Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

And here I am, too young to have ever experienced a proper Rag Week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Wait. Did the University send round an all student email about Rag Week? Thereby alerting all students to Rag Week?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

They have done it a few times this year, alerting people to the fact that events in the town are not connected to the Students' Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Ah ye olde rag week, like Christmas Day on Heisenberg meth. I being a social phobic individual have only ever seen one out here when I started in 2008/9 it was like that scene in Family Guy when Peter and Brian fly to Ireland, booze bottles and cans everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

banquo wrote: »
    Wait. Did the University send round an all student email about Rag Week? Thereby alerting all students to Rag Week?

University = GENIUS !! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

So I'm not around campus much these days, but apparently there's something about the college/SU in the Sunday World?

:pac:

I've seen it.

And as someone who's spent half their time in newspapers offices the last few years, I can tell you to never, ever believe what you read in the Sunday World.

If you read through the article you'll see that it's almost entirely conjecture and some reporter desperately trying to get to 400 words with the 'controversy'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

What's the story about?

1690184_10203153632779614_105233825_n.jpg

If you replace words that judge with words that describe, it basically just says there was a party in Maynooth and strippers were hired by people who are not Mal Callan.

Lordy do I despair for print journalism in Ireland. I remember once my Uncle was on the front page of every red top (for a good thing!) and every single one gave him a different name, country of origin and achievement.

• Advertisement

Short version: STRIPPERS IN SU. Omg, so bad.

Actual version:

1. Exotic Dancers were advertised as going to be part of the event.
    2. They were hired by people with zero affiliation to the SU - the bar and SU staff didn't even know they were in the building at the time.
    3.They were billed as Dancers and not Strippers. They went further in the aul stripping direction than, by all accounts, most people expected.
    4. Nothing illegal happened.
    5. Anybody who didn't like it was free to leave.
    6. The current SU officers aren't even working there at the moment, because they're running for election.
    6. Everyonecalmdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Everyone doesn't need to calm down. If it turns out that this was paid for by the SU (which you can't disprove banquo, unless the fact that you were once president means you still have access to the accounts, something I doubt), I will create a ton of trouble about this. Hell, I'm going to do that regardless cause that's just how I roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Seren_ wrote: »
    Everyone doesn't need to calm down. If it turns out that this was paid for by the SU (which you can't disprove banquo, unless the fact that you were once president means you still have access to the accounts, something I doubt), I will create a ton of trouble about this. Hell, I'm going to do that regardless cause that's just how I roll.

Why? No one was hurt and if it was a stunt pulled by Mal's pals I can't see how the SU is being held responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭littleblackDRS

Why? It seems silly getting so worked up over something that is so trivial in reality.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Why? No one was hurt and if it was a stunt pulled by Mal's pals I can't see how the SU is being held responsible.

Well the event was held on SU grounds, in the SU's own bar so quite a few people are questioning how it is possible for nobody within the SU to have had no idea about it, and once it transpired why security weren't asked to stop the event immediately..

And if it was paid for by SU funds, that'll open up an even bigger can of worms. I don't pay my student levy with the intention of my money being used to fund "exotic dancers" as entertainment.

Have FemSoc or any other groups on campus weighed in on the matter yet?
    :confused:

Nobody seemed to mind the exotic dancers at the Beach Ball, Fresher's Ball or the striptease by a drag queen before.

But hey, it's election season.

It was paid for partly by Mal's friends and partly by the NUIM soccer team (out of their own pockets.)

Having exotic dancers at your party is fine. Legal and consensual. Don't like it, don't go. Problem was that they went further than anyone involved expected it and some people at it - naturally! - ended up feeling uncomfortable and left. But I think it's safe to say that if anyone in the SU had known that it was going to turn into a full blown Strip then they'd have definitely prevented it!

Edit: It only went on for 10-15 minutes, with the last few minutes being the culprit so there wasn't the time for security to shut it down. So that's just a logistical problem.

Well the event was held on SU grounds, in the SU's own bar so quite a few people are questioning how it is possible for nobody within the SU to have had no idea about it, and once it transpired why security weren't asked to stop the event immediately..

And if it was paid for by SU funds, that'll open up an even bigger can of worms. I don't pay my student levy with the intention of my money being used to fund "exotic dancers" as entertainment.

