Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,522 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

megadodge wrote: »
    It was deemed unfit by the very report that was used to deem it unfit before the 2012 Connacht Final. The relevant changes (the seriousness of which were laugably overstated by the crooks called Health & Safety) were made and it was deemed fit. The match was held and wonder of wonder nobody died!!! What a miracle!! However, last year that very same report was used as the excuse for not holding the Connacht final despite the fact that it was perfectly ok the year before.

Go figure what dodginess was behind that one.

The ground is ran down more so than dangerous .The HSA are a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Shouldn't any centre of excellence just piggy back on Strokestowns facilities Accessible n already at a good standard Plus it would create a serious rival to Brigids surely in Strokestown club itself

Brigids didn't get their structures handed to them and nor should Strokestown. By your logic St. Croan's in Ballintubber could be the location of the COE too. A lot of clubs could do with a facility facelift.

I would want any centre of excellence not to be linked to any club,it avoids the inevitable rows that would start .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

yabadabado wrote: »
    I would want any centre of excellence not to be linked to any club,it avoids the inevitable rows that would start .

the row will start location will be claimed by the club it is in.

roscommon need to get funding before they start any project. leitrim

COE is in a mess with no end in sight.

the row will start location will be claimed by the club it is in.

roscommon need to get funding before they start any project. leitrim

COE is in a mess with no end in sight.

We already have funding for the Hyde.

• Advertisement

Syferus wrote: »
    We already have funding for the Hyde.

If ye do Get on with it and start making Hyde a proud stadium once more.

If ye do Get on with it and start making Hyde a proud stadium once more.

It will start before the end of the year.

Good in the meantime Kilbride will have to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

what are the plans for the Hyde exactly? what are they doing to improve it?

Its all very vague so far with no definate plans/drawings in place

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

The ground is ran down more so than dangerous .The HSA are a disaster.

In all fairness, I've been hearing this type of language along with words like 'embarrassment' and 'eyesore' in the last few years and I'm quite puzzled. I've been to numerous games there in the same time and I'd like to hear what's so bad about it?

Genuine question, not sniping at anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Who do ye play this weekend lads?

Lemlin wrote: »
    Who do ye play this weekend lads?

Fermanagh away. Tough game. Last year they beat us by 6 points but were leading by 12 at one stage.

Fermanagh away. Tough game. Last year they beat us by 6 points but were leading by 12 at one stage.

I don't think they are as good this year and would expect ye to win comfortably tbh. They've gone rapidly backwards since the league last year IMO.

We played them in the first game and should have beat them by alot more.

In all fairness, I've been hearing this type of language along with words like 'embarrassment' and 'eyesore' in the last few years and I'm quite puzzled. I've been to numerous games there in the same time and I'd like to hear what's so bad about it?

the pitch itself is woeful if you've ever set foot on it

that needs doing for a start

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

From reading the Slattery report at the time they mentioned the cement steps,exits and toilets that had to be improved. A poor pitch doesn't come into it, for example Mayo spent millions on MacHale park and the pitch is still poor.
    I don't think they are as good this year and would expect ye to win comfortably tbh. They've gone rapidly backwards since the league last year IMO.

We played them in the first game and should have beat them by alot more.

In fairness Fermanagh's best forwards Sean and Seamus Quigley didn't play against Cavan. Roscommon might win but it would be surprising if Fermanagh are beaten comfortably at home.

In fairness Fermanagh's best forwards Sean and Seamus Quigley didn't play against Cavan. Roscommon might win but it would be surprising if Fermanagh are beaten comfortably at home.

Both played last year in the qualifiers and we still had them beaten by half time. They are a limited side and, for me, Roscommon are the best side in the Division. I'd expect ye to win all seven games the way things are going.

My only hope is that if that does occur, Cavan are right behind yas winning six. A lot is written about Cavan's underage success but people don't realise Roscommon have beaten us at minor, U21 and senior level on a number of occasions in the past few years.

Both played last year in the qualifiers and we still had them beaten by half time. They are a limited side and, for me, Roscommon are the best side in the Division. I'd expect ye to win all seven games the way things are going.

My only hope is that if that does occur, Cavan are right behind yas winning six. A lot is written about Cavan's underage success but people don't realise Roscommon have beaten us at minor, U21 and senior level on a number of occasions in the past few years.
    Seamus Quigley didn't play he has just returned to their panel and that game was played in Breffni Park. I would expect Cavan at home to beat Roscommon also and Roscommon can't afford to lose two games if they are to get promoted IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I'd just about tip Roscommon to win; the Quigleys are class but Fermanagh fell apart after going well ahead against Longford, who are no great shakes themselves.

I'm not sure that Fermanagh will be able to hold the Roscommon forwards though.

the pitch itself is woeful if you've ever set foot on it

that needs doing for a start

I couldn't agree more about the pitch.
    Being a Gaels man myself, I've trained and played countless matches on it and even 20+ years ago I was of the opinion that the pitch needed to be relaid.

However, that is not what the report was about and what all the whinging has been directed at.

From reading the Slattery report at the time they mentioned the cement steps,exits and toilets that had to be improved. .

I thought it was the cement seats? The walkways between them had to be widened by 18 inches or something ridiculous like that.

In any case they were all corrected before for the 2012 Connacht final (at a cost of c. 100k if I remember correctly) and in truth those 'problems' weren't problems at all, just another excuse for the existence of the Health & Safety 'industry'. The final was played in perfect safety, yet the following year the same report was used to prevent Roscommon being used, despite the fact that the report hadn't been updated or altered in any way.

It's all very suspicious.

• Advertisement

I thought it was the cement seats? The walkways between them had to be widened by 18 inches or something ridiculous like that.

In any case they were all corrected before for the 2012 Connacht final (at a cost of c. 100k if I remember correctly) and in truth those 'problems' weren't problems at all, just another excuse for the existence of the Health & Safety 'industry'. The final was played in perfect safety, yet the following year the same report was used to prevent Roscommon being used, despite the fact that the report hadn't been updated or altered in any way.

The cement steps were the main thing fixed before we got the go-ahead for the 2012 Connacht final, it was the reason the Connacht Council were trying to pushed through playing it elsewhere. The 100k figure is incorrect in that it includes the costly rewiring of the stand that was required regardless of Connacht finals.

Why it was dis-qualified last year and not the two previous years is very suspicious but it's hard to argue the dilapidated state of the Hyde is ideal.

From what I heard about what was mentioned during the committee meeting the Hyde re-development will involve demolishing the stone benches under the stand, a new pitch moved nearer the stand, flood-lighting. I'd assume if that much is true a new stand the opposite side is a given. The toilets, gates and shop need work too.

If done correctly the Hyde could again be an excellent ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

I dont Cate who they stick I front of us Wed beatthem when we're In this form

Syferus wrote: »
    The cement steps were the main thing fixed before we got the go-ahead for the 2012 Connacht final, it was the reason the Connacht Council were trying to pushed through playing it elsewhere. The 100k figure is incorrect in that it includes the costly rewiring of the stand that was required regardless of Connacht finals.

Why it was dis-qualified last year and not the two previous years is very suspicions but it's hard to argue the dilapidated state of the Hyde is ideal.

From what I heard about what was mentioned during the committee meeting the Hyde re-development will involve demolishing the stone benches under the stand, a new pitch moved nearer the stand, flood-lighting. I'd assume if that much is true a new stand the opposite side is a given. The toilets, gates and shop need work too.

If done correctly the Hyde could again be an excellent ground.

That could be said about many dilapidated grounds around the country in fairness. The crux of the issue here is whether it will be done, obviously it has potential to be an excellent ground

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

:eek::eek:

I wonder what the current dimensions are between all the concrete seating in McHale Park.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

An absolute lunatic of a game at Brewster Park, Ros were 3 points down, 4 up, 5 down, 8 up and won by 4. Ros 3-17 Fermanagh 4-10 in the end.

Had a stormer in the last 20 mins, outscoring Fermanagh by 2-8 to 1-2 but the defence sounded shaky whenever Fermanagh went direct. Conceding 4 goals is worrying whoever you play but I'd have taken a 1 point win in Enniskillen no matter what way it happened.

