Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Critérium du Dauphiné 2014 **use spoiler tags til midnight**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Paddigol

He's an odd lookin falla alright, but I don't think it has much to do with his weight. To me he looks as though he has strangely proportioned limbs/ arms. As in, they're too freakin long for his body!

Somebody else on here recently described him as all elbows. It was the first time I really noticed it, but so true!

Tintin with elbows!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

he looks so pale in the face on the climbs

almost like a ghoul

it's really freaky and unnatural to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i think he is gorgeous :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,049 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

He's still fatter than Madonna.

article-1267538-05DD8A8C000005DC-271_233x330.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

photo finish between Boeckmans and Arndt, but Arndt won it by a hair!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Lumen wrote: »
    He's still fatter than Madonna.

article-1267538-05DD8A8C000005DC-271_233x330.jpg

Is that real?

godtabh wrote: »
    Is that real?
    I'm not sure, since my Heat magazine subscription ran out I'm not up to date on current affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

godtabh wrote: »
    Is that real?

Photoshopped to include Iggy Pop's arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Photoshopped to include Iggy Pop's arms.

...and chest :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Whatever about anything else, the starkest thing for me in yesterday's ding-dong was the difference in cycling aesthetics. Everything about the preying mantis - sat in the saddle, head down, elbows out, craned neck, wide-eyed, crazy rpm over-spinning stick-legs - is ugly. Contador by comparison is so classy looking on the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Kelly works for British Eurosport. If he worked for Setanta I'm sure his commentary would be more partial.

I'd say Kelly wouldn't be bringing out the chummy 'Rocheys', etc whatever Eurosport he'd be working for, and the same point stands that it's crap whether it's Tony Ward doing rugby or Brian Smith doing cycling.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

fat bloke wrote: »
    Whatever about anything else, the starkest thing for me in yesterday's ding-dong was the difference in cycling aesthetics. Everything about the preying mantis - sat in the saddle, head down, elbows out, craned neck, wide-eyed, crazy rpm over-spinning stick-legs - is ugly. Contador by comparison is so classy looking on the bike.

Contador was rocking the open jersey and gold chain look yesterday. A timeless look of pure class.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Brian? wrote: »
    Contador was rocking the open jersey and gold chain look yesterday. A timeless look of pure class.

Agreed. Not sure that Stephen "Rochey" Roche would share those sentiments though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

fat bloke wrote: »

The praying mantis is faster.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Descending finish tomorrow, down Col du Manse. Good day for Nibali to get back some time? He's surely the best descender of the lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Descending finish tomorrow, down Col du Manse. Good day for Nibali to get back some time? He's surely the best descender of the lot.

Maybe ..Contador is a very good descender and may try something .....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Contador isn't far off Nibali. He's borderline reckless if he thinks he needs to make time. Remember his fall that took Froome with him in last years tour?The man can be a lunatic. Froome will need team mates on the descent.

Should be fun.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

MPFG wrote: »
    Maybe ..Contador is a very good descender and may try something .....

Was it into Gap last year when Contador put The Froome Dog :b under pressure on a descent and caused him to crash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

drogdub wrote: »
    Was it into Gap last year when Contador put The Grooms Dog :b under pressure and caused him to crash?

Yes it was ...Froome wasn't happy and complained on TV about reckless riding

• Registered Users Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭buffalo

Was it into Gap last year when Contador put The Froome Dog :b under pressure on a descent and caused him to crash?

Same finish, different descent apparently:
    Today’s descent is not the same as last summer but it’s still a tricky road that’s narrow and winding with uneven gravelly tarmac.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Carlton was calling Voigt "Jensy" yesterday. This biased commentary is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Today's stage : (Andy Schleck FTW :pac:)

PROFIL.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Yes and no. Yes it was into Gap last year but he didn't cause Froome to crash by putting him under pressure. He put himself under pressure went off and took Froome with him. He then got pretty annoyed at the front bunch who if memory serves right was Quintana for not stopping the racing knowing they were down.

I find it equally irritating

Why do you find it so irritating?

yer man is a pain in the ho1e on commentary

he's like terry wogan on eurovision night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

I know he's not exactly flavour of the month around here but is there a more annoying cyclist to watch on a bike than Chris Froome? Looking at the stage yesterday he was like a nodding dog constantly looking at his power meter ever second. That the elbows and one of the most trivial things that for some reason really annoys me about him. Why is his head always cocked to the right!

I know he's not exactly flavour of the month around here but is there a more annoying cyclist to watch on a bike than Chris Froome? Looking at the stage yesterday he was like a nodding dog constantly looking at his power meter ever second. That the elbows and one of the most trivial things that for some reason really annoys me about him. Why is his head always cocked to the right!

the power on climbs and TT ability

he appears to be superhuman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I enjoy watching him. He's aggressive and extremely capable. Covering all the attacks two days ago and then holding Contador off for the win was marvelous cycling.

I don't give a flying f*ck what he physically looks like while cycling and find it bizarre that so many people seem to!

pelevin wrote: »
    Why do you find it so irritating?
    Because I find explicit and overwrought manifestations of British national pride embarrassing. The appropriate response to a British win is a quiet but earnest 'jolly good show/nice one mate', a fresh cup of tea and a look forward to future inevitable defeats.

• Advertisement

quozl wrote: »
    I enjoy watching him. He's aggressive and extremely capable. Covering all the attacks two days ago and then holding Contador off for the win was marvelous cycling.

I don't give a flying f*ck what he physically looks like while cycling and find it bizarre that so many people seem to!

Froomey, as I like to call him, is certainly not elegant but I suppose that doesn't really bother me that much, though I certainly prefer aesthetically comeone who does look a natural athlete. I suppose if for instance the best golfer in the world had a crap looking swing, it would be contrary to all expectations. And for the best stage rider in cycling to look so awful & unnatural on a bike isn't what people might expect or like to look at.

Advertisement