Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

I'd say the book will be fairly entertaining. I just hope its not too much self proclamation. A proper biography of his training regimen, how he studies MMA, his work ethic. I dont want a gutter to the stars type story, too many of those about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Christ bit ridiculous him writing a book now, like a footballer who writes one after a couple of half decent seasons, surely save it for when your career is over and you actually have more than 3-4 stories to tell.

I know a guy who wrote a book about his life and adventures and it was sold out and had to reprint, he is not writing the follow up book. This guy was an average joe and not a 2 time world champion.

If its well written, informative and funny, it will sell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 begood20000

RoboRat wrote: »
    I know a guy who wrote a book about his life and adventures and it was sold out and had to reprint, he is not writing the follow up book. This guy was an average joe and not a 2 time world champion.

If its well written, informative and funny, it will sell

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I'm not trying to put a downer on anything Conor has done, but just because a company calls belt a "World Title" doesn't really make the holder the "World Champion".

For me, there should be only one "World Champion". Obviously politics and money have stopped that happening in boxing and now every Tom, Dick & Harry can have a version of the World Title.

But in MMA, if you are UFC Champion, you are therefore World Champion as all of the best guys fight int he UFC. Is there a single division where right now there is a Top 5 guy fighting outside of the UFC? Perhaps Bibiano Fernandez? Who else? Maybe Pat Curran?

You can call yourself a World Champ if you hold the Cage Warriors belt or the Bellator belt, but you're not THE World Champion when there's somebody else holding the UFC belt.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭Edsonbarboza

Reading the comments on his FB picture signing the book deal ''3 fights and he has a book deal muppet'' hahah these clowns think he never had a fight before the ufc I love the jealousy out of these people its killing them watching a normal joe soap from dublin making fortunes and whooping ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 begood20000

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I'm not trying to put a downer on anything Conor has done, but just because a company calls belt a "World Title" doesn't really make the holder the "World Champion".

For me, there should be only one "World Champion". Obviously politics and money have stopped that happening in boxing and now every Tom, Dick & Harry can have a version of the World Title.

But in MMA, if you are UFC Champion, you are therefore World Champion as all of the best guys fight int he UFC. Is there a single division where right now there is a Top 5 guy fighting outside of the UFC? Perhaps Bibiano Fernandez? Who else? Maybe Pat Curran?

You can call yourself a World Champ if you hold the Cage Warriors belt or the Bellator belt, but you're not THE World Champion when there's somebody else holding the UFC belt.

It just means you're the world champion of that belt. Anyone in the world can challenge you for that belt. It's just the UFC is the best world belt to have

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Reading the comments on his FB picture signing the book deal ''3 fights and he has a book deal muppet'' hahah these clowns think he never had a fight before the ufc I love the jealousy out of these people its killing them watching a normal joe soap from dublin making fortunes and whooping ass.

As a new MMA fan this kind of stuff really annoys me. The amount of fans who take the sport as a bloodier WWF. Now I know a lot of people watch both, but at the end of the day MMA is an actual sport, with actual competition. I've read stories calling Ronda Rousey a "heel" and people calling McGregor the "People's Champion." I can fully appreciate the drama added to the sport by fighters having a go at each other and winding each other up, but at the end of the day both fighters have to actually fight and all the words said before won't mean a thing. When fans get riled up about this kind of stuff it seems more about watching a soap opera than it does about watching a sport.

I said this to someone on Twitter already, who was commenting on Ronda Rousey being bad for WMMA, that people seem obsessed by title fights. They seem to think that only the top five fighters are worth watching, because that's the only real competition. Saturday was my first time watching MMA and I watched the whole card, prelims and main events. The prelims were just as good as McGregor's fight. There absolutely is a difference in fighters' ability between someone ranked 5th and someone ranked 20th. But a good fight is a good fight, and two low ranked fighters who put on a good contest can be great to watch (based on watching this weekend and fights on fightpass.) The obsession with drama and world championships really sells short what I've seen of the sport: seriously dedicated athletes putting themselves on the line in a fight.

It just means you're the world champion of that belt. Anyone in the world can challenge you for that belt. It's just the UFC is the best world belt to have

But that shouldn't be the case. World Champion should be "Champion of the World".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

But that shouldn't be the case. World Champion should be "Champion of the World".

In an ideal world, yes, but when you compete in different divisions that's not the case.

If you fight opponents from all over the world, beat them and secure and hold a belt, you're a world champion. Simple really.

• Advertisement

MagicIRL wrote: »
    In an ideal world, yes, but when you compete in different divisions that's not the case.

If you fight opponents from all over the world, beat them and secure and hold a belt, you're a world champion. Simple really.

While I get what you're saying, I think that's a very loose definition on what a World Champion should be.

I could open a club and call someone "Irish Champion". Does it mean they can call themselves "Irish Champion" because they go around beating guys of a lower quality but it is in Ireland? I don't think so.

"World Champion" should the the best guy in the world. I know companies like Cage Warriors have to have belts and have champions. That's great.

