Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,348 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

What gob****e on the Sunday game team decided not to include Bryan Sheehan's brilliant free in the highlights :mad:

Was that the one on the 21 sideline, as soon as he hit it you could hear the crowds reaction, like a bullet, super kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Johnnythefox4

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Was that the one on the 21 sideline, as soon as he hit it you could hear the crowds reaction, like a bullet, super kick.

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

What gob****e on the Sunday game team decided not to include Bryan Sheehan's brilliant free in the highlights :mad:

thats because there is no good/proper angle of it on rte...seen some cracking pics/vids of it online though that really do it justice.

313653.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

thats because there is no good/proper angle of it on rte...seen some cracking pics/vids of it online though that really do it justice.

313653.jpg

Brilliant pic, where'd you lift that from?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭wonga77

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

When's the last time a player burst onto the scene in a manner comparable to O'Donoghue in the last two years?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

keane2097 wrote: »
    When's the last time a player burst onto the scene in a manner comparable to O'Donoghue in the last two years?
    Lets play a game of Hangman...

G _ _ C H

;)

(Michael Murphy burst on the scene in similar style as well, but obviously a different player physically)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

keane2097 wrote: »

Colm Cooper. :pac:

Also guys, did anyone see Jordan Kiely's goal for the Minors.

Was Gooch-esque from the Crokes man. Lovely little lob.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Very surprising result yesterday

I never thought for a minute that Cork would be a credible contender for 2014, regardless of their league regular season record, but I also never though they would perform so badly at home in a Munster final.

Well done to Kerry, they all played their A game and regardless of what Cork were up to they were deserving winners.

That win now almost guarantees them a place in the SF (as A side qualifiers are so weak) and unless they meet Mayo in that SF they will face no further serious opposition to the final.

Hopefully for Kerry JOD shoulder will hold up in the coming games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Must be something in the water down Cahersiveen way when it comes to frees :)

One of my favourites scores of all time,

Hopefully someone will upload a clip of Sheehan's point from yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Thanks to my mate from Cork for this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Will that was a fun day out in Cork :)

Great performance by the minors set things up perfectly and then the senior game.

After the first five minutes it looked like there might be a game but then Cork just completely collapsed. Woof.

However I really wouldn't be getting carried away with the result given how abysmal Cork were.

The amount of time and space the Kerry players got all over the pitch was incredible, but especially the full-forward line. It was as if the Cork players had no concept whatsoever of the concept of marking. James O'Donoghue must have thought all his Christmases came at once - he doesn't get that sort of space and loose marking in clubs games but in a Munster final.

Cork had not clue one what they were at tactically and this lack of tactics was compounded by a complete failure by pretty much every one of their players to perform.

I think this clip I found really shows how bad Cork were - in this you would nearly swear Cork were down to 9 or 10 men given the amount of space Kerry have

You can only beat what's in front of you but yesterday so very little was required to beat Cork.

Still we'll take it and rest up for the trip to Croker.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

wonga77 wrote: »

Mindblowing score!Great camera work to boot.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭roll

lads, anyone know if the match will be repeated on any channel this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

roll wrote: »

It should be available to watch on the RTE Player

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

roll wrote: »

RTE player should have it. And TG4 website should have highlights of the minor game, they showed it last night on GAA Beo

Crokes beaten today and out of the championship.....

big shock, no all ireland for Gooch again next march. who are the favourites now, legion??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Crokes beaten today and out of the championship.....

big shock, no all ireland for Gooch again next march. who are the favourites now, legion??

shocked to hear that after how one sided the last couple of championships were who knocked them out?, is there no back door or second chance in the kerry championship?

shocked to hear that after how one sided the last couple of championships were who knocked them out?, is there no back door or second chance in the kerry championship?

This was their 2nd chance - Rathmore beat them in the 1st round.

Crokes were going for the 5 in a row in terms of county titles (and they lost the final by a point in 2009, so could have been going for six - never nice to lose a record like this and especially not to their townie rivals but Crokes will come again. I had heard the Crokes lads had taken a fair chunk of banter off the Rathmore lads after the 1st round loss - there was some texts involved a picture of a cow I heard - didnt fully get the details, but after losing to the Legion lads I'd say some of the Crokes might just be tempted to hop on the first plane out of Farranfore in the morning - the Crokes lads will hear that it was Legion who stopped their 5 in a row for years to come.

After seeing East Kerry (who lost to Laune Rangers in ET) beat Legion in the first round, I'd have to say I'd be surprised if Legion managed to put a serious run at the county championship together but with Crokes out of the way, it really opens things up quite a bit.

South Kerry would be favourites now I'd imagine - they won handy enough without Declan O'Sullivan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Boom__Boom wrote: »

Crokes were going for the 5 in a row in terms of county titles (and they lost the final in 2009) so could have been going for six - never nice to lose a record like this and especially not to their townie rivals but Crokes will come again.

After seeing East Kerry beat Legion in the first round, I'd be surprised if Legion
    managed to put a serious run at the county championship together but with Crokes out of the way, it really opens things up quite a bit.

South Kerry would be favourites now I'd imagine - they won handy enough without Declan O'Sullivan.

South Kerry and Mid Kerry best placed to take a shot at the title now from what I've seen. Mid Kerry going well and may I say, in Gavan O'Grady they have a forward who is using the championship so far to make a strong case for callup to the Kerry squad. Great game today v Feale Rangers to add to his excellent displays v St Kierans and for the Kerry juniors.

Stacks still in it aswell and will fancy their chances, but would fancy both divisional teams above to beat them myself.

Shocked at Crokes demise. Lot of questions will be asked there I'd imagine. Fair play to Legion though. They have JOD and Conor Keane up front and it goes to show that when you have a bit of structure and quality forwards,you can get results. 0-17 is excellent scoring.

South Kerry
    Mid Kerry
    Stacks
    Legion
    Shannon Rangers
    Laune Rangers
    Dingle
    West Kerry

Are the teams in the 1/4 finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Boom__Boom wrote: »

Crokes were going for the 5 in a row in terms of county titles (and they lost the final by a point in 2009, so could have been going for six - never nice to lose a record like this and especially not to their townie rivals but Crokes will come again. I had heard the Crokes lads had taken a fair chunk of banter off the Rathmore lads after the 1st round loss - there was some texts involved a picture of a cow I heard - didnt fully get the details, but after losing to the Legion lads I'd say some of the Crokes might just be tempted to hop on the first plane out of Farranfore in the morning - the Crokes lads will hear that it was Legion who stopped their 5 in a row for years to come.

After seeing East Kerry (who lost to Laune Rangers in ET) beat Legion in the first round, I'd have to say I'd be surprised if Legion managed to put a serious run at the county championship together but with Crokes out of the way, it really opens things up quite a bit.

ah yes the dreaded 5 in a row , it only seems to work in counties like wicklow and armagh where there is no real championship bar one good team, it will be a blessing in disguise in my opinion , i remember looking back at some of the resultes in the kerry championship last year before the cratloe/crokes munster final and in fairness i was shocked at how one sided it was

it might be no consolation to crokes people tonight but that result is good as a whole for kerry football especially after last week , i have no doubt it will improve the championship as a result

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭wonga77

The divisional sides will improve from here on in, normally they are slow to get going at the start but the longer they can keep together they get a bit of momentum, it will be a good while before the next round though id say. When are the draws on?

wonga77 wrote: »
    The divisional sides will improve from here on in, normally they are slow to get going at the start but the longer they can keep together they get a bit of momentum, it will be a good while before the next round though id say. When are the draws on?

Draw is this week or next week but as you say, 1/4 finals won't be happening until Kerry are finished..which hopefully will mean September!

Crokes exit really has opened up the competition. No offence to them but it probably is no harm. Divisional sides will improve from here and that can only be good for the standard of play. Having the likes of South and Mid Kerry out of the championship before they could get organised weakened the competition considerably and both those are contenders this year.

Quick mention for my own crowd Shannon Rangers who have made the quarters for the first time in..a long time! Decent achievement for an amalgamation of 6 small junior clubs who have (like others) lost a lot of players for the summer months.

Stacks beat Rathmore impressively in the Park on Saturday evening.

Lot of strong backs, they play like Kerry are now. Strong line of backs across their own 45 and then hit hard on the break with Shane O'Callaghan, David Mannix and Darragh O'Brien up front.

Fearghal McNamara was very impressive in the backs. Star was very good around the middle with Guthrie and Shane Carroll kicked some lovely frees.

Barry Shanahan has a decent enough game for the Stacks and we could see him on the Kerry panel next year in the league.

Rathmore struggled to win the breaks around the middle. O'Mahoney looked good and Murphy kept O'Callaghan quiet once he was switched onto him, but the rest looked a bit out of their depth.

