Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,184 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Fair play to both teams, provided great entertainment for the neutral over 2 games.

I know that might not come as much consolation for Mayo fans though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Great game lads, a grain of rice in it at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭KMFCross

keane2097 wrote: »
    Great game lads, a grain of rice in it at most.

Yeah and crucial decisions went against Mayo that were the difference. 2 questionable penalty's for Kerry and two soft frees in the first half of ET.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Anyone know if Sky will be showing the whole thing tomorrow morning. Was recording it for the folks but forgot it was going to cut out in ET? If not might it be on Setanta at some stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭newportlad

Think that the clash between O'Connor and O'Shea at the end of the first half may well have cost Mayo the game. Lots of chopping and changing in the second half as a result and O'Connors right eye seemed to be completely closed when he did come back on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Anyone know if Sky will be showing the whole thing tomorrow morning. Was recording it for the folks but forgot it was going to cut out in ET? If not might it be on Setanta at some stage?

I'll never ever watch it. I've not watched any if the final losses since 96 either. and tthis was the worst since cos we were good enough. beyond heartbroken. don't see some of the players coming back from that.
    horan either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nippledragon

Cannot fault the effort, if only we had taken our chances (in both games).....as bad as it is is for us supporters, imagine how it is for the team? Great effort again this year and they deserve our praise wholeheartedly. Hopefully we will come back stronger again next year.

Has to be the end of the road for Horan as manager; I feel lack of squad rotation really cost us this year. Many of our subs today have had feck all game time, and it was asking a lot to throw them into that cauldron and pull a result out of the fire.

Players showed great heart through both games, and I think last week took too much out of the legs, we looked out on our feet for the final 10, and we couldn't cope with Kerrys midfield the whole game.

Should have had a better game plan for Donaghy, poor auld Caff was cleaned under the high ball. Though Gavin Duffy would have been a better option than Keane/Caff to do the job on him imo.

Higgins had a stormer as did Andy: he had no right to win some of those balls.

Onwards and upwards, hopefully we get the right manager if Horan calls it a day and bring through some of our promising minors :)

2015 MO SAM.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

That I fear is the end of this Mayo team they've tried playing football and mixing it up but have still come up short.
    A few players will drop off next year and they'll fade away.
    At least they went down fighting unlike earlier Mayo teams.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Horan has stepped down - two separate sources on Twitter that I saw

edit - on the official Mayo GAA twitter now

• Registered Users Posts: 44 markel

Its on Mayo Gaa Facebook too.
    He's done a great job with the players but hopefully some new blood will hopefully win the tactical battle and get us over the line

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Right call for Horan to go - it was going to be virtually impossible for him to get this group of players to go back to the well again for another go. He done a very good job but I always thought he wasn't tactically astute enough to deliver an AI for Mayo.

At least now a new manager has the winter and the league to get them going again.

Watching the game today I felt Mayo had no luck at all - the clash of heads for instance taking out the two most influential players at such a crucial time was a real punch in the guts.

Mayo showed a lot of heart and guts when needed today and can hold their heads high.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

McStay best man for the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

McStay best man for the job?

Not sure if he could work it around his army career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Best wishes to James Horan, he dragged us out of the gutter when we were at an all time low and made us competitive again.

It is the right decision to go as he has brought this squad as far as he can. Time for a new manager with fresh tactics and hopefully a fresh injection of new talent.

Football is a cruel sport, had a few things gone right for Mayo today it could be all so different, there wasn't much between the teams, Kerry had that bit more in the tank at the end. Was surprised at the mid field collapse, our kickouts and collection of breaking ball just wasn't up to standard. Thought Keith Higgins had an immense game and would be Mayo's man of the match for me.

Anyways, a bit sickened and dejected now. Hard to see us reaching these heights again in the near future but the good times will be back, sooner than we think I hope! Best of luck to Kerry in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    <SNIP>
    <SNIP> Calling people simple is not on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

threeball wrote: »
    <SNIP> Calling people simple is not on

If you have a problem with a post report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Not sure if he could work it around his army career.

Didn't Maughan do it?

feargale wrote: »
    Didn't Maughan do it?

He did, different times and a bit less commitment required back then.

McStay would be my choice too, not many AI winners knocking around the county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Cut the off topic talk about curses, the name calling and backseat moderation. If you have a problem with a post report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Drained so can't even imagine how this team feels. They left it all there, no more we can ask. James Horan its been emotional. Thank You.

Seen this on the mayogaablog this morning, seems more relevant now than ever as it doesn't need even to be considering that we won't be back. Warriors the lot of them and couldn't be prouder even if Sam feels further away than ever...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭corny

Sad end for James Horan. Deserved better but he's right to step down. A new voice is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Keith Higgins did not deserve to be on a losing side today, an absolute masterclass in defending. No platitudes from me to you guys, we'll see youse all next year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

padd b1975 wrote: »
    He did, different times and a bit less commitment required back then.

McStay would be my choice too, not many AI winners knocking around the county.

He's not knocked around Mayo for a very long time.

Syferus wrote: »
    He's not knocked around Mayo for a very long time.

Would you take him if Roscommon had a very poor league and a vacancy arose?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Genuine commiserations from the bottom of my heart.

Love Mayo, and Mayo football, been following ye closely since 2010 (GF from Mayo), and been to plenty of matches.

Be proud of every single player, for their effort, their commitment and their footballing skill which they displayed today.

The likes of Boyle, Higgins, O'Connor, McLoughlin and the O'Shea's are good enough to be on any team in the country, and its only a matter of time before it all clicks, and ye get that All Ireland.

I'm obviously delighted Kerry won, but I wish ye all the best in the future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I really hope Mayo will eventually land that elusive title, I hate that Kerry had to play them as I knew the upset it would cause. I was at both games and saw grown Mayo men cry this evening, I hope I live to see the day Mayo land Sam because it will be as good as a Kerry win, Kerry are the tormentors of Mayo and I commiserate and am truely sorry for the loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭shockframe

Mayo is in a better state right now than a lot of other counties and still in the big 6 or so.

As tough as tonight is at least ye gave it a fine effort. Lots of neutrals say ye are too nice but thats not one thing that springs to mind with mayo since 2011. Anyone that has beaten ye has earned it and it's a far cry from the nice guy image that could be associated with teams of the past.

Mayo were rode by the ref no doubt but Kerry just wouldn't give in and ye deserve great credit but simply the better team just about won and ye came up short. Thats sport.

I do think Mayo still has enough good players to be a force. Galway have some good players but unless they adopt a modern approach Mayo looked better primed for the next few years.Roscommon have underperformed as well so Mayo will still be last 12/8 contenders for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Keith Higgins did not deserve to be on a losing side today, an absolute masterclass in defending. No platitudes from me to you guys, we'll see youse all next year

Higgins was Man of the Match for me here in Meath. Hard luck lads, it will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Thank you James Horan and all the panel and backroom team for your commitment and work. You all truely gave us 4 brilliant exhilarating years.

Thank you and hopefully there will be many more to come.

James you will be missed.
    Maigh eo abu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Thank you James Horan and all the panel and backroom team for your commitment and work. You all truely gave us 4 brilliant exhilarating years.

Thank you and hopefully there will be many more to come.

James you will be missed.
    Maigh eo abu

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement