Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best SIM Only deals [Updated regularly][Work in progess]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

fionny wrote: »
    Quick few questions... I think that 48 network is superb value:

1. Do you have to lie about your date of birth to sign up (im over 23... by a few years :P but don't see why I shouldnt get a good deal).

2. I assume you can port your number in and out if needed, this is law right?

3. Is the network solid/good etc...?

4. They dont have asia listed for Roaming... am I scuppered if I go there on hols?

Thanks,

1. Yeah, just put your DOB as one that will make you 18.

2. Yeah, you can port. You so it through the web site after you get your sim.

3. They use the o2 network so as long as you get good o2 coverage you'll be fine.

4. No idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Sound out.

FYI ya Asia is not covered... so have to wait until that holiday is over before switching...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

If I read the tesco mobile website correctly, I think the spreadsheet is incorrect about their €15 top-up offer.

Here is what they say: "UNLIMITED Calls to All Mobiles & Landlines
    FREE Tesco Mobile to Tesco Mobile calls & texts, 250 Free webtexts"

The spreadsheets says you get unlimited texts to all mobiles, but my understanding is that unlimited texts are only to other Tesco Mobile numbers (while call are actually unlimited to everyone). I find their wording overly complicated and pretty misleading though.

(Adding unlimited texts is a 10 euros add-on, otherwise it is 13c per text - which can add-up pretty quickly)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Great spreadsheet very useful!

What would be nice is if you indicated which cell tower operator each provider was using.

Specifically I want to know if anyone uses the Vodafone network (apart from Vodafone) as they have data coverage where my mobile home is, but their pay as you go data rates seem a bit silly.

Good work...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Update: 19/04/2014

Recently updated:

Following a suggestion from schmoo2k, the network infrastructure operators (for MVNOs) has been reinstated.

• Advertisement

I'm taking the plunge and moving to Three again, I dislike Three but their 20.33 sim only deal is too good to ignore. Shame meteor isn't pricing competitively on their 4G and instead trying to trick people into a 12 month sim only deal... chancers.

emobiles would be good if you didnt have to be an eircom customer.

Update: 02/05/2014

Recently Updated:

Update to Vodafone-
    Changed details about the 12 Month ""RED"" Sim Only
    Included the free 100 International SMS and Texts on the above plan.

Update to Meteor-
    Updated the 12 Month Mega SIM Only package.

Added information:
    Included upcoming roaming changes under EU Regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭elvis23

I'm taking the plunge and moving to Three again, I dislike Three but their 20.33 sim only deal is too good to ignore. Shame meteor isn't pricing competitively on their 4G and instead trying to trick people into a 12 month sim only deal... chancers.

emobiles would be good if you didnt have to be an eircom customer.

Is this €20.33 only for the first 30 days however? And then €30.50 per month after that?
    Anyone able confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

elvis23 wrote: »
    Is this €20.33 only for the first 30 days however? And then €30.50 per month after that?
    Anyone able confirm?

There's a discount on the rate of some sort but I was on it most of the last twelve months and the monthly charge was 20.33

• Registered Users Posts: 6,270 ✭✭✭Damien360

Anyone able confirm?

My wife has that deal. €20.33 per month plus voicemail calls plus MMS messages. Only now starting to email them instead. Heavy texter but very little calls and all data. A good deal but 3 reception is iffy in a lot of places. Average bill of €24 per month mainly due to mms usage.

• Advertisement

Some interesting statistics about my deals spreadsheet.

- Desktop is the most popular device used to view the thread, followed by Android devices (55%).

- Windows Phone is the least popular device- only 9 users have visited on one)

- 25% of users view on an iPad, and 15% of them use an iPhone

- Hong Kong users make up of 3% of viewers: the most popular country after Ireland, the US, and Great Britain. 你好 Hong Kong!

- The spreadsheet is visited most frequently at the end of each month.

- 30th of March was the busiest day, and April 15th didn't get a single click.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

I'm not sure if it's a mistake or if I'm missing something but with the Meteor Mega Sim Only plan you have it down as 30 Euro, seems to be 35 Euro though: https://store.meteor.ie/sim-only-plans/?linkid=plans

Thinking of moving to it, that's why I noticed it.

Thanks

Anyone able confirm?

I was told by 3 the discount was for the foreseeable future anyway.

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's a mistake or if I'm missing something but with the Meteor Mega Sim Only plan [...]

It appears to have been a weekend only offer, which is since no longer available. I will update this as soon as I can.
    I was told by 3 the discount was for the foreseeable future anyway.

Happy days, even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

I presume the On Net calls and texts with 3 are by using the likes of viber and cabbage?

I deleted my previous posts to clean up the thread btw.

waveform wrote: »
    I presume the On Net calls and texts with 3 are by using the likes of viber and cabbage?

I deleted my previous posts to clean up the thread btw.

