Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Email was sent to the players at 10.40pm apparently, with the county chairman told at 10pm via voicemail. How come the Irish Examiner had the story on their facebook page 20 minutes after the email, with the front page of their sports section already and the article written and ready to go? How many of those players would be reading an email at 10.40 at night?

Nice of O Grady to give them a little scoop, I wonder is he looking for another position? ;)

Chuckle chuckle

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

"Hurling coach to be appointed as a priority" - be interesting to see who gets the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

"Hurling coach to be appointed as a priority" - be interesting to see who gets the job.

Who wants it more like??

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

Who could possibly fill in as a coach at this late hour? I think it will have to come from the remaining set ups either minor or intermediate. 1) Donach O'Donnell - well respected by the players and knows them for being working with them for the last two years. 2) Eamonn Cregan - Will be available now the minors are on a break for the next while.
    Who coached the U21s last year, I presume it was TJ and he persisted with a short game during that as well. He may want a coach who will go for that.

A return to the Richie/Gary Kirby tandem act may be best, with TJ acting as cheerleader and the coach like Kirby being the brains behind the operation.

All in all, terribly disappointing that we can't give players & supporters the environment to put two successful seasons back to back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tssk

That statement from the Limerick County Board is a heap of nonsense.. Shows a lot when a county board and a manager's relationship needs a third party intermediary over the wording of a statement. Hopefully ye can recover the season from this mess. Between this and Waterford it looks like the Munster Championship won't be as strong as it should be this year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

thinkstoomuch, you say that o grady asked one senior player to buck up, its not so long ago that tj had maheadys heart broke, had him doing extra circuts at ul, giving him notes of fitness work to be done between training sessions, the game is now gone too proffesional in the fitness end to have aany one player not up to standard, what i said about frank murphy was jokenly said, frank coming up to limerick for advice in being devious.

Sam Jam wrote: »
    Obviously flutey I was joking.

Internet forum communication is fickle in my opinion. People you think you get on with online maybe the greatest as sholes in the world in real life and of course the reverse is true. I've also been banned probably a dozen times at this stage from Boards so you're not alone there.

You've almost 3 and a half K posts so I congratulate you heartily on keeping your powder dry since 2010. .
    i have had my share of run ins ok, i also have another acc.

francozola wrote: »
    Who could possibly fill in as a coach at this late hour? I think it will have to come from the remaining set ups either minor or intermediate. 1) Donach O'Donnell - well respected by the players and knows them for being working with them for the last two years. 2) Eamonn Cregan - Will be available now the minors are on a break for the next while.
    Who coached the U21s last year, I presume it was TJ and he persisted with a short game during that as well. He may want a coach who will go for that.

A return to the Richie/Gary Kirby tandem act may be best, with TJ acting as cheerleader and the coach like Kirby being the brains behind the operation.

All in all, terribly disappointing that we can't give players & supporters the environment to put two successful seasons back to back.
    the richie bennis taandem act, was it not the guy from the training collage in templemore who was the brains behind that, he never got a 2nd year either, one of my abiding memorys of the final game against kilkenny was ritchie trying to muster the crowd to try and get the players going, a coach with is back to the field of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

flutered wrote: »
    thinkstoomuch, you say that o grady asked one senior player to buck up, its not so long ago that tj had maheadys heart broke, had him doing extra circuts at ul, giving him notes of fitness work to be done between training sessions, the game is now gone too proffesional in the fitness end to have aany one player not up to standard, what i said about frank murphy was jokenly said, frank coming up to limerick for advice in being devious.

Totally agree you

I was saying o grady was correct

O gradys job to do that
    He told cocorcan to hold hurley right and rock get fitter they took it on the chin and won all irelands

• Advertisement

a team to me sucessful needs a few tings, a coach with tactial nous, a strong man manager, a strong captain to rule the dressing room, then finally a board of management who backs the manager and keep their nose out of the day to day running of the team, there is a few more but to me the above are the most important.

Flutered your of the same breed as me

I have the same beliefs.you have a deep sense and apprfciation real hurling values

Your comment re tj ryan and mahedy is correct and rhows me you know a lot about limerick

Tj no comment ,and statement board clear as day backing tj ,shows birds of a feather flock together

Tj is unreal ,no loyalty or princple to o grady,a yes man

Not much good to limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

My thoughts on the latest developments:

Firstly, one thing, the players. Someone said the Limerick players want "fun training" and weren't able for O'Grady's regime. That is just nonsense tbh, some of these players have played under Davy Fitz, Ger Cunningham, O'Grady in the past, etc. none of them are in this for a laugh, I know a few of them, not to mention relatives and close friends and they put a huge amount of effort and dedication into playing for their county and club. They want Limerick to succeed as much as we do, there is no doubt about that. So while players can be criticised for their performances, they cannot be criticised for a lack of effort. If there are grievances over some of the training methods, they should be allowed to be aired, discussed and the issue resolved.

The County Board statement. Load of shít aswell. The trio should be ashamed of themselves. If they hadn't published something that wasn't true, and just withdrawn it immediately, we wouldn't be in this farcical situation. Hanalei talked a lot of sense, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the County Board are happy with how things have turned out. But to wait around for so long to try and agree on a new statement, what kind of excuse is that? I'm not saying that O'Grady doesn't have his own arrogance too, but it's very unprofessional from the County Board. No surprises there. Not to mention the spelling mistakes and grammatical errors, it doesn't make them look like the most organised bunch in the world...... interestingly though, TJ's reign only extends to the end of this year, whereas it was a 2-year term originally? Almost looks as if they're resigned to writing this year off.

Then TJ himself. I don't really see how he can put his name to that statement and then stay on, without some sort of apology from the County Board. It undermines his authority. I've no doubt that he gets on well with most of the players, he is a likeable guy, and he does have his connections though. But is he up to the job? Last year's U-21 performance wouldn't suggest so... a talented team which got nowhere near Tipperary. Maybe harsh to judge him on one game, but he's not done much elsewhere. Does he have the tactical or motivational skills? It's a baptism of fire now, he's on his own.

The hurling coach... who is available at this time? And who would want to come in? I don't really have any suggestions, not many willing to deal with the County Board at this stage. Might be up to TJ himself to try and bring someone in.

And no, I'm not convinced that O'Grady had an All-Ireland winning gameplan. His stubborness and refusal to test players in key positions at centre-back and centre-forward, as well as a lack of activity on the bench might have cost us. Wayne Mac is not a centre-back in a team who wants to play a short passing game. By the end of the league, it looked like TJ was calling the shots on the sideline, but was hesitant to make decisions on his own, and most things they did were too slow. Is he going to be better on his own? We have no idea how they'll try and play... the challenge match against Cork will be interesting, I suppose.

I don't think the players have been treated well at all.

Hanalei wrote: »
    Normally I take conspiracy theories with a large pinch of salt but I know TJ is a very well connected man within county board circles; and that there was a large element within the board who lobbied for TJ to take sole charge 6/7 months ago.

But there was an equally large element who were very much against that due to his lack of experience and due to the view that better candidates existed.

Liam Sheedy was the one that there was universal support for, he was approached, but he made it clear that if he manages again it will only be for Tipp.

So back to the drawing board; the pro TJ side continued to lobby for him, while the TJ-skeptics turned their attention to O'Grady. But O'Grady shot them down.

Next, Ger Cunningham. Things appeared to be going well, although there was an insistence from the county board that TJ be involved in the backroom team. This was a sticking point, the board wouldn't let Cunningham pick his own backroom team.

I'm a bit hazy on some of the exact details but the joint manager "masterplan" was ultimately a compromise between the pro-TJ and the TJ-skeptic sides. Those who wanted a Limerick man got their wish. Those who wanted a proven big name got their wish. Those who wanted TJ got their wish. It was a compromise but ultimately it was a cop out.

