Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making friends in the city

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

ClareAus wrote: »
    Hey guys!

I'm also in a similar boat…moved to Galway a few months back and finding it hard to make friends (arghh tough when you've left an awesome lot back home in Melbourne). I'm a 31 year-old from Melbourne, who's very easy-going, loves a good laugh and stimulating conversation and generally a good time (ooh this is sounding like a personal ad - eeep!). Everyone keeps telling me there are so many amazing things to do in galway, but i don't end up doing them, so want to pull my finger out and get into it! :)

If anyone feels like meeting up for a pint or a samosa at the saturday market or something, let me know. I also think the laughter club is meeting at the uni tomorrow night between 8-10, so considering doing that.

also because i'm not irish, i haven't been to giant's causeway so considering a trip there very soon if anyone wants to join and split the cost of petrol.

Careful Now! Pretty sure you'll get hit across the knuckles for putting up your e-mail and phone number...may be a better idea to put up a Twitter handle or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ClareAus

Thought i may have risked that - oops sorry peeps if that's an issue. Don't use twitter much. Only me who'll suffer if someone gets over friendly to be fair. I wouldn't have posted it if I was worried. But can remove if I've broken any forum rules :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 BelgradeGirl

If you organize something like gathering count me in. I would like to meet new people. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ClareAus

I'm going to be doing this tonight for a bit if something different if anyone would like to join put on by the Galway Laughter Club.

Hi all,
    Games and Laughter is on this Thursday (6/3/14) from 8-10pm in The VIEW in NUIG.

Cooperative and other games in the first hour followed by a tea break, laughter yoga, meditation and relaxation.
    Come 10 mins early if you have any games to play.

Any problem finding us, or other queries, call me on 08<snip>.

See you then. All welcome!
    brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Bowling n' Beerz sometime over Easter perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 clareguy25

Hello ClareAus, that would be cool to meet up some time, i wont be able to afford the giants causeway though. also in case you havent heard of it, u can try meetup.com just type in galwayand there are roughly 25 groups, from walking groups, (my sister started one) to a choir and a 30s social group :).

But i do hope us interested on here can be something and have the craic! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Racheymoo

Hi all,
    I would very much like to meet some new people (36, F, love music GSOH etc) :D
    I've been in Galway a few months and missing my friends rather a lot!
    Rachel.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gonein20secs

Yeah i'd be up for a game of bowling. Could be a bit of craic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

It could be a "Galway Easter Beerz" as such, preceded by a game of Bowling? :) I think Biko and a few were on about having a Beerz there lately, don't know if it happened, so could tie in some Bowling with an Easter Beerz perhaps?

ClareAus wrote: »
    Hey guys!

I'm also in a similar boat…moved to Galway a few months back and finding it hard to make friends (arghh tough when you've left an awesome lot back home in Melbourne). I'm a 31 year-old from Melbourne, who's very easy-going, loves a good laugh and stimulating conversation and generally a good time (ooh this is sounding like a personal ad - eeep!). Everyone keeps telling me there are so many amazing things to do in galway, but i don't end up doing them, so want to pull my finger out and get into it! :)

If anyone feels like meeting up for a pint or a samosa at the saturday market or something, let me know. I also think the laughter club is meeting at the uni tomorrow night between 8-10, so considering doing that.

Clareguy25, gonein20secs, Gosh_idiots and co. let's do something! I might forget to check this board, so drop me a text or email - [email]<snip>[/email] / 08 <snip>

also because i'm not irish, i haven't been to giant's causeway so considering a trip there very soon if anyone wants to join and split the cost of petrol.
    I'm up for Giant's Causewaying sometime, I've been in Ireland 17 years and not made it there yet so would love to! :)

• Advertisement

Anybody fancy meeting for a drink in Beirhouse or suchlike next Wednesday eve after 6?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

I contemplated reviving the book club thread but I might give it a shot here. I'd like to get a book club together. I am specifically into the fantasy genre so I'd love to get together with people who are into that too.
    Just bough The Gospel of Loki by Joanne Harris today so if anyone else is reading it, it might be nice to have a chat over a glass of wine or whatnot?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lennyd

Racheymoo wrote: »
    Anybody fancy meeting for a drink in Beirhouse or suchlike next Wednesday eve after 6?

I'd be on for something like that!

Dutchess wrote: »
    I contemplated reviving the book club thread but I might give it a shot here. I'd like to get a book club together. I am specifically into the fantasy genre so I'd love to get together with people who are into that too.
    Just bough The Gospel of Loki by Joanne Harris today so if anyone else is reading it, it might be nice to have a chat over a glass of wine or whatnot?:)

Isn't that yer wan that wrote Chocolat?? I obviously need to expand my literary knowledge :) Was going to go along to the Charlie Byrnes book club - you might want to go to that one if you don't get enough numbers through boards.

Joanna Harris is doing a talk as part of the Cuirt Literary Festival in Galway this year :)

Well if there ever was a sign I'm supposed to attend something, there it is :)

Joanne Harris sorry, not Joanna! :/

Racheymoo wrote: »
    Joanne Harris sorry, not Joanna! :/

She's going to bar you from her talk!!

I know! That's why I rectified it as soon as I realised my heinous error!

Right then, there's two of us going to the Joanne (NOT Joanna) Harris talk. :)

• Advertisement

Cool :) If I'm not working I will definitely be going and, looks like just the two of us Beirhousing on Wed?

Ah the rest of them are probably hungover today and couldn't type even if they wanted to! There was feck all in the gym earlier, there's a lot to be said for not going out on a Sat night.

Well, I didn't go out but I still managed to generate a hangover haha!

Good woman - i'm going to guess it's wine induced?

Indeed. In fairness to myself, it's my first hangover since new years day. So, have you made any new friends since joining this thread? It's MUCH easier to make friends when you're five. It's just not the done thing to walk up to people and ask them if they want to play in the sandpit with you when you're in your 30s. Apparently.

Was lurking around yesterday and said why the heck not. So no haven't gone along to anything that people have organised. If you built a sandpit for adults - it would make you a fortune! No right place to bring my bucket and spade. This needs to be further discussed over beers.

Sounds like a promising business opportunity!

Amusingly, this just popped up in my Facebook feed - http://www.boredpanda.com/amazing-home-interior-design-ideas/ with the sand one as the link picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

lennyd wrote: »
    Isn't that yer wan that wrote Chocolat?? I obviously need to expand my literary knowledge :) Was going to go along to the Charlie Byrnes book club - you might want to go to that one if you don't get enough numbers through boards.

It is that one indeed! I saw Charlie Byrnes has one on alright but their choices don't overly interest me looking at their history. I think there might be people from my job going to it too and I prefer to do something where work doesn't get mentioned;)

Thanks to that work I don't think I can go to that talk either, shame because I'd love to!:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Go in some sort of disguise dutchess :D

Advertisement