Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

galson wrote: »
    Where's that info from? They've been trying to introduce it since 2012 for all I know.

Signed into law in March I think.

EDIT:- http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2014/en/act/pub/0003/print.html

en.act.2014.0003.0001.jpg

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Yes and NDLS have started informing drivers who are presenting for 1st full licences to have documentation in order or risk having to display 'N' plates if there are delays in issuing their licence.
    Signed into law in March I think.

EDIT:- http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2014/en/act/pub/0003/print.html

Nate

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

So what is the the time line. when do you have to have the full license got to avoid the N plates.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

Interesting according to this page (http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Driver-Training/Graduated-Driver-Licensing/GDL-rollout/), even though it is being called N Plate... it will be an R sign on the car

text from their website

"Pending legislation, novice drivers will be required to display an R (restricted) plate to support the restrictions in place during the first two years of their full driving licence."

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭galson

So, what is it in the end? R or N plates? Everywhere you go there is a contradicting information about this and it doesn't say anywhere when it's going in. Pending legislation on RSA website only tells you that it hasn't been signed into the law yet.

• Advertisement

If you haven't passed your test by the end of July 2014, then you will need to display the N plates or risk 2 penalty points and a hefty fine. The required Legislation (Section 4, Road Traffic Act 2014) is already in place and it clearly states the plates will carry an 'N' not an 'R'. Bikers are also required to display the plates under the legislation. The RSA website is woefully out of date in parts. I suspect they kept it quiet to prevent a further rush of applications to an already under resourced NDLS.
    So what is the the time line. when do you have to have the full license got to avoid the N plates.?

Well, doesn't apply really to me as I passed the test this month and applied for the license already but my wife will be sitting her test soon so I'll have to put the plates on the car anyway :/

What exactly are the restrictions for the N-plated driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

It would be worth contacting the RSA for more details on dates and deadlines, as their website is very out of date.

Signing it into law is meaningless if the RSA are taking so long to act on it (assuming they will notify candidates at some stage before implementing the change).

The main restriction is that novice drivers can only accumulate 7 penalty points (rather than the usual 12) before being disqualified from driving for 6 months. Expect a raft of announcements in the media over the next few weeks. Under the same legislation, Learner drivers who drive without an accompanied driver or who fail to display 'L' plates will get 2 penalty points. Using a mobile phone will now get you 3 points.
    Well, doesn't apply really to me as I passed the test this month and applied for the license already but my wife will be sitting her test soon so I'll have to put the plates on the car anyway :/

What exactly are the restrictions for the N-plated driver?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭SPM1959

Finally!

4th time but got there in the end. Did the reverse around the corner (always my reason for failing previously) within first five minutes of practical test. Did that OK so confidence was increased and knew it was there for the taking.

Relieved is not the word and good luck to all others doing it.

• Advertisement

SPM1959 wrote: »
    Finally!

4th time but got there in the end. Did the reverse around the corner (always my reason for failing previously) within first five minutes of practical test. Did that OK so confidence was increased and knew it was there for the taking.

Relieved is not the word and good luck to all others doing it.

Well done mate. It's a great feeling. I personally sang along with every song on the radio on the drive home I was so made up.

Get your app in right away to avoid this N plate nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭SPM1959

Well done mate. It's a great feeling. I personally sang along with every song on the radio on the drive home I was so made up.

Get your app in right away to avoid this N plate nonsense

Thanks. Plan to do that tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Passed today first person out on the road from the center and the roads were clear. I couldnt be anymore happy

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ogillman

Passed today in Wicklow. 2nd time. Couldn't be happier. Same tester as first time seemed much happier this morning and didn't mark anything I got marked for last time. Great feeling and no N plates!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 carol2000

Passed today also. Got it first time in Raheny. Over the moon to say the least. My ADI was recommendation from another poster in this thread and I can't recommend him enough, no way could I have done it without him. PM me if you're looking for an ADI around the Finglas/Raheny area, I think I'm not allowed recommend anybody directly on the thread.

Passed with 7 Grade 2's - not to happy with that because I know I'm usually better than that, but nerves played a part and a pass is a pass :)

Nate

Hi, Could you PM me the ADI? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Passed today on the 3rd attempt in Wexford town, only two Grade 2's absolutely delighted :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Passed today in Wilton at the first time of trying, so relieved now. 3 grade 2's, I was delighted with that considering I did all my lessons and test in a school car (something I would never recommend to a learner, a lot tougher to do it that way!). PHEW :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

Passed my C+E (Artic) test last Thursday in Athlone (first time). I've been wanting to do it for many years so it's great to finally have it achieved!:)

Truck I learned in/used for test -

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

Passed this morning in tallaght with two grade 2's one of which was for an oral mistake at the start

LawlessBoy wrote: »
    Passed this morning in tallaght with two grade 2's one of which was for an oral mistake at the start

Fair play man. Not easy do it in Dublin. Get the app in right away. Avoide that N plate nonsence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

LawlessBoy wrote: »

Congratulations, it's a great feeling...I passed on a Friday almost two years ago and can still remember how great it felt....enjoy your new found freedom from those L Plates!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

Babooshka wrote: »
    Congratulations, it's a great feeling...I passed on a Friday almost two years ago and can still remember how great it felt....enjoy your new found freedom from those L Plates!
    Fair play man. Not easy do it in Dublin. Get the app in right away. Avoide that N plate nonsence

Heading up to the NDLS centre in the morning, went up today they told me there was no chance id be seen today and that my best bet was to be here before they opened in the morning so its all good!:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

Passed this morning in Dundalk first time. 7 grade 2s. 3 for positioning on the straight (driving too left). The driving test equivalent of an o.g. off someone's arse in injury time but I'll take it!

How does it work now with the N plates, say hipotetically I've a full license, but my wife has passed the test after Aug 1st, and we have a son who's a learner driver (a situation not that uncommon). Say we all use the same car. Do we display both L and N plates on the car? That's just ridiculous.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

How does it work now with the N plates, say hipotetically I've a full license, but my wife has passed the test after Aug 1st, and we have a son who's a learner driver (a situation not that uncommon). Say we all use the same car. Do we display both L and N plates on the car? That's just ridiculous.

In theory plates of any type should only be displayed when the driver is (was) a learner.

They should really be taken down when the person who requires them isn't actually driving. Pain in the ass but problem solved.

Not a good solution at all, both me and my wife use the car on daily basis, I work nights, she works days, we use it in the evening too depending on the day. I'm not going to peel off the plates and put them back on every few hours.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

Not a good solution at all, both me and my wife use the car on daily basis, I work nights, she works days, we use it in the evening too depending on the day. I'm not going to peel off the plates and put them back on every few hours.

You peel them off, she puts them on.
    Buy magnetic plates
    Buy her a car

There are options albeit the last one is extreme lol. You gave a very valid example and asked a question. The answer I gave is equally as valid. A fully licensed driver shouldn't be driving around with their sons L plates on or his wife's N plates. The son shouldn't be driving around with his mum's N plates on.

I know lots of people do, doesn't make it right though.

You peel them off, she puts them on.
    Buy magnetic plates
    Buy her a car

There are options albeit the last one is extreme lol. You gave a very valid example and asked a question. The answer I gave is equally as valid. A fully licensed driver shouldn't be driving around with their sons L plates on or his wife's N plates. The son shouldn't be driving around with his mum's N plates on.

I know lots of people do, doesn't make it right though.

I'm not shunning your answer at all, however as you might know a human being is a lazy creature by nature and I doubt anybody would do that a couple of times a day. Buying her a car would certainly be a solution, unfortunately we cannot afford two cars at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dmd95

Passed at 3 o'clock in tallaght!!. I thought knowing all of the questions and signs really well before the the practical part set a good impression and gave the tester no reason to be looking to fail me In the practical. Too bad I'm stuck with the damn N plates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

I passed recently in Rathgar. 8 Grade 2 s!!! I'm not delighted though I just feel like I got away easy - I hate that feeling! I messed up the reverse corner but he didn't Grade 3 me because he said my observation was great.

Advertisement