Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair play to Pearse Doherty

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Interestingly, Nobel's will didn't establish the Economics prize; it was established and endowed by Sweden's Riksbanken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

The attacks on economics were in response to you attacking Doherty for merely having an engineering degree. That's going to raise hackles on a geeky place like boards. In any case do you fully accept the beliefs of Nobel winning economist Paul Krugman?. No you don't. Based on ideological principles. But there are no idealogical steady state theorists - there were but the evidence proved them wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

The attacks on economics were in response to you attacking Doherty for merely having an engineering degree. That's going to raise hackles on a geeky place like boards. In any case do you fully accept the beliefs of Nobel winning economist Paul Krugman?. No you don't. Based on ideological principles. But there are no idealogical steady state theorists - there were but the evidence proved them wrong.

Getting solid economic data is a phenomenally hard to thing to do especially, macro data. It is this difficulty which then makes many of models unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Alfred Nobel never designated a prize for economics (or maths). The economics prize was added by the Swedish central bank in the late 60's and although it is commonly referred to as the 'Nobel prize in Econmics', its official name is (at this point I am heading to wiki) ...Nobel Memorial Prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

There are plenty of disagreements in physics. The comparison of economics to the physical sciences is not really just. In the physical sciences, you are usually dealing with closed systems. In biology for example, people use cloned mice to limit variability. In chemistry they use pure chemicals to limit variability. In physics they can use specific instruments designed to limit variability. In economics you don't have that luxery as you are trying to work within a completely open system. Furthermore when you consider that the political and social factors will impact any economic model (both rational and irrational factors), it makes it an infinitely more difficult system to work with than in most scientific disciplines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭JRant

So spending cuts and/or wage cuts. It all boils down to the same thing. Citizens will either have their services cut or take home pay cut.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

And what makes him judge and jury on it? He has absolutely no proven experience or knowledge in the area.

He dropped out of his degree level studies at Letterkenny Institute of Technology, which he pursued after completing that certificate level course. Couldn't hack a course in LIT and yet the people of Donegal deem him suitable to represent them in office; mind-boggling stuff. A hard neck goes a long way in this country. Up there with Bertie and his claims that he studied at University College Dublin and the London School of Economics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

It takes some gall to slag off the ESRI when you couldn't finish a basic (probably level 7) three year degree in DIT. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

As I understand it, Doherty is only pointing out the obvious, that the ESRI have been wrong so many times before. Why does someone need to be economically qualified to point out earlier flaws? They've gotten it wrong in the past, this is fact, on record in black and white. He also stated very clearly that:
    he hopes the ESRI forecasts materialise in terms of growth and unemployment.

However, if they do materialise, it will be the first time ever because, he said, the ESRI has got it so wrong for many years.

I think David Moyes isn't the best manager in the English Premiership, and I have zero experience or qualifications in soccer management. I'm forming my opinion on his current record and dismal performance.

You seem to be hung up on an individual's academic qualifications, we all know however these are (or lack of) in Irish politics are irrelevant.

Do you need a weatherman to tell which way the wind blows?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

If you want to know which way it's going to blow tomorrow, I'll back Evelyn Cusack against Pearse Doherty every time.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

If you want to know which way it's going to blow tomorrow, I'll back Evelyn Cusack against Pearse Doherty every time.

Pfft. Weather forecasters have been wrong in the past, therefore meteorology isn't a science and all meteorologists are charlatans. Do try to keep up.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Pfft. Weather forecasters have been wrong in the past,

Yep. They've been correct in the past too though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

As I understand it, Doherty is only pointing out the obvious, that the ESRI have been wrong so many times before. Why does someone need to be economically qualified to point out earlier flaws? They've gotten it wrong in the past, this is fact, on record in black and white. He also stated very clearly that:

I think David Moyes isn't the best manager in the English Premiership, and I have zero experience or qualifications in soccer management. I'm forming my opinion on his current record and dismal performance.

You seem to be hung up on an individual's academic qualifications, we all know however these are (or lack of) in Irish politics are irrelevant.

On this one Doherty is completely wrong. The figures from the last few months have shown that austerity actually worked, the economy has turned around.

Godge wrote: »
    So he is saying that the ESRI said that austerity would lead to growth and the government imposed austerity and now that we are seeing growth resuming in the economy following the imposition of austerity that the ESRI are wrong.

I lost him in the logic.

Very strange analysis to say the least.

Until they are in power (Sweet divine jesus between us and all harm), when they would have to cross their fingers and hope that a run of growth would let them go on a Charlie McCreevy style vote-buying spending spree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

100% agree, and it says a lot about Doherty and SF that they are more interested in their own political ambitions than an economic recovery for the people of this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭golfball37

100% agree, and it says a lot about Doherty and SF that they are more interested in their own political ambitions than an economic recovery for the people of this country.

They are of course alone in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭flutered

since a lot of this thread is devoted to who has not a degree in whatever, has not rabbite gilmore and costelloe achived masters degrees in political ambitions, dotherty has quite a journey ahead of him to achive what these guys have.

Lastly, the context of Doherty's comments make it clear that he resents the implications of an optimistic economic outlook. Why? His party's ratings have trended sharply upward during the economic crisis, thanks largely to populist stances against bankers, bondholders, the IMF, spending cuts, and new taxes. Doherty knows that public discontent will disappear if people are no longer so concerned about their jobs, incomes, and futures. He's aware that in the absence of a continued gloomy economic outlook, Sinn Fein will slip back to being a minor player. So, Doherty and his fellow travellers need the economic crisis like fish need water. They want low growth, high unemployment, and public discontent so that they can further their own political ends. And so they don't want any pesky economists at the ESRI bursting the bubble.

Who else does this remind me of?

Answer yourself this. Would FG be in Govt if the economic crash had not have happened?
    What did FG say (or labour) they would do if they were elected (and reneged on most of their promises)?

In FGs case they're already slipping back to becoming minor players, the latest opinion polls put them on par with FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Good loser wrote: »
    John Fitzgerald said the forecasts mean the budgets can be easier from now on - Isn't that Pearse's line i.e. less austerity?

Usually the guy talks a lot but makes very little sense.

And who is John Fitzgerald married to? Oh yes, a former Labour Minister.

What did FG say (or labour) they would do if they were elected

For Fine Gael, the top-line summary was:

1. Help protect and create jobs
    2. Keep taxes low while fixing the deficit;
    3. Deliver smaller, better government;
    4. Create a completely new, fairer, more efficient health system; and
    5. Overhaul the way our political system works to stamp out cronyism and low standards

1 and 2 are going well. 3 was never going to happen (and Labour were pushing hard the other way), 4 is very hard, 5 is a never-ending struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

For Fine Gael, the top-line summary was:

1. Help protect and create jobs
    2. Keep taxes low while fixing the deficit;
    3. Deliver smaller, better government;
    4. Create a completely new, fairer, more efficient health system; and
    5. Overhaul the way our political system works to stamp out cronyism and low standards

1 and 2 are going well. 3 was never going to happen (and Labour were pushing hard the other way), 4 is very hard, 5 is a never-ending struggle.

Under which of those headlines does paying back the failed gamblers (the unsecured bond holders) at the expense of every man woman and child of this State fall?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

About 7 years ago my bank manager tried to get me to take out a second mortgage and buy another investment property. I refused because myself and the missus discussed it and felt that things might not be great if we couldn't get someone to rent it from us full-time and we felt that there were too many empty houses already.

The Bank manager probably had more qualifications than us but who was right?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

About 7 years ago my bank manager tried to get me to take out a second mortgage and buy another investment property. I refused because myself and the missus discussed it and felt that things might not be great if we couldn't get someone to rent it from us full-time and we felt that there were too many empty houses already.

The Bank manager probably had more qualifications than us but who was right?

A bank manager tried to sell you a financial product? Tell us more about this craziness.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Phoebas wrote: »
    A bank manager tried to sell you a financial product? Tell us more about this craziness.

BUT it proves that you don't have to have a degree to spot bulls*** :D
    Again fair play to Doherty for challenging them.

• Advertisement

Under which of those headlines does paying back the failed gamblers (the unsecured bond holders) at the expense of every man woman and child of this State fall?

They never promised to welch on our debts, so not welching was certainly not breaking any promises. The only related promise is one to renegotiate the deal with the troika, and they did indeed do that, even if the only outcome (so far) was the Anglo promissory note deal.

Advertisement