Dingle beat St. Brendans in the first game. St. Brendans were awful, though missing a lot of key players. Looked totally devoid of practice as a team. I'm surprised they beat Currow to be honest. Dingle weren't a whole pile more impressive. Mikey Geaney played most of the game at Centre Half Back, and his main job appeared to be foul Alan O'Donaghue or get someone else to foul him. The whole Dingle half forward line get yellow cards in a 5 minute period for fouls on O'Donaghue who was battered.

Apart from O'Donaghue, St. Brendans were listless, and struggled completely into the strong wind in the second half.

Paul Geaney looked decent on the ball, and was more focussed on trying to set others up then go himself. Mattiú O'Flaitherta (who's a Kerry minor) played very well with number 6 on his back he played at Wing Forward and got the crucial goal at the start of the 2nd half to kill the game off.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Stacks beat Rathmore impressively in the Park on Saturday evening.

Lot of strong backs, they play like Kerry are now. Strong line of backs across their own 45 and then hit hard on the break with Shane O'Callaghan, David Mannix and Darragh O'Brien up front.

Fearghal McNamara was very impressive in the backs. Star was very good around the middle with Guthrie and Shane Carroll kicked some lovely frees.

Barry Shanahan has a decent enough game for the Stacks and we could see him on the Kerry panel next year in the league.

Rathmore struggled to win the breaks around the middle. O'Mahoney looked good and Murphy kept O'Callaghan quiet once he was switched onto him, but the rest looked a bit out of their depth.

Dingle beat St. Brendans in the first game. St. Brendans were awful, though missing a lot of key players. Looked totally devoid of practice as a team. I'm surprised they beat Currow to be honest. Dingle weren't a whole pile more impressive. Mikey Geaney played most of the game at Centre Half Back, and his main job appeared to be foul Alan O'Donaghue or get someone else to foul him. The whole Dingle half forward line get yellow cards in a 5 minute period for fouls on O'Donaghue who was battered.

Apart from O'Donaghue, St. Brendans were listless, and struggled completely into the strong wind in the second half.

Paul Geaney looked decent on the ball, and was more focussed on trying to set others up then go himself. Mattiú O'Flaitherta (who's a Kerry minor) played very well with number 6 on his back he played at Wing Forward and got the crucial goal at the start of the 2nd half to kill the game off.
    s

Stacks were always going to win with the Rathmore missing-in-action list. Pity for Rathmore, beating Crokes but limping out like that then.

Anyway, I see Stacks had Donaghy midfield? They're not going to win a championship with him out there and it's not good from a Kerry perspective either.
    Dingle have a very,very young team, (probably missing one of their best young players Cathal Bambury aswell) but if opponents aren't tight enough they can rip you apart. Would suggest they would be outmuscled by a lot of teams though.
    I assume Ferghal Mc was marking Geaney DDC? How'd he do?

s

Stacks were always going to win with the Rathmore missing-in-action list. Pity for Rathmore, beating Crokes but limping out like that then.

Anyway, I see Stacks had Donaghy midfield? They're not going to win a championship with him out there and it's not good from a Kerry perspective either.
    Dingle have a very,very young team, (probably missing one of their best young players Cathal Bambury aswell) but if opponents aren't tight enough they can rip you apart. Would suggest they would be outmuscled by a lot of teams though.
    I assume Ferghal Mc was marking Geaney DDC? How'd he do?
    Star did well at midfield. Looked very fit, good leaping and good workrate.

You are right, Dingle had a massive panel and they must have had 15+ guys 17/18/19. Really youthful, but their starting 15 didn't seem that small.

Fearghal Mc was playing in the Stacks/Rathmore game, so wasn't marking Geaney. I'm not overly familiar with the Rathmore team so I'm not sure who he was marking.

s

I heard Rathmore were missing Shane Ryan - who else where they missing?

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Star did well at midfield. Looked very fit, good leaping and good workrate.

You are right, Dingle had a massive panel and they must have had 15+ guys 17/18/19. Really youthful, but their starting 15 didn't seem that small.

Fearghal Mc was playing in the Stacks/Rathmore game, so wasn't marking Geaney. I'm not overly familiar with the Rathmore team so I'm not sure who he was marking.

That's my "Monday moment" for today anyway! Dunno what I was thinking there.

Donaghy might have done ok in that game but he is not a good midfielder and will be exposed if left there. There aren't many fullbacks in the competition who would fancy marking him though..that's where he will end up you'd think, although going by last year Stacks management are no tactical geniuses (genii?) so who knows.

• Advertisement

so lads, confident of a final place now that our path to the final is relatively well known?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement