Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still Waters No Longer Running, Derp.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Especially considering tht Brooks is a big supporter of gay rights, given that he had a lesbian sister who was a fairly big part of his band until she died last year.

Does Jawn not realise this?

That's a wrong fact and can be ignored, unlike a right fact, which must be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭swampgas

Buried in that mountain of waffle is this:
    ... the nonsense closes in around you, a bubble of regurgitated cant that smells of stale bull****.

Sounds like a pretty good description of his own prose to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Jim Rockford

The waters hatefest is getting a bit old at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

By comparison, his hatefest for anything not fitting in with de Valera's diddly-eye dream of Ireland must have arisen when the universe was still immeasurably hot billionths of a second after the Big Bang.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

He's only 59 and nobody's forcing him to write.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hmmm if JW is back in the saddle so as to speak, does that mean we can't include Breda on this thread any more?

She had a laughably bad piece in the IT on Saturday.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/bert-and-ernie-s-romance-offers-a-lesson-in-tolerance-1.1863318?page=1
    Given that gay marriage is currently illegal in Northern Ireland, how can there be any grounds for claiming discrimination?

I'm pretty sure that's the most stupid sentence I've ever seen written in a broadsheet newspaper.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Hmmm if JW is back in the saddle so as to speak, does that mean we can't include Breda on this thread any more?

She had a laughably bad piece in the IT on Saturday.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/bert-and-ernie-s-romance-offers-a-lesson-in-tolerance-1.1863318?page=1

I'm pretty sure that's the most stupid sentence I've ever seen written in a broadsheet newspaper.
    Does this mean Iona no longer view Christians as being persecuted in China since the law allows it?

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

robindch wrote: »
    He's only 59 and nobody's forcing him to write.
    i prefer this approach.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZARnK4WemU

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

If being Catholic was illegal in Ireland, would Breda have no grounds for complaint about being discriminated against?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I thought it was a typical Waters article, albeit slightly more angry than normal. Then he starting getting at Sweden. What the hell???

Also, I noticed the following bits where his thesaurus crawling abilities weren't up to scratch:

Hmm, there's another bit like that, but I'll be damned if I try reading through that again.

• Advertisement

The Swedish thing was odd. He's on a soapbox about people making assumptions about him, then he proceeds to refer to the Swedish way of doing things as The Worst Way Ever. Way to make assumptions John. Was one of his exes Swedish or something? Did he have a run in with a surly member of staff in Ikea?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

I think it's the unnaturalness of saunas that gets to him, all those naked sweaty bodies in close proximity, it's the path to hell I tells ya, well saunas and the counter example of a tolerant secular social democratic state where life seems reasonably good.

Maybe he doesn't like meatballs and the unnaturalness of daim cake. Or he's pissed about expedit being discontinued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

It's because saunas make his hair go frizzy.

All his hair.

B0jangles wrote: »

All his hair.
    I did not need that image in my mind just now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

B0jangles wrote: »

All his hair.

ಠ_ಠ

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I always thought it was the Finns that brought us the sauna, that plus reliable phones and interesting metal bands. The Swedes gave us flatpack furniture, reliable cars and interesting metal bands.

Maybe Jawn had a bad experience with a flatpack desk in a Saab at some point in his life?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Nodin wrote: »
    "Since the 'bother' erupted in January - as a result of a stranger in drag presuming factlessly to define me, and prompting a mob of cowards and chancers to jump at the chance of a casual lynching - I often found myself thinking that the Ireland I grew up in and loved so unconditionally had gone for ever. It seemed that we had arrived someplace that was not merely post-irony and post-reason, but which had also left behind the possibility of perspective, balance, fairness, truth or decency. "

"In the depths of February, I went to London and found myself walking around wondering if, what with the way things were going, I could live there now and start over, not caring about the public life of the place I lived in, privatising myself and emulating several of my peers by writing indifferent novels as though Beckett and Kafka had never bothered to burn the building. I decided to come back and give it another lash. \"
    http://www.independent.ie/opinion/searching-for-the-soul-of-the-true-ireland-30426465.html

Why? We're not good enough for you, o great one. Londinium is the place for thee!

Oh , Christ on a bike, Nodin. Don't send him over here, please :eek:

Yeah, maybe if you tell the indo that, they'll get him to tone it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

P_1 wrote: »
    I always thought it was the Finns that brought us the sauna, that plus reliable phones and interesting metal bands. The Swedes gave us flatpack furniture, reliable cars and interesting metal bands.

Maybe Jawn had a bad experience with a flatpack desk in a Saab at some point in his life?

I'd say his real problem with Sweden lies in the way they welcome immigrants, and happily dilute their culture. He probably bemoans the fact they gave ABBA to the world, rather than traditional Swedish music.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Some of the replies are hilarious

"It is wonderful to see that you have lost none of your ability to eloquently express what so many of us who are confined to silence, except in narrow private trusted circles, out of fear of falling foul of the thought police, our true feelings regarding Ireland's current afflictions, when not suppressed by the tyranny of political correctness."

:D:D

Pherekydes wrote: »
    He probably bemoans the fact they gave ABBA to the world, rather than traditional Swedish music.
    I'm thinking that he's annoyed at ABBA since they won the Eurovision and went on to have a successful career in the music business and he didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Wonder why he feels it necessary to point out the stranger was 'in drag', can't see how that alters ones ability to slander, or take offence at the alleged slander.

Wonder why he feels it necessary to point out the stranger was 'in drag', can't see how that alters ones ability to slander, or take offence at the alleged slander.

Drag = Dirty, Dirty, Wrong!!!!!!!

....which terms could in no way be applied to this article by the suitably trousered Martyred One, no......
    http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/john-waters-we-have-been-conditioned-to-think-of-pregnancy-as-an-imposition-on-a-woman-29365730.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Jim Rockford

What's even more amusing than waters, is someone calling themselves panti bliss, while dressed as drag queen, stamping their heel while demanding to be taken seriously :D

What's even more amusing than waters, is someone calling themselves panti bliss, while dressed as drag queen, stamping their heel while demanding to be taken seriously :D

Do you always judge people on what they're wearing? Is the relative seriousness of a comment directly linked to what the person making the comment is wearing or what their name is?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Not that it matters, but Rory made his comments that kicked off Pantigate while dressed heterosexually.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

while dressed heterosexually.

O_o

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Not that it matters, but Rory made his comments that kicked off Pantigate while dressed heterosexually.

Incognito, as it were. Perhaps that sort should be made to wear some sort of badge

• Advertisement

goose2005 wrote: »
    Incognito, as it were. Perhaps that sort should be made to wear some sort of badge

Perhaps a jaunty pink triangle could be affixed to outer clothing. And other groups could wear similar identifying shapes.

Advertisement