Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors Chat - Round 5*****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I've been offered a mk3 Golf SDI with 175k miles on it for €300. Will need belts,service and brakes done before nct. Normally I'd walk away but is it good value? I've no idea

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

You should walk away from every SDI car.

GvidoR wrote: »
    You should walk away from every SDI car.

My first car was a NA diesel. I enjoy their lazy nature. Rightly or wrongly I have this car stuck in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

ba_barabus wrote: »
    My first car was a NA diesel. I enjoy their lazy nature. Rightly or wrongly I have this car stuck in my head.

I had a mk3 SDI before and although slow as hell, it was fantastically reliable.
    I definitely recommend it if your going budget for a while BA.
    Them few bits will cost very little to put right on one of them, I'd say your tested etc for €600.
    At the back of it all they're a fun car to drive, i used to be able to get the inside wheel to lift in roundabouts for sport :D

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Spike Witwicky

I had a 01 SDI Caddy before. Hated it. Slow as a wet week yet still managed to slide it into a ditch on a sharp bend. Mostly drove it unladen so it handled terrible :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Old diesel

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I've been offered a mk3 Golf SDI with 175k miles on it for €300. Will need belts,service and brakes done before nct. Normally I'd walk away but is it good value? I've no idea

Rust is an issue on the Mk 3 afaik - so that needs to be checked for.

The diesels are fairly good other then that reliability wise.

Can't think of what the common issues on the Mk 3 diesel aside from the rust - but most of the ones ive known off - have ran perfectly fine mechanically.

175 k isn't an issue for a Mk 3 diesel in good mechanical order AND RUST FREE

The rust is what kills them IMO.

Old diesel wrote: »
    Rust is an issue on the Mk 3 afaik - so that needs to be checked for.

The diesels are fairly good other then that reliability wise.

Can't think of what the common issues on the Mk 3 diesel aside from the rust - but most of the ones ive known off - have ran perfectly fine mechanically.

175 k isn't an issue for a Mk 3 diesel in good mechanical order AND RUST FREE

The rust is what kills them IMO.

Do they RUST :D

Ah, I'm just looking for something to piddle about with in the summer. I think I'll hold firm for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Found s great way to save money

Lost my debit card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

A guy has just come into work today to collect an electronic handbrake module for a Scenic II, his was nicked from his car over the weekend! :pac:

Talk about unlucky...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

i have just made an informal decision.

im gonna win the lotto tonight !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

i have just made an informal decision.

im gonna win the lotto tonight !

Bummer dude, i made that same decision myself about 30 secs ago! Maybe next week :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

dgt wrote: »
    Have an interesting purchase lined up, but I'm £105 short..... Hopefully this exhaust will sell tomorrow and that's some of it got

Will do moose stuff for money! :pac:

Awwwww yeah, I am funds :cool:

Might head up and get my toy tomorrow! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

Awwwww yeah, I am funds :cool:

Might head up and get my toy tomorrow! :D:D:D

Presuming its an actual full car, is it an Alfa?

Or, at least, how many cylinders does it have?

Don't disappoint me..

Kaiser D wrote: »
    Presuming its an actual full car, is it an Alfa?

Or, at least, how many cylinders does it have?

Don't disappoint me..

Nah not a car.

But it makes a car a lot more fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Awww yeah... dgt is going to buy an S14 tomorrow.. cool.png

GvidoR wrote: »
    Awww yeah... dgt is going to buy an S14 tomorrow.. cool.png

It's not a car!!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

It's not a car!!!! :pac:

It must be a turbo so knowing you!!!!

OSI wrote: »
    Plenty of places around O'Connell St and Grafton St. that would sort you out. No need to go up north for that kind of stuff anymore ;)

Amazing what you'll find in Moore st or the Liberties if you look hard enough :pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

So I haven't driven the 325 since I ended up dumping all my coolant on the road up past the hellfire club on Sunday. All due to me not securing the lower expansion tank hose correctly :o. That is, until just now. Have everything back together, the coolant in and the system bled. Went for a couple of small loops around near the house and all seems good, even when "stressing" the system by giving it the loud pedal in first and second. Here's hoping she's sorted now, still not 100% confident in her at the moment, which is a pain in the arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

So I haven't driven the 325 since I ended up dumping all my coolant on the road up past the hellfire club on Sunday. All due to me not securing the lower expansion tank hose correctly :o. That is, until just now. Have everything back together, the coolant in and the system bled. Went for a couple of small loops around near the house and all seems good, even when "stressing" the system by giving it the loud pedal in first and second. Here's hoping she's sorted now, still not 100% confident in her at the moment, which is a pain in the arse.

Welcome to the club, I'm going spare here without a car, so much so that I walked from my house to newbridge today (bout 6 miles) just for something to do, praying my parts show up tomorrow or friday

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Welcome to the club, I'm going spare here without a car, so much so that I walked from my house to newbridge today (bout 6 miles) just for something to do, praying my parts show up tomorrow or friday

I'm just glad I don't need it for anything at the moment. Cycle to work, so that takes the pressure off. I'm pretty confident she's well sorted now though, and the coolant is well and truly flushed from the system at this stage!

Now to sort out wheels...hmmmmmm

I'm just glad I don't need it for anything at the moment. Cycle to work, so that takes the pressure off. I'm pretty confident she's well sorted now though, and the coolant is well and truly flushed from the system at this stage!

Now to sort out wheels...hmmmmmm

Not reps :P Or bbs :pac:

On the whole wheel thing Alan, would you think about going for a bit of a track look with the car?

I love Volk TE37's or the idea of a set of Rota Grid Drifts under an E46 would be my choice if I was choosing for that car :)

Volk TE37's...

6839812244_96f734cbee_o.jpg

Rota grid drifts...

058-1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Rota Grids like BBS CH are win on 95% of cars

Don't like them on an M3 though BBS CH maybe But 19 inch CSL's all da whey

Oh the rota grids were my first choice, but they're pricey. About 1500 with tires for a set of 18's. That's really pushing it for me!

Rota Grids like BBS CH are win on 95% of cars

Don't like them on an M3 though BBS CH maybe But 19 inch CSL's all da whey

Very true, they suit everything :)

Oh the rota grids were my first choice, but they're pricey. About 1500 with tires for a set of 18's. That's really pushing it for me!

:eek: Thats a fair price!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

YbFocus wrote: »
    :eek: Thats a fair price!!!

Volks are worse, £550 per wheel :p

stock-vector-scared-children-running-away-from-the-door-vector-37922281.jpg

• Advertisement

barbrady.jpg