But once you graduate to the UFC, you can no longer call yourself a "World Champion". You were definitely Champion of that promotion, but not of the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Getting a bit off topic here, I think most would agree that the UFC is the pinnacle of the sport. And most would agree that the champs in the UFC would be the best in the world....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

srumball wrote: »
    Getting a bit off topic here, I think most would agree that the UFC is the pinnacle of the sport. And most would agree that the champs in the UFC would be the best in the world....

Except for Fedor

srumball wrote: »

Dont think anyone would argue that but it crosses the line if someone try's to belittle 2 world titles in cagewarriors as not an achievement imo,fantastic achievement if it was so easy everyone would be doing it.

Now now
    Dont think anyone would argue that but it crosses the line if someone try's to belittle 2 world titles in cagewarriors as not an achievement imo,fantastic achievement if it was so easy everyone would be doing it.
    I'm not trying to put a downer on anything Conor has done........

I never said it wasn't an achievement. Of course it's an achievement.

But being Cage Warriors champion isn't being World Champion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

He has had 3 fights. Mickey Mouse amateur promotions don't count. If you're on the dole then you're not a pro fighter I'm afraid.

Thomas D wrote: »
    He has had 3 fights. Mickey Mouse amateur promotions don't count. If you're on the dole then you're not a pro fighter I'm afraid.

Amazing insight there Mr.D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Amazing insight indeed.
    I'll make this easy for you, Thomas. Since your only contributions to any thread relating to McGregor are negative, and it's clear you only want to come in here and troll and fighter bash......you're no longer welcome to post in this thread.
    If you post in this thread again, or if you continue to troll in the forum, you'll be permanently banned from the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I hate this attitude of you calling new fans clowns. They might not be that into MMA but have a casual interest in the UFC, it doesn't mean they are clowns

• Registered Users Posts: 21,375 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Thomas D wrote: »

Ray D'Arcy, is that you?

• Advertisement

evil_seed wrote: »
    I hate this attitude of you calling new fans clowns. They might not be that into MMA but have a casual interest in the UFC, it doesn't mean they are clowns

What are you talking about where did I say new fans are clowns,the person who made the comment could be a lifelong viewer of UFC and still have that opinion about him having a book after 3 fights in the ufc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    No mention of who is writing it for him.

Eamonn Dunphy

• Registered Users Posts: 39,133 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you need to use a phrase as convoluted as "World champion of that belt" it highlights the silliness of it all.

And most importantly, anyone in the world cannot challenge him.
    MagicIRL wrote: »
    By that logic, I can fight a guy from England, Australia and Iran at a comp here in Sydney. If I win I'm a world champion. I wish. ;)

I'm not trying to belittle his belts, they are great achievements in their own right. I just don't see the need to tack on the tag "world champion". FWIW, I don't consider modern boxing titles or even the UFC titles to be true world titles.

IMO, a world title is more than simply an international competition in a sport. Worlds championships should be open competitions where anyone can enter, or attempt to qualify. And importantly, it must be considered the top level by competitors. This is the case in most sports. But it's not the case in pro boxing or MMA.

And I don't think it matters. Everyone knows the top tier belt is the UFC. Belator and CW are second tier. Simply as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

All this talk of belts when the UFC were unifying belts the pride belts.Didn't all of the UFC title holders win?

Did they do unification for the WEC ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

dave1982 wrote: »
    All this talk of belts when the UFC were unifying belts the pride belts.Didn't all of the UFC title holders win?

Did they do unification for the WEC ?

There are was only one Pride champ v champ fight, Rampage V Hendo and it was Pride Middleweight unifying with UFC light heavyweight as their was no light heavy weight class in Pride (middleweight was under 205) and technically Rampage had come from Pride shortly before the promotion was in Zuffas control and beat Chuck for the title.

The WEC merger was different as the weight classes of Cruz and Aldo didn't exist in the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

There are was only one Pride champ v champ fight, Rampage V Hendo and it was Pride Middleweight unifying with UFC light heavyweight as their was no light heavy weight class in Pride (middleweight was under 205) and technically Rampage had come from Pride shortly before the promotion was in Zuffas control and beat Chuck for the title.

The WEC merger was different as the weight classes of Cruz and Aldo didn't exist in the UFC.

I thought it was Hendo fought both Rampage and Anderson?

And Duh on the WEC I should have thought of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,133 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There are was only one Pride champ v champ fight, Rampage V Hendo and it was Pride Middleweight unifying with UFC light heavyweight as their was no light heavy weight class in Pride (middleweight was under 205)

They also unified the Pride WW belt (183lbs) with the UFC middleweight title when Hendo fought Silva.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Mellor wrote: »
    They also unified the Pride WW belt (183lbs) with the UFC middleweight title when Hendo fought Silva.

They did actually, can't remember it being billed as that as extensively as the Rampage fight maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,234 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

The WEC used to have higher weight classes though, they were just amalgamated into the UFC iirc. Simply weren't high profile or high enough quality to really class as a title unification.

This was a good while before the WEC merged into the UFC.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement