Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco to 'honour' Dunnes/Supervalu money off vouchers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I did a survey for aldi as night on the vouchers and they asked about taking other firms vouchers which would be a good development

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

I used my aldi voucher in tesco, bought the usual bits I can't get in aldi as I always do and 20euro phone credit.

Then went over to aldi and did a 40euro shop. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

Why would a retailer bother to plan and pay for a voucher campaign when the others will accept them.

The vast majority of people will spend a Aldi voucher in Aldi. A minority will be aware and actually follow through with using a voucher in another chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Woodpecker1

Fungus wrote: »
    The vast majority of people will spend a Aldi voucher in Aldi. A minority will be aware and actually follow through with using a voucher in another chain.

Is that your own assumption Fungus?
    I work in tesco. And last weekend was a very very busy weekend. Lots of it due to that voucher thing. Papers where sold out very early. And we where restocking shelves all day.
    It was fairly well advertised through social media. People are very clued in these days on what's going on.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is that your own assumption Fungus?
    I work in tesco. And last weekend was a very very busy weekend. Lots of it due to that voucher thing. Papers where sold out very early. And we where restocking shelves all day.
    It was fairly well advertised through social media. People are very clued in these days on what's going on.

Net result: Tesco lose a huge amount of money with very little outlay by Aldi but its Aldi everyone thanks for it. Aldi 1 Tesco 0.

Tesco are not going to recover market share with stunts, they need to actually reduce prices, cut the promotional bollox and market the hell out of having done so.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    Net result: Tesco lose a huge amount of money with very little outlay by Aldi but its Aldi everyone thanks for it. Aldi 1 Tesco 0.

Tesco are not going to recover market share with stunts, they need to actually reduce prices, cut the promotional bollox and market the hell out of having done so.

100% agree with you.
    Must have been a lose at the tills for sure.
    But it is part of a strategy . How it pans out long term. I dunno. Im sure both big global size stores have smart thinkers on the payroll trying to turn a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I went in to Tesco and stocked up on bargain toilet rolls and kitchen rolls and used Aldi voucher. bother were half off and I got 10 packs of each - stocked up thanks to the voucher

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

100% agree with you.
    Must have been a lose at the tills for sure.
    But it is part of a strategy . How it pans out long term. I dunno. Im sure both big global size stores have smart thinkers on the payroll trying to turn a profit.

I don't get this strategy of chasing market share which is what Tesco is doing because Supervalu are on the verge of supplanting them as No.1. If it was me I would be prioritising profitability. If you sell stuff at a loss (which they have to be doing when they are taking an up to 20% hit on sales with these vouchers) you cannot keep doing this long-term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

I was talking to an Aldi store manager this evening and asked him about this. He said they're thrilled that Tesco are accepting the vouchers as it shows that they're getting worried :D It also means that Tesco are taking some of the hit for the loss involved while Aldi are getting all the good publicity. There only seems to be one real loser here...

kn wrote: »
    I don't get this strategy of chasing market share which is what Tesco is doing because Supervalu are on the verge of supplanting them as No.1. If it was me I would be prioritising profitability. If you sell stuff at a loss (which they have to be doing when they are taking an up to 20% hit on sales with these vouchers) you cannot keep doing this long-term.

I personally think its about getting people back in the door . Even if its at a loss. Apparently they have new staying low prices on essentials that are being heavily advertised. Plus the Price promise thing (love it or hate it) .
    They will get returning trade with it.

Supervalu are 1% behind them, but they bought that market share with the take over of superquinn rather than earning it for being better .
    Supervalu are in is much poo as tesco and dunnes with the german invasion.

Interesting reading here with regards Aldi . New news

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2599650/Big-four-supermarkets-lose-market-share-discount-rivals-Aldi-Lidl-Tesco-gears-post-second-profits-fall-year.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

• Advertisement

I personally think its about getting people back in the door . Even if its at a loss. Apparently they have new staying low prices on essentials that are being heavily advertised. Plus the Price promise thing (love it or hate it) .
    They will get returning trade with it.

Supervalu are 1% behind them, but they bought that market share with the take over of superquinn rather than earning it for being better .
    Supervalu are in is much poo as tesco and dunnes with the german invasion.

The only problem with that analysis is that I think its mainly the more 'savvy' shopper who is going to take Tesco up on this offer to stock up on the branded stuff they cannot get in Aldi. This shopper will then promptly ditch Tesco after the offer expires and go back to their bargain hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Betting loads of the Aldi higher ups are on Tesco Mobile, great way to get free credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

I personally think its about getting people back in the door . Even if its at a loss. Apparently they have new staying low prices on essentials that are being heavily advertised.

Except the new staying low prices are still higher than they used to be, and still higher than Aldi's
    For instance, they advertise the Pink Lady apples as part of that price reduction. At 3.29€ for 6, they are way cheaper than the 4.99€ they were a few weeks back. But still dearer than the 2.99€ they were before the price increase. And much dearer than Aldi's (1.99€ for 4)

Years ago, I used to shop mainly in Lidl, then Tesco got cheap enough that I could do most of my shopping there, all in one shop, which was very convenient. Then prices started to creep up, so much so that I could no longer afford it. Went back to Lidl, but they have too many branded stuff (at same prices as the other big players) for my liking

Aldi have made a huge effort in terms of quality and offering Irish, local produces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

the staying lower prices are a gimmick. how long will they stay low for? 6 months or so probably like they did a few years back with so called thousands of permanent price cuts to stop people going north? I bet most of those are now back up to or higher than what they were before their so called permanent price cuts.
    Aldi seem the big winner in this with the isles crammed every weekend with new shoppers leaving Dunnes and Tesco.

the staying lower prices are a gimmick. how long will they stay low for? 6 months or so probably like they did a few years back with so called thousands of permanent price cuts to stop people going north? I bet most of those are now back up to or higher than what they were before their so called permanent price cuts.
    Aldi seem the big winner in this with the isles crammed every weekend with new shoppers leaving Dunnes and Tesco.

According to the director, they will not be able to compete with aldi prices for a few years at least. How can they. With clubcard and all those major stores to pay for. Plus the 5% profit margin they maintain.
    Can see big changes happening from within in the next few years to cut costs.

I just hope it does not effect jobs.

According to the director, they will not be able to compete with aldi prices for a few years at least. How can they. With clubcard and all those major stores to pay for. Plus the 5% profit margin they maintain.
    Can see big changes happening from within in the next few years to cut costs.

I just hope it does not effect jobs.

It comes to whether consumers are motivated by 'gimmicks' or low prices. Take for example the PAYG mobile market where 20-35c headline call rates are the order of the day. The price is outrageous but the operators then compete on gimmicks like double or triple credit, free network calls etc. Then 3 in the UK come along with a 3p call, 2p text and 1p/Mb data offer with no gimmicks and blows everyone out of the water! Similar with Tesco's clubcard, you cannot expect ultra low prices with Tesco when they maintain gimmicks like clubcard whereas Aldi/Lidl are not doing gimmicks and are competing on price. Tesco, Dunnes etc will eventually have to decide to ditch the clubcard etc schemes and compete on price as Aldi/Lidi continue to eat their lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

wonder of you got 50 of cigs would they give you 10 off with the aldi voucher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Could you use the vouchers in Tesco petrol stations?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Tobacco is always excluded. You can use these in petrol stations attached to non-express stores but not on petrol/diesel.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

jem wrote: »
    wonder of you got 50 of cigs would they give you 10 off with the aldi voucher?

Illegal so no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

will tesco still accept a super valu voucher of spend 100 euro get 14 euro off
    will items in the store count

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭WIZWEB

Used one in Lidl yesterday. Like the products but the till operator who I previously asked where there curry had disappeared to was pig ignorant and almost short changed me. Perhaps it was his poor comprehension of English. Might just save myself all the drama and use next weeks voucher in Tescos.

So went into Tesco today with me €10 Aldi voucher, asked for 2 x €25 Tesco Mobile top-ups (I get 15GB data and 5000 texts free with a €25 top-up), presented the Aldi voucher, lady went off to get a special barcode they seem to need to scan it, and hey presto walked out with €50 in top-ups for €40.

If your doing something similar I would do it sooner rather than later as I am sure that Tesco management will eventually cop that they are being taken for a ride on this one soon enough!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,753 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

kn wrote: »
    If your doing something similar I would do it sooner rather than later as I am sure that Tesco management will eventually cop that they are being taken for a ride on this one soon enough!!

Isn't there an argument that it's no different than taking a tenner off anything else in the shop - people on here are saying that Tesco is getting fleeced by this but they are only doing what Aldi or Lidl etc are offering anyway.

Is giving a tenner off a €50 top up costing Tesco more than giving €10 of €50 worth of groceries? I don't think so - if anything it could be the other way around.

Isn't there an argument that it's no different than taking a tenner off anything else in the shop - people on here are saying that Tesco is getting fleeced by this but they are only doing what Aldi or Lidl etc are offering anyway.

Is giving a tenner off a €50 top up costing Tesco more than giving €10 of €50 worth of groceries? I don't think so - if anything it could be the other way around.

They are not getting a 20% margin on top-up/gift card sales so they are making a significant loss here hence why they are invariably one of the exclusions from these offers but because Aldi do not sell these products they do not put them in their terms of conditions which creates the 'loophole' that I danced all over today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

WIZWEB wrote: »
    Used one in Lidl yesterday. Like the products but the till operator who I previously asked where there curry had disappeared to was pig ignorant and almost short changed me. Perhaps it was his poor comprehension of English. Might just save myself all the drama and use next weeks voucher in Tescos.
    I know, it's awful how Lidl go out of their way to only hire ignorant cashiers. I've never had a bad experience in any other shop. :rolleyes:

Anyway, idle curiosity, when discount vouchers like this are used, is the VAT still payable by the store on the whole amount? And if it's not, how is it determined which E40 to levy the VAT on if there's a mixed bag of 23% items, 0% baby items etc etc?

Reading words here like 'doomed,desperate and staring into the abyss' :D Tesco still have biggest market share in Ireland so someones still shopping there?

And when Dunnes and Aldi sold Fruit and Veg and xmas for 1c was that desperate??

And i dont see how Tescos getting taking for a ride if people spend these vouchers on phones credit as theres not much profit from these anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

WIZWEB wrote: »

If you want a wee chat about the weather go to superquinn or the post office... No messin at the tills in lidl or aldi...they go fast so you save money. You asked someone where something wasnt!! Go figure..

• Advertisement

Armelodie wrote: »
    If you want a wee chat about the weather go to superquinn or the post office... No messin at the tills in lidl or aldi...they go fast so you save money. You asked someone where something wasnt!! Go figure..

Superquinn are gone and the Post Office may not be far behind them.......

Advertisement