Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I really don't leave town much, and i think i'd be too nervous to participate, sorry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

I really don't leave town much, and i think i'd be too nervous to participate, sorry.

same with me. cant even pick up the motivation to eat some days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Roquentin wrote: »
    same with me. cant even pick up the motivation to eat some days

ALWAYS keep milk in the fridge for days like this. (Adare milk is creamier and has more protein/good fats.) But soya/nut milks are good too.

Its very easy to pour a glass of milk and drink it. Much easier than having to make a meal or even chew.

(in saying that, sometimes I do go on Ensure, as it can be difficult to make sure you're getting all the nutrients you need.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Hang in there. Try to break your big problem in to a bunch of smaller problems and see if any of them can get solved or de prioritised.
    Get financial and/or mental counselling?
    But we all have something, just need to dig deep to realise what it is.

Good luck.

hi thanks for that. My payments were stopped without notice. I have to meet wit welfare officer tomorrow. Feel like im begging for money. This country is corupt and backward.
    I've lived of off cereal and milk since Thursday.
    It will work out hopefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

It's a nice idea, in theory, but complicated. Especially if people have the impression it's a beers.

hmm yeah, I was just thinking it would be nice to go to a social gathering where you don't feel you have to explain or feel like you need to make small talk and the awkward silences aren't so awkward :D

I'm trying very hard and forcing myself to go out regularly when the kids have birthday parties etc. Thankfully usually there will be either kids or animals to engage with so I don't need to interact with too many adult strangers.

It's hard work though and usually I need to sit down on my own (or with my dog who's a brilliant friend) for a bit to gather myself.

I guess I wanted to transfer some of the peace and comfort I get from sitting in the back garden and looking out to the sea and just listening to the quiet. I guess it's probably not for everyone though.

Sometimes I wish I could buy some more land and just become a homesteader and build my own little domain. I'm sure it's much more complicated but sometimes I just feel I'd be better suited to a life long ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

It doesnt feel like that long ago since I posted here to say that I was doing good lately but feel it slipping further and further away from over the last few weeks again. I feel like I'm slipping back into a dark hole. I dont know really what to say ... just feeling lost. I'm heading on holidays in under 3 weeks and looking forward to getting away but it seems like an eternity to get that far really.

I apologise to others who are in a darker place to me and I empatise with them but just needed to off load thw lack of emptiness running through myself again....

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Helfyre

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    It doesnt feel like that long ago since I posted here to say that I was doing good lately but feel it slipping further and further away from over the last few weeks again. I feel like I'm slipping back into a dark hole. I dont know really what to say ... just feeling lost. I'm heading on holidays in under 3 weeks and looking forward to getting away but it seems like an eternity to get that far really.

I apologise to others who are in a darker place to me and I empatise with them but just needed to off load thw lack of emptiness running through myself again....

I can understand. I'm sorry. Personally, I had severe depression for four years and was on various drugs, mostly to stop the self harm, and to help with my PTSD (that's what I mean when I say anxiety disorder). I recently got off the Lexapro. (Antidepressant), due to my boyfriend. First month I was fine and I think, hey it's over, rejoice? Wrong. I'm slipping back into it, I'm having my urges to pick up razorblades. (I don't know why, it makes me feel better, probably endorphins? )
    I'm slipping back to where I was, honestly it's a hopeless place. For me when I get depressed though I don't know if this is true for everyone, my chest aches like I've had my heart broken. Constantly.
    Thing is, I don't think depression ever really leaves you. I think it's always waiting in the wings. My therapist has helped me though. I don't know if you are receiving help But it makes a world of difference and antidepressants aren't the evil horrible thing they are made out to be. They have their time and place, and they helped me. Sorry about this, all I can say is, help helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Helfyre wrote: »
    I can understand. I'm sorry. Personally, I had severe depression for four years and was on various drugs, mostly to stop the self harm, and to help with my PTSD (that's what I mean when I say anxiety disorder). I recently got off the Lexapro. (Antidepressant), due to my boyfriend. First month I was fine and I think, hey it's over, rejoice? Wrong. I'm slipping back into it, I'm having my urges to pick up razorblades. (I don't know why, it makes me feel better, probably endorphins? )
    I'm slipping back to where I was, honestly it's a hopeless place. For me when I get depressed though I don't know if this is true for everyone, my chest aches like I've had my heart broken. Constantly.
    Thing is, I don't think depression ever really leaves you. I think it's always waiting in the wings. My therapist has helped me though. I don't know if you are receiving help But it makes a world of difference and antidepressants aren't the evil horrible thing they are made out to be. They have their time and place, and they helped me. Sorry about this, all I can say is, help helps.

I get this too, it's either that or complete blankness. As time goes by the blankness is taking over, not sure I'm even here anymore kind of feeling. Without the internet I would probably assume I was the only person in the world like this, and that would lead to further fear. The relative anonymity means at least people can be honest without facing ridicule.

F*-kity f**k..... Love to be on the top of a mountain screaming my lungs out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

daithi7 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your dog, they become the centre of any loving owners life, so I can empathise, but it sounds like you did the right thing for the dog, good on you.

re your life from your posts, you got a whole plethora of things going on, but when you get to know people & life a bit better, you'll realise everyone has. Mind your mum over the summer, often looking out for a loved one is the best most positive way to channel our own energies into something truly positive, that has the nice secondary effect of getting us away from our own troubles....

France sounds like an excellent opportunity for a fresh start in an exciting new country. But be prepared for a bit of social isolation, due to language barriers & cultural différences & so on. You're going to have to really get your French as good as you can and have plans to break into social outlets there e.g. thru sport, clubs, friends, college, etc.

lastly its great to plan for the future, in. fact its a vital part of life. but we must all remember to live in the present while we'redoing it and to get the best out of every day and every hour, that's how you end up living a fulfilled happy life. Good luck to you.

p.s. 23 is a great age, what I'd do to be 23 again, but people forget most guys are uptight and bloody self conscious when they're that age. i know for me it took till i was around 28 until i truly realised that you only pass this way once, and to make the most of life. You can't just flick this realisation switch, but it probably can help to realise there will be an age sometime soon, when you really accept yourself as you are and your life as it is, not necessarily how you want you or it to be, and the ironic thing is that is the day when both you and your life go on an upward trajectory....

Hi Daithí. Sorry for only responding now. Thanks for the lovely post. These posts came to my mind today and I guess the focal point of my problems is that I don't like myself and have a lot of screwed up thinking from bad experiences (mainly bullying at school). I feel so alone for not being accepted, but I think realistically it's in my head that nobody accepts me. Even though it was blatantly obvious that nobody liked me. What I probably interpret as being ignored is just people getting on with their lives. I should try and relax more in myself as I know I'll never be happy as long as I'm happy in myself.

Maybe a fresh start will put things in perspective. I know I have the tendency to think the grass is always greener, so just getting on with life and not assuming is the way to go. Well, it'll have to be.:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I just lost my father and its the day after the funeral and everyone has gone away and I just feel so low and lost. I hope I'm not slipping into depression (I already have anxiety disorder).

In a really low mood today. Can't motivate myself to get out of bed let alone eat something.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I just lost my father and its the day after the funeral and everyone has gone away and I just feel so low and lost. I hope I'm not slipping into depression (I already have anxiety disorder).

In a really low mood today. Can't motivate myself to get out of bed let alone eat something.:(

Very sorry to hear that.
    I couldn't function right for weeks and weeks afterwards , its perfectly natural imo.
    I would go to berevment counselling at some point though , I got a bit of a land around the year's anniversity , partly i think because i didn't do any.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

So sorry about the loss of your father may he rest in perfect peace. I too have an anxiety disorder. You are not alone

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Hi Daithí. Sorry for only responding now. Thanks for the lovely post. These posts came to my mind today and I guess the focal point of my problems is that I don't like myself and have a lot of screwed up thinking from bad experiences (mainly bullying at school). I feel so alone for not being accepted, but I think realistically it's in my head that nobody accepts me. Even though it was blatantly obvious that nobody liked me. What I probably interpret as being ignored is just people getting on with their lives. I should try and relax more in myself as I know I'll never be happy as long as I'm happy in myself.

Maybe a fresh start will put things in perspective. I know I have the tendency to think the grass is always greener, so just getting on with life and not assuming is the way to go. Well, it'll have to be.:)

I've had a tough few days. Yesterday I got to the point where I thought I was going mad. There is not always an identifiable trigger with me. Things can be going by nicely and all of a sudden the weather changes and I start to feel different.

My life used to be one big struggle. It was one episode with the odd break and then straight back down to depression/anxiety. Dreading everything, looking forward to nothing and asking myself whats the point. .

I have tried CBT in the past (and it works), but there are times when I get relapses of desperation/depression. What I really believe (but don't always feel), is that the answer is inside of me.

I say that now, with some balance, but when I am in the middle of a bout of depression I just want to get out of myself. I want to do something to take my mind off how I feel. The thought of a "new beginning" in something usually pops in there. Yesterday it was about my job, I started looking at new career paths. Its actually something I do want to explore, but yesterday (when I was feeling awful) was the wrong time to focus on that. I was focusing on it because I didn't want to keep feeling how I felt.

What I learned is that I haven't yet got the tools to be at one with my mind and my body. I cant yet understand what they are telling me. I really believe when I am feeling that low, that once I start looking outside of myself for answers (people, places, things) or to pick me up, I am not dealing with the issue at hand.

What I believe is my (and perhaps yours aswell) solution is to learn to be at peace with myself without the need to rely on things outside of me. When I feel balanced, I know that its because I feel well inside of me. I used to think what I write is some sort of airy fairy hippy stuff, but to be frank I have never been more self aware to the state of my mental health.

I used to think that I trusted a select amount of people. Going to therapy helped me realise that I trusted nobody because I was incapable of being the real me in public. the only time I was being the person I wanted to be was when I was on my own.

I dealt with issues from my past (perhaps bullying would be one of yours) and learned to move on from some of them (still working on others). This was only to clear my mental slate that needed new information/training.

The definition of madness is to do the same thing over and over again and expect different results. I eventually got to the stage where I was spending my whole time in my head trying to figure out why I couldn't find the answer, why I couldn't think myself better. I had to let go of this obsession. I had to accept that I no longer had the knowledge or the energy to help myself. I reached out and got external help. I had to get out of my comfort zone and trust that a professional person might be able to help guide me to a better life.

Friends and family mean well but most of them don't have the expertise or objectivity to help me. . .

Perhaps your "new start" could be that you accept you may not have the capacity to figure out how to get well and that you may need to consider reaching out for professional help. . Just a suggestion . .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I am so sorry for your loss.

Grieving is important. I remember somebody close to me died and I spent a few days in a bath crying,. . I just couldn't believe they were gone, that they had left me. I remember crying 6 weeks after they had gone. It took along time for me to get over them. .

If I was doing it again, I would try to get support. I am not great at speaking with friends/family, so I would try a grieving councellor and/or my regular therapist.

One can only imagine that the pain is particularly acute right now. I know in these times I sometimes go beyond pain and go numb to everything. This was something that happened to me when I was in a serious accident when I was younger. But for me its a dangerous place to find because its ignoring my bodies need to remind me that it is not happy.

Take care of yourself. I think its fair to say that there is a community of people here who are thinking of you . .

Im actually loosing the plot. Every nerve in my body is tense. Been using cbt skills, not making much difference.

I feel totally out of control with everything.
    Close to burnout

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

handbagmad wrote: »
    Im actually loosing the plot. Every nerve in my body is tense. Been using cbt skills, not making much difference.

Close to burnout

Try focusing on one issue that you feel is out of control, forget the others, work on resolving that. It may make you feel some small relief, a little lighter, and then you can move on to the next one.

I know it sounds oversimplified but when things pile up and start getting the better of me I find that this makes a big difference. Break it down, one thing at a time, and you feel you're making progress which gives you strength.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Close to burnout

Have you been to see a professional today? If you are plummeting then perhaps this is what you should do?
    Hang in there, good days WILL return.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Thanks everyone for your condolences and your concern. I feel
    a little bit better today. The grieving process will take time and I do have professional help in place to deal with my bereavement.

Thanks again!:)

Thanks for your replies. Turbulent period to say the least. Sitting looking out the window at the full moon.
    There must be some connection, I am always a bit more manic, I dunno maybe I have k9 traits lol.
    I know im not making sense but just want to share with ye.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Oh don't worry about the sense thing, been asked twice this week to slow down talking, as i sound like a machine gun. Wouldn't mind but i'm not saying anything of any importance..

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Well humans ARE 70% water and we know the moon creates tides so who knows... but more definitely I know booze makes me worse. It impedes decent sleep and seems to accentuate any bad feelings I'm already having. If I'm ok.. then it doesn't really have much effect but if theres anything underlying, then its not good. Poor diet, lack of exercise also play a role, I'm sure of it.

As regards diet and exercise i agree totally, yet of course depression makes it so difficult to motivate for either..

DeVore wrote: »
    Well humans ARE 70% water and we know the moon creates tides so who knows... but more definitely I know booze makes me worse. It impedes decent sleep and seems to accentuate any bad feelings I'm already having. If I'm ok.. then it doesn't really have much effect but if theres anything underlying, then its not good. Poor diet, lack of exercise also play a role, I'm sure of it.

ya very like that. If in a good head space I can enjoy 4/5 beers no hassle. Same amount feeling bad can be catastrophic.

100% agree with the exercise. I've learned though doesn't have to be rigorous. A nice walk can be just as beneficial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

There must be some connection, I am always a bit more manic, I dunno maybe I have k9 traits lol.

I spent a drunken 45 minutes once howling at the moon with a couple of good friends, felt oddly liberating (not too sure the neighbourhood dogs appreciated it too much though:o)
    100% agree with the exercise. I've learned though doesn't have to be rigorous. A nice walk can be just as beneficial

For me it's much more about headspace than cardio, I walk my dogs in a forestry not too far from me and it's wonderful just getting out, encountering very few people, just watching the dogs putter around and enjoying the views.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Arguably that's even more of a reason to go.

What's the worst that can happen? Maybe the date doesn't go well, and you feel bad about that, but probably no worse than you'll feel about cancelling it anyway.

I've no doubt we've all forced ourselves to do things when we were depressed that we really didn't feel like we could manage, but most of the time it works out being better than the alternative. Even if it turns out that you can't manage it after half an hour, you can always make your excuses and leave. :)

Well I ended up going and it went great :)
    It was great having someone to be able to relate to in person. A few friends would know about the anxiety but I don't think they can really comprehend the problems it causes me, so it's nice to have someone who understands exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Well I ended up going and it went great :)
    It was great having someone to be able to relate to in person. A few friends would know about the anxiety but I don't think they can really comprehend the problems it causes me, so it's nice to have someone who understands exactly.

F*cking delighted for you Teddy. I was considering sending you a PM the last couple of days to find out if you went, but I didn't want to harass you or make you feel bad if you hadn't.

It's sometimes the hardest thing in the world, but getting out and doing things and meeting people never makes you feel worse in the end. I'm glad it paid off, you've put me in an even better mood this Friday morning. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Finding EFT great. Downloaded an app (EFT Clinic) that teaches you how to do it on yourself and it's working for me. Also the Paul mckenna app 'I can make you confident' is great

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

lukesmom wrote: »
    Finding EFT great. Downloaded an app (EFT Clinic) that teaches you how to do it on yourself and it's working for me. Also the Paul mckenna app 'I can make you confident' is great

I'm a huge fan of EFT Lukesmom. Been using it for years with my family and kids I work with. I've mentioned it on here a few times but no one has ever picked up on it. Its so simple and effective for emotional trauma, anxiety, panic attacks, etc. Also check out Faster EFT, Robert G. Smith, he has loads of You Tube videos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,867 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

murria wrote: »
    I'm a huge fan of EFT Lukesmom. Been using it for years with my family and kids I work with. I've mentioned it on here a few times but no one has ever picked up on it. Its so simple and effective for emotional trauma, anxiety, panic attacks, etc. Also check out Faster EFT, Robert G. Smith, he has loads of You Tube videos.

Have a head like a sieve, EFT? I will google it, might try see if son will give it a try :)

Advertisement