Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone heading off on holidays this year?

Options
  • 27-04-2014 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭

It's that time again, planning on jetting off for a holiday with the family.

Using trivago, and Skyscanner, I reckon I can get the 4 of us of to a fairly decent resort in Portugal for ten days for a reasonable fee. I have a figure in my head that travel agents will have to compete with to offer me an all in package (flight's, accommodation and transfer)

First two weeks in July. I'm thinking Algarve.....

Anyone in AH any advice /heads up for best destination (we've an infant, so thinking 3hr flight max)

Any other recommendations?

Go!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

The Travel forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

Yep heading to Lanzarote first 2 weeks of July.

Can't wait. :)

I've stayed in the Algarve plenty of times and absolutely loved it btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Travel forum

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

The Travel forum.

No no, he meant in real life. Outside the internet like.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Kichote

Maybe i'll go to cape clear some weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Only back from Gran Canaria. Off to Barcelona next week :D I'm quite the jetsetter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 jbt90

Using trivago, and Skyscanner, I reckon I can get the 4 of us of to a fairly decent resort in Portugal for ten days for a reasonable fee. I have a figure in my head that travel agents will have to compete with to offer me an all in package (flight's, accommodation and transfer)

Anyone in AH any advice /heads up for best destination (we've an infant, so thinking 3hr flight max)

Go!

I wouldn't really call going to the Algarve or anywhere in Portugal a holiday

A holiday is something is usually a good trip to the states/oz/dubai or multiple trips in europe at once ie amsterdam,berlin,ibiza,paris etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Sauve wrote: »

Don't be silly, I'll just sit here and see the world from google maps street view...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Mini interrailing, hitting Brussels, Munich, Vienna and Prague.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

jbt90 wrote: »

A holiday is something is usually a good trip to the states/oz/dubai or multiple trips in europe at once ie amsterdam,berlin,ibiza,paris etc

Ye wha?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

You desperately need to keep up with the Jones, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

Go!
    feck me, fools seldom differ. Herself has booked the same deal, except a bit earlier in the year. Got all-inclusive for 5 in a very nice hotel for around 2k, not cheap, not dear. Being dull, we usually also go to the Canaries in Nov/Dec but I like it there and it's like a second home. Good for swimming etc - and familiar. I like all-inclusive, cuts out the ar5ing round looking for food and I've done my exciting travel locations already. Throw in a couple of long weekends in London or Paris, and we're sorted.

Even outside of Cork or that other big town?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I hate holiday snobs.

One persons' paradise is another persons' hell.
    I'm off to Spain in August and it's a package holiday and there'll be karaoke and drinks and loudness and I don't care if it's not a white beach in Barbados with nobody around and nothing to do at night...THAT'S my idea of hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

If I'm not working, phone on divert, and not worrying about work for a week or two it's a holiday.

I've been to all of the above you've mentioned btw, bar Dubai. I've also been to the Algarve a good few times.

With its proximity to Ireland, flight wise, it is satisfactory to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Sure my life is a holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

feck me, fools seldom differ. Herself has booked the same deal, except a bit earlier in the year. Got all-inclusive for 5 in a very nice hotel for around 2k, not cheap, not dear. Being dull, we usually also go to the Canaries in Nov/Dec but I like it there and it's like a second home. Good for swimming etc - and familiar. I like all-inclusive, cuts out the ar5ing round looking for food and I've done my exciting travel locations already. Throw in a couple of long weekends in London or Paris, and we're sorted.

You sir, just may have got yourself a wing man. ;)

Even outside of Cork or that other big town?

Ah now don't be losing the run of yourself. Sure why would you want to be leaving the county like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

Sure my life is a holiday.

That's only because you go around in hawaii shorts and sun-glasses all year round. And if there was work in the bed you'd sleep on the floor. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

What would you call it then? A break? A trip? Penance?
    I've had holiday snobs tell me they weren't on holiday, they were 'travelling' (to one destination... for 3 weeks) but I've never heard someone take issue with calling a holiday a holiday because it doesn't involve long-haul and/or multiple flights?!
    To answer the original question, was in the US for a holiday earlier this year and might manage a week in Spain or the Canaries in winter. Something cheap and hopefully cheerful.

• Advertisement

I'm off to Greece next weekend and cannot wait! Going all inclusive as the hotel is on the beach.

Don't care if it rains everyday. Once the mobiles are off and there's nobody disturbing us, that's all I need to class my week away as a holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Myself and my girlfriend are off to Canada and the US in September and NYC in December. We were in Amsterdam last month as well. We both turned 30 this year so we decided to go a bit mad while we still can :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

go to longford and throw wellies at those bogmen

Ah now don't be losing the run of yourself. Sure why would you want to be leaving the county like.

I have irreconcilable thoughts on living there.

fussyonion wrote: »
    I hate holiday snobs.

One persons' paradise is another persons' hell.
    I'm off to Spain in August and it's a package holiday and there'll be karaoke and drinks and loudness and I don't care if it's not a white beach in Barbados with nobody around and nothing to do at night...THAT'S my idea of hell.

Spain is a kip. Yeah. The whole country. Kip.

State of it. Full of drunk holidaymakers shouting and pissing everywhere :rolleyes:

The Algarve in the weeks you are going op will be as busy as the local dump of the night club on st.stephens night, wrong to be considering spain a kip, quiet a beautiful country.

The Algarve in the weeks you are going op will be as busy as the local dump of the night club on st.stephens night, wrong to be considering spain a kip, quiet a beautiful country.

I think it's a dive.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Off to France for two weeks in July and then a week in Kerry and Clare on way back.

Was in Wexford last weekend, off to Donegal in June and Sligo for a week in August.

We scrimp and save, never go out and don't smoke. But we like to get away a bit over the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

:confused: What's your point?

Advertisement