Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you like your steak ?

Options
  • 10-03-2014 9:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭

I am watching Mary Berry cooking steak on BBC2 and she only cooked them for less than 2 minutes on each side. She then cut one in half and proclaimed ''Perfect'' It was red raw in the middle ! ! Why bother cooking them ? Just eat it raw ! I could not eat a steak unless medium at a minimum.
    Am I missing something ? How do you like your steak ?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Well done, no blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

Medium rare with a bit of blood to mix in with the mashed potatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

Roasting hot barbecue, 3/4 to 1 inch thick piece of steak, brush one side with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper, place on bbq for 3 minutes on olive oil side, just before the 3 minutes is up on the cooking side, brush the raw side with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and turn over, cook for 3 minutes.
    After the 3 minutes, remove from bbq, place on a plate, smoother in bluecheese sauce with a side if chips and homemade battered mushrooms. Honestly you cant go wrong

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Rare to medium rare, at most. Can't be doing with chewy, stringy overcooked steak!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭finix

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Well done, no blood.

Kindered spirits !:)

• Advertisement

marvsins wrote: »
    Medium rare with a bit of blood to mix in with the mashed potatoes.
    Ah No !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Rare, yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

cut off the hooves and wipe its arse

billie1b wrote: »
    Roasting hot barbecue, 3/4 to 1 inch thick piece of steak, brush one side with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper, place on bbq for 3 minutes on olive oil side, just before the 3 minutes is up on the cooking side, brush the raw side with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and turn over, cook for 3 minutes.
    After the 3 minutes, remove from bbq, place on a plate, smoother in bluecheese sauce with a side if chips and homemade battered mushrooms. Honestly you cant go wrong
    Roasting Hot BBQ ? I might manage that. I like the bluecheese and mushroom bit !

Faith wrote: »
    Rare to medium rare, at most. Can't be doing with chewy, stringy overcooked steak!
    What defines rare ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Well done, not a trace of pink.

finix wrote: »
    Ah No !

Once you get accustomed to it, you'll wonder how you ever ate it any other way. Until I was about 18, I only ate cremated steak. Now I'd rather throw it out than eat well done steak*.

*I'd still eat it though, because it's bloody pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

Roasting Hot BBQ ? I might manage that. I like the bluecheese and mushroom bit !

Yeah, only way to eat steak, it could be snowing and ill light up the bbq for it, have done before. Can't eat it any other way

What defines rare ?

1b8f5a997bae88fa9557c4e21ee8eb84

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Rare, seared on the outside but pink all the way through. Although I don't like it cool in the centre so maybe my rare is another person's medium rare.

This is my idea of steak heaven

l.jpg

Once you get accustomed to it, you'll wonder how you ever ate it any other way. Until I was about 18, I only ate cremated steak. Now I'd rather throw it out than eat well done steak*.

*I'd still eat it though, because it's bloody pricey.
    How long would you cook a ''rare'' steak then ?

As for 'why bother cooking them ? Just eat it raw!', the contrast in flavour and texture between the just warm, juicy interior and the sealed exterior is gorgeous!
    I'm not saying it's always the case, but lots of people who declare that rare or medium rare meat is 'disgusting' or 'undercooked' have never tried it! Several of my relatives who would have been die-hard 'not just well done, cremated' steak eaters now love a rare or medium rare steak - the difference in flavour and texture is phenomenal.

Rare, seared on the outside but pink all the way through. Although I don't like it cool in the centre so maybe my rare is another person's medium rare.

This is my idea of steak heaven

l.jpg
    That's bloody RAW ! Rare is spelt RAW ! lol !

dee_mc wrote: »
    As for 'why bother cooking them ? Just eat it raw!', the contrast in flavour and texture between the just warm, juicy interior and the sealed exterior is gorgeous!
    I'm not saying it's always the case, but lots of people who declare that rare or medium rare meat is 'disgusting' or 'undercooked' have never tried it! Several of my relatives who would have been die-hard 'not just well done, cremated' steak eaters now love a rare or medium rare steak - the difference in flavour and texture is phenomenal.
    Can I bring my Brennans Batch ?:confused:

Can I bring my Brennans Batch ?:confused:

Mmmm steak sandwich!
    Feck this thread is making me hungry and I only had dinner half an hour ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Rare! Cant bare to see steak ruined by it being cremated. Most important thing about steak is that its at room temp. just before cooking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

It's really not. I do actually eat raw beef too though, beef carpaccio is a thing of glory

pic?http%3A%2F%2F2.bp.blogspot.com%2F_nUp3K_TabX4%2FTJMYWdKPchI%2FAAAAAAAAACQ%2FkLsjnFeKehw%2Fs1600%2Fbeef-carpaccio.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

Blue for a fillet
    Rare for sirloin
    Medium rare for Rib eye

Anyone getting over medium-rare for a fillet can come to my restaurant where we sell the cheapest well done fillets* - 15 euro burnt to a crisp ;-)

*may not be actual beef you won't know the difference though*

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

There are actually good scientific reasons why medium rare gives the best flavours and experience. It's down to enough heat to melt the flavour molecules into the juices but not too much heat to destroy them which removes the flavours completely.

You either enjoy steak or not and if you can't get over the whole, 'ewww, red food' problem then just eat some other food and don't bother with steak

00sully wrote: »
    Blue for a fillet
    Rare for sirloin
    Medium rare for Rib eye

Anyone getting over medium-rare for a fillet can come to my restaurant where we sell the cheapest well done fillets* - 15 euro burnt to a crisp ;-)

*may not be actual beef you won't know the difference though*
    I am afraid to ask but here goes...What is Blue ? ?

I am afraid to ask but here goes...What is Blue ? ?

Look at post number 15 in this thread. It's slightly less cooked than rare. Gorgeous if you've got a really good quality, tender steak

dee_mc wrote: »
    Look at post number 15 in this thread. It's slightly less cooked than rare. Gorgeous if you've got a really good quality, tender steak
    That's it ! I am opening a Restaurant for you lot here.
    National Blood Centre,
    James' Street,
    Dublin 8.
    Bookings now being taken..............

That's it ! I am opening a Restaurant for you lot here.
    National Blood Centre,
    James' Street,
    Dublin 8.
    Bookings now being taken..............

Ah do yourself a flavour, try a medium rare fillet and come back to us!

1b8f5a997bae88fa9557c4e21ee8eb84
    Blue ! 10-29 degrees ? That's only a hot day in Ireland, Food should be hotter then the ambient air temp ! I did not know there was so many vampires on Boards !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Medium Rare for a Fillet. Rare, while flavoursome, just has a texture that's not as enjoyable while masticating. Medium Rare retains the tenderness while giving you more of the flavours and texture from the grill.

Advertisement