Cavan have beaten Sligo aswell so its them and Ros joint top of the Division. One game at a time but its looking good, that was a huge win.

Yes i meant cement seats. It does sound very suspicious. Good away result for Roscommon today nothing like a comfortably win. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

An absolute lunatic of a game at Brewster Park, Ros were 3 points down, 4 up, 5 down, 8 up and won by 4. Ros 3-17 Fermanagh 4-10 in the end.

Had a stormer in the last 20 mins, outscoring Fermanagh by 2-8 to 1-2 but the defence sounded shaky whenever Fermanagh went direct. Conceding 4 goals is worrying whoever you play but I'd have taken a 1 point win in Enniskillen no matter what way it happened.

Cavan have beaten Sligo aswell so its them and Ros joint top of the Division. One game at a time but its looking good, that was a huge win.

Shaping up to be a Ross Cavan showdown. I can see Longford taking care of Cavan next week and Ross should handle Offaly so a bit of blue space could open up. Unusual scoring patterns!! Around all the leagues there seems to be higher scoring. I wonder is the black card having effect

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Shaping up to be a Ross Cavan showdown. I can see Longford taking care of Cavan next week and Ross should handle Offaly so a bit of blue space could open up. Unusual scoring patterns!! Around all the leagues there seems to be higher scoring. I wonder is the black card having effect

Can't see Longford beating Cavan tbh... at this stage, I'd be absolutely shocked if ye didn't meet in the final. The game in the league stage will be an interesting warm-up.

Cavan have a very strong defence, ye have an excellent attack... Cavan's attack has misfired a bit, generally relying on one or two players, but never all at the same time... while ye're defence was opened up a few times against us; and then conceded 4 goals against Fermanagh. Should be a very interesting game.

I presume it won't be on tv, which is a pity, because I'm sure it'll be an excellent game.

Very entertaining game today and credit must go to Roscommon for their ability to keep bouncing back.

Some positives - Donie Shine had an excellent showing with some of his points top-notch; Murtagh is proving every bit as hard to mark at senior as he was at minor, an outstanding prospect; Higgins fielded well at midfield; Enda Smith proved again IMO that he is a better long-term prospect than his brother; when the going got tough Cathal Cregg really came to the fore, his goal was outstanding.

One enormous negative and the ongoing problem with Roscommon football for at least 20 years with very occasional exceptions (John Hanly's years and the first 15 minutes v Mayo last year) -

THE BREAKING BALL AT MIDFIELD !!!!

For the first three-quarters of the match I reckon Roscommon won just one breaking ball at midfield. It was incredibly frustrating to watch, knowing it has been such a huge problem for years. Two of Fermanagh's goals came directly from uncontested breaking ball. It just has to be addressed. Once we started winning ball there in the last quarter we tacked on scores almost effortlessly.

Anyway, it was a very good result for Roscommon and sets us up lovely for promotion and of course, winning is a habit.

• Advertisement

Very entertaining game today and credit must go to Roscommon for their ability to keep bouncing back.

Some positives - Donie Shine had an excellent showing with some of his points top-notch; Murtagh is proving every bit as hard to mark at senior as he was at minor, an outstanding prospect; Higgins fielded well at midfield; Enda Smith proved again IMO that he is a better long-term prospect than his brother; when the going got tough Cathal Cregg really came to the fore, his goal was outstanding.

One enormous negative and the ongoing problem with Roscommon football for at least 20 years with very occasional exceptions (John Hanly's years and the first 15 minutes v Mayo last year) -

THE BREAKING BALL AT MIDFIELD !!!!

For the first three-quarters of the match I reckon Roscommon won just one breaking ball at midfield. It was incredibly frustrating to watch, knowing it has been such a huge problem for years. Two of Fermanagh's goals came directly from uncontested breaking ball. It just has to be addressed. Once we started winning ball there in the last quarter we tacked on scores almost effortlessly.

Anyway, it was a very good result for Roscommon and sets us up lovely for promotion and of course, winning is a habit.

Donie's just as talented as Diarmuid. Two exceptional young FFs. Donie dominated the AI-winning Galway U21s last year and was our top scorer in the league, injury shouldn't allow us to forget how good he is for an underage lad.

Advertisement