the low follicle numbers. I have the same issue myself. My last ivf cycle was cancelled before it even got started because they couldn't see a single follicle on my pre period scan! I'm currently in the middle of another cycle where I had 3 antral follicles starting out (a very good month for me!), but currently only 2 are growing properly so it looks like I'll get 2 eggs at most. So I understand the stats game and it is a difficult issue to deal with.

I can't advise on freezing eggs as I have no experience in that area, but just wanted to wish you luck whatever decision you make. One other option which you haven't mentioned, although you may have considered, is to use donor eggs. If you were to meet someone new down the line, it is something that you could consider. To be honest, it is something that I may have to give serious consideration to myself if I am not successful using my own eggs. I can't afford too many cycles of ivf and the chance of success with my egg numbers is low, whild the chance of success with donor eggs would be pretty high in comparison. Anyway, I'm not there yet and I don't even know how I would feel about it, but just thought I would mention it as another possible option. I don't think any of us thought we would be making babies in these circumstances! Best of luck whatever path you take xx

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Sorry to hear that Yellow Hen :( are you going to start temping now?

Neyite how's the Clomid going?

Not to bad Angel. I'm on a very low dose - 50g x 3 days, so we shall see. Had pretty strong follicle pain the other day, it felt as bad as contractions lol, so that's hopefully a good sign.

Now if our Human Contraceptive Toddler lets us have a moment to ourselves, we might actually get me impregnated one of these months. :pac:

• Advertisement

Neyite wrote: »
    Not to bad Angel. I'm on a very low dose - 50g x 3 days, so we shall see. Had pretty strong follicle pain the other day, it felt as bad as contractions lol, so that's hopefully a good sign.

Now if our Human Contraceptive Toddler lets us have a moment to ourselves, we might actually get me impregnated one of these months. :pac:

Ha! I hear you on the human contraceptive! We only managed once around the positive opk because our normally good little sleeper decided that she was going to wake every time! It was like she knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Not feelin good here either.. Not out but will be soon.. The pms is shockin!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Hollywood130

Hi ladies

Haven't been on in a while, had a consult the other day, full talk on what is next for me, knew it waS ivf, going to start in january or february, can't believe I need it but I'm praying it works, it's my only chance now

Hi ladies

Haven't been on in a while, had a consult the other day, full talk on what is next for me, knew it waS ivf, going to start in january or february, can't believe I need it but I'm praying it works, it's my only chance now

I hope it will bring you luck - there's so many positive stories out there - keep hoping - what ever it takes

I'm out this month - arrived yest in full force

Really broody today - more so than norm if possible 😡

dublinlady wrote: »
    Really broody today - more so than norm if possible 😡

Me too! A close friend just found out she's pregnant with her third. Thrilled for them as the other two were through ivf and this was a surprise. Am jealous too though!

I'm either 5 or 6 dpo and I feel rotten. Starting a cold and just generally feel wrecked. I've got horrible ovulation type pains too. I got a positive clearblue ovulation test and my temps are up so I'm fairly sure I'm well past ovulation. I'm back to work next week after basically 10 months off so add that to feeling under the weather and you've got a very sorry for herself Roesy tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 NordieNox

Hi all new to this forum and posting under a new name as a few friends follow my other username. Myself and the hubby are only starting out on the ttc road. Know it could take a while (or it could happen quickly) but wanted to join the chatter as you ladies all seem very informed and I am totally new to this and we want to keep it to ourselves until we have any news to share as we are already sick of the 'so any baby news yet' questions and I imagine people knowing we were trying would only add to all of that.

I came off the pill about 10 months ago after we got married and started to take folic acid in case we got any surprises.This month we decided to stop using contraception to see how we get on. Very exciting :D and nervous but not under any illusions that it could take us a while.

Keegler, you've had a really rough time, god love you. 8 months trying this time isn't enough to class as secondary infertility though. It took us 1.5 years first time and it's been 8 months this time and still looking. We've had the exact same tests as you and all ok. I also tried clomid last time for 3 months but it didn't work and I didn't feel good taking it so didn't try again...thankfully I got pregnant on my own after that. I hope it happens for you soon but it's still early days so chin up.

My last period only lasted one day and was excruciating so I'm not sure what's going on with my body :(

I feel like I'm going crazy - my cycles have been anywhere from 27-36 days with average of 31. Today is day 34 so while I've been here before I can't help but be hopeful. I'm also symptom-spotting like crazy - generally my period just starts with no warning but for a few days I've been having funny pains low in my abdomen and lower back, my usual pre-period spot hasn't erupted on my chin and I've been having really vivid dreams every night. Could all be nothing, of course in my head I'm definitely pregnant :pac: Why do I do this to myself :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 37 NordieNox

Hopefully it is a good sign(s) angel delight. I am only starting out on this journey but I imagine it must be very difficult not to try and symptom spot.

I have been using an app to track my cycle for the last few months. After coming off the pill I also had a leetz procedure which meant I had bleeding for about 3 weeks so I had no clue where I was with my cycle. I *think* I have been lucky in that they seem to have settled into 29 days usually on the button. Barr one about 6 months ago that was out at 35 days for some reason.

Anyway according to the app my fertile window should be this week so we made sure we were getting busy every other night ;) the app says I am not due to ovulate until today but I always get ovulation pains around the middle of my cycle since I came off the pill and I got them last night. Coupled with CM which was clear and stretchy (and I read that was a good sign). Anyway we DTD last night. Still have some very mild cramping this morning but much lighter than last night.

• Advertisement

Day 4 and my hormones are all over the place. Period has almost disappeared but usually lasts for 7/8 days. I'm completely hormental, miscounted scoops of formula and knocked a bottle and honestly felt like throwing a tantrum. I know evening primrose oil can help with pms type symptoms but then I don't think it's recommended after ovulation if you are trying to conceive. I'm normally only cranky for a day or so before I start.

How are you angel? Signs sound promising but then it's hard to tell really, you'd be trying not to get your hopes up! I have really vivid dreams the whole time but it was definitely worse when I was pregnant.

Good luck Shortie, hopefully you caught your egg :)

I can't believe I'm posting this but I'm pregnant! I found out at 4.30am Friday morning when I couldn't sleep so decided to do a test, couldn't tell hubby until 11pm that night, felt like I was going to burst all day.

I'm so excited and scared. I really can't believe it, after 19 months it just happened! It's also our 2 year wedding anniversary on Monday so it's lovely timing

I can't believe I'm posting this but I'm pregnant! I found out at 4.30am Friday morning when I couldn't sleep so decided to do a test, couldn't tell hubby until 11pm that night, felt like I was going to burst all day.

I'm so excited and scared. I really can't believe it, after 19 months it just happened! It's also our 2 year wedding anniversary on Monday so it's lovely timing

Woo hoo! Congrats angel!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Excellent news!!! Congratulations! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Yay!! Congrats Angeldelight!

Thank you ladies, I have my fingers crossed for all of you as well, this forum has been a lifeline as somewhere to come and vent.

Only thing I did differently this cycle was I took agnus cast is supplements - obviously no idea if that had any effect but could have!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Absolutely delighted for you!! Its about time this thread got a bit of good news :)

Oh congrats angel delight! Such lovely news, am really delighted for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Thank you ladies, I have my fingers crossed for all of you as well, this forum has been a lifeline as somewhere to come and vent.

Only thing I did differently this cycle was I took agnus cast is supplements - obviously no idea if that had any effect but could have!

Congrats Angel, I used Agnus Castus to concieve both my pregnancies so it get's my thumbs up ;)
    Happy & healthy 9 months xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Congratulations angeldelight :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement