Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭JimmyAlfonso

Turn up in Omni at 10 to nine, you should get a slot for later in the day.

Nate

I chanced heading to Leopardstown after work this afternoon. Arrived there at 4:45 and they took me immediately and I was back out the door less than 10 minutes later.:D They reckon between 2-3 weeks to process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

I chanced heading to Leopardstown after work this afternoon. Arrived there at 4:45 and they took me immediately and I was back out the door less than 10 minutes later.:D They reckon between 2-3 weeks to process.

Mine took 10 working days on the button! If you exclude their rather pathetic appointments system they're actually very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

How long does it take to get the actual full license after visiting the NDLS? My cousin just passed and is ecstatic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

To give you an idea of the time it takes, I passed on the 29th May, applied on the 30th in NDLS, and found a shiny new licence waiting for me when I got home from work today.

:)

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ConorKelleher

I was a lot less fortunate. I applied for mine on the 16th of April (I was told it would be delivered in 2-3 weeks) and now, eight weeks later, it still hasn't arrived. I've found a load of people in these forums saying it took them around 6 weeks and yet I envy them -.-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Vologda69

I was a lot less fortunate. I applied for mine on the 16th of April (I was told it would be delivered in 2-3 weeks) and now, eight weeks later, it still hasn't arrived. I've found a load of people in these forums saying it took them around 6 weeks and yet I envy them -.-

The licence backlog is now cleared and present waiting time is 8-9 days. If a licence is now taking more than two weeks there is a usually a problem with the paperwork or the processing section has lost something. Try emailing them quoting your driver number and date of birth: info@ndls.ie as the helpline isn't particularly useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Passed today in Tallaght. :)

Do I still need to make a face-to-face appointment if I got my learner permit at an NDLS centre this year? The form says that you can apply "by phone/post" from "early 2014", but that seems a little too vague, and last time I was at the NDLS they weren't very organised yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Don't think they have the postal applications in place yet.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

Is anyone sure that walk ins are accepted? I had a friend who walked into a centre in Louth and was refused and was told to make an appointment because they didn't do walk ins? Is this allowed?

Walk-ins also get an appointment slot. But these are usually filled by 12pm. So if you want to be seen same day, you would need to be there early. Otherwise you are hoping for a no show or the good will of staff.
    Is anyone sure that walk ins are accepted? I had a friend who walked into a centre in Louth and was refused and was told to make an appointment because they didn't do walk ins? Is this allowed?

• Advertisement

The Postal system will not be introduced until later this year. So customers still need to represent at an NDLS centre even if they have already visited one previously. The logistics of one office sorting all postal applications will be huge.
    Passed today in Tallaght. :)

Do I still need to make a face-to-face appointment if I got my learner permit at an NDLS centre this year? The form says that you can apply "by phone/post" from "early 2014", but that seems a little too vague, and last time I was at the NDLS they weren't very organised yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 xXbusybeeXx

After 5 years of driving and one previous failed attempt at the test 5 years ago I finally passed in Rathgar on Friday 13th June. The test went extremely well with only 2 Grade 2 faults given. The tester commented that it was the best test he has seen in a very long time. Went straight to leopardstown NDLS in the hope of getting a walk in appointment and was seen straight away. I had a fantastic instructor that prepped me for the test in the week leading up to the test. It was a great way to start my weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭JimmyAlfonso

Licence arrived through the door today. Went to NDLS centre in Leopardstown the previous Tuesday evening so pretty quick turnaround at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Passed at the 3rd attempt in Navan. Absolutely delighted :D

3 Grade 2's, two for positioning on the straight and in traffic lanes. It was a two lane system and I stayed in the right lane instead of moving into the left one for going straight ahead. Another one for reaction to hazards when I was switching lane. Looked over my shoulder and hesitated when there was a car letting me through.

Not so bad overall. Such a relief to get it done after the hardship of the last two tests.

Edit: Just went on the NDLS centre to book an appointment. Nothing available until Thursday the 3rd of July. F*ck that. Is there any point of even booking? I think I might just call in early on Monday. What do yous think.

Anyone in the Navan/Meath area in need of a great driving instructor just PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I called in on a Friday evening to the one in Trim and there was 2 queues, one for people with appointments and one for walk-ins. I'd say if you try it at off-peak hours you'll be alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭galson

Delighted to have passed the test today with 4 grade 2s. I had 2 grade 1s too for the hand signals, no idea why as I showed all of them correctly. Meh, glad to have this off my chest now.

Applying for the license is a different matter though, there's nothing available in Cork for the next two weeks if I try to book it online. I may just try my luck and go there early Monday morning. They should have more centres if they can't cope with the number of people, seriously.

I assume you can book the appointment in another city and there will be no problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

For the NDLS centres, go as soon as they open and you'll probably be given an appointment. When I went to book mine there were no dates either, so I went into the centre at 9am and was given an appointment for 11:15. :) Pretty much everyone that was seen that morning was a walk-in.

New Mallow office opening in a few weeks. Half of all appointments are kept each day for walkins. Once your're there at 8.45 you should have an appointment within the hour. whole thing takes about 10minutes.
    galson wrote: »
    Delighted to have passed the test today with 4 grade 2s. I had 2 grade 1s too for the hand signals, no idea why as I showed all of them correctly. Meh, glad to have this off my chest now.

Applying for the license is a different matter though, there's nothing available in Cork for the next two weeks if I try to book it online. I may just try my luck and go there early Monday morning. They should have more centres if they can't cope with the number of people, seriously.

I assume you can book the appointment in another city and there will be no problems?

I called in on a Friday evening to the one in Trim and there was 2 queues, one for people with appointments and one for walk-ins. I'd say if you try it at off-peak hours you'll be alright.
    Would heading in as early as possible be advisable?

Vologda69 wrote: »
    New Mallow office opening in a few weeks. Half of all appointments are kept each day for walkins. Once your're there at 8.45 you should have an appointment within the hour. whole thing takes about 10minutes.

Yeah, that's what I intend to do on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

I passed mine a good few ago years now. I got it the 2nd time which actually helped my driving. I actually learned from my mistakes and I'm a better drive for it today than if I had just got it 1st time. For anyone doing it now I would recommend going outside Dublin. Book it down the country, Offaly or Roscommon are the best for pass rates

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Would heading in as early as possible be advisable?

Well I would presume that is the case. I don't know if you actually went into the test centre but they had the walk-ins go to one side so worst case scenario you're queuing for a while. I'd be very surprised if they told you to leave, just don't forget your documents + the money (card will do as well) and it should be alright. Took two weeks for the license to arrive for what it's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭nathan99

I passed 2nd time in naas with 8 grade 2's.
    It was very close to failing but me passing in naas proves that anyone can pass!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭AH92

Passed my 2nd time in Tallaght with 1 error for progress turning right.. There was 3 filters and only the left filter was green so decided to wait, My tester was sooo nice said he rarely only gives peope 1 mark for the whole test! DELIGHTED :D SO for the NDLS can we just walk in for an appointment in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭BeanbagBallbag

Passed this morning first time in Raheny! I only started driving in January.

4 grade 2 faults. 2 for reaction to hazards (I approached the ramps in Harmonstown a bit too fast), 1 for position on bends (I was a bit too wide on those bends in Harmonstown) and 1 for observation on the turnabout. Delighted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Bobby42

AH92 wrote: »
    Passed my 2nd time in Tallaght with 1 error for progress turning right.. There was 3 filters and only the left filter was green so decided to wait, My tester was sooo nice said he rarely only gives peope 1 mark for the whole test! DELIGHTED :D SO for the NDLS can we just walk in for an appointment in the morning?

Congrats!

Try and book an appointment if you can. I walked into a centre at ten one morning and was told to come back at ten to five. The alternative was to book the next available appointment which was two weeks away.

Well I would presume that is the case. I don't know if you actually went into the test centre but they had the walk-ins go to one side so worst case scenario you're queuing for a while. I'd be very surprised if they told you to leave, just don't forget your documents + the money (card will do as well) and it should be alright. Took two weeks for the license to arrive for what it's worth.
    Went in Monday morning, served straight away. No queue. Happy days.

Anyone going for the test should be aware that those who don't apply for their full licence by 1st August this year will have to display the new 'N' (Novice) Plates for 2 full years after passing the test. Those issued with a licence prior to this date will not have to display these plates.

Where's that info from? They've been trying to introduce it since 2012 for all I know.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Haven't heard of the N plate Business. I'll be honest and say that I never put L plates up for as long as I was driving on the permit. Was never pulled up on it either

Advertisement