Have FemSoc or any other groups on campus weighed in on the matter yet?
    :confused:

The SU were not involved in ordering the dancers, even the sensationalist newspaper articles says as much. There is no proof it was paid for by the SU. Why would the SU throw people out who are spending money in the bar? If no one was being harmed, let them at it. No one was being forced to attend.

If it transpired the SU funded it, I would be disappointed but if not then I think anyone giving out is being precious.

22 people in the forum at the minute - that a record?

banquo wrote: »
    Nobody seemed to mind the exotic dancers at the Beach Ball, Fresher's Ball or the striptease by a drag queen before.

But hey, it's election season.

It was paid for partly by Mal's friends and partly by the NUIM soccer team (out of their own pockets.)

Having exotic dancers at your party is fine. Legal and consensual. Don't like it, don't go. Problem was that they went further than anyone involved expected it and some people at it - naturally! - ended up feeling uncomfortable and left. But I think it's safe to say that if anyone in the SU had known that it was going to turn into a full blown Strip then they'd have definitely prevented it!

Well if I'm honest, this is the first I've heard of that actively advertised that kind of entertainment in the SU but had I had heard of it previous, I would've had an objection to that too.

But my question it, that once it escalated to that point, past anyone had expected, why wasn't it shut down immediately?

*As I've said I'm not on campus so I'm not 100% au fait with all the details so if I've gotten something wrong, my apologies*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Maynooth is a toxic environment for anyone who isn't up for a "bitta banter". This is an issue because its just one more example of the SU being misogynist. And I'm sick of it and being represented by them.

Actually, you know what? I couldn't even give a shyte about trying to change this. I've already spent too much time trying and nothing has changed. Can't wait until I finish my course and get the fcuk out of this college.

• Advertisement

Maynooth is a toxic environment for anyone who isn't up for a "bitta banter".

Where you forced to sit and watch? Jesus talk about an overreaction. I wouldn't be a huge fan of what went on either but I wont begrudge the people who were.

@Jellybeans

Ah, a fair point. Had it been a longer event it almost certainly would have been shut down super fast - security in NUIM are pretty quick, I can tell you that much...

From what I've heard from people who where there, it was about 15 minutes long, but the last 5 of those minutes were, like, waaaaay beyond what anyone expected. So it was over pretty fast.

I do think it's much ado about nothing. If the SU had paid for it that'd be a different story altogether, but from what I've gathered it was very a much a "Right they're ... they're actually just stripping now ... right ... ****." But it seems to be a fairly harmless passing of events. Most of the fuss seems to be coming from people who a) Just don't like Mal, and don't complain when people who are not Mal organise similar dancers (who don't turn out to be strippers) b) Are on the election team for the other guy, or c) The people who get up in arms when you use Israeli cheese on your toast

Actually when was the SU misogynist in the past? Genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

example of the SU being misogynist.

If anything I would say the opposite, females were paid to dance but no males were? Why are female exotic dancers considered as more worthy than male exotic dancers.

GarIT wrote: »
    If anything I would say the opposite, females were paid to dance but no males were? Why are female exotic dancers considered as more worthy than male exotic dancers.

The SU recently ran a "take me out" night where men get judged by a panel of women. No mention of that though.

Where you forced to sit and watch? Jesus talk about an overreaction. I wouldn't be a huge fan of what went on either but I wont begrudge the people who were.

Agreed. There is a particular branch of contradictory thinking that fascinates me. It goes along the lines of:

Gay marriage: As long as it's legal and consensual, why be against it? What other people do doesn't affect you so you really have no right to oppose it.

Exotic dancers for a party: No no no I don't like you doing that.

I wouldn't go to one of these events, not wild about them personally, but I can't have it both ways.

GarIT wrote: »

They were in DCU. Little mention of that.

Though that's probably because it's in a different college in fairness...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Even if these people were paid by the SU or even more specifically the SU paid them to strip what would be the problem? The dancers were happy to get paid, the majority of the audience were happy with the show, I don't see the problem. I remember last year there was a fear factor show, some of that made me feel sick, so I just looked away when I wanted to, I didn't go on a rant about it (and believe me I rant a lot).

Is it really necessary for me to point out that these women chose to do what they do, they weren't forced to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

I'm no more outraged at this than any other woeful 'events' the SU has put on in the three years I've been here. Storm in a teacup lads.

• Advertisement

Actually when was the SU misogynist in the past? Genuine question.

Anyone? 4 years here and I can't recall anything.

Advertisement