Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 4 Episode 1 "Two Swords" : HAVE read the books

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Thing is, most of my show-only friends adore Syrio and Jaqen so I reckon any mention of Braavos will be well received.

I think the non bookies assume that Arya will go on a huge revenge spree now though. The same way they assume Dany will soon be back in Westeros :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Dany is on her way back to westeros, and she's bringing eleventygazillion soldiers and a thousand dragons, its gonna be epic, EPIC I tells ya.

any day now, just you wait

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    Dany is on her way back to westeros, and she's bringing eleventygazillion soldiers and a thousand dragons, its gonna be epic, EPIC I tells ya.

You're in denial man....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Arya adding the red woman to her list of names could be a potential spoiler for future books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Tzar Chasm wrote: »

Oh the Battle for Westeros, a thousand dragons and eleventygazillion soldiers facing off against an endless white walker army of frozen Others, with Jon Snowas chief dragon rider alongside Daenarys Targeryan, with Bran warging from dragon to white walker as needed.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

I know this guy, non book reader. I asked him today about his reaction to the RW, and he wasn't very happy.

Waiting for what he has to say next week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,495 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I think I'd like her if there was more action. So much of her storyline is them just walking to different places and her right-hand man being thoroughly friendzoned. She hasn't faced any true adversity in her travels yet, whereas a lot of other characters are encountering problems all over the place. Her journey just seems a bit smooth and uneventful compared to others.

Quote about Dany from the other thread...amen brother:pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Barna77 wrote: »
    I know this guy, non book reader. I asked him today about his reaction to the RW, and he wasn't very happy.

Waiting for what he has to say next week :D

I watch with my non-book reading girlfriend. She could sense something was going to happen at the red wedding about 5 minutes before it all kicked off. I've given her a bit of a red herring by saying after this episode "oh they're just setting up stuff for later in the season where all the action will be again". I'm hoping for genuine shock next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I watch with my non-book reading girlfriend. She could sense something was going to happen at the red wedding about 5 minutes before it all kicked off. I've given her a bit of a red herring by saying after this episode "oh they're just setting up stuff for later in the season where all the action will be again". I'm hoping for genuine shock next week.

The use of 'The Rains of Castemere' in that scene was a big giveaway...I always thought it began too early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Bacchus wrote: »
    I too would like to see a bit of a shake-up of her story. It has progressed well over the 3 seasons but another siege on another slave city seems a bit repetitive at this point.

However, she's been through LOADs of adversity so far....
    - Brother sold her to a savage who raped her repeatedly
    - After finally turning that situation to her advantage, he dies and she's abandoned in the desert with no food, water or shelter
    - Her followers were slaughtered and her dragons stolen from her in Quath
    - She was temporarily held hostage by the warlocks (who are still after her... wonder will they come back into it soon?)
    - She quite skilfully dealt with the slave army liberation

Since then she has freed a bunch of cities and things have been going better for her, which is why I hope something new is done with her soon. I doubt it will happen this season but I really hope at the end of season 4, she'll be on a boat with her army heading for Westeros.
    Looks like non book readers will be sharing a lot of our frustrations with regards Dani :D

• Advertisement

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Looks like non book readers will be sharing a lot of our frustrations with regards Dani :D

Poor fúckers don't know what they're in for...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

GerB40 wrote: »
    Poor fúckers don't know what they're in for...

I think we're really going to get a backlash around Season 5 and complaints that the story is dragging it's heels or claws....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Daith wrote: »
    I think we're really going to get a backlash around Season 5 and complaints that the story is dragging it's heels or claws....

This is where flashbacks to the back story from Bran could inject some action to the dull periods. I don't know how it would work in practice though.

Well unless there's some drastic deviations from the books Danys story will be dragged out too much so they won't be wrong by complaining..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,495 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

You can already see them getting impatient about Dany over on the other thread:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I have not finished reading all the books yet on number 5 part 2
    but do we actually know the Hound is dead. From what I remember Arya left him bleeding

Have not seen EP. 1 so do not know if the scene is in this epuisode or not

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Edit. martingriff don't read this post.
    Well unless there's some drastic deviations from the books Danys story will be dragged out too much so they won't be wrong by complaining..

The Harpy killings (could be this season) & wedding, Quentyn and the Dragons, The Fighting pit, Barsiton going badass. Tyrion going east, Tyrion and Jorah heading towards Dany getting mixed up with Pirates and Slavers in Yunkai, ending up in the armies outside Meereen, and escaping to the Second Sons.

Massive battles in and around Meereen involving Barristons leading Dany's forces, the Merc's changing sides, and the Greyjoy fleet landing and attacking also.

And there are other characters on their way to see and bring Dany back to Westeros.

All that might not include Dany, but she is central to all those plots, and it might make for some seriously entertaining TV once they get the boring Meereen book bits out of the way. (this coming from someone who fecking hates Book Daenerys Targaryen).

I have not finished reading all the books yet on number 5 part 2 but do we actually know the Hound is dead. From what I remember
    Arya left him bleeding

Since he dies out of sight of a POV character, there's numerous possibilities for his return. There are theories he's the gravedigger at the Quiet Isle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Since he dies out of sight of a POV character, there's numerous possibilities for his return. There are theories he's the gravedigger at the Quiet Isle.

