Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭horse7

I am familiar with the colour,i had a micra with similiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭eddie

Elderly lady mugged and dragged across ground this evening approx. 6:00 by two scum in hoodies with scarfs around their face.. tried it on another lady a few minutes earlier just at entrance to coolmine woods from snugboro road. They ran off before anyone could get to them.

So a mate of mine had his house broken into the other day at 2pm. The people in question broke in the front door within 5 seconds. The funny thing was he was watching them as they had called before and when he answered the door they offered to sell him towels or clean his gutters. This time he pretended he was not in when suddenly the started hammering down his door. He grabbed a crow bar and chased them off. Gardai were called and a case pending.

Not only that but he got a name from a neighbor and address. (wont post here for legal reasons) They are living in Dublin 15.

What to look for.

Black hatchback parked close by.
    Blonde woman on the phone in the car.
    Normally has kids with her.
    The a guy or guys will knock at a number of doors at once
    If no answer they will give the door a kick to see if alarmed
    If no alarm they will have the door open within 5 seconds
    If you do answer they will will be quick thinking, and offer to sell you something or clean something cut something.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭robbie000

what estate did this happen in, you might want to post this in the neighbourhood watch section.

I didnt even know there was a neighborhood watch section. I dont want to give too many details away protecting his privacy. A thing i forgot to mention was double / treble up on your locks as it literally took them 5 seconds to get in the front door breaking the chub.

• Advertisement

I just asked location as Dublin 15 is a huge area be more beneficial to give an idea of the area like roselawn, clonsilla, ongar, corduff, blanchardstown village etc no one will tell were the person lives from getting information like that.

Also was it an old hall door the wooden type with just one lock as these could be easily knocked in wouldnt think the more modern PVC type doors would be gone through in 5 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

robbie000 wrote: »
    I just asked location as Dublin 15 is a huge area be more beneficial to give an idea of the area like roselawn, clonsilla, ongar, corduff, blanchardstown village etc no one will tell were the person lives from getting information like that.

Also was it an old hall door the wooden type with just one lock as these could be easily knocked in wouldnt think the more modern PVC type doors would be gone through in 5 seconds.

They would, mine was done two years ago.
    Unless the door is locked, engaging the internal locking mechanisms,
    They slip a hard piece of plastic at the rocker and slip the door open.
    Never heard a thing!

Never heard a thing!

My point is still correct if you locked your door they wouldnt have gotten in or lifted it in a few seconds. I would not stay in my house anytime without locking my front door so maybe thats a lesson to everyone to lock there front door when at home.

Never heard a thing!

This was done in Blanchardstown, The way it was broken in was a tool forced in against the chub lock , hit 3 times and tore the chub lock right out of the wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭horse7

Break-ins on the up in the stockton/auburn ave area. House done on friday evening, 8 to 9pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭altor

I didnt even know there was a neighborhood watch section. I dont want to give too many details away protecting his privacy. A thing i forgot to mention was double / treble up on your locks as it literally took them 5 seconds to get in the front door breaking the chub.

Another secure option is to protect the barrel in any door. Older euro barrels should be replaced with antisnap/antibump locks. It takes the blink of an eye to break the euro barrels to gain entry. The multipoint locking system is no good once the barrel is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Recently had to call a locksmith as I'd locked myself out of the apartment. He advised me to get the locks changed as it took him all of 15 seconds to open the door. Also advised getting a second lock installed for safety.

I would hazard a guess that 90% of the surrounding apartments have the same door lock and wouldn't take much effort to break in.
    Don't know the brand of lock that I have but it's the one where you can easily lock it from the inside without the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Batholemow Cubbins

Hi people of Dublin 15, quick update on a break-in recently in the area (Clonsilla) last week, happened to my friend.

Burglars came in through back kitchen door, having initially tried to gain entry through the PVC window but couldn't remove pane of glass from the windowframe. The bottom half of the door lock was taken off with a pliers, then the lock snapped and the door opened.

Burglar took the broken part of the door & lock with them to prevent fingerprints being taken, very professional. House alarm not switched on :cool:, so family asleep upstairs heard nothing.

Car keys for family saloon car found in handbag in kitchen and car taken from driveway, also some cash taken from purse but nothing else. Gardai called the following morning and place dusted for fingerprints. My friend was told that car could be in the local area until heat died down, and maybe to go look for it and if found to call them immediately.

Friend went looking for car, found within an hour in a communal car park for apartments/town houses in Ongar, I would say less than two miles from where it was stolen. :rolleyes:

Gardai called and they went and checked it out, said that the family were "known" to them, but couldn't enter the house in this case as they had no evidence of any wrongdoing.

Forensics came down and got fingerprints from the car and owners drove the car away, now waiting to see what happens. If anyone wants further info they can PM me. Hope this helps. Gardai said that had alarm been on it would have gone off and they would have run away, message is - PUT YOUR HOUSE ALARM ON EVERY NIGHT!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Hi all, friends car was stolen from outside his apartment in waterville last night.
    09D black BMW 520d M Sport.
    Glass on ground found outside, they didnt enter to take the keys.

If people can check their underground/car parks it would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

brightkane wrote: »
    Hi all, friends car was stolen from outside his apartment in waterville last night.

Perhaps it was towed away?

yeah most probably

yeah most probably

Robbed to order so. Scum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Sorry to hear that. I live in Waterville and it's been very quiet on the trouble front lately, not good to hear that scumbags are hanging around. You mightn't want to mention the cluster name but if you do it would be good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Can you give us the reg?

Arciphel wrote: »
    Can you give us the reg?

I could post it up on 'Blanchardstown' past and present. it has 3500 Blanchies following on FB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Arciphel

From the previous post, I'd advise your friend to get over to Ongar this evening and have a look around there!

Yeah hes been doing the car parks and estates alright.
    Might not be left out as window broken so might be in underground.

09D30709 is the reg

Will tell him about past and present, seems a professional job, street lights were taken out at the same time according to the management company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Loads of cars in the estate had "We Buy Cars For Cash" leaflets over them when i came home this evening. Do attempted breaking ins etc. usually follow?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

is there anything that can be done about the nuisance ice cream vans they never even stopped going around in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

PucaMama wrote: »
    is there anything that can be done about the nuisance ice cream vans they never even stopped going round in the winter.

I remember getting dome icecream off one before that was constantly going around. The guy had no manners at all never said a think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

PucaMama wrote: »
    is there anything that can be done about the nuisance ice cream vans they never even stopped going around in the winter.

Not unless he's roaming around the estate after 11pm with his music blaring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Loads of cars in the estate had "We Buy Cars For Cash" leaflets over them when i came home this evening. Do attempted breaking ins etc. usually follow?

Report them to the neighbourhood liaison Garda. That's what we did when we found them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭daymobrew

athtrasna wrote: »
    Report them to the neighbourhood liaison Garda. That's what we did when we found them.
    What did the Garda do?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I could post it up on 'Blanchardstown' past and present. it has 3500 Blanchies following on FB.

How did this new "blanchies" thing come about :confused:

Never described myself as a "blanchie" in my whole life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,824 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

amdublin wrote: »
    How did this new "blanchies" thing come about :confused:

Never described myself as a "blanchie" in my whole life

Must be something thats down with the kids.

Consider yourself baptised.

Advertisement