Like I said at the start of the post, I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but I know for a fact a lot; not quite a majority but a lot of people in Limerick county board circles have now got exactly what they originally wanted back in September/October...

I've heard things on pretty much exactly the same lines, which further highlights the incompetencies of the County Board.

Would they have tried to foist TJ onto Liam Sheedy too, I wonder?

Trying to force people onto the backroom team is a terrible idea, and it shouldn't be allowed if you're making someone the boss. There should be Limerick people involved, but it shouldn't have to be one particular person, because then they're making them more permanent than the actual manager. Cunningham should have been told to pick his own backroom team, but to have at least one or two Limerick people in that... and I'm sure he would have, he's not stupid, having people who know the Limerick club game inside out would be of benefit to him. Even someone like Damien Quigley or Ollie Moran. Made a mess of that.

And I know you don't want to delve into rumours/conspiracy too much but how true is it that JP was a TJ-skeptic, as you put it?? And was one of those that wanted O'Grady as an experienced head... even if he didn't really want the job wholeheartedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Sam Jam

flutered wrote: »
    i have had my share of run ins ok, i also have another acc.

I'm laughing away here thinking this is not an appropriate conversation flutey. We shouldn't really be talking about these things. lol.

cough cough. Up Limerick!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

what ever way this fiasco ends i hope the idiot from the county board that got this whole argument started about the league will step aside or is sacked, there is an all too common theme here that has raised its head several times in the past

how could you blame the management when several of the na piarsaigh players were not available and with main forward declan hannon out injured, and those that said o grady didnt care are well off the mark here too

if this happened in any other county in the country the county board would be under siege , and until the board stop interfering with whats going on on the field ,this will just repeat its self time and time again ,with or without o grady

most on here are saying that a limerick man is required, a man with limerick at heart, a man with the love for the game, ok lets try it this way, let the lcb advertise the above, with the proviso that he /she does it for free, no expenses of any sort, no free meals, drive to games with at least two players in the car, for once lets prove that we have that person, for the last 30 odd years i have always said that limericks biggest problem is the co. board, i have yet to be proven wrong, suppose for arguements sake that jp says im finished with ye, how would they manage without the reported 3m each year, thats the problem they only have to turn up, they do not have to go out to work and beg for money, they can come up with one brain fart after another, because they do not have to work to subsidise it.

Are most saying that?

I think Limerick people need to be involved, but the head man can be from anywhere as long as he's the right man. It would be nice if we kept it all at home, but that's not always possible.

Not disagreeing with the other points though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Grats

Don't normally get involved in other counties affairs but for what it's worth here is my opinion on the latest upheaval in Limerick.

Despite what is perceived by some as a poor County Board hurling structures at under age level, schools and club would appear to be strong. Limerick have had much success at those levels so something is being done correctly. Obviously though there is a problem at senior level but just perhaps Limerick are looking to the wrong people to fix things for them. In the last number of years you appointed a Cork man as manager/coach in O'Grady, Allen, O'Grady. Two other Cork men were strongly considered for the role also in Cunningham and Cusack. What is the attraction for those men? Is it genuine interest in Limerick hurling? Is it to improve their cv? Is it the money of which there is apparently no limit in Limerick?

Going back to my original point regarding the strength of Limerick hurling at underage etc. - contrast that with Corks. It is just recently that new structures have been put in place in that county so it is hardly any great wonder that they have had little success at schools, minor, under 21, club etc. Even at senior level Cork have failed to win a title since 2005. It can be argued that it was the strength and style of Newtonwshandrum that contributed in no small way to that and the 2004 success. That style served cork well during that spell but like most fads, it fizzled out.

Taken all this into account you have to wonder if the Limerick County Board have been blinkered in looking to Cork for guidance. Limerick's own structures are ahead of Corks and the style of hurling been inflicted on the senior players is outdated.

Perhaps the biggest problem in Limerick is that the County board is too well off financially and consequently is blinded by the money. The money may also be attracting the wrong candidates for the position of manager/coach!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭shockframe

Grats wrote: »
    Don't normally get involved in other counties affairs but for what it's worth here is my opinion on the latest upheaval in Limerick.

Despite what is perceived by some as a poor County Board hurling structures at under age level, schools and club would appear to be strong. Limerick have had much success at those levels so something is being done correctly. Obviously though there is a problem at senior level but just perhaps Limerick are looking to the wrong people to fix things for them. In the last number of years you appointed a Cork man as manager/coach in O'Grady, Allen, O'Grady. Two other Cork men were strongly considered for the role also in Cunningham and Cusack. What is the attraction for those men? Is it genuine interest in Limerick hurling? Is it to improve their cv? Is it the money of which there is apparently no limit in Limerick?

Going back to my original point regarding the strength of Limerick hurling at underage etc. - contrast that with Corks. It is just recently that new structures have been put in place in that county so it is hardly any great wonder that they have had little success at schools, minor, under 21, club etc. Even at senior level Cork have failed to win a title since 2005. It can be argued that it was the strength and style of Newtonwshandrum that contributed in no small way to that and the 2004 success. That style served cork well during that spell but like most fads, it fizzled out.

Taken all this into account you have to wonder if the Limerick County Board have been blinkered in looking to Cork for guidance. Limerick's own structures are ahead of Corks and the style of hurling been inflicted on the senior players is outdated.

Perhaps the biggest problem in Limerick is that the County board is too well off financially and consequently is blinded by the money. The money may also be attracting the wrong candidates for the position of manager/coach!

You really should take a deeper look at what goes on in both counties.

The likes of o'Grady, Allen, and Cusack are as good as blacklisted from any role in Cork as long as Frank is around. Why wouldnt Limerick go after them.We have a dearth of coaching talent in the county. Simple as.

We're not too bad at the minute granted at underage but things are not that straightforward either.Cork minors have been stone age setups at underage so it wouldnt be all that hard to look better than them. I can predict big improvements from them in the years ahead.

Brian Ryan (a selector in the shambolic 2010 season) was given the minor job in 2013 and 2014 so he could get all the glory of something that he had very little to do with up along. He'll be gone the minute this season is over I have no doubt.

The counties best trainer (Paul Kinnerk) wouldn't traditionally get anywhere in Limerick hurling because of his football background.The senior club hurling mob would be all over him if he made a mistake.If you dont believe me look at the criticism dished out to allen and o grady.

Id like to believe that we were way ahead of cork but I can tell you the years ahead are going to be barren if we dont shake off the cronyism that exists in Limerick and fail to get the proper people to run the show.

• Advertisement

shockframe wrote: »
    You really should take a deeper look at what goes on in both counties.

The likes of o'Grady, Allen, and Cusack are as good as blacklisted from any role in Cork as long as Frank is around. Why wouldnt Limerick go after them.We have a dearth of coaching talent in the county. Simple as.

We're not too bad at the minute granted at underage but things are not that straightforward either.Cork minors have been stone age setups at underage so it wouldnt be all that hard to look better than them. I can predict big improvements from them in the years ahead.

Brian Ryan (a selector in the shambolic 2010 season) was given the minor job in 2013 and 2014 so he could get all the glory of something that he had very little to do with up along. He'll be gone the minute this season is over I have no doubt.

The counties best trainer (Paul Kinnerk) wouldn't traditionally get anywhere in Limerick hurling because of his football background.The senior club hurling mob would be all over him if he made a mistake.If you dont believe me look at the criticism dished out to allen and o grady.

Id like to believe that we were way ahead of cork but I can tell you the years ahead are going to be barren if we dont shake off the cronyism that exists in Limerick and fail to get the proper people to run the show.
    Good post.

That lad is and is well known at this stage for a total anti cork

He uses whatever medium he can as he always done to make slants at cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

So again it seems the county board couldnt even tell it straight on the resignation issue http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/hurling/2014/0423/610413-ogrady-limerick-calims/ and yes i'll take DO'G's word over there's.

As other have suggested i think JP needs to close the purse strings to senior level at least. We are competitive at underage and schools and those who have done good work at this level should be rewarded. We need a total purge of the CB at senior level.

Met people 20 years older than me who would have been fanatical supporters at my age, they simply raised their eyes to heaven or said "same **** different day" and moved on, if we dont sort this out now, that'll be us in 20 years time too.

i have seen tj s statment online,to me it has been written by the co board,if not the at least rubber stamped, however i am open to correction.

i do not know who is the co board, i have a question, how many of them have in the past got a slap of a hurley across the shins, also got a dig from the top of a hurley in the ribs or the kidneys on a reegular basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Sam Jam

Seriously kids, is there any chance you might learn to spell words correctly before you go pontificating on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hanalei

I find it amazing that the county board for some bizarre reason felt arbitration was necessary. There is absolutely no need for the intervention of an arbitrator in order for the county board to publicly retract a statement that they privately admitted was a false statement. It's pretty simple; retract the damn statement and move on.

I can only conclude that the county board were being deliberately obtuse in a bid to provoke one (or both) of O'Grady and Ryan to step down.

Their behaviour has been nothing short of disgusting. And their subsequent statements criticising O'Grady are childish and embarrassing.

Very interesting.

Considering he's just been backed by the county board... I mean he couldn't really stand down from his earlier statement, but there he makes it sound as if he's only doing it for the players.

Everything he says is true, and I know from his pov, if he backs down, he's probably never going to get the chance again... and it's obviously a job he wanted. But from a player/supporters' point of view, is he good enough?

@Hanalei- even if they felt they needed arbitration, the original statement should have been withdrawn immediately, before working on a new one. But they clearly meant to antagonise O'Grady.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

To say or believe that Limerick do not have enough quality home grown coaches is unbelievable. Over the years great coaches like Tom Ryan, Eamon Cregan and Ritchie Bennis to name a few have been shafted by various Limerick County Boards.T.J Ryan has the makings of a great coach/manager all he needs is time time to develop Limericks natural own style and is probably better off not to have Donal O'Grady imposing his out of date short passing game on the current Limerick squad. Limerick club hurling has a style a directness that is unique to Limerick. When the county team is trained to enhance that style rather than import a style foreign to the players it is only then that the full potential of Limerick will be realised.
    There as as many good home grown coaches in Limerick as there are in any other county to infer or insinuate otherwise is demeaning to the many great coaches in Limerick, The really serious damage being done to Limerick is this inferred suggestion that home grown quality Limerick coaches are non existant. Limerick will not give thier own a fair chance and that is the truth of the matter..
    I am a Kilkennyman who was deeply involved in Limerick club hurling both coaching and refereeing for more years than I care to remember so I am not an outsider just blowing off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Grats

To say or believe that Limerick do not have enough quality home grown coaches is unbelievable. Over the years great coaches like Tom Ryan, Eamon Cregan and Ritchie Bennis to name a few have been shafted by various Limerick County Boards.T.J Ryan has the makings of a great coach/manager all he needs is time time to develop Limericks natural own style and is probably better off not to have Donal O'Grady imposing his out of date short passing game on the current Limerick squad. Limerick club hurling has a style a directness that is unique to Limerick. When the county team is trained to enhance that style rather than import a style foreign to the players it is only then that the full potential of Limerick will be realised.
    There as as many good home grown coaches in Limerick as there are in any other county to infer or insinuate otherwise is demeaning to the many great coaches in Limerick, The really serious damage being done to Limerick is this inferred suggestion that home grown quality Limerick coaches are non existant. Limerick will not give thier own a fair chance and that is the truth of the matter..
    I am a Kilkennyman who was deeply involved in Limerick club hurling both coaching and refereeing for more years than I care to remember so I am not an outsider just blowing off.

I guess the above is a lot of what I was trying to say but Savannahcat puts it just perfectly. Another poster mentioned the money aspect and suggests to set aside the purse with regards to recruiting a manager/coach - it would be a major help.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement