Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

murria wrote: »
    I'm a huge fan of EFT Lukesmom. Been using it for years with my family and kids I work with. I've mentioned it on here a few times but no one has ever picked up on it. Its so simple and effective for emotional trauma, anxiety, panic attacks, etc. Also check out Faster EFT, Robert G. Smith, he has loads of You Tube videos.

Yeah I have only been using the technique a few days but it's had a dramatic effect on my mood and anxiety. So simple to do, free and on tap 24/7.

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Have a head like a sieve, EFT? I will google it, might try see if son will give it a try :)

Emotional freedom technique. It involves tapping on 7 pressure points while accepting the condition out loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,850 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

lukesmom wrote: »
    Emotional freedom technique. It involves tapping on 7 pressure points while accepting the condition out loud.

Thank you, am glad you found something that really helps :) .

Son in a not so bad place of mind at the minute, for which I am delighted , took a long time to get to even this so am really appreciative of all the help he has received and still is getting.

My heart breaks when I read some of the posts, I can identify with what you all say , I truly wish i had some magic words that would take away everyone's pain, sadly I don't. . But please please please, even on the darkest days, never give up the fight , one day , everyone will get there.

That includes myself too, some days are easier than others where I put my game face on and brave the world, others not so easy. hopefully eventually, we'll all find some kind of peace of mind.

Sorry for the long ramble , only intended to say thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

My better half Mrs. Wexie likes to watch a show called 19 Kids and counting (link is from 2 kids ago) about quite a religious family with 19 kids.

They all seem very happy and well adjusted. Now I really don't want to start a discussion about the merits of birth control or reality TV, just wondering are any of you religious and if so does it help fighting depression. It just seems that having a strong faith would perhaps help?

I'm not particularly religious (Mrs. W is though, we're an odd mix) and don't really want to get into a discussion about it for fear of offending anyone here either. Just wondering does the acceptance and faith that things happen for a reason help. **

**clearly this is a sensitive subject and I genuinely don't want to upset anyone or cause any trouble so please feel free to ignore post or delete if deemed appropriate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

I think the stats/evidence show that religious beliefs can help.
    I think myself its due to

1)
    praying having a very similar effect on the mind as meditation / mindfullness practice.

2)
    Leaving "things to god's will/higher power" can be a good reliever of obsessive worrying / rumination type behavior.

3)
    I read an excellent book about how all the current religions were originally basically based on the principle of compassion.*
    Having compassion/helping others has been shown to be very positive for one's own mental help.
    *(The book suggested these beliefs arose in different regions - india/china etc due to the intense social changes going on x thousand years ago.)

But
    I think the religions can have a huge negative effects on mental health - like the emotional effects of guilt and the fear of hell in the catholic religion.

For me personally - I find some buddist views about life useful and think being raised a catholic in ireland did not help me.
    For example - I found the "turn the other cheek" "teaching" - when being bullied in national school - confusing and it worried me a great deal at a very young age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Atheist here. Existential ain't part of my Angst though :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I would say the strict roman catholic nature of things led to a lot of guilt for me, i'm gay and grew up in an age where i didn't even know the word, but still it was wrong. It has proven somewhat formative in that it is something that has come up in therapy. So for me, personally, i'm a bit allergic to religion almost in general. I've never really managed to get through it as an issue.

Going to stop taking mirtazapine. Don't see the psych doc until August 13th but I'm sick of the weight issue and sweet cravings. I came off it for 7 weeks before and had no withdrawals just a little insomnia but went back on it when going through a rough patch a few months ago. I reckon I should be okay as I'm on plenty of other meds :) and the only thing mirt has done is make me sleep and eat too much. My psych doc never wanted me back on it but I wouldn't listen. Wish me luck.

lukesmom wrote: »
    Going to stop taking mirtazapine. Don't see the psych doc until August 13th but I'm sick of the weight issue and sweet cravings. I came off it for 7 weeks before and had no withdrawals just a little insomnia but went back on it when going through a rough patch a few months ago. I reckon I should be okay as I'm on plenty of other meds :) and the only thing mirt has done is make me sleep and eat too much. My psych doc never wanted me back on it but I wouldn't listen. Wish me luck.

Changed my mind. Too impulsive will wait until I see my doctor next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Hope everyone doing ok. I think im starting to come down of my manic episode.
    Going to try focus on the pieces of the puzzle rather than the finished product.
    So for today, im going to shower and go for a little walk, that's my job for today.
    Have to be careful not to get into too much of a low.
    Keep the faith guys.

• Advertisement

handbagmad wrote: »
    Hope everyone doing ok. I think im starting to come down of my manic episode.
    Going to try focus on the pieces of the puzzle rather than the finished product.
    So for today, im going to shower and go for a little walk, that's my job for today.
    Have to be careful not to get into too much of a low.
    Keep the faith guys.