See PM. :-)

And no, you've got normal calls via the telephone, and not using third party products. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

See PM. :-)

And no, you've got normal calls via the telephone, and not using third party products. :)

This was my first time coming across the term "on net" calls and text and i thought it meant online.
    Just did a google search now and I see that it means same network calls and texts.

It might be a good idea to include a note explaining it,
    if it isnt there already and I'm blind! :P

This unlimited data deal for €20 is appealing to me because I would like to use Spotify for listening to and discovering music.

It would save me bringing around my bulky mp3 player, and my Moto G only has about 12GBs of useable space with no microSD slot.

I have heard that the 3 data network can be very poor though, i find the 48 / o2 network very reliable in Cork and doesn't buffer during audio playback.

Do you get to use the full €20 top up for calls and texts to other networks?

Thanks!

Update: 9th May 2014

- Clarification of "On Net" calls and texts.
    - Updated pricing error for Meteor Mega Sim (12 Months)

The Three network varies from place to place, but I have noticed it improving over the past while. I also believe that the services shall improve when the O2 takeover continues. This will bring some new masts and technology to the table.

Try the coverage map. It's not perfect, but it will give you an indication of how things are. The best thing to do is to buy a SIM card, top it up with twenty, and give it a go.

And, yes. You keep all your credit.

http://www.three.ie/explore/coverage-checker/

also believe that the services shall improve when the O2 takeover continues. This will bring some new masts and technology to the table.

I think Three will have to be carefull in the way they manage this though.

On average an O2 customer currently pays more money than a Three customer for a similar package (most likely becaue they consider O2 a more "premium" brand which delivers better quality of service than Three).

If after the takeover they were to immediately put everyone on the same network, quality of service should get better for Theee customers but decrease for O2 ones. They will want to make sure they are not loosing these ex O2 users which will actually have became their largest customer base.

I know deploying 4G on O2's network will help with performance, but still I think they will have some technical and marketing challenges before an ex Three and an ex O2 customer are handled in the same way.

• Advertisement

I don't agree with everything you're saying there. Three in the UK are highly professional, and are strong in terms of customer numbers and service, as are other networks. I believe that the quality of service will ramp up when the merger goes through. For example, there'll be less strain on the network as they'll be booting off a number of MVNO providers. The influx of O2 customers will not be as hard as they'll have access to a greater number of masts and cells.

I don't believe that the quality for O2 customers will decrease whatsoever. Firstly, there will be better pricing for the customers as they get access to better plans. Also, they will have more data limits and speeds, access to the 4G network, and other bits and pieces.

I do think that marketing will be required, but they're improving with that. I also believe (and I am nearly certain) that the customer care will be handled in Ireland rather than outsourced abroad. This will surely be part of the overall deal and remit laid down by the EU Commission.

I guess we are both making assumptions here and is difficult to know which ones are correct :)

However when you are saying "there will be better pricing for the customers as they get access to better plans" I personaly wouldn't be so sure. If Three was to immediately move O2 customers to Three pricing, they would effectively be slashing their profit for these customers (and at least in the short term they will still have to support the cost of running O2 network and pay their employees).

Just my view, but I think it is not realistic to think that after the merger people will all get the prices of the cheapest network and the quality of service of the most expensive one.

I'm changing back to meteor... Three's signal where I work is driving me crazy... its so weak it keeps changing to the roaming profile leaving me with no data.

Id go with 48months only for needing to roam in Asia later in the year..

That's mental. I only thought that their signal got better. I'm miles from the nearest mast, not in line of sight, and I just noticed that I'm getting consistently 7-8Mbps speeds. This was never the case.

Lucky for you... I work in a massive multinational on the edge of Ballincollig in Cork and the signal is desperate... if the phone is in my pocket it goes to vodafone's roaming. It would probably be fine elsewhere but as I spend alot of my week at my desk I need the data signal!

Did you ever hit up Three: Reps about it? They're fairly helpful.

Did you ever hit up Three: Reps about it? They're fairly helpful.

I said it to them on their twitter page, they said they'd note it... aka nothing they can do.

I understand that, but the Reps on Boards have more clout and accountability. I still think that you should give them a shout.
    What is there to lose?

The fact that you are in an area with potentially lots of customers will make the alarm go off a bit more for them.

I understand that, but the Reps on Boards have more clout and accountability. I still think that you should give them a shout.
    What is there to lose?

The fact that you are in an area with potentially lots of customers will make the alarm go off a bit more for them.

Done, still be moving back to meteor as they wont be makeing changes fast enough for me either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 BooShank

Hi Mr Noise, :-)

Can you confirm that the EUR 32, 30day sim only, 15GB, non-eircom customer contract with eMobile includes 4G ?

The following thread seems to disagree but I would be delighted if you had different info.

Can't post a url but it is the
    "Welcome to the eMobile thread, on Boards to answer your queries" Sticky thread on the eircom forum.
    Page 127
    Post #1905

Best Regards
    Mr Shank

Advertisement