Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Daily Achievement Thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭COH

Not posted here in a while but I'm in a sharing mood.

Since getting strong is secondary to my goal of losing fat and I'm operating on a deficit 95% of the time (even on gym days), I'll put a little update on the primary goal. I'm 5 months watching what I eat and doing some training, though I've only get serious about training since mid-February.

Today I've an 80 day log streak on MFP (good and bad). I've lost 16.7kg, averaging 1.87lb per week over 20 weeks. I am the lightest and fittest (though still not very fit :pac:) I've been in 8 years. I've had several plateaus, one or two increases, one or two biggish drops, eased off commitment once or twice, had some "fat" days (isn't every day a "fat" day for me? :D) and had some days I questioned what I've been playing at. It doesn't matter really though because I actually see changes now - I'm down a clothes size, I've had to add holes to belts, some of my jeans make me look like a gangsta wannabe and I'm having to pull out old, long forgotten clothes that haven't fit in years so I don't look homeless. I'm going skiing next week, and if the rate of loss keeps up I might be able to skydive before the year is out, something that's been a pipe dream for 15 years because of my bulk.

Moving on to gym stuff two or 3 weeks ago I figured out I could do an unweighted walking lunge, I was elated. I broke my femur in 2003 and spent six months on the mend. I've not been able to do a lunge since then - I have struggled with glute, quad and hamstring weakness and balance issues in that leg and will do for the rest of my days. But I'll have a 20kg empty bar split squat soon.

I still have some issues squatting but I believe they're more practice related than biomechanical issues. I broke my 50kg plateau from about six weeks ago and do 60kg a the minute. I'm hesistant to put on more weight until I'm confident I won't end up in snap city. I can't wait to hit 70, 80, 90, 100. By then I'll have dropped even more weight so maybe a bodyweight squat will be possible before I hit my 30s.

^-- I had **** form :o Apparently it's much better now, so I'm much more sore/happier. Still not going to push beyond the 100 though, need more deadlifting technique practice.

These might not mean much to some of the more seasoned people in here, but they mean a lot to somebody who was on a one-way ticket to heartattackville by 40 only 5 months ago.

TL:DR - F*ck yeah, achievements - I has them.

This is f*cking awesome - look forward to your next update :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

L-sit ring muscle up into double forward roll tonight. Was stuck on one roll for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Ant11 wrote: »
    L-sit ring muscle up into double forward roll tonight. Was stuck on one roll for a while.

This sounds like some ninja sh!t.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    This sounds like some ninja sh!t.

It probably sounds fancier than it actually is. Mostly technique.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Got a couple of pb's yesterday.

85kg snatch and 108kg clean and jerk. Body weight was 85kg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

DylanJM wrote: »
    Got a couple of pb's yesterday.

85kg snatch and 108kg clean and jerk. Body weight was 85kg.

Definitely more on both!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

120kg Squat new PR yay, had more in me but didn't wanna chance it.
    There is also a Power/Olympic Lifting society being set up , with coaches screening people to use the Platforms and teach the lifts. Awesome.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Bit of a mega update..

In November my noob gains and fat loss stalled and my cals were way too low. So I decided to start training in a calorie surplus which was a strange transition for someone that had been trying to lose weight for years

I have hit 3750 cals average since November (4200 training, 3200 rest) and I hit 250g of protein every day and I have gained 10kg and appear to have added a decent bit of mass to my frame without adding huge amounts of fat. Some traps and chest have appeared out of the woodwork :pac:

Body weight is now 82.5kg

I just finished a 10 week strength program with COH. When I started lifting my long term goal was a 2 x Bodyweight Deadlift, 1.5 x Bodyweight Squat, Bodyweight Bench, they seemed like ridiculous goals 18 months ago.

And I smashed them all lastnight!

170kg Deadlift
    130kg Squat
    82.5kg Bench

So thats a 20kg gain on Squat and DL in 10 weeks, and a 7.5kg gain on the bench. My bench was always poor and it took about 20 minutes to lock out that single rep :D

Next goal is 3 plate squat and 4 plate DL before the year is out

k6180_thumb.jpg

7p5ke_thumb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,564 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Superb work, chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Great work Conzy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

So a couple of PB's

Monday
    Standard Grip Bench 80kg x1 @81.5kg

Saturday
    Wide Grip Bench 85kg x1 @81.5kg

Very happy with myself

• Registered Users Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭COH

conzy wrote: »
    Bit of a mega update..

In November my noob gains and fat loss stalled and my cals were way too low. So I decided to start training in a calorie surplus which was a strange transition for someone that had been trying to lose weight for years

I have hit 3750 cals average since November (4200 training, 3200 rest) and I hit 250g of protein every day and I have gained 10kg and appear to have added a decent bit of mass to my frame without adding huge amounts of fat. Some traps and chest have appeared out of the woodwork :pac:

Body weight is now 82.5kg

I just finished a 10 week strength program with COH. When I started lifting my long term goal was a 2 x Bodyweight Deadlift, 1.5 x Bodyweight Squat, Bodyweight Bench, they seemed like ridiculous goals 18 months ago.

And I smashed them all lastnight!

170kg Deadlift
    130kg Squat
    82.5kg Bench

So thats a 20kg gain on Squat and DL in 10 weeks, and a 7.5kg gain on the bench. My bench was always poor and it took about 20 minutes to lock out that single rep :D

Next goal is 3 plate squat and 4 plate DL before the year is out

k6180_thumb.jpg

7p5ke_thumb.jpg

Its only just the beginning pal - you should be very proud of yourself.

Roll on the rest of 2014 ●[[----]]●

Sometimes it's not until you reach those 'ridiculous' goals that you realise how much you can achieve!

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chriity139

After 12 weeks off squats due to a knee injury I have finally gotten back on track, before the injury my pb was 152.5kg @ 84kg tonight I got 3x1 @ 130kg ATG.

Hoping to increase my weight by 2.5kg every week. In just over 2 months I should be at my previous pb if all goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

Clean and jerked 85kg on Saturday, then cleaned 87.5 but missed the jerk, BW is down to 69kg too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Pulled 140 for 1 rep last night @81kg...previous best was 137.5 @87kg

Could have done heavier but did felt confident with out a belt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Did 40 minutes ofupper and lower body mobility work today including banded distraction super frogs, before my 2x80 light bench.

Felt good (except the glutes)!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

This will prob sound a bit laaame but I don't care. Due to a locked facet joint in my neck and then a fairly horrendously long dose of Vertigo, I've been out of training for the guts of about 9 weeks or so.

The symptoms have subsided to a point (or heres hoping they've f*cked off completely!) where I can train again, so went back to the gym today! Wasnt exactly smashing any PR's but it's great to be lifting again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

my PR's are

@ 70Kg b/w

ATG Squat 140kg x 2
    Deadlift 180kg x 1
    Box Squat 152.5kg x 1
    Hip Thrust 190kg x 1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

MD1990 wrote: »
    my PR's are

@ 70Kg b/w

ATG Squat 140kg x 2
    Deadlift 180kg x 1
    Box Squat 152.5kg x 1
    Hip Thrust 190kg x 1

I just came in here to post a recent one of mine but now I don't see the point :p (still going to though)

@72kg bw I pulled 110kg x 5

Fair play on the DL man. Big numbers all round in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

Competed at the IPO Nationals at the weekend. Hit a big raw squat PR and a bench PR, pull wasn't what I wanted but the day was long and was helping out earlier! Thought I'd throw the vids up here, they're on my fb too anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,122 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A nice even 750kg total. wd

New deadlift 3RM of 175kg at 76.3kg.

Had intended stopping there but, since I'd a bit of time, I set a 1RM of 185. Was too goosed to see out the double

Had intended stopping there but, since I'd a bit of time, I set a 1RM of 185. Was too goosed to see out the double

Sweet! Not far from BW X2.5.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Clearly you have more strength than you need - send some this way :p

Ant11 wrote: »
    Sweet! Not far from BW X2.5.

Aye. I based my DL goal for 2014 on that basis...200 at no more than 80. If I work hard I can get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chriity139

3x1 170kg sumo deadlift. 3 weeks ago struggled at 3x1 @ 140kg

3x3 pullups bw + 20kg. Always struggled doing pull ups but now doing them every day has really improved my reps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Competed at the IDFPA Nationals.

That's basically the achievement given that I said I wasn't competing until about two weeks ago. Matched by bench PR and ~5% off my squat and deadlift PRs. About the return I deserved for the effort invested.

Next phase of The Plan begins now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Attempted box jumps for the first time ever today. No idea what this is like, technique-wise, but happy with the height!

Advertisement