Ya was not the thread I should have posted on to be fair. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I have not finished reading all the books yet on number 5 part 2
    but do we actually know the Hound is dead. From what I remember Arya left him bleeding

Have not seen EP. 1 so do not know if the scene is in this epuisode or not

A Feast for Crows
    You're right about Arya leaving the Hound bleeding, but it is strongly hinted at, at the end of AFFC, that 'Sandor Clegane' is still alive when Brienne visits the Quiet Isle and there is a Hound-sized gravedigger.

I can't remember exactly, but the septon says something to suggest that 'the Hound' is dead, but Sandor Clegane is possibly still alive and has probably renounced violence and now lives a 'gravedigging monk'.

• Advertisement

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Edit. martingriff don't read this post.

The Harpy killings (could be this season) & wedding, Quentyn and the Dragons, The Fighting pit, Barsiton going badass. Tyrion going east, Tyrion and Jorah heading towards Dany getting mixed up with Pirates and Slavers in Yunkai, ending up in the armies outside Meereen, and escaping to the Second Sons.

Massive battles in and around Meereen involving Barristons leading Dany's forces, the Merc's changing sides, and the Greyjoy fleet landing and attacking also.

And there are other characters on their way to see and bring Dany back to Westeros.

All that might not include Dany, but she is central to all those plots, and it might make for some seriously entertaining TV once they get the boring Meereen book bits out of the way. (this coming from someone who fecking hates Book Daenerys Targaryen).

All valid points but the problem is that none of them are "and Dany arrives in Westeros" or even gets on a boat!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Just a theory about The Hound. Think I read somewhere Maisie Williams said that the book readers may be in for a liitle suprise with Arya this season. Is it possible she grants The Hound his wish of mercy? Always thought it was a little cruel of her to leave him bleeding like that, like it or not he did kind of look after her on their travels!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

All valid points but the problem is that none of them are "and Dany arrives in Westeros" or even gets on a boat!

Well at this rate, I don't think she will ever get there. The House with the Red door in Braavos might be as far as he gets.

This whole riding Dragons and beating the White Walkers seems like the kind of thing that Martin will let us think, then just kill all the dragons in Meereen.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Just a theory about The Hound. Think I read somewhere Maisie Williams said that the book readers may be in for a liitle suprise with Arya this season. Is it possible she grants The Hound his wish of mercy? Always thought it was a little cruel of her to leave him bleeding like that, like it or not he did kind of look after her on their travels!!

And he tried to help Sansa. I like the Hound, he has a soft spot for the Stark girls at least. He could have raped or beaten either Sansa OR Arya (and probably still gone about giving her back to whatever family member was still alive for money). But he didnt.

He also saved Ser Loras from what was most likely a beheading at the hands of Gregor. Although he did that out of his hatred for Gregor rather than his sense of justice for Loras. But he still did it.

But he was on the list. Despite the weird brother/sister, father/daughter (or whatever the fúck) relationship they had, Arya will always remember Mycah the butchers boy.
    She has gained the trust of the hound and just like Polliver may give him his deserving death..
    More proof that bad-ass Arya might be coming sooner rather then later.

And he tried to help Sansa. I like the Hound, he has a soft spot for the Stark girls at least. He could have raped or beaten either Sansa OR Arya (and probably still gone about giving her back to whatever family member was still alive for money). But he didnt.

He also saved Ser Loras from what was most likely a beheading at the hands of Gregor. Although he did that out of his hatred for Gregor rather than his sense of justice for Loras. But he still did it.
    Every man has his code... (Omar Comin)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Every man has his code... (Omar Comin)

That is a nice touch.
    I think the hound is a decent guy, serving bad kings and doing as he was told made him less so, but the more time away from the king the more moral he becomes. There is no mention in the books of him partaking in rape unlike his bro.
    I am so hoping my other half does not hear the phrase purple wedding this week. He has no idea. Tyrian and Tywyn are his favs so this is going to be a fun season.

Yeah "Purple" Wedding is being thrown around so I've had friends connecting Red Wedding to be Robb's death to Purple being Joffreys.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd be surprised. It's always seemed to me that the Clegane brothers have to come to a head at some point and Cersei's upcoming trial by the faith would seem an obvious time for that to happen: "Ser Robert Strong" being her champion and the "Gravedigging Monk" as the champion of the faith...

It's a scene many are expecting to happen and, tbh, even if it's possibly a litttle too predictable/cliché, I really want it to because, well, it's the hound versus the mountain!

I do wonder, however, if she might end up travelling to Bravos with Tyrion. The showrunners seem to recognise Williams talent and some of her best non-book scenes to date were her acting against Charles Dance's Tywin... wonder if she'll somehow replace Penny or simply end up on the same ship as him only to escape from him off to begin her story in the House of Black and White...

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote: »
    I really want it to because, well, it's the hound versus the mountain!

Oh yes. Poetic justice in the form of the Hound mashing Ser Roberts helmed head into a brazier and then helm to fall off and reveal...........

Advertisement