Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mrs Docjewel

slingerz wrote: »
    you'll be passing him in no time! you just need to do the 20 mile long runs he does every couple of days!:eek:

Ya no time at all!!! I hear he's in demand to pace someone to a half marathon soon!!! He'd better get over his injury fairly quickly or my running will start to suffer! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Just finished w5 day 1. Good craic this is, I think I;m on week 3 in real life as I skipped ahead at the start but messed up my knee so taking days off now.

I'd like to do that run in the park but €20 seems steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

RasTa wrote: »
    Just finished w5 day 1. Good craic this is, I think I;m on week 3 in real life as I skipped ahead at the start but messed up my knee so taking days off now.

I'd like to do that run in the park but €20 seems steep.

Yeah I do agree but I work on Saturdays so the fact it is on Sunday is a big draw. It's also got a large range of runners / walkers too so it's not that those graduating out of the couch to 5k will be left trailing behind the bulk of the crowd. I think it's set up to be a bit more than a run and some of the fees are funding the other activities on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

How do I start off a thread? I find boards.ie hard to find my way around on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Just started week 4, two people in work are on week one. Tis great fun, the nhs podcasts are good although the music is bad.
    Running the lengths hasn't been hard so far, ti was the leg pain, knee shin pain, which seems to be easing off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Hi all, I'm on my last week of the Zen Labs C25K and really happy how it has gone. Like most I struggled with the 8 minute intervals and then the 20 min runs but it all feels so much better now, was out today for a 28 min run, very windy so ran for 14 mins into the wind and 14 with it on my back, felt really good in the last few minutes. I really think the secret is to stick to the plan, ok if you feel the need to repeat a week then do it. I dont have a Garmin and the app I use does not tell you how far you have run. I would like to do the Park Run just to see what time I would do 5K in. I feel that I'm running at a reasonable speed. Hopefully the Park Runs will continue in the new year, I really fine the cost of entering the 5k races to be a bit rich, the Park Runs are free.

A little bit of background here, I ran the last of my 7 marathons in 1987 at the age of 33 and then more or less stopped running, I think I just got stale and then discovered golf which had been my sport ever since. I had a best DCM time of 2.55 so was really pleased with myself. I am now 59 and decided that I had to do something about my fitness, golf and walking the dog wasnt doing anything for my body shape!. So, here I am now just finished the C25k and really looking forward to carrying on to the 10k schedule and enjoying every minute of it, but a bit concerned about the Zen Labs app for 10k as it picks up after week 9 of the 5k but has you doing 4x10 min runs with 1 min walk between, all seems a bit strange. Anybody tried it or have any ideas other than just adding a little more time each week. All help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Just bumping this as I started the C25K programme last week and just started on week 2 this afternoon.

A bit of background: I'm 37, 5ft 10, 13ish stone, smoke, love Guinness, love food and I have done zero exercise since I left school over 20 years ago.

Started last Saturday and if I'm honest, it wasn't as hard as I had expected it to be. Don't get me wrong, it was hard, but I actually managed to complete it - which I didn't expect. I very nearly gave up about halfway through W1D1, but persevered and kept going to the end. That small sense of achievement made me get out on Monday and complete W1D2.

I can't say that it got any easier over the other two sessions, but I finished them as well and here I am tonight after finishing W2D1.

I found today hard. I also got what felt like a cramp in my right calf muscle during the second last interval, which didn't help, and I can still feel it now. I hope it's just the muscles responding to the first bit of exercise they've had in years and I'll be alright to start again on Monday.

Anyway, I really want to finish this and at the moment I'm confident that I can. Reading this thread from the beginning the other day has really helped.

Congrats on getting out and started. It really is half the battle. I also felt twinges along the way starting off and this can be normal. That said listen closely to your body. If it's just a bit of muscle grumbling push through but if the pain is there as a true pain then be smart enough to ease up and rest. Don't use the niggle as an excuse but don't ignore it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

Did W5 D2 today, got through it but very nervous of doing D3 - a 20 min continuous run seems beyond me.

Going to try it and see how I get on. Will be putting some time into creating my playlist in advance, think I'll need all the help I can get!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Twenty10 wrote: »
    Did W5 D2 today, got through it but very nervous of doing D3 - a 20 min continuous run seems beyond me.

Going to try it and see how I get on. Will be putting some time into creating my playlist in advance, think I'll need all the help I can get!

Take it easy and you will get there . Don't focus on the 20 mins bit, I found it more of a mental than physical challenge. Be prepared for some whooping and punching the air when you complete. I know for me it was after this run that I became confident of successfully completing the program.

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

W2D2 today and I felt a bit better doing it than I did last Friday. I suppose that's the point though.

I've been using the RunDouble app for my past 3 runs and was a little disheartened to see that both my pace and distance covered have dropped each time.

W1D3
    Distance: 2.65 km
    Pace: 06.59 min/km

W2D1
    Distance: 2.59 km
    Pace: 07.20 min/km

W2D2
    Distance: 2.54 km
    Pace: 07.28 min/km

The first run was done on the road and the last two were done on the beach, if that makes any difference?

El Weirdo wrote: »
    W2D2 today and I felt a bit better doing it than I did last Friday. I suppose that's the point though.

I've been using the RunDouble app for my past 3 runs and was a little disheartened to see that both my pace and distance covered have dropped each time.

W1D3
    Distance: 2.65 km
    Pace: 06.59 min/km

W2D1
    Distance: 2.59 km
    Pace: 07.20 min/km

W2D2
    Distance: 2.54 km
    Pace: 07.28 min/km

The first run was done on the road and the last two were done on the beach, if that makes any difference?

It sure does. As could....

Session variations. Are these identical sessions running and walking time.
    Difference in hills and inclines.
    Wind speed and direction variations.
    General fatigue from accumulation of sessions.
    Good night or bad nights sleep.

There is more than these too but bottom line is don't be hung up on pace or distance covered just yet. Concentrate on hitting your running time goals first. Once running for 30/35 min at a time the 5k will take care of itself.

cheers for the advice, the Muppet, went out tonight after a long day at work and started off repeating day 2 but when it came to the walk bit I continued to run. So in the end did 21 mins of very slow running, chuffed with myself!

Looking forward to starting week 6 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Twenty10 wrote: »
    cheers for the advice, the Muppet, went out tonight after a long day at work and started off repeating day 2 but when it came to the walk bit I continued to run. So in the end did 21 mins of very slow running, chuffed with myself!

Looking forward to starting week 6 now.

Delighted for you, it's all downhill from here, don't be worrying about distance or pace for now, that will come in time , for now it's all about running for the 20 mins.

I didn't run the 5k until a few weeks after I had completed the program.

Not getting out as often as I'd like but did complete wk 6 day 3 this evening, tonight's 22min run was less of a struggle than the previous 20 min one. Surprised myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'm so impatient. I just did Week 4, Day 1 and I want to skip ahead to Week 5 on the next one. I've run 5k before, but not since late 2011. I decided to do this to get back in to it, but I won't really get to feel any sense of achievement until I can go farther than I used to - I'm not good at delayed gratification! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Hey, I haven't posted in this thread for a long time but I just wanted to let you know and brag that this lunchtime I just completed my first 5k in under 30mins.

When I started last year, I could barely jog 100 meters. This 5k plan helped so much at the start its one of the best programs I have ever experienced so keep it up everybody, its worth it.

Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

bullvine wrote: »
    Hey, I haven't posted in this thread for a long time but I just wanted to let you know and brag that this lunchtime I just completed my first 5k in under 30mins.

When I started last year, I could barely jog 100 meters. This 5k plan helped so much at the start its one of the best programs I have ever experienced so keep it up everybody, its worth it.

Cheers,

Great to hear success like this. Starting soon myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Great to hear success like this. Starting soon myself!

Good luck with it BobbyPropane and make sure to pop back here to let us know how you're getting on.

Ososlo wrote: »
    Good luck with it BobbyPropane and make sure to pop back here to let us know how you're getting on.

Thanks and will definitely keep a log here! :)

• Advertisement

Thanks and will definitely keep a log here! :)

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Finally did it!! After lots of false starts and giving up I started again in Jan and today I did it!!

FÙCK YEAH!!

frag420 wrote: »
    Finally did it!! After lots of false starts and giving up I started again in Jan and today I did it!!

FÙCK YEAH!!

That's brilliant! Major congrats and what a super time for your first 5k! Worth sticking with it. On to 10k training with you now;)

FÙCK YEAH!!

**** yes! :cool:

Postponing my start until June given exams coming up :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Ososlo wrote: »
    That's brilliant! Major congrats and what a super time for your first 5k! Worth sticking with it. On to 10k training with you now;)

Cheers!! So that's a good time for 5k? I'm not sure what a good time is as just looking to build up distance and stamina with a steady pace. Going to stick with 5k for a few weeks until I'm fully comfortable with it and then use the bridge to 10k programme. Hoping to get to 10k by July fingers crossed!!

Cheers!! So that's a good time for 5k? I'm not sure what a good time is as just looking to build up distance and stamina with a steady pace. Going to stick with 5k for a few weeks until I'm fully comfortable with it and then use the bridge to 10k programme. Hoping to get to 10k by July fingers crossed!!

You've only been running a few months so I would say you should be very proud of your time today. It's a great base to work from and is only the beginning for you. You'll be under 30 in no time if you stick with it.
    I did similar to you when I finished the programme and continued with the 3 mile runs 3 times a week and just added a few mins onto each run and gradually built it up to 4 miles for each run and then did a bridge to 10k programme. July to target a 10k race sounds like a super plan. Well done again:)

FÙCK YEAH!!

Thats a savage time for first go!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Did Week 7, Day 1 on Saturday at exactly 6:00 min/km pace, so the 5k in 30 mins is on! Hurry up and bring on Week 9 now so I can get it done, I'm looking forward to it!

I'm mainly posting this so that I can (hopefully) look back in six months and laugh at how I was once 'only' running at 6 mins pace. In reality I'm more likely to look back, depressed, wishing I hadn't gotten lazy again. ;)

**** yes! :cool:

Postponing my start until June given exams coming up :o

Why postpone ?

Half an hour x three times a week is not going to effect your studies. If anything the break and temporary focus on something else will be beneficial.

• Advertisement

Why postpone ?

Half an hour x three times a week is not going to effect your studies. If anything the break and temporary focus on something else will be beneficial.

True, I was looking at doing my runs in the morning though. I'll go pick up the gear anyway some day this week and see how it goes :cool:

Advertisement