Hi that's good you are getting out for a walk the fresh air will do you good. I'm ok was going to come off one of my nightly tablets but changed my mind I'm too impulsive and will wait till I see the psych doc next month. It's the weight gain that annoys me. Maybe she will suggest an alternative. I'm off to Spain tomorrow for two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Tonight I lost my son to this, leaving a partner and two wonderful kids behind. Things were going right for him and he could not see it, f#ck you, you evil destroyer

Tonight I lost my son to this, leaving a partner and two wonderful kids behind. Things were going right for him and he could not see it, f#ck you, you evil destroyer

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Oh I'm so sorry Bernard, if you want to chat or anything let me know.. My thoughts are with you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I'm so so sorry for your loss. A lad I grew up with amd neighnour died by suicide the week just gone and though we can all be in a rough place the level of devastation it has caused and the shock it has caused to all that knew him has knocked me for 6. A lovely chap that I would never have imagined would do it. Then again who can you say who would and who wouldn't. I could never imagine doing it anymore after seeing the heartbreak it has caused to his mother father and brothers, to everyone - even my own family I don't think I could ever inflict the pain on them. Again sorry for your own loss and may he rest in peace

Oh no, I'm so very very sorry for the loss of your son. I am lost for words Bernard May he rest in perfect peace. And leaving his partner and kids behind he must have been in a terrible way. I've been there so many times. I'm so so sorry. May you find the strength you need for the days ahead my condolances to you :( x

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

Very sorry to hear this Bernard. My thoughts are with you and your family at this difficult time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

So sorry to hear this Bernard. Its a terrible thing that most never have to confront. Thoughts with you and the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,850 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

So sorry for your loss Bernard, words fail me, thoughts with you and your family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

Bernard,

sincere condolences, very sad reading that, hope you & your family enjoy better times ahead.

best,
    Daithi

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Very sorry to hear that Bernard. My thoughts are with you and yours.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Very sorry for your loss Bernard. My most sincere condolences during what must be a difficult time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I just found out that my manager has discussed my depression with another manager with either my knowledge or consent.

Apparently his justification was that he needed to let someone know as he's going on holidays (till tuesday!!! :mad:).

Up till now he's been one of two people in work to know, my manager and a close colleague who needed to know.

I'm in the middle of drafting an email tearing his head off and essentially saying I'll be taking this to higher level management and HR but I've decided I'll go bring the dogs for a walk before I send it.

Am I overreacting? Surely this is seriously out of order and highly unprofessional?
    (to make matters worse he's married to one of our high level HR managers so he should really have known better).

(mods, if ye don't mind I'm going to post this in work issues as well, as a thread. I hope you appreciate quite why I'd like to get the 2 different view points)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Sleep on it before sending, I say. He was wrong to discuss it, but sending an email when angry is rarely a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Wexie. . I don't blame you for being angry about this manager passing on sensitive information regarding your health and I certainly do not think you are overreacting. I would consider what benefits there would be from making an official complaint or at least ask yourself what you hope to achieve by it.

While there is no doubt an issue I suppose the question I am wondering is how supportive has this manager been ? Do you feel he was just discussing it needlessly or do you feel he was genuinely trying to help?

People can argue over whether or not the manager was out of order, but if he made a mistake, while intending to support you, I would consider being less formal about complaining. Perhaps say it to him that you felt uncomfortable/disappointed/angry with him sharing this information with another manager and would prefer that he speaks with you first before sharing it further.

Complaining will make your condition official, may require that you discuss how you feel further, may require a meeting (with HR/complaints board) and may mean that you lose the support of a manager (if this manager has actually been supportive).

I am not saying what you should do, I am only suggesting that you try to calm down (go for a walk as you suggested) and consider all the variables before taking action. I don't think anybody would argue that you are within your right to complain, what I am trying to ask you is whether or not you will get any benefit/comfort/satisfaction from making it official.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Here is a great quote for all you who are down:

“My dear,
    In the midst of hate, I found there was, within me, an invincible love.
    In the midst of tears, I found there was, within me, an invincible smile.
    In the midst of chaos, I found there was, within me, an invincible calm.
    I realized, through it all, that…
    In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer.
    And that makes me happy. For it says that no matter how hard the world pushes against me, within me, there’s something stronger – something better, pushing right back.

Truly yours,
    Albert Camus”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Wexie, it is totally wrong. Completely breaks confidentiality. He should have asked your permission first. I've had similar happen in past.
    you have a right to your privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Suggest to all here to try mindfulness, great course in Dublin "Oscailt" Pembroke road, very very good.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Kevlar Bay

Suggest to all here to try mindfulness, great course in Dublin "Oscailt" Pembroke road, very very good.

+1000 on mindfulness. Although always thought it was a strange name as the goal is to clear your thoughts from your focus